Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Joe Biden's America

(02-03-2021, 08:38 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 08:34 PM)mikesez Wrote: You misunderstand.
1) it was Trump's office of civil rights that issued that guidance
2) it was the correct guidance based on the 2020 Bostock v Clayton county ruling.  That ruling was very broadly worded and obviously applies to any federal law implicating gender.  Gender and gender identity are more or less interchangeable concepts in federal law now.  It wasn't a good decision, but that's an argument for another day.
3) Title IX simply needs to be amended/updated to protect girls/womens sports, so, for sports in particular gender and gender identity will be separate categories.  That's up to Congress. That's Paul's department, and he knows it.  But, he'd rather pander and get clips on youtube shared on sports forums than do his actual job.

Again, does anyone want to defend Miguel Cardona's refusal to answer whether boys should be allowed to compete in girls track meets?

Paul was asking Cardona to state an opinion on a matter where he would not have discretion.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2021, 09:07 PM by homebiscuit.)

(02-03-2021, 08:42 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I don't know if I'd call that a refusal. I think he was pretty clear that he'd approve of boys competing against girls.

It's a question which demands a binary answer.

(02-03-2021, 08:59 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 08:38 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Again, does anyone want to defend Miguel Cardona's refusal to answer whether boys should be allowed to compete in girls track meets?

Paul was asking Cardona to state an opinion on a matter where he would not have discretion.

Do you believe boys should be allowed to compete in girls track meets, Mike?

(02-03-2021, 09:04 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 08:42 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I don't know if I'd call that a refusal. I think he was pretty clear that he'd approve of boys competing against girls.

(02-03-2021, 08:59 PM)mikesez Wrote: Paul was asking Cardona to state an opinion on a matter where he would not have discretion.

No.  But Congress has to change the law.  Executive branch officials can't ignore legal interpretations from Scotus.

(02-03-2021, 09:10 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 09:04 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: It's a question which demands a binary answer.

No.  But Congress has to change the law.  Executive branch officials can't ignore legal interpretations from Scotus.

But Joe Biden did by signing an EO saying boys could compete in girls sports.

(02-03-2021, 08:34 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 08:13 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: We are officially in bizarro world. 

Are there any lefties on here willing to defend Miguel Cardona's refusal to answer whether boys should be allowed to compete in girls track meets?

Anyone? 

Anyone?

https://youtu.be/GcE2lKwaZqY

You misunderstand.
2) it was the correct guidance based on the 2020 Bostock v Clayton county ruling.  That ruling was very broadly worded and obviously applies to any federal law implicating gender.  Gender and gender identity are more or less interchangeable concepts in federal law now.  It wasn't a good decision, but that's an argument for another day.
3) Title IX simply needs to be amended/updated to protect girls/womens sports, so, for sports in particular gender and gender identity will be separate categories.  That's up to Congress. That's Paul's department, and he knows it.  But, he'd rather pander and get clips on youtube shared on sports forums than do his actual job.

That's an argument that needs to happen NOW, not ignored, thus allowing the problem to spread even further.

Questioning a nominee at a hearing is his job.  When have you ever complained about a liberal getting a clip on youtube?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(02-03-2021, 09:04 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:

Gender is binary, bruh. #WOKE

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2021, 09:29 PM by mikesez.)

(02-03-2021, 09:19 PM)Sneakers Wrote:

That's an argument that needs to happen NOW, not ignored, thus allowing the problem to spread even further.

Questioning a nominee at a hearing is his job.  When have you ever complained about a liberal getting a clip on youtube?

Changing the law is Paul's job.
The Bostock decision was on a law, not on the Constitution.
Amend the law, Bostock decision goes away.
Senators change laws.
Not cabinet officials

(02-03-2021, 09:28 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 09:19 PM)Sneakers Wrote: That's an argument that needs to happen NOW, not ignored, thus allowing the problem to spread even further.

Changing the law is Paul's job.
Not trying to badger a new cabinet official into ignoring the law.

Your inability to form an opinion or have any natural instincts in general is concerning.

