Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars coaching candidates? (merged coaching threads)

(01-13-2021, 06:34 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: If it's Meyer and Baalke, we wasted this great opportunity.

Unless that combo wins of course.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-13-2021, 02:13 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 01:57 AM)Adub28 Wrote: Sounds like it is going to be Urban and Trent Balke......hope that rumor is wrong!!!

Wouldn’t surprise me. Shad wants to go Jerry Jones style. He was in full control of the roster last season according to him. Makes sense he wants to retain the interim guy who is making no decisions.

He never said he was in full control. He said he was involved. 

100 bucks says he won’t go full Jurrah.

(01-13-2021, 08:22 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 06:34 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: If it's Meyer and Baalke, we wasted this great opportunity.

Unless that combo wins of course.

I'd be very happy if I was wrong, but like a lot of other people on this board, I don't think it will work. I think it would be a lazy hire, especially Baalke.

(01-13-2021, 10:00 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 08:22 AM)hb1148 Wrote: Unless that combo wins of course.

I'd be very happy if I was wrong, but like a lot of other people on this board, I don't think it will work. I think it would be a lazy hire, especially Baalke.

I think Baalke was promised the job if he could bring in Meyer. If we hire Meyer, I guarantee we get Baalke. Which is what I called from the beginning. So much for cleaning house and starting fresh.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(01-13-2021, 10:08 AM)Dimson Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 10:00 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'd be very happy if I was wrong, but like a lot of other people on this board, I don't think it will work. I think it would be a lazy hire, especially Baalke.

I think Baalke was promised the job if he could bring in Meyer. If we hire Meyer, I guarantee we get Baalke. Which is what I called from the beginning. So much for cleaning house and starting fresh.

It would certainly show that Khan has no clue what he is doing.

Absolutely.
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]

PFT article published by Mike Florio earlier this morning:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...guars-job/

It’s no secret that the Jaguars coaching job is Urban Meyer’s if he wants it. There’s a growing sense in league circles that he does.

Rumors are spreading late Tuesday/early Wednesday that Meyer is close to taking the job, and that if he does he’d likely retain interim G.M. Trent Baalke.

This is a window into word that’s making the rounds in league circles, specifically among coaches. It’s not a report that Meyer has taken the job. It’s a head’s up, a peeling back of the curtain, insight into the chatter that’s currently making the rounds.

It’s clear that the Jaguars have essentially shut down their search as they speak with Meyer. They interviewed Titans offensive coordinator Arthur Smith on Sunday night, but the request was made before they interviewed Meyer on Friday. There’s no real cost to going through with it; if nothing else, they had a chance to pick the brain of a guy who, if he doesn’t leave the Titans, will remain in the division next year.

The Jaguars have done nothing to push back on the perception/reality that Meyer has become the team’s first choice for the job, even as reports have spread that Meyer has made calls to potential staff members and General Managers.

As of Monday, the feeling was he’d wait until after Ohio State played in the National Championship to finalize things. And, like so many other situations of this nature (and as a team like the Colts well knows), it’s not done until it’s done.

If this franchise hires Urban [BLEEP] Meyer to coach this team and just gives him free reign we're looking at another decade of sucking. We will waste Trevor's career. He'll be in Watson's shoes 5 years from now.

This is Blake Bortles extension level stupid. It's Blaine Gabbert over Watt stupid. It's drafting a 3rd round punter stupid.

Don't know why I'm even surprised. If Khan hires him, he officially has no [BLEEP] clue what he's doing.

(01-13-2021, 10:33 AM)JaguarKick Wrote: If this franchise hires Urban [BLEEP] Meyer to coach this team and just gives him free reign we're looking at another decade of sucking.  We will waste Trevor's career.  He'll be in Watson's shoes 5 years from now.

This is Blake Bortles extension level stupid.  It's Blaine Gabbert over Watt stupid.  It's drafting a 3rd round punter stupid.

Don't know why I'm even surprised.  If Khan hires him, he officially has no [BLEEP] clue what he's doing.

Yeah man. Baalke will just be a puppet. Urban will be the GM also.  We gonna be looking like Utah and OSU running rpo's.  He probably gonna acquire Alex Smith and Cardele Jones.

(01-13-2021, 10:33 AM)JaguarKick Wrote: If this franchise hires Urban [BLEEP] Meyer to coach this team and just gives him free reign we're looking at another decade of sucking.  We will waste Trevor's career.  He'll be in Watson's shoes 5 years from now.

This is Blake Bortles extension level stupid.  It's Blaine Gabbert over Watt stupid.  It's drafting a 3rd round punter stupid.

Don't know why I'm even surprised.  If Khan hires him, he officially has no [BLEEP] clue what he's doing.

I'm not quite ready to go this far off the deep end this early, but man the optics of bringing in Meyer and retaining the interim GM reallllly looks bad. What happened to cleaning house? I get it's Shads team, his money, fine. I thought he wanted to make the Jaguars a winner though?? Time will tell.

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2021, 10:46 AM by imtheblkranger.)

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/stat...70497?s=20

What a [BLEEP] waste

(01-13-2021, 10:46 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/stat...70497?s=20

What a [BLEEP] waste

Yeah, see above. I just posted this a few minutes ago Smile

Has any QB Meyer has ever coached been good in the NFL? I don't think so.

So sure, let's hand him the keys to Trevor Lawrence. [BLEEP] stupid.

(01-13-2021, 10:50 AM)JaguarKick Wrote: Has any QB Meyer has ever coached been good in the NFL?  I don't think so.  

So sure, let's hand him the keys to Trevor Lawrence.  [BLEEP] stupid.

Well, turn it around.  If Meyer can win national championships with the crappy QBs he's had, why can't he win with a really good one like Trevor Lawrence?

(01-13-2021, 10:50 AM)JaguarKick Wrote: Has any QB Meyer has ever coached been good in the NFL?  I don't think so.  

Alex Smith is probably his most successful QB.

And this is out of everyone from Utah, Florida, Ohio State (during his coaching tenure and under Jason Day)

It would be awfully hard to come up with a more disappointing duo than Urban and Baalke considering the power position we were in.

(01-13-2021, 11:09 AM)Upper Wrote: It would be awfully hard to come up with a more disappointing duo than Urban and Baalke considering the power position we were in.

Pretty much. I think Khan gets caught up in names and nostalgia. He did the same with Coughlin. Very disappointing.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(01-13-2021, 11:09 AM)Upper Wrote: It would be awfully hard to come up with a more disappointing duo than Urban and Baalke considering the power position we were in.

Agree completely.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(01-13-2021, 10:59 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

Well, turn it around.  If Meyer can win national championships with the crappy QBs he's had, why can't he win with a really good one like Trevor Lawrence?

College =/= NFL.  If we hire Urban Trevor will be the same QB he is right now.  He does not develop his players.  He inherits them.  Look how long it took Alex Smith to be any good in the NFL.

I just don't get Baalke. He took a team from 13-3 to 2-14, becoming ESPN's worst sports franchise in North America in 2016.

I found this editorial written when he was named interim GM - he really doesn't sound like a good choice.

https://blackandteal.com/2020/11/30/jack...nt-baalke/
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]