Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What’s next for Watson?

(02-01-2021, 10:35 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 09:17 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I hope the Texans management doesn't give in and trade him.

What do they do if he threatens to retire? Some people would do that. If I didn't want to be there and believed the team was falling down around me, I'd walk away. He's already made millions. Maybe he's one of those people where money is secondary to happiness. I walked out of a good job, because they screwed me over. They thought I was joking and I didn't blink. It took a while, but I found an even better job. If he announces that he's retiring, the Texans will either do one of two things. They will either do nothing and come away completely screwed with absolutely no compensation or they get in touch with his agent and convince him to play as long as they trade him for a boatload of compensation, so they can rebuild. 

The second option is the smart move, but we are talking about the Texans, so they'll probably screw this up as well. In any case, Watson has wiped all signs of the Texans off his social media and he reportedly isn't answering any calls from the team. He seems like his mind is made up. Personally, I don't blame him. They had a pretty good team until O'Brien blew it all up and management just kept on making blunders. Without Watson, they are completely talentless other than Laremy Tunsil and J.J. Watt (who is probably gonna get cut or traded.)

Honestly, he's not all that.

Middle first first round pick.  Slower than defensive backs.
Had a major injury.
Putting up stats in garbage time a la Scott Mitchell on mediocre teams.

He's no Michael Jordan, Lebron James or even James Harden.
He's acting Divaish.

I don't know why anyone would want the Texans to get undeservedly a boatload of picks and talent.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-01-2021, 10:40 AM)Tank Commander Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 10:35 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: What do they do if he threatens to retire? Some people would do that. If I didn't want to be there and believed the team was falling down around me, I'd walk away. He's already made millions. Maybe he's one of those people where money is secondary to happiness. I walked out of a good job, because they screwed me over. They thought I was joking and I didn't blink. It took a while, but I found an even better job. If he announces that he's retiring, the Texans will either do one of two things. They will either do nothing and come away completely screwed with absolutely no compensation or they get in touch with his agent and convince him to play as long as they trade him for a boatload of compensation, so they can rebuild. 

The second option is the smart move, but we are talking about the Texans, so they'll probably screw this up as well. In any case, Watson has wiped all signs of the Texans off his social media and he reportedly isn't answering any calls from the team. He seems like his mind is made up. Personally, I don't blame him. They had a pretty good team until O'Brien blew it all up and management just kept on making blunders. Without Watson, they are completely talentless other than Laremy Tunsil and J.J. Watt (who is probably gonna get cut or traded.)

Honestly, he's not all that.

Had a major injury.

He's acting Divaish.

I don't know why anyone would want the Texans to get undeservedly a boatload of picks and talent.

I agree with your assessment of Watson. He is overrated, but judging on what the Lions got for a "better than average QB" in Stafford, Watson will definitely command more. That's just the NFL we live in right now. Thank God we have the #1 overall pick, so we can get our franchise QB without paying these ridiculous prices and crippling our future.

(01-31-2021, 10:47 AM)Tank Commander Wrote:
(01-29-2021, 08:09 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Not sure if this has been said already but I cant help but feel this is a Player vs Team issue that may change the NFL. You see in the NBA and MLB that players have a lot of power and has swayed more their way in recent years. The NFL is still a bit more old school in the teams favour but situations like LeVeon Bell and Ramsey, you see players being able to force their way out.

Watson is probably the most high profile so far and with the no trade clause it looks settled already but if the only option players think available are being disruptive and just a pain then thats what they will do.

I cant fault Watson for wanting out. Find the best deal you can and let him go.

I think teams are going to be weary of a guy who doesn't honor his huge contract and is being disruptive and a problem child.
Especially at a leadership position like QB.
Any team that trades the farm for him will be a fool.

Winning cures all that weariness. Loyalty in the shield is virtually nonexistent, and that goes for both sides of the player/team equation. The biggest factor in his deal is that after 2 years, the guarantees are gone, so the team is not forced into some appearance of commitment or loyalty to him. Also, the team that acquires him is not on the hook for that huge contract, the only guarantees are for two years and $45M. That is a STEAL for a top-10 QB in today's market, and if they're not happy with him, the team can shop him around under that contract or cut him without any other loss.

I think there is so much risk in trading a boatload of picks for a questionable QB talent.
The only time you should do it is when the consensus among everyone is that the QB is a generational talent.

You look at the Bears who traded a boatload to moved up to get Trubitsky. Who nobody else had high on their draft board. (not to mention passing up on Mahomes). Crippled the organization.