(02-03-2021, 09:19 PM)Sneakers Wrote:

I understand what Mike is saying and he's mostly correct. The people who made the laws lack the intestinal fortitude to say outright that transgenders can identify as the opposite sex but physically are intrinsically cis-gendered. Rupaul will always beat Heidi Klum in an arm wrestling match. 

The Secretary of Education has the responsibility to provide guidance on Title IX. If Cardona states that transgendered women cannot compete in women sports, then so be it and let the courts fight it out. In the meanwhile, cis-gendered women aren't being unfairly outcompeted by transgendered women. It's just that simple.

(02-03-2021, 09:29 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 09:28 PM)mikesez Wrote: Changing the law is Paul's job.
Not trying to badger a new cabinet official into ignoring the law.

Your inability to form an opinion or have any natural instincts in general is concerning.

Lol.
I have an opinion on this.  It's the same as yours.  People who were born without testes shouldn't compete in sports against people who were born with them.

It's just that the current law on this subject was last amended in 2006, and the Supreme Court in 2020 says that the type of language used in that law applies equally to gender identity and gender.

What Paul tried to do to Cardona here would be like Dave Caldwell grilling Doug Marrone over if he thought CJ Henderson should be the Jags' first pick.  "You pick em and I coach em ya know" well, "you write the law and I enforce it."

Hopefully the unemployed who supported the $15 minimum wage will remember this.

Ralphs, Food 4 Less to close 25% of Long Beach stores over extra $4 per hour 'Hero Pay' ordinance (foxla.com)

The city council unanimously approved the wage increase on Jan. 19 to compensate grocery store workers for the dangers they face in serving the public during the coronavirus pandemic. The ordinance was tentatively approved, and a final vote is scheduled for Feb. 2.

The ordinance would be in place for at least 120 days, after which the ordinance would come back to the city council for a possible extension.

The company spokesperson noted that the Long Beach City Council’s mandate does nothing to raise wages for the frontline workers the city employs.

Damn you, free enterprise!!!

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftruthout.org%2Fwp-conte...f=1&nofb=1]

(02-03-2021, 09:23 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 09:04 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: It's a question which demands a binary answer.
Gender is binary, bruh. #WOKE

Gender is black and white. You are either a boy or girl, depending on what genitalia you are born with. Period. In some rare cases, some people are born with both kinds of genitals. In that case, it's up to the doctor and family to decide. There is no other options on the table. These are set in stone by nature. You can't change nature or science, no matter what kind of fantasy world some people are living in.

Are there any lefties on here willing to defend Miguel Cardona's refusal to answer whether boys should be allowed to compete in girls track meets?

Anyone? 

Anyone?

Yeah.  
Never understood the need to allow trans-people into organized sport. 
Just doesn't make any sense.  

I'm all for people making whatever changes they feel they need to within medically-safe-reasonability,  but that doesn't mean you get to unfairly dominate a sporting event. 

What does this have to do with Joe Biden?

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2021, 10:06 AM by The Real Marty.)

(02-04-2021, 09:59 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 09:23 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Gender is binary, bruh. #WOKE

Gender is black and white. You are either a boy or girl, depending on what genitalia you are born with. Period. In some rare cases, some people are born with both kinds of genitals. In that case, it's up to the doctor and family to decide. There is no other options on the table. These are set in stone by nature. You can't change nature or science, no matter what kind of fantasy world some people are living in.

Frankly, I don't care.  If women insist on having "separate but equal" sports, where they exclude half the population, they need to deal with the consequences.  This is Megan Rapinoe's problem, not mine.  If she wants to be a warrior for social justice, while discriminating based on gender, then she's going to wind up with issues like this.

(02-04-2021, 08:59 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Hopefully the unemployed who supported the $15 minimum wage will remember this.

Ralphs, Food 4 Less to close 25% of Long Beach stores over extra $4 per hour 'Hero Pay' ordinance (foxla.com)

The city council unanimously approved the wage increase on Jan. 19 to compensate grocery store workers for the dangers they face in serving the public during the coronavirus pandemic. The ordinance was tentatively approved, and a final vote is scheduled for Feb. 2.

The ordinance would be in place for at least 120 days, after which the ordinance would come back to the city council for a possible extension.

