Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Joe Biden's America

It's almost like people are intentionally being critical. Like, maybe someone had a theory that you tear down existing structures by criticizing anything that creates cultural hegemony and use that to transfer power to themselves. What would someone call that? I can't think of anything off the tip of my tongue, but it sure would be a critical theory. Ah, just guess I'm being paranoid. Nothing like that could gain any traction here because people are too educated and aware to fall for anything so stupid.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-02-2021, 06:17 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 04:11 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Dr. Seuss is canceled for other sins:

The Cat is Out of the Bag: Orientalism, Anti-Blackness, and White Supremacy in Dr. Seuss's Children's Books (stkate.edu)

...Background

Seuss’ History Publishing Racist Works

In the 1920s, Dr. Seuss published anti-Black and anti-Semitic cartoons in Dartmouth’s
humor magazine, the Jack-O-Lantern. He depicted a Jewish couple (captioned “the Cohen’s”)
with oversized noses and Jewish merchants on a football field with “Quarterback Mosenblum”
refusing to relinquish the ball until a bargain price as been established for the goods being sold
(Cohen 208). In the same issue of Jack-O-Lantern, Seuss drew Black male boxers as gorillas.
His cartoons, advertisements, and writings often exhibited explicit anti-Black racism. He
consistently portrayed Africans and African Americans as monkeys and cannibals—often
holding spears, surrounded by flies, and wearing grass skirts. In Judge magazine and College
Research on Diversity in Youth Literature, Vol. 1, Iss. 2 [2019], Art. 4
https://sophia.stkate.edu/rdyl/vol1/iss2/4
Humor, he published over a dozen cartoons depicting Black people as monkeys and repeatedly
captioned them as “n*ggers” (Cohen 212-13). For example, a cartoon Seuss made for Judge
magazine in 1929 depicts a group of thick-lipped Black men up for sale to White men. The sign
above them reads: “Take Home A High-Grade N*gger For Your Wood Pile” (Cohen 213). Other
captions he used with his images of Black people included: “Disgusted wife: ‘You hold a job,
Worthless? Say, n*gger, when you hold a job a week, mosquitos will brush their teeth with Flit
and like it!’” (Cohen 213) and “My, my, n*gger, what an impression youse goin’ to make when
you deliver this here wash to my clients” (Cohen 212). In 1928, in the first ever artwork that he
signed as “Dr. Seuss,” he drew a racist cartoon of a Japanese woman and children. The caption
spells the word “children” as “childlen,” which reflects the stereotype that Japanese people can’t
say their “R’s” (Cohen 86). Seuss’ racist depictions of Japanese people has been rationalized by
Seuss scholars as “war hysteria,” but this cartoon precedes his anti-Japanese propaganda during
World War II by over a decade. The same year, he launched the seventeen-year advertising
campaign he created for Flit insecticide that first made him famous (Nel, “Dr. Seuss” 6). Many
of these Flit ads featured racist and xenophobic depictions of Arabs, Muslims, and Black people
as caricatures or monkeys in subservient positions to White men...

Nobody remembers Flit insecticide.
Dr Seuss is not remembered for insecticide advertisements in the 1920s.
He's remembered for children books that he wrote starting in the 1930s, but really his best remembered book, the Grinch, was published in 1947.
And he's remembered for The Sneeches, an explicitly anti-racism book.
Now, in the context of a high school level American history class, it would be appropriate to show these racist cartoons from a well-known artist, to show how pervasive racism was in the 1920s.
Teaching about these very obscure and very old cartoons is not appropriate in any other context.  No one is perfect, and we need to overlook the mistakes of great figures like Dr. seuss, to redeem their stories.

How about we just let little children read Dr. Seuss books to you know... learn how to read?

It's not children (the target audience) that are "offended" or see anything racist in these books.  It's the "woke" educated brainwashed snowflakes on the left that see it.  

Does a little child with a toy like Mr. Potato Head see any kind of "gender bias" with the toy, or is it the "woke" educated indoctrinated snowflakes on the left?

Was the average person "offended" by Aunt Jemmima Pancake Syrup or Uncle Ben's Wild Rice?  Nope.  It was the "woke" educated indoctrinated snowflakes.

The list goes on and on.  Suddenly the "woke" brainwashed people on the left were "offended" by Civil War monuments so they had to be torn down or moved.

It is disturbing to me when I see how children today are being led and brainwashed into a "1984" type society.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2021, 07:38 PM by mikesez.)

(03-02-2021, 07:32 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 06:17 PM)mikesez Wrote: Nobody remembers Flit insecticide.
He's remembered for children books that he wrote starting in the 1930s, but really his best remembered book, the Grinch, was published in 1947.
Now, in the context of a high school level American history class, it would be appropriate to show these racist cartoons from a well-known artist, to show how pervasive racism was in the 1920s.
Teaching about these very obscure and very old cartoons is not appropriate in any other context.  No one is perfect, and we need to overlook the mistakes of great figures like Dr. seuss, to redeem their stories.