You look at the Redskins and Dan Snyder who traded a boatload of picks to move one spot to take RG3. Complete disaster which was only salvaged somewhat by Shananhan having the forsight to draft Kirk Cousins in the same draft.

Look what the 49ers gave up for a career back up in Garoppolo.

Look at what the Rams gave up to move up to take Goff. Who nobody else though was a generational talent.

(02-01-2021, 10:35 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 09:17 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I hope the Texans management doesn't give in and trade him.

What do they do if he threatens to retire? Some people would do that. If I didn't want to be there and believed the team was falling down around me, I'd walk away. He's already made millions. Maybe he's one of those people where money is secondary to happiness. I walked out of a good job, because they screwed me over. They thought I was joking and I didn't blink. It took a while, but I found an even better job. If he announces that he's retiring, the Texans will either do one of two things. They will either do nothing and come away completely screwed with absolutely no compensation or they get in touch with his agent and convince him to play as long as they trade him for a boatload of compensation, so they can rebuild. 

Yeah, we've seen this song and dance play out on the homefront. The tinhorns have to do something if only to save face with respect to future free agents and contract renewals. If you dig your heels in and someone of Watson's caliber is retired or holding out indefinitely, former players taking digs on social media, etc. you're never going to draw anyone to your franchise. Heck, look at how swimmingly the coaching search went.

(02-01-2021, 10:45 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 10:40 AM)Tank Commander Wrote: Honestly, he's not all that.

Had a major injury.

He's acting Divaish.

I agree with your assessment of Watson. He is overrated, but judging on what the Lions got for a "better than average QB" in Stafford, Watson will definitely command more. That's just the NFL we live in right now. Thank God we have the #1 overall pick, so we can get our franchise QB without paying these ridiculous prices and crippling our future.

This is what I don't get. Why pay a boatload of picks when you can just tank.
In the NFL, there's no lottery, so tanking 100% gives you a shot at the top pick.

In the Bears and Redskins cases all they had to do was lose 1 more game and they would have had the first or 2nd pick.
If they had done that they wouldn't have had to mortgage their future with a boatload of picks for a questionable talent like RG3 or Trubitsky.

The Colts tanking for Luck was super smart.
the generational can't miss QB only happens once every 7-15 years.

(02-01-2021, 10:47 AM)Tank Commander Wrote: I think there is so much risk in trading a boatload of picks for a questionable QB talent.
The only time you should do it is when the consensus among everyone is that the QB is a generational talent.

You look at the Bears who traded a boatload to moved up to get Trubitsky. Who nobody else had high on their draft board. (not to mention passing up on Mahomes). Crippled the organization.

You look at the Redskins and Dan Snyder who traded a boatload of picks to move one spot to take RG3. Complete disaster which was only salvaged somewhat by Shananhan having the forsight to draft Kirk Cousins in the same draft.

Look at what the Rams gave up to move up to take Goff.  Who nobody else though was a generational talent.

I agree, but the Rams just traded a boatload for a slightly better version of what they had. It's happening more and more often and I don't see the sense in it. It kills me that GM's make millions of dollars and pull off such dumb moves like you listed. Most casual football fans knew those were bad deals when they were made.

(02-01-2021, 10:53 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 10:47 AM)Tank Commander Wrote: I think there is so much risk in trading a boatload of picks for a questionable QB talent.

Look at what the Rams gave up to move up to take Goff.  Who nobody else though was a generational talent.

I agree, but the Rams just traded a boatload for a slightly better version of what they had. It's happening more and more often and I don't see the sense in it. It kills me that GM's make millions of dollars and pull off such dumb moves like you listed. Most casual football fans knew those were bad deals when they were made.

to be a little fair to the Rams,
some of the boatload was to offload Goff's idiotic contract.

So Really it may be Stafford for one #1 and a #3.
Or at least that's how other GM's will spin it

So I think the bar being set for Watson, or maybe Rodgers or any other is one #1 and maybe a #3.

(01-31-2021, 10:47 AM)Tank Commander Wrote:
(01-29-2021, 08:09 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Not sure if this has been said already but I cant help but feel this is a Player vs Team issue that may change the NFL. You see in the NBA and MLB that players have a lot of power and has swayed more their way in recent years. The NFL is still a bit more old school in the teams favour but situations like LeVeon Bell and Ramsey, you see players being able to force their way out.

Watson is probably the most high profile so far and with the no trade clause it looks settled already but if the only option players think available are being disruptive and just a pain then thats what they will do.

