Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ode to "let's talk about" ll

(This post was last modified: 12-15-2020, 08:34 PM by Jags.)

(12-15-2020, 08:26 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(12-15-2020, 08:05 PM)Jags Wrote: Yes, I’m on the fence about the solstice.  I like the novelty of having shorter days and it getting darker earlier.  But I also find myself heading to bed a bit early as well.  Either way, I’m  excited to check out the planets.  Unfortunately, we lll have to leave my house.  I have preserves behind my house.  Which face E SSE S SSW & W.  My house is about 80 feet from Florida’s most majestic and boring long leaf pines.

Planted in rows, or natural?

It’s all natural.  It was also the largest natural woods around in my area until they decided to build a 10,000 home subdivision spanning from cr 210 to WGV.  Either way, I still have privacy and no view of this upcoming awesomeness.

There’s some other wood in there and some palmetto. But mostly our boring pine

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-16-2020, 08:57 AM by RicoTx.)

Welp, spent the entire day in the dark (literally) yesterday...and cold.  It's barely cracked 40 the last two days.  Had the entire breaker panel updated and replaced.

Guess what?  It wasn't cheap.

Oh well, got all of the leaves raked up.  Being reminded of my growing up days in PA.  Maple trees have really big leaves...and lots of them.  This was the third round of raking.  Should be one more small one.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(12-16-2020, 08:55 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Welp, spent the entire day in the dark (literally) yesterday...and cold.  It's barely cracked 40 the last two days.  Had the entire breaker panel updated and replaced.

Oh well, got all of the leaves raked up.  Being reminded of my growing up days in PA.  Maple trees have really big leaves...and lots of them.  This was the third round of raking.  Should be one more small one.

Just how old are you?   Big Grin

(12-16-2020, 04:53 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 08:55 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Welp, spent the entire day in the dark (literally) yesterday...and cold.  It's barely cracked 40 the last two days.  Had the entire breaker panel updated and replaced.

Just how old are you?   Big Grin

He's from the dark ages.

(12-16-2020, 05:01 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 04:53 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Just how old are you?   Big Grin

He's from the dark ages.

Seriously.  Who “rakes” anymore.  Smile

Blow them bad boys out.  Or mulch ‘em up with the mower.

(12-16-2020, 05:43 PM)Jags Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 05:01 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: He's from the dark ages.

Um, people from the dark ages.

(12-16-2020, 05:50 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 05:43 PM)Jags Wrote: Seriously.  Who “rakes” anymore.  Smile

Um, people from the dark ages.
I was concurring with your assessment of the situation.  I even attempted to find a knight or someone similar raking leaves on google images to no avail.  All I found was this: 

[Image: br600.png?preset=Product.ProductDetails]

(This post was last modified: 12-16-2020, 06:28 PM by RicoTx.)

(12-16-2020, 05:01 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 04:53 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Just how old are you?   Big Grin

He's from the dark ages.

No, we had electricity.

(12-16-2020, 05:43 PM)Jags Wrote:

Have you ever seen a northern lawn that contains six 30+ foot maple trees?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 12-16-2020, 06:49 PM by Jags.)

(12-16-2020, 06:27 PM)RicoTx Wrote:

No, we had electricity.

(12-16-2020, 05:43 PM)Jags Wrote: Seriously.  Who “rakes” anymore.  Smile

Perhaps not that number of maples, but I in fact grew up in the same area as you’ve disclosed above.  I grew up in Swathmore PA.  And had to do the lawn work as a kid.  The image above will take care of any leaves, small rocks and even dog turds.  It’s a bit pricey. But even if I didn’t do lawn work, I’ve grown to appreciate a quality tool to handle such tasks.   If I didn’t do lawns, then d be keep all my “2 cycles” (they’re mostly all 4 cycle that somehow still takes the 50:1 mix).  After gaining that knowledge, I have purchased higher end woodworking tools and wow, what a difference.  I’m not trying to make light of your situation. I’m sure your job was pretty nasty.  But the point being, the right equipment will last you forever and make a job that would last hours into something that lasts a fraction of the time with similar or better results.

My dad is painting a couple rooms in his house.  Him and I have always used the “best” stuff from the box stores.  I purchased 25.00 rollers from a professional place.  It was ridiculous to spend that much but I was curious.  I’ll tell you this, I was glad I bought a darn roller 4 times more expensive.   That’s the way to do it.  You see videos of people doing a “w” on the wall and filling it in.  With the box store rollers, half the paint is gone.  With the “good” stuff, that “w” was solid!   I even used less paint than I calculated, had better coverage and better results.  Just saying.

