Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Anyone else dealing with planned armed marches in their area?

(01-13-2021, 06:43 PM)Norman Mushari Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 09:39 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Not yet, but it doesnt concern me, since most firearm owners are responsible.

Now, if they were protesting with molotov cocktails, I'd be concerned.

Open carry people aren't the same breed as the responsible gun owner people.

Not true at all.  I can take you to places in the southwest where everybody pretty much openly carries.  Interesting fact:  those towns have very little to no crime.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-13-2021, 06:43 PM)Norman Mushari Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 09:39 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Not yet, but it doesnt concern me, since most firearm owners are responsible.

Now, if they were protesting with molotov cocktails, I'd be concerned.

Open carry people aren't the same breed as the responsible gun owner people.

That is largely true. If you feel the need to walk around "packing heat" 24/7, you're basically looking for trouble. I am a staunch backer of the 2nd Amendment, but there is a time and place for everything. I believe we should be considerate of others and some people are scared to death of guns. When you look around and see certain protesters in fatigues and carrying semi-automatic weapons, it's gonna rub onlookers the wrong way. People should be able to protest without bringing weapons. It makes them look like a bunch of backwoods "hilljacks" without any common sense. As a white guy in America, it reflects badly on all of us and then BLM and Antifa end up showing up to counter protest the protesters.

(01-13-2021, 07:40 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 06:43 PM)Norman Mushari Wrote: Open carry people aren't the same breed as the responsible gun owner people.

That is largely true. If you feel the need to walk around "packing heat" 24/7, you're basically looking for trouble. I am a staunch backer of the 2nd Amendment, but there is a time and place for everything. I believe we should be considerate of others and some people are scared to death of guns. When you look around and see certain protesters in fatigues and carrying semi-automatic weapons, it's gonna rub onlookers the wrong way. People should be able to protest without bringing weapons. It makes them look like a bunch of backwoods "hilljacks" without any common sense. As a white guy in America, it reflects badly on all of us and then BLM and Antifa end up showing up to counter protest the protesters.

I am not sure I agree with the first few sentences.  One could also say that if it’s permitted to openly carry, one would do so not so much to “look for a problem” but more so “problems, go look elsewhere”.  That being said, the last half I see your point.  Wearing fatigues and carrying does make one look like a loon.  I can’t argue that.  Even if open carry is allowed.

(01-13-2021, 08:44 PM)Jags Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 07:40 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: That is largely true. If you feel the need to walk around "packing heat" 24/7, you're basically looking for trouble. I am a staunch backer of the 2nd Amendment, but there is a time and place for everything. I believe we should be considerate of others and some people are scared to death of guns. When you look around and see certain protesters in fatigues and carrying semi-automatic weapons, it's gonna rub onlookers the wrong way. People should be able to protest without bringing weapons. It makes them look like a bunch of backwoods "hilljacks" without any common sense. As a white guy in America, it reflects badly on all of us and then BLM and Antifa end up showing up to counter protest the protesters.

I am not sure I agree with the first few sentences.  One could also say that if it’s permitted to openly carry, one would do so not so much to “look for a problem” but more so “problems, go look elsewhere”.  That being said, the last half I see your point.  Wearing fatigues and carrying does make one look like a loon.  I can’t argue that.  Even if open carry is allowed.

There's a big difference between conceal and carry guys who have a small pistol hidden in their jacket or tucked in their pants under a coat where people can't see it and these "jackwads" who openly walk around with semi-automatic rifles. Those are the people that you have to worry about. There's something not right with them.

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2021, 08:59 PM by mikesez.)

(01-13-2021, 08:55 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 08:44 PM)Jags Wrote: I am not sure I agree with the first few sentences.  One could also say that if it’s permitted to openly carry, one would do so not so much to “look for a problem” but more so “problems, go look elsewhere”.  That being said, the last half I see your point.  Wearing fatigues and carrying does make one look like a loon.  I can’t argue that.  Even if open carry is allowed.

There's a big difference between conceal and carry guys who have a small pistol hidden in their jacket or tucked in their pants under a coat where people can't see it and these "jackwads" who openly walk around with semi-automatic rifles. Those are the people that you have to worry about. There's something not right with them.

