Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Stock Market under President Biden

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2021, 04:04 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(02-08-2021, 01:48 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 11:03 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: SQ, ROKU, TSLA, TDOC, DIS, NVDA, TSM, TWTR all hitting it out of the park today.

BA looking good as well.

i almost want to sell of and call it a year.

I can tell you from personal experience and observation that you will never make big money by buying and selling stocks.  You make really big money by buying and holding stocks.  

I know it's not sustainable but, including today (see stocks above) I'm up 15% YTD --- I know it's not sustainable and I'll chill down the road, but in the meantime certain stocks has surged since April so I'm just saying that it's a big MISS for those that didn't take advantage of this unique situation we have.  That's all.

Ultimately, I'll move things to a more conservative account or simply divest all together if there is a crash but until then I'll simply ride the wave with my momentum stocks mixed with some value stocks that are still down by ~ 50% since March.  I do admit, the more things go up the more nervous I get though.  This is totally crazy !!!  it's almost like a gameshow where you can keep advancing or cash in, only in this case, i can keep advancing with the option to take a step back and still cash in.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2021, 04:03 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

(02-08-2021, 04:01 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 01:48 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I can tell you from personal experience and observation that you will never make big money by buying and selling stocks.  You make really big money by buying and holding stocks.  

I know it's not sustainable but, including today (see stocks above) I'm up 15% YTD --- I know it's not sustainable and I'll chill down the road, but in the meantime certain stocks has surged since April so I'm just saying that it's a big MISS for those that didn't take advantage of this unique situation we have.  That's all.

Ultimately, I'll move things to a more conservative account or simply divest all together if there is a crash but until then I'll simply ride the wave with my momentum stocks mixed with some value stocks that are still down by ~ 50% since March.

Joel Biden is going to crush your testicles with short term capital gains.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2021, 04:06 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(02-08-2021, 04:03 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 04:01 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I know it's not sustainable but, including today (see stocks above) I'm up 15% YTD --- I know it's not sustainable and I'll chill down the road, but in the meantime certain stocks has surged since April so I'm just saying that it's a big MISS for those that didn't take advantage of this unique situation we have.  That's all.

Ultimately, I'll move things to a more conservative account or simply divest all together if there is a crash but until then I'll simply ride the wave with my momentum stocks mixed with some value stocks that are still down by ~ 50% since March.

Joel Biden is going to crush your testicles with short term capital gains.

i won't be cashing in during the Biden administration --- it's 401k so i'll wait for Trump in 2024 when i hopefully retire  ..... LOL

(02-08-2021, 04:05 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 04:03 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Joel Biden is going to crush your testicles with short term capital gains.

i won't be cashing in during the Biden administration --- it's 401k so i'll wait for Trump in 2024 when i hopefully retire  ..... LOL

You helped lobby for a scenario where Republicans will never win another election. I wish you luck in your "timing".

(02-08-2021, 01:48 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 11:03 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: SQ, ROKU, TSLA, TDOC, DIS, NVDA, TSM, TWTR all hitting it out of the park today.

BA looking good as well.

i almost want to sell of and call it a year.

I can tell you from personal experience and observation that you will never make big money by buying and selling stocks.  You make really big money by buying and holding stocks.  

I knew an old fart who showed me a brokerage statement from around 1982, and he apparently had owned a few hundred shares of Wal-Mart.  I asked him, what happened to those shares?  He had no idea.  But I do know what happened.  He made a profit and sold them, thereby missing several decades of growth in the value of that stock.  I'm sure he did this over and over in his life.  Made a profit, and sold.  

Buying and selling means you pick an entry point, pick an exit point, and if you have any gains, paying the income tax on the gains, then taking whatever is left and picking a new entrance point, and a new exit point, and hoping you're right every time, and in the meantime, taxes taxes taxes.  That's just a game, and you'll never get rich that way.

But, but...  "Highly educated transactions".   Laughing

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(02-08-2021, 04:11 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 04:05 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: i won't be cashing in during the Biden administration --- it's 401k so i'll wait for Trump in 2024 when i hopefully retire  ..... LOL

You helped lobby for a scenario where Republicans will never win another election. I wish you luck in your "timing".

The Republicans will be able to win over some Biden voters. The two-party system is robust.
If the Democrats ever win in a landslide, they will face the entropy of victory and some Democrats will defect, making the Republican party viable again.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(02-08-2021, 05:01 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 04:11 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: You helped lobby for a scenario where Republicans will never win another election. I wish you luck in your "timing".

The Republicans will be able to win over some Biden voters. The two-party system is robust.
If the Democrats ever win in a landslide, they will face the entropy of victory and some Democrats will defect, making the Republican party viable again.

The Republicans can't overcome mail-in voting and the fraud attached to it.

(02-08-2021, 05:20 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 05:01 PM)mikesez Wrote: The Republicans will be able to win over some Biden voters. The two-party system is robust.

The Republicans can't overcome mail-in voting and the fraud attached to it.

Even in systems with fraudulent elections, there is an entropy of victory and factions always form within the government.  It's just, those rivalries are fought outside the electoral system at that point, and they are opaque.

