Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Rivers Retires

Not a huge surprise.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/3074...olis-colts
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Not a surprise at all. I expected Rivers and Brees to retire. I also think there is a distinct chance Alex Smith and Ben Roethlisberger might as well. Tom Brady might play until he's 50 though.

(01-20-2021, 10:02 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Not a surprise at all. I expected Rivers and Brees to retire. I also think there is a distinct chance Alex Smith and Ben Roethlisberger might as well. Tom Brady might play until he's 50 though.
Could be by April, two traditional Jaguars killers-Rivers and Watson-could be out of the division!

I like it.

If Big Ben retires, I'll like that too, even though we've had success against him.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

First time he has ever pulled out of something.

Certainly not a bad thing for the Jags that the colts have to find a QB. Of course, they could always find a good one, so...

8 consecutive seasons passing over 4000 yds to end his career. Impressive.

And straight to the hall of fame.

(01-20-2021, 11:11 AM)Upper Wrote: And straight to the hall of fame.

How are there still people who think like this?

He's a career 55% won loss. He's a career 2-1 TD-int ratio.

He's essentially a longer career version of Tony Romo or Matthew Stafford. Do you consider those guys hall of fame worthy?

(01-20-2021, 10:02 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Not a surprise at all. I expected Rivers and Brees to retire. I also think there is a distinct chance Alex Smith and Ben Roethlisberger might as well. Tom Brady might play until he's 50 though.

Rivers has had an impressive career. It is a mark against him sadly never reaching a SB but that was as much the FO fault as his. Sad to see him go but i think its the right call.

Same with Roethlisberger. 2 SB rings, but hes just hurting his reputation now. Retiring from a sport youve dedicated everything for the last 25+ years is just brutal but no one beats the clock.

(01-20-2021, 12:29 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:

Rivers has had an impressive career. It is a mark against him sadly never reaching a SB but that was as much the FO fault as his. Sad to see him go but i think its the right call.

Same with Roethlisberger. 2 SB rings, but hes just hurting his reputation now. Retiring from a sport youve dedicated everything for the last 25+ years is just brutal but no one beats the clock.

[Image: d303806456a6852f02a53753b193f427.gif]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-20-2021, 12:46 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-20-2021, 12:29 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Rivers has had an impressive career. It is a mark against him sadly never reaching a SB but that was as much the FO fault as his. Sad to see him go but i think its the right call.

[Image: d303806456a6852f02a53753b193f427.gif]

Lol, hes defying it year on year but there will be a day even Brady retires

(01-20-2021, 12:11 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(01-20-2021, 11:11 AM)Upper Wrote: And straight to the hall of fame.

How are there still people who think like this?

He's essentially a longer career version of Tony Romo or Matthew Stafford. Do you consider those guys hall of fame worthy?

Rivers and Romo are absolutely hall of famers. Easily top 20 QBs all time.

(01-20-2021, 02:16 PM)Upper Wrote:
(01-20-2021, 12:11 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: How are there still people who think like this?

If either of these two make the hall of fame it’s a joke. Rivers yes a good qb for a very long time, but achieved nothing and did not stand out by himself to be worthy.

(01-20-2021, 02:41 PM)Dockerill91 Wrote:
(01-20-2021, 02:16 PM)Upper Wrote: Rivers and Romo are absolutely hall of famers. Easily top 20 QBs all time.

If either of these two make the hall of fame it’s a joke. Rivers yes a good qb for a very long time, but achieved nothing and did not stand out by himself to be worthy.

I mean I'd like for them to have won a super bowl too, but it's still a team sport and tons of hall of famers are never going to have won super bowls...or titles in any sport for that measure.

They're both top 10-12 in virtually every category you look at. Especially the most important rate stat ones.

(01-20-2021, 12:11 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: How are there still people who think like this?

Romo a HOF? Lol

Romo. Top 20? Wow.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2021, 06:59 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(01-20-2021, 02:16 PM)Upper Wrote: Rivers and Romo are absolutely hall of famers. Easily top 20 QBs all time.

Agreed. Rivers was a good QB for a long time, but never reached elite status. Romo has no business even thinking about the HOF. He may make the announcers HOF though. He's by far, my favorite analyst calling NFL games. He seems to know every play and how well it will do before the ball is even snapped. I swear, he needs to go into coaching. I think he'd be very good at it.

On another note, the Colts also lost their longtime starting LT to retirement. Anthony Castonzo called it a career, last week. That is two huge blows to that offense. They'll probably have to find a QB in free agency as they will be picking too far down for one of the top guys. I look for them to take a LT with their first round pick.

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2021, 08:00 PM by Tank Commander.)

Disgaree.

Romo doesn't deserve to be in the HOF but will get in based off likeability. But shouldn't be in.

Rivers deserves to be in. People forget to mention that his post season performance is based off being in the same conference as the New England Patriots who made 9 super bowl during Rivers 17 year career. I believe that if Rivers and the Chargers were in the NFC that they probably would have made at least 2-3 Super Bowls in 16 years. (although probably still losing to Belicheat and the Pats in the big game)

LOLLLLLLL OK.

The bars been set pretty low when they allowed Curtis Martin and his pathetic 4.0 average into the HOF. Like Romo, popular guy from a big market but doesn't deserve to be in the Hall.

Should Frank Gore and his 16000 yards get into the Hall?

(01-20-2021, 08:32 PM)Tank Commander Wrote: The bars been set pretty low when they allowed Curtis Martin and his pathetic 4.0 average into the HOF.  Like Romo, popular guy from a big market but doesn't deserve to be in the Hall.

Should Frank Gore and his 16000 yards get into the Hall?

Depends. Is longevity an HOF worthy attribute?