100% amen.
When concealed carry is the law of the land, the people who want to try something will have to guess who is carrying and who is not, and that puts them at a disadvantage.  Spooks them. Both the people who carry and the people who don't carry benefit.
I'm a big proponent of concealed carry.
But open carry doesn't add any benefits.
All the bad guys may feel free to assume that if they don't see a weapon there is no weapon.
Fortunately, even in states where it's legal, open carry is rarely practiced.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2021, 09:16 PM by Jags.)

(01-13-2021, 08:59 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 08:55 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: There's a big difference between conceal and carry guys who have a small pistol hidden in their jacket or tucked in their pants under a coat where people can't see it and these "jackwads" who openly walk around with semi-automatic rifles. Those are the people that you have to worry about. There's something not right with them.
I’m sorry, I can’t agree with this either.  Out of sight, out of mind.  If I were to decide to commit a crime and see a guy a fifty yards away carrying, I may think twice.  If I don’t see it and commit the crime, he may or may not even see or be aware I committed a crime.  I understand some people seem “in shock” when they see a civilian carrying.  But y’all need to get over it.  You’re okay with them carrying, but you don’t want to see it?   C’mon.  I’m not advocating people walking around with AR’s  or anything.  That’s a bit overboard.  And let’s not pretend only right wing Trumpers are carrying them.  I do remember seeing pics of the black panthers in fatigues and ars outside polling booths in philly in ‘16.  

Meant to quote Mike.  The quote above is my reply not what Mike(said)

(01-13-2021, 09:08 PM)Jags Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 08:59 PM)mikesez Wrote: I’m sorry, I can’t agree with this either.  Out of sight, out of mind.  If I were to decide to commit a crime and see a guy a fifty yards away carrying, I may think twice.  If I don’t see it and commit the crime, he may or may not even see or be aware I committed a crime.  I understand some people seem “in shock” when they see a civilian carrying.  But y’all need to get over it.  You’re okay with them carrying, but you don’t want to see it?   C’mon.  I’m not advocating people walking around with AR’s  or anything.  That’s a bit overboard.  And let’s not pretend only right wing Trumpers are carrying them.  I do remember seeing pics of the black panthers in fatigues and ars outside polling booths in philly in ‘16.  

Meant to quote Mike.  The quote above is my reply not what Mike(said)

Those are good thoughts. 
My reaction when I see anyone carry is, "ok, why is he here, what is he protecting, how do I avoid him seeing me as a threat".  The uniform, whether it's the police uniform or the brinks truck uniform, explains everything.  I suppose I could "get over it" if there was some benefit to the policy but I only see disadvantages.  
I stay away from tense, argumentative situations regardless, but I've seen enough that my intuition says open carry makes those kinds of situations even more tense.

I think we should go back to wearing swords.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I don't find open carry intimidating. I just find it eyerolling that a person feels so insecure they have to strap a firearm to their side to make themselves look Billy Bad [BLEEP]. The only exception would be people returning from a hunt or folks in Alaska, or other places with apex predators, who must carry for survival. There might be other instances that are valid exceptions, but overall I see it as a character weakness. That's just me.

(01-14-2021, 12:35 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I don't find open carry intimidating. I just find it eyerolling that a person feels so insecure they have to strap a firearm to their side to make themselves look Billy Bad [BLEEP]. The only exception would be people returning from a hunt or folks in Alaska, or other places with apex predators, who must carry for survival. There might be other instances that are valid exceptions, but overall I see it as a character weakness. That's just me.

I agree.

Also - on the initial topic, I heard a report that the FBI is investigating plans for armed marches on ever capital city in the US. Not sure if that had been mentioned in the thread yet.

(01-14-2021, 01:44 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-14-2021, 12:35 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I don't find open carry intimidating. I just find it eyerolling that a person feels so insecure they have to strap a firearm to their side to make themselves look Billy Bad [BLEEP]. The only exception would be people returning from a hunt or folks in Alaska, or other places with apex predators, who must carry for survival. There might be other instances that are valid exceptions, but overall I see it as a character weakness. That's just me.

I agree.

Also - on the initial topic, I heard a report that the FBI is investigating plans for armed marches on ever capital city in the US. Not sure if that had been mentioned in the thread yet.

The FBI is investigating what everyone can tell is a false flag advertisement right down to the red and yellow theme of their poster.

Duval county, like most others, is awash in apex predators.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2021, 02:39 PM by mikesez.)

(01-14-2021, 02:09 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

Duval county, like most others, is awash in apex predators.

Um, pretty sure mr. Biscuit was referring to bears and cougars...
Oh
Oh I see.