The company spokesperson noted that the Long Beach City Council’s mandate does nothing to raise wages for the frontline workers the city employs.

The funny thing is, the $15 isn't immediate. It ramps up over a period of time, which ironically gives employers time to automate their business and reduce their workforce. 

I hope these people who cheer open borders are ready for the battle with the illegals for the remaining jobs when the dust settles.

(02-04-2021, 08:59 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Hopefully the unemployed who supported the $15 minimum wage will remember this.

There will be business very adversely affected by a dramatic hike in minimum wage.

It's a major issue.

The real culprit is allowing the wage to stagnate for many years while inflation marched onward making the wage even less than it appears, but a way forward must be found. 

The only way forward IMO, is to implement incremental adjustments. 
Individual companies will need to be allowed to apply for an implementation schedule that will not break them. 

Not, BOOM, every entry level employee earns $15 an hour! 

( I realize the hero pay ordinance is a separate thing - but it correlates to the national issue at hand)

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2021, 10:16 AM by homebiscuit.)

(02-04-2021, 10:04 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Anyone? 

Anyone?

Yeah.  
Never understood the need to allow trans-people into organized sport. 
Just doesn't make any sense.  

I'm all for people making whatever changes they feel they need to within medically-safe-reasonability,  but that doesn't mean you get to unfairly dominate a sporting event. 

What does this have to do with Joe Biden?

He signed an EO which opens up challenges to whether transgendered women can compete in women's sports. It shouldn't even be a question.

(02-04-2021, 10:04 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-04-2021, 09:59 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Gender is black and white. You are either a boy or girl, depending on what genitalia you are born with. Period. In some rare cases, some people are born with both kinds of genitals. In that case, it's up to the doctor and family to decide. There is no other options on the table. These are set in stone by nature. You can't change nature or science, no matter what kind of fantasy world some people are living in.

Frankly, I don't care.  If women insist on having "separate but equal" sports, where they exclude half the population, they need to deal with the consequences.  This is Megan Rapinoe's problem, not mine.  If she wants to be a warrior for social justice, while discriminating based on gender, then she's going to wind up with issues like this.

You have to explain this. Are you saying women are being discriminatory by excluding men from their sports competitions?

(02-04-2021, 10:10 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

There will be business very adversely affected by a dramatic hike in minimum wage.

It's a major issue.

The real culprit is allowing the wage to stagnate for many years while inflation marched onward making the wage even less than it appears, but a way forward must be found. 

Individual companies will need to be allowed to apply for an implementation schedule that will not break them. 

( I realize the hero pay ordinance is a separate thing - but it correlates to the national issue at hand)

I disagree. The real culprit is the left defining the minimum wage as a living wage. It was never intended for that.

(02-04-2021, 10:11 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-04-2021, 10:10 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: There will be business very adversely affected by a dramatic hike in minimum wage.

It's a major issue.

I disagree. The real culprit is the left defining the minimum wage as a living wage. It was never intended for that.

Yeah. The "living wage" thing is actually a bit of a stretch for me too. 

This may be where we diverge:
Regardless if you believe it should be a living wage or not, it should increase at the similar rate as inflation IMO. 

I can understand a menial job carrying a menial salary in certain cases, but the salary should maintain its threshold vs inflation.

(02-04-2021, 10:27 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-04-2021, 10:11 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:

Yeah. The "living wage" thing is actually a bit of a stretch for me too. 

This may be where we diverge:
Regardless if you believe it should be a living wage or not, it should increase at the similar rate as inflation IMO

I can understand a menial job carrying a menial salary in certain cases, but the salary should maintain its threshold vs inflation.

I disagree.  ANY wage should be negotiated between the employer and the prospective employee.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I never understood why Democrats want to raise minimum wage so much. All it does is cause a chain reaction. Minimum wage goes up, smaller businesses can't afford to pay so many employees, so they lay them off. Bigger businesses don't want to cut into their profit margins, so they raise their prices. Therefore, when people go to the grocery store, everything is higher and they get way less for their money and we're back to square one. It's a viscous circle that never ends and it solves nothing.