But, our system doesn't actually have that level of fraud.  The Republicans will win again if the Democrats adopt unpopular policies, or, if the Republicans adopt some new popular policies.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

You have no way of measuring fraud. It would be better to move forward looking at ways to rid our system of fraud than to pretend there isn't enough to be meaningful.

(This post was last modified: 02-09-2021, 07:36 AM by The Real Marty.)

(02-08-2021, 04:01 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 01:48 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I can tell you from personal experience and observation that you will never make big money by buying and selling stocks.  You make really big money by buying and holding stocks.  

Ultimately, I'll move things to a more conservative account or simply divest all together if there is a crash but until then I'll simply ride the wave with my momentum stocks mixed with some value stocks that are still down by ~ 50% since March.  I do admit, the more things go up the more nervous I get though.  This is totally crazy !!!  it's almost like a gameshow where you can keep advancing or cash in, only in this case, i can keep advancing with the option to take a step back and still cash in.

You will "...divest all together if there is a crash..." ??

Would that be after the crash or before the crash?  Because after the crash means you have lost your money.  And you will lock in your losses by selling after a crash.  Before the crash means you have successfully predicted a market crash, which is pretty impossible.  And selling during a crash is also pretty impossible, because everyone is selling and no one is buying.

(02-09-2021, 07:23 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 04:01 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I know it's not sustainable but, including today (see stocks above) I'm up 15% YTD --- I know it's not sustainable and I'll chill down the road, but in the meantime certain stocks has surged since April so I'm just saying that it's a big MISS for those that didn't take advantage of this unique situation we have.  That's all.

You will "...divest all together if there is a crash..." ??

Would that be after the crash or before the crash?  Because after the crash means you have lost your money.  And you will lock in your losses by selling after a crash.  Before the crash means you have successfully predicted a market crash, which is pretty impossible.  And selling during a crash is also pretty impossible, because everyone is selling and no one is buying.

A ton of people timed the market with this latest short squeeze fiasco. It seems like HURRICANE has been doing this type of thing for awhile, so I am confident he has managed to make some money. I also assume he questions if it is all worth it when he files his taxes every year.

(02-09-2021, 09:09 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(02-09-2021, 07:23 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: You will "...divest all together if there is a crash..." ??

A ton of people timed the market with this latest short squeeze fiasco. It seems like HURRICANE has been doing this type of thing for awhile, so I am confident he has managed to make some money. I also assume he questions if it is all worth it when he files his taxes every year.

capital gains don't get assessed in fidelity 401k brokerage link funds.  it's like putting your $$ in the 2035 account, only you have full control where your investments go.  I'll get the standard tax when I withdrawal after retirement but I'll limit such withdrawals so i don't go over the 12% tax bracket.

Anyway, switching gears ..... CNBC has been emphasizing the major shortage in the semiconductor field (e.g. NVDA, AMD, TSM, LRCX, INTC, others)  ..... also took a flyer on JNJ as their 1-shot vaccine (awaiting approval) seems to be global as you can store it in regular refrigerator temperatures which will be advantageous when vaccinating the population in 3rd world countries on the continents of Africa, India, and Asia

An article about who really made money on Gamestop. I know there is a pay wall for this, so I am copying and pasting the gist of it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/...et-wealth/

How the rich got richer: Reddit trading frenzy benefited Wall Street elite

Big hedge funds were alerted to GameStop buzz early because they actively monitor conversations on social media

Last month’s GameStop trading mania was sparked by members of a popular Reddit investing community who said they hoped to strike back at the Wall Street elites who had long dismissed them as dumb money. But growing evidence casts doubt on the idea that the episode mostly benefited small-time investors.

Giant mutual funds that own the largest stakes in GameStop saw the biggest gains in value. Hedge funds — some that have started using algorithms to track retail investors on social media sites — appear to have bought and sold millions of shares during the stock’s most volatile period of trading, industry experts said.

And, in at least some cases, novice investors lost their shirts.
... the rise in retail investors has also led some Wall Street firms to pay more attention to the mom-and-pop investors they used to ridicule. Hedge funds have started to build algorithms or hire outside firms that specialize in scanning conversations on Reddit and Twitter for clues about what retail traders are thinking. Several of these services, with names like Swaggy Stocks, Robintrack and Quiver Quantitative, popped up in the past two years.

Benn Eifert, chief investment officer of San Francisco-based investment fund QVR Advisors, said the largest hedge funds probably knew about the GameStop buzz early because they are actively monitoring conversations on social media forums.

(This post was last modified: 02-09-2021, 10:44 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

(02-09-2021, 10:06 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(02-09-2021, 09:09 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: A ton of people timed the market with this latest short squeeze fiasco. It seems like HURRICANE has been doing this type of thing for awhile, so I am confident he has managed to make some money. I also assume he questions if it is all worth it when he files his taxes every year.

capital gains don't get assessed in fidelity 401k brokerage link funds.  it's like putting your $$ in the 2035 account, only you have full control where your investments go.  I'll get the standard tax when I withdrawal after retirement but I'll limit such withdrawals so i don't go over the 12% tax bracket.

