Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ode to "let's talk about" ll

(01-19-2021, 01:54 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 01:52 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Makes sense. A buddy of mine recommended the same thing. I was hoping to avoid it because my "attic" is a pain to navigate. It has blow-in insulation between and over the joists so finding sure footing is a challenge. Then I'll have to clear the stuff out to nail in the support and deal with the itch and irritation the rest of the day. 

It's a ceiling joist so it won't have to deal with any additional load like a flooring joist, but to be on the safe side it's probably best to add support. *sigh*

Joist, not a rafter.

You mean one of them wooden things you nsil the ceiling to?

I think you’re trying to say you’re not the guy to ask. Laughing
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2021, 02:00 PM by homebiscuit.)

(01-19-2021, 01:54 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 01:52 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Makes sense. A buddy of mine recommended the same thing. I was hoping to avoid it because my "attic" is a pain to navigate. It has blow-in insulation between and over the joists so finding sure footing is a challenge. Then I'll have to clear the stuff out to nail in the support and deal with the itch and irritation the rest of the day. 

It's a ceiling joist so it won't have to deal with any additional load like a flooring joist, but to be on the safe side it's probably best to add support. *sigh*

Joist, not a rafter.

You mean one of them wooden things you nsil the ceiling to?

Yes, those. I've heard them referred to as 'boards'.

(01-19-2021, 01:56 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 01:54 PM)RicoTx Wrote: You mean one of them wooden things you nsil the ceiling to?

I think you’re trying to say you’re not the guy to ask. Laughing

Oh no, he ain't getting away with that. That guy reconfigures closets, fer Christ's sake.

(01-19-2021, 01:57 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 01:54 PM)RicoTx Wrote: You mean one of them wooden things you nsil the ceiling to?

(01-19-2021, 01:56 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: I think you’re trying to say you’re not the guy to ask. Laughing

Oh no, he ain't getting away with that. That guy reconfigures closets, fer Christ's sake.

[BLEEP], I spilled those beans?  Damn.

It's a loaded question.  Is it a 2x4 or a 2x6?  Notching a couple of inches out of a 2x4 isn't going to leaving much room for support.  I'm having trouble picturing the issue you're having.  I'm not familiar with the what the LED mount might look like.  You can't just move over to the edge of the joist or would that be too complex?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(01-19-2021, 02:07 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 01:57 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Yes, those. I've heard them referred to as 'boards'.

[BLEEP], I spilled those beans?  Damn.

It's a loaded question.  Is it a 2x4 or a 2x6?  Notching a couple of inches out of a 2x4 isn't going to leaving much room for support.  I'm having trouble picturing the issue you're having.  I'm not familiar with the what the LED mount might look like.  You can't just move over to the edge of the joist or would that be too complex?

It flush mounts with the ceiling so the wiring and rectifier are contained up in the mounting box, which is typically recessed a few inches deep into the ceiling. However, since this light fixture is mounted directly under a 2x6 joist, the mounting box is very shallow and not deep enough to contain the rectifier and wiring. Moving it is no good because it is situated directly in the middle of a hallway. It would look funny juked off to the side. 

Meh, I'm looking for a workaround. Maybe something that will lower the light slightly but still look clean. Notching the joist is a last resort. 

Wait, here's a website, procrastination.com.

(01-19-2021, 01:57 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:

(01-19-2021, 01:56 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: I think you’re trying to say you’re not the guy to ask. Laughing

Have you noticed how many times he’s ended up in the ER when he does these things? Ninja
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(01-19-2021, 02:35 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 01:57 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Yes, those. I've heard them referred to as 'boards'.

Have you noticed how many times he’s ended up in the ER when he does these things? Ninja

Yeah, good point.

Never mind, Rico!

(01-19-2021, 11:30 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Question for Rico, or anyone else suitably knowledgeable about carpentry. I'm replacing hallway globe lights with flush mounted LEDs. However, after removing the fixture for one I discovered it was mounted directly under a joist. There isn't enough room to fit the LED mount within the shallow cavity created by the ceiling sheetrock. 

Question: Is it safe to notch the joist a couple of inches? 

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia...f=1&nofb=1]

If it's a truss, NO!
If it's a joist, probably no, depends on span/load.

Does your wiring come into a box, or directly into the old fixture?
Probably best to move the light opening a few inches past the joist and patch the old hole.  New LED fixtures are available with clips the lock into place against the sheetrock, without any nailed/screwed support.  They also form the electrical box, so wiring goes directly into the fixture.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

I just found out today that a “Doxle” was a mixed breed dog of a dachshund and a beagle. I always just called them “Beagle Weiners”. Say it out loud.

HB, Gorilla brand sells flush mount kits for this such occasion.  It’ll look fabulous in the hallway!!!

[Image: 810YOkt9yRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg]

(01-19-2021, 06:42 PM)Jags Wrote: HB, Gorilla brand sells flush mount kits for this such occasion.  It’ll look fabulous in the hallway!!!

If it's good enough for NASCAR........

[Image: apr-9-2011-fort-worth-texas-us-sprint-cu...dk4nr5.jpg]

(01-19-2021, 06:52 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 06:42 PM)Jags Wrote: HB, Gorilla brand sells flush mount kits for this such occasion.  It’ll look fabulous in the hallway!!!

If it's good enough for NASCAR........

[Image: apr-9-2011-fort-worth-texas-us-sprint-cu...dk4nr5.jpg]

That stuff is truly amazing.  More uses than I can count.  My uncle was on his death bed.  Surgeries, medicines and even alternative medicines didn’t help at all.  But after some duct tape, he lived another 15 years!!

I love it when workers are so knowledgeable about their craft.

We were notified that our order came in and the girl back in the stockroom at Lowe's didn't know what French doors were.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Frenching  a door. Duh![Image: 498D3AB600000578-5430457-image-m-11_1519489520325.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2021, 09:13 PM by homebiscuit.)

We are here to retrieve our order for French doors. They. Are. From. France.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2F68.media.tumblr.com%2Ft...f=1&nofb=1]

I think I'll just hang an oil lamp.

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2021, 08:44 AM by Sneakers.)

(01-19-2021, 09:12 PM) pid=\1356324' Wrote:

Duct tape works great for that too!  No screw holes to worry about!

(01-19-2021, 09:12 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: We are here to retrieve our order for French doors. They. Are. From. France.

I even read that in Dan Aykroyd's Conehead voice haha

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(01-20-2021, 01:00 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 09:12 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: We are here to retrieve our order for French doors. They. Are. From. France.

I even read that in Dan Aykroyd's Conehead voice haha

I was afraid everyone was too young to remember the movie.

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2021, 02:41 PM by WingerDinger.)

(01-20-2021, 02:15 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-20-2021, 01:00 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: I even read that in Dan Aykroyd's Conehead voice haha

I was afraid everyone was too young to remember the movie.

I remember The Coneheads on SNL.. Back when SNL was worth a [BLEEP] haha

I may be a grandpa, but I still feel like I'm in my 20's lol

I too remember it from SNL. But then again, I may not be as young as I’d like to think I am.

After watching the “unbecoming your parents” Progressive commercials, I thought I’d read online about how not to act old. I’ll be darned if I wasn’t guilty of doing most of the stuff they said not to

I just had to do major damage control.. Yesterday, my wife went out and got a perm for her hair.. Normally it's a $150 perm, but the lady didn't like how the perm came out and she didn't charge for it..

The wife was in tears this morning after surveying the damage.. I must have said, "It'll go back how it used to be" like 20 times.. Now she gets to go to work and have all of her co-workers criticize it lolol..

RN's can be real divas..