Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Stock Market Under Trump

(01-04-2021, 05:52 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(01-04-2021, 04:29 PM)mikesez Wrote: Just remember to buy at the bottom.  I know I will.

I almost bought Quantumscape (QS) right before the close today.  Stock dropped 40% today.

Sounds like a stable company to fund a retirement.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Bitcoin dropped back overnight. It pushed past $30k last week for the first time ever before hitting a high of $34,5k over the weekend. Now trading at about $31k, I banked my gains Saturday night when I went up 50% on my December purchase. I have a small amount of money invested there since it's very volatile, but this bit of day trading seems to have paid off to the tune of a couple grand that paid for a good portion of the Christmas spending.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Meh... I would hardly call the drop today a "selloff" or a "correction".  Some people took profits while others are buying the dip.  I just held steady.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(01-04-2021, 08:05 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Meh... I would hardly call the drop today a "selloff" or a "correction".  Some people took profits while others are buying the dip.  I just held steady.

I'm still in at my original investment, I just banked some gains because it felt right at the time. Now I need a few days to recover from the drop.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-04-2021, 04:11 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: The Biden, GA runoff selloff has began. Hang on to your seats. It's going to get ugly. If Dems take control of the Senate, the selloff will be like nothing anyone has ever seen before.

So the selloff lastest, what, a day?

(01-05-2021, 03:39 PM)captivating Wrote:
(01-04-2021, 04:11 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: The Biden, GA runoff selloff has began. Hang on to your seats. It's going to get ugly. If Dems take control of the Senate, the selloff will be like nothing anyone has ever seen before.

So the selloff lastest, what, a day?

Shows confidence in a GOP GA victory.

Guys, as a wise man once said, it's not timing the market, it's time in the market that will give you success.

No one knows if the market is going to be up or down tomorrow, next week, or next month. But one thing is for certain: the long term trend is, was, and always will be, UP. Take only money you won't need for the next year or two, and leave it there. Another wise man once said, "My holding period for stocks is forever."

I know that's a boring approach. You can't use that approach and post messages about how you bought or sold this or that stock, or how you beat the market this year. But it is the one approach that is assured of success.

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2021, 06:28 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(01-04-2021, 05:54 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(01-04-2021, 05:52 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I almost bought Quantumscape (QS) right before the close today.  Stock dropped 40% today.

Sounds like a stable company to fund a retirement.

Up 19% today.  I pulled the trigger this morning but only with a small amount since it will likely go down tomorrow -- i'm predicting a 5% drop on Wednesday.

As I've been monitoring stocks in detail since Sept, there's definitely some trends --- 
1st - earnings are nice but the people that impact the market don't value it as they used to
2nd - when the target price is dropped, people jump ship (crash) then everyone jumps back in to buy the dip the next day
3rd - on day 3, a portion of the people that made their day 2 money take their profits leaving a small dip

Thus, in the case of QS, they dropped 40%, then went up by 19% and should go down by ~ 5%  ..... we shall see

(01-05-2021, 04:50 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Guys, as a wise man once said, it's not timing the market, it's time in the market that will give you success.  

No one knows if the market is going to be up or down tomorrow, next week, or next month.  But one thing is for certain: the long term trend is, was, and always will be, UP.   Take only money you won't need for the next year or two, and leave it there.   Another wise man once said, "My holding period for stocks is forever."  

I know that's a boring approach.  You can't use that approach and post messages about how you bought or sold this or that stock, or how you beat the market this year.  But it is the one approach that is assured of success.

That is the contrarian approach (maybe traditional is a better word).  Apparently that dude doesn't like NASDAQ or know what FANG stocks are.  We are in a totally different world right now where everyone is throwing $$ into the market --- yes, all those rich Millennials are loading up the market to boom status.

I'm riding the technology wave and within ~ 3 months I anticipate the recovery stocks (e.g. oil, airlines, cruise ships, banks) should be reaping big time returns.  one thing i learned is that even if i think i missed the major opportunity (e.g. roku, square, tesla), getting in during the summer was still a great move -- that said, Alibaba and NIO drive me crazy each day.