Anyway, switching gears ..... CNBC has been emphasizing the major shortage in the semiconductor field (e.g. NVDA, AMD, TSM, LRCX, INTC, others)  ..... also took a flyer on JNJ as their 1-shot vaccine (awaiting approval) seems to be global as you can store it in regular refrigerator temperatures which will be advantageous when vaccinating the population in 3rd world countries on the continents of Africa, India, and Asia

Maybe my 401K sucks or maybe it is limited based on my employer, but I don't have the liberty to make unlimited trades in there and can only move things around a couple times a year at most. On top of that, its all approved mutual funds, as there are certain restrictions that apply to my specific industry.

(This post was last modified: 02-09-2021, 11:47 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(02-09-2021, 10:42 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(02-09-2021, 10:06 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: capital gains don't get assessed in fidelity 401k brokerage link funds.  it's like putting your $$ in the 2035 account, only you have full control where your investments go.  I'll get the standard tax when I withdrawal after retirement but I'll limit such withdrawals so i don't go over the 12% tax bracket.

Maybe my 401K sucks or maybe it is limited based on my employer, but I don't have the liberty to make unlimited trades in there and can only move things around a couple times a year at most. On top of that, its all approved mutual funds, as there are certain restrictions that apply to my specific industry.

I have 401k that i didn't consolidate from another company and it does not allow for the brokerage link option but my 2 others do.

I can't recall who on this board steered me in that direction but I definitely owe them a beer a the Jags game !!!  The Brokerage Link account also allows for much more flexibility to trade each day (but you cannot buy and sell the same stock on the same day).  The other funds (S&P, Large Cap, 2035, Bond accounts, etc) used to restrict changes to 1 per quarter form the same account ---- i used to get warnings that would have restricted any moves for 1 year had i gone in and out of the S&P fund again ..... it was terrible !!!

(02-09-2021, 11:46 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(02-09-2021, 10:42 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Maybe my 401K sucks or maybe it is limited based on my employer, but I don't have the liberty to make unlimited trades in there and can only move things around a couple times a year at most. On top of that, its all approved mutual funds, as there are certain restrictions that apply to my specific industry.

I have 401k that i didn't consolidate from another company and it does not allow for the brokerage link option but my 2 others do.

I can't recall who on this board steered me in that direction but I definitely owe them a beer a the Jags game !!!  The Brokerage Link account also allow for much more flexibility to trade each day (but you cannot buy and sell the same stock on the same day).  The other funds (S&P, Large Cap, 2035, Bond accounts, etc) used to restrict changes to 1 per quarter form the same account ---- i used to get warnings that would have restricted any moves for 1 year had i gone in and out of the S&P fund again ..... it was terrible !!!

Oh, that is solid.

(02-09-2021, 10:39 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: An article about who really made money on Gamestop.   I know there is a pay wall for this, so I am copying and pasting the gist of it.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/...et-wealth/

How the rich got richer: Reddit trading frenzy benefited Wall Street elite

Good to see Bchmunnie hit on this one.

I like the story about the MIT Grad Student that previously had $500 in stock and cashed out at $200,000.   He wanted to let it ride but his friends convinced him to cash out.

(This post was last modified: 02-10-2021, 10:06 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Did somebody say Weed stocks !!!!

TLRY up 70% in 2 days
APHA up 50% in 2 days
CGC up 20% in 2 days
VFF up 15% in 2 days
ACB up 20% in 2 days

https://nypost.com/2021/02/09/pot-stocks...alization/

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2021, 11:17 PM by JaG4LyFe.)

(02-10-2021, 10:01 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Did somebody say Weed stocks !!!!

TLRY up 70% in 2 days
APHA up 50% in 2 days
CGC up 20% in 2 days
VFF up 15% in 2 days
ACB up 20% in 2 days

And that pump and dump is over with. I sure hope you got out Thursday Morning, because I did with my  +66percent for the week!

I took 1/2 my 66percent and dumped it on FSR Friday for the win...check out that chart!
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(02-13-2021, 10:57 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote:
(02-10-2021, 10:01 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Did somebody say Weed stocks !!!!

TLRY up 70% in 2 days
APHA up 50% in 2 days
CGC up 20% in 2 days
VFF up 15% in 2 days
ACB up 20% in 2 days

And that pump and dump is over with. I sure hope you got out Thursday Morning, because I did with my  +66percent for the week!

I took 1/2 my 66percent and dumped it on FSR Friday for the win...check out that chart!

Absolutely ---- I took my profits in APHA and VFF Thursday around 10am (I did miss the top though) then bought the dip (CGC) before the close on Thursday.  I think I'm going to go in on TLRY Tuesday when the market opens.  APHA actually bought TLRY but they will  be going by the name Tilray in the future.  I can't buy/sell or sell/buy the same stock in the same day (restrictions) so i usually juggle between companies within the same industry since stocks tend to go up and down via the industry (e.g. weed, EVs, oil, airlines, etc.) versus the actual company anymore.  

It's so weird because i know companies more by their symbol now than their actual company name ... LOL