(1) How about we just let little children read Dr. Seuss books to you know... learn how to read?

(2) It's not children (the target audience) that are "offended" or see anything racist in these books.  It's the "woke" educated brainwashed snowflakes on the left that see it.  

(3)Does a little child with a toy like Mr. Potato Head see any kind of "gender bias" with the toy, or is it the "woke" educated indoctrinated snowflakes on the left?

(4)Was the average person "offended" by Aunt Jemmima Pancake Syrup or Uncle Ben's Wild Rice?  Nope.  It was the "woke" educated indoctrinated snowflakes.

The list goes on and on.  Suddenly the "woke" brainwashed people on the left were "offended" by Civil War monuments so they had to be torn down or moved.

It is disturbing to me when I see how children today are being led and brainwashed into a "1984" type society.

(1) I do. There are probably 20 of those books in my house, and I enjoy reading all of them to my children, and they enjoy it as well.

(2) completely agree. There is no racist content in the famous Dr Seuss books. there is some racist content and his overall body of work, but none of that was ever targeted to children.

(3) let's stay on topic

(4) let's stay on topic

You actually agree with my post, so why not be agreeable?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(03-02-2021, 07:37 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 07:32 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: (1) How about we just let little children read Dr. Seuss books to you know... learn how to read?

(2) It's not children (the target audience) that are "offended" or see anything racist in these books.  It's the "woke" educated brainwashed snowflakes on the left that see it.  

(3)Does a little child with a toy like Mr. Potato Head see any kind of "gender bias" with the toy, or is it the "woke" educated indoctrinated snowflakes on the left?

(4)Was the average person "offended" by Aunt Jemmima Pancake Syrup or Uncle Ben's Wild Rice?  Nope.  It was the "woke" educated indoctrinated snowflakes.

(1) I do. There are probably 20 of those books in my house, and I enjoy reading all of them to my children, and they enjoy it as well.

(2) completely agree. There is no racist content in the famous Dr Seuss books. there is some racist content and his overall body of work, but none of that was ever targeted to children.

(3) let's stay on topic

(4) let's stay on topic

(3) Staying on topic as this is Joe Biden's America.  A child's toy is getting changed not because it harmed a child or because they saw anything wrong with it.  It's because members of your "woke" party were "offended".

(4)  Staying on topic.  The average person was not "offended" by Aunt Jemmima Pancake Syrup or Uncle Ben's Wild Rice?  It was the "woke" educated indoctrinated snowflakes of your party that brought that on.

You might as well own it.  The whole "cancel culture" was born and bred in your and your President's party.

Speaking of your party, I see that at least a few democrats are finally calling for Cuomo to go away.  It's strange to me how your Vice President was so quick to believe Justice Kavanaugh's accusers but is silent regarding Cuomo's.  Of course the whole left "me too" crowd is absent regarding this.  Meanwhile the MSM is finally covering this a bit, deflecting away from Cuomo murdering people.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(03-02-2021, 07:32 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 06:17 PM)mikesez Wrote: Nobody remembers Flit insecticide.

How about we just let little children read Dr. Seuss books to you know... learn how to read?

It's not children (the target audience) that are "offended" or see anything racist in these books.  It's the "woke" educated brainwashed snowflakes on the left that see it.  

Does a little child with a toy like Mr. Potato Head see any kind of "gender bias" with the toy, or is it the "woke" educated indoctrinated snowflakes on the left?

Was the average person "offended" by Aunt Jemmima Pancake Syrup or Uncle Ben's Wild Rice?  Nope.  It was the "woke" educated indoctrinated snowflakes.

Not going to go above and beyond to number stuff like Mike, but

My daughter and her class are actively read a Dr Seuess book, right on!

I love aunt Jemima, Mrs buttersworth equally.  They both make my occasional pancakes taste phenomenal.

We’re supposedly offended by aunt jemima? Seriously?  Her [BLEEP] is awesome!!  So let’s take away her awesomeness and her syrup clout.  Where does that leave the people offended?   Shall we call it Mr Whites? Would that make people happy? No.  Let it be.  People need to lighten up.  This has gone way out of hand.   I do worry about my daughter growing up in this world.

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2021, 08:13 PM by mikesez.)

(03-02-2021, 07:54 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 07:37 PM)mikesez Wrote: (1) I do. There are probably 20 of those books in my house, and I enjoy reading all of them to my children, and they enjoy it as well.

(3) let's stay on topic

(4) let's stay on topic

(3) Staying on topic as this is Joe Biden's America.  A child's toy is getting changed not because it harmed a child or because they saw anything wrong with it.  It's because members of your "woke" party were "offended".

(4)  Staying on topic.  The average person was not "offended" by Aunt Jemmima Pancake Syrup or Uncle Ben's Wild Rice?  It was the "woke" educated indoctrinated snowflakes of your party that brought that on.

You might as well own it.  The whole "cancel culture" was born and bred in your and your President's party.

Speaking of your party, I see that at least a few democrats are finally calling for Cuomo to go away.