(01-14-2021, 02:39 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(01-14-2021, 02:09 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Duval county, like most others, is awash in apex predators.

Um, pretty sure mr. Biscuit was referring to bears and cougars...
Oh
Oh I see.

I use a different kind of gun on the cougars, same as you do on the bears.

(01-14-2021, 02:52 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-14-2021, 02:39 PM)mikesez Wrote: Um, pretty sure mr. Biscuit was referring to bears and cougars...
Oh
Oh I see.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia1.popsugar-assets....f=1&nofb=1]

Meh.  The town where my grandfather's ranch used to be (Dixon, NM) pretty much everyone open carries.  Granted it's a very small and very rural town (people still get around on horseback frequently).

When I am out on my property I openly carry not only a pistol, but frequently have a shotgun with me, especially in the spring/summer months or one of my rifles (usually an AR-15) in my UTV.  I have been driving down some of the dirt roads in my UTV and stopped/spoke with several different deputies from Clay and Putnam counties while doing so and they never seemed fazed or even asked about my firearms.

Would I do the same in a city or urban environment?  No.  However while in Jacksonville I do conceal carry pretty much anywhere that I go with the exception of work since I work on a military base.

Why do I carry?  For my own protection.  My wife went through training and also got her concealed carry permit and carries anywhere she goes.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2021, 05:42 PM by mikesez.)

(01-14-2021, 05:19 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:

Meh.  The town where my grandfather's ranch used to be (Dixon, NM) pretty much everyone open carries.  Granted it's a very small and very rural town (people still get around on horseback frequently).

When I am out on my property I openly carry not only a pistol, but frequently have a shotgun with me, especially in the spring/summer months or one of my rifles (usually an AR-15) in my UTV.  I have been driving down some of the dirt roads in my UTV and stopped/spoke with several different deputies from Clay and Putnam counties while doing so and they never seemed fazed or even asked about my firearms.

Would I do the same in a city or urban environment?  No.  However while in Jacksonville I do conceal carry pretty much anywhere that I go with the exception of work since I work on a military base.

Why do I carry?  For my own protection.  My wife went through training and also got her concealed carry permit and carries anywhere she goes.

Open carry out in rural areas on trails is not intimidating.
But if you take a pit stop at any crowded place along the way, it can get intimidating quick.

(01-14-2021, 02:52 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-14-2021, 02:39 PM)mikesez Wrote: Um, pretty sure mr. Biscuit was referring to bears and cougars...
Oh
Oh I see.

Man I guess my disguise is better than I thought! Or your memory is getting fuzzy, eh honey buns?

It used to be somewhat popular to open carry in my area but now most people have a little folding rifle tucked up in their tractor, or a vault installed in their truck.

Mostly for coyotes.

(01-14-2021, 05:19 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:

Just wondering if you or the missus ever had to use or threaten to use a concealed sidearm?

(01-14-2021, 05:52 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: It used to be somewhat popular to open carry in my area but now most people have a little folding rifle tucked up in their tractor, or a vault installed in their truck.

Mostly for coyotes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but coyotes don't bother people, right?  There are occasional coyote sightings in central florida and the most anyone says about them is "keep your pets / farm animals inside at night"

(01-14-2021, 06:05 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(01-14-2021, 05:52 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: It used to be somewhat popular to open carry in my area but now most people have a little folding rifle tucked up in their tractor, or a vault installed in their truck.

Mostly for coyotes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but coyotes don't bother people, right?  There are occasional coyote sightings in central florida and the most anyone says about them is "keep your pets / farm animals inside at night"

No they're very weary or people, but they'll snatch small dogs up pretty quick. 

They're considered a pest animal here, they multiply considerably if not checked, and they cause a LOT of damage to irrigation lines. Like, you're spending 30k a year to repair it or shooting some coyotes.

(01-14-2021, 05:54 PM)captivating Wrote:
(01-14-2021, 05:19 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Meh.  The town where my grandfather's ranch used to be (Dixon, NM) pretty much everyone open carries.  Granted it's a very small and very rural town (people still get around on horseback frequently).

Just wondering if you or the missus ever had to use or threaten to use a concealed sidearm?

I do a few times a year. Even had police involved a time or two. (People ditch a lotmof stolen vehicles in my area)

We had a local farmer killed over it a few years ago. 

https://abc30.com/jose-canas-george-salw...er/4697235