I cant fault Watson for wanting out. Find the best deal you can and let him go.

I think teams are going to be weary of a guy who doesn't honor his huge contract and is being disruptive and a problem child.

I certainly see your point but in today's NFL where GM's and HC's may only get 2-3 seasons to win, why worry about future picks and cap you may not be around to use. I could easily see one of those teams that are close, like the Bears, go all in and try and get Watson while they still have a SB window. 

You are definitely right about risking all that on a players attitude and how they are acting but like I said before, players like Ramsey and Yan and Bell have been a problem, but they got what they wanted. If players think all it takes is them being a nuisance and the team will let them go then that's what theyll do sadly.

(02-01-2021, 08:18 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 10:47 AM)Tank Commander Wrote: I think teams are going to be weary of a guy who doesn't honor his huge contract and is being disruptive and a problem child.

I certainly see your point but in today's NFL where GM's and HC's may only get 2-3 seasons to win, why worry about future picks and cap you may not be around to use. I could easily see one of those teams that are close, like the Bears, go all in and try and get Watson while they still have a SB window. 

You are definitely right about risking all that on a players attitude and how they are acting but like I said before, players like Ramsey and Yan and Bell have been a problem, but they got what they wanted. If players think all it takes is them being a nuisance and the team will let them go then that's what theyll do sadly.

I think a diva is more problematic at the QB position because it's such a leadership and example setting position.

CB, RB etc once you move all that is really asked is to do your job. With the QB, it's different because both the offense and the defense look up to the QB.  I think the RG3-Redskins debacle was a prime example where the owner, Dan Snyder was coddeling and hanging out with RG3, and RG3 was acting divaish and that rubbed other offensive and defensive players the wrong way.

(02-01-2021, 08:18 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 10:47 AM)Tank Commander Wrote: I think teams are going to be weary of a guy who doesn't honor his huge contract and is being disruptive and a problem child.

One way to counteract that would be for prospective teams to sign them on with performance-heavy contracts. If they want to run their diva mouths to get out of one contract, then they better be able to back it up with some diva play to earn another.

(02-02-2021, 11:34 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 08:18 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: I certainly see your point but in today's NFL where GM's and HC's may only get 2-3 seasons to win, why worry about future picks and cap you may not be around to use. I could easily see one of those teams that are close, like the Bears, go all in and try and get Watson while they still have a SB window. 

One way to counteract that would be for prospective teams to sign them on with performance-heavy contracts. If they want to run their diva mouths to get out of one contract, then they better be able to back it up with some diva play to earn another.

I wish that's the way all contracts were in the NFL, but the Player's Union would never allow that. It's a shame.

(01-20-2021, 12:59 AM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: That bum signed a contract this year. Now he wants out? No wonder he hangs with Jalen

I wonder if he'll contract that mysterious back injury.

Newest rumor is the Raiders are trading Carr in order to make a huge offer for Watson.

(02-02-2021, 09:34 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Newest rumor is the Raiders are trading Carr in order to make a huge offer for Watson.

Interesting........

(02-02-2021, 09:34 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Newest rumor is the Raiders are trading Carr in order to make a huge offer for Watson.

How the mighty have fallen. Just a few years ago Mayock was one of the most respected voices when it came to draft prospects, and now he's just a lowly used Carr salesman.

(02-03-2021, 08:56 AM)Mikey Wrote:

How the mighty have fallen. Just a few years ago Mayock was one of the most respected voices when it came to draft prospects, and now he's just a lowly used Carr salesman.

If Gruden trades 4 #1s and Carr for Watson, then he has truly lost it.

Carr to Texans? I think I heard a story about that a few years ago.

Otherwise Mayock needs a three way trade.

I think this is mostly likely at this point. The lions set the bar ridiculously high. If they pulled two 1s for Stafford then Watson will obviously pull that and some. The only things working against the Texans are the contract and time. If they are going move him it will have to be soon.

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2021, 06:42 PM by TrivialPursuit.)

(02-03-2021, 06:36 PM)JagsorDie Wrote:

I think this is mostly likely at this point. The lions set the bar ridiculously high. If they pulled two 1s for Stafford then Watson will obviously pull that and some. The only things working against the Texans are the contract and time. If they are going move him it will have to be soon.

Uh... we pulled two first rounders for a CB.

and the order of importance is and always has been:

QB, LT, DT, DE, CB

DE and DT are interchangeable depending on scheme.