And even the n Florida, I have a few clients that have sicamore trees. Those leave in small quantities mulch up great. This time of year, not so much. Same with oak leaves. There’s a fine line of too big or too small that a mower can mulch and give a clean result. When the mower doesn’t handle it, the blower is our best friend. You don’t need a $600.00 blower. It’ll last you the rest of your life and you’ll be happy. But even a nice or higher end residential should foot the Bill. Save your back. If a neighbor has a fence (or you) blow them al ina corner and bag them, burn them, out into a conservation area, whichever applies. Easy peasy. Granted we had multiple people on the crew. But we did 4 of those today along with our Norma mowing before the rain hit. Make life easy for yourself

(12-16-2020, 06:36 PM)Jags Wrote:
My dad is painting a couple rooms in his house.  Him and I have always used the “best” stuff from the box stores.  I purchased 25.00 rollers from a professional place.  It was ridiculous to spend that much but I was curious.  I’ll tell you this, I was glad I bought a darn roller 4 times more expensive.   That’s the way to do it.  You see videos of people doing a “w” on the wall and filling it in.  With the box store rollers, half the paint is gone.  With the “good” stuff, that “w” was solid!   I even used less paint than I calculated, had better coverage and better results.  Just saying.

Where does the paint "go" with a cheap roller, if not on the wall?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(12-16-2020, 06:51 PM)Sneakers Wrote:

Where does the paint "go" with a cheap roller, if not on the wall?

Idk, stuck on the [BLEEP] roller? Who knows.  All I can say is those 25 dollar rollers were freaking amazing

(12-16-2020, 06:54 PM)Jags Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 06:51 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Where does the paint "go" with a cheap roller, if not on the wall?

Idk, stuck on the [BLEEP] roller? Who knows.  All I can say is those 25 dollar rollers were freaking amazing

Have you ever used intumescent paint?  Now that stuff is annoying, especially on ceilings.  It smells funny and goes on like oatmeal!

(12-16-2020, 06:54 PM)Jags Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 06:51 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Where does the paint "go" with a cheap roller, if not on the wall?

It stays in the roller for sure. Have you ever tried to clean a roller to wrap and reuse the next day? The amount of paint that comes out even though you rolled until nothing was showing up on the wall is ridiculous. I hate the idea of spending $25 on a roller but I'm tired of wasting paint. Was it a specific brand, or are there not many $25 rollers to choose from?

Had two days off decided to butcher my two Yorkshire pigs that was fun first time got about 300lbs of pork on the deep freezer
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(12-17-2020, 01:08 PM)EricC85 Wrote: Had two days off decided to butcher my two Yorkshire pigs that was fun first time got about 300lbs of pork on the deep freezer

Barnyard animals eye your work schedule with dread.

(12-17-2020, 01:08 PM)EricC85 Wrote: Had two days off decided to butcher my two Yorkshire pigs that was fun first time got about 300lbs of pork on the deep freezer

How did you learn the process?

(This post was last modified: 12-17-2020, 04:55 PM by Jags.)

(12-17-2020, 11:35 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 06:54 PM)Jags Wrote: Idk, stuck on the [BLEEP] roller? Who knows.  All I can say is those 25 dollar rollers were freaking amazing

It stays in the roller for sure. Have you ever tried to clean a roller to wrap and reuse the next day? The amount of paint that comes out even though you rolled until nothing was showing up on the wall is ridiculous. I hate the idea of spending $25 on a roller but I'm tired of wasting paint. Was it a specific brand, or are there not many $25 rollers to choose from?

Fun fact, if you are going to use the roller the next day you can just wrap it up tightly after putting a tad bit of paint on it.  It won’t dry out and will be ready to go the next day!   

I don’t know what brand the expensive ones were.  I got them at sherwin Williams after watching “pros” grab a couple.  Asked the guy at the counter and he recommended them.  I took a chance and am glad I did.

(12-17-2020, 08:19 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 06:54 PM)Jags Wrote: Idk, stuck on the [BLEEP] roller? Who knows.  All I can say is those 25 dollar rollers were freaking amazing

Have you ever used intumescent paint?  Now that stuff is annoying, especially on ceilings.  It smells funny and goes on like oatmeal!
Sure haven’t.  Doesn’t sound like it would be fun either.  But i also can’t stand painting in general.

I got an email from Verizon. I deleted it but it was about “touch less delivery”.

Well, I’ll be darned. There’s this chick delivering Publix groceries. I’ve seen her at a clients house and again at a neighbor of another client in another neighborhood. That email got me thinking. If there is a up charge for delivery with contact, I’ll start having my groceries delivered. Daily!

(12-16-2020, 06:27 PM)RicoTx Wrote: No, we had electricity.

The image above will take care of any leaves, small rocks and even dog turds.  

The blower is great for leaves, but there's a better way to get rid of the dog turds.  Wait until they firm up in the cold weather, then get out there with your hockey stick.  Have fun launching them into your neighbor's yard while you're getting in practice on your wrist shot!