(01-05-2021, 06:14 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(01-04-2021, 05:54 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Sounds like a stable company to fund a retirement.

Up 19% today.  I pulled the trigger this morning but only with a small amount since it will likely go down tomorrow -- i'm predicting a 5% drop on Wednesday.

As I've been monitoring stocks in detail since Sept, there's definitely some trends --- 
1st - earnings are nice but the people that impact the market don't value it as they used to
2nd - when the target price is dropped, people jump ship (crash) then everyone jumps back in to buy the dip the next day
3rd - on day 3, a portion of the people that made their day 2 money take their profits leaving a small dip

Thus, in the case of QS, they dropped 40%, then went up by 19% and should go down by ~ 5%  ..... we shall see

Once Bill Gates gets more vaccines in arms, that stock will shoot through the roof.

I'm not as aggressive as I used to be, but then again, I'm staring an early retirement in the face.  I do think that one thing that I have "timed" right is my recent real estate moves.  We are having our new home (retirement estate) built right now on a good piece of land in a rural area.  I am hoping that we can get it completed moved in and sell our current home before the bubble pops again (it's looking that way to me).

I have been long on tech and defense sectors, and at this point I am looking at possibly tapering off and getting into more dividend paying stocks and sectors that will survive an economic downturn (relatively short term).  As it relates to politics, the outcome of the Georgia elections today will be telling.  I predict another "vote counting mess" which will for a very short period of time destabilize the market, especially if it looks like a democrat win.  If it looks more like a republican win then the market might move a bit sideways for a bit, then resume an upward trend.

A balance or power is always better than one side having all the power, it doesn't matter which side.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

The market approves of a Dem controlled Senate, even with The Capitol being stormed.

(01-06-2021, 07:42 PM)captivating Wrote: The market approves of a Dem controlled Senate, even with The Capitol being stormed.

Hey, I won't complain about the market going up. Think a lot of it had to do with the additional $2,000 stimulus that is all but guaranteed to pass now.

The Buffett indicator is at 120.

DJIA

January 19, 2017 - 19,827
January 19, 2021 - 30,930

11,103 Gain. Not to shabby considering nearly a quarter of his term was hindered by a pandemic.

Your turn Joe.

(01-19-2021, 06:13 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: DJIA

11,103 Gain. Not to shabby considering nearly a quarter of his term was hindered by a pandemic.

Your turn Joe.

What you fail to realize is that the stock market doesn't really care about who is President.  The market will keep right on going until the first bubble bursts.  Then when it drops, it will continue right back up.

Your turn Joe.

The market looks ahead.  As such, the impact really starts on the Wednesday after election.  That's why solar power, EV, and weed stocks and other Biden-agenda stocks took off like crazy since November.

(01-20-2021, 11:23 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

Your turn Joe.

The market looks ahead.  As such, the impact really starts on the Wednesday after election.  That's why solar power, EV, and weed stocks and other Biden-agenda stocks took off like crazy since November.

Just think of where Apple would be if Cook had taken Musk up in selling Tesla for pennies on the dollar, but wouldn't even take his call.

That will be talked about in business courses in 50 years.

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2021, 02:21 PM by The Real Marty.)

Wish I had bought a few bitcoins when they were a dollar each.

(01-20-2021, 02:21 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Wish I had bought a few bitcoins when they were a dollar each.

I was going to buy a mining computer in 2011-ish, but didn't after my then girlfriend relentlessly roasted me about it. It still hurts.

(01-20-2021, 11:14 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(01-20-2021, 02:21 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Wish I had bought a few bitcoins when they were a dollar each.

I was going to buy a mining computer in 2011-ish, but didn't after my then girlfriend relentlessly roasted me about it. It still hurts.

Iran has had blackouts recently and blamed it on bitcoin mining farms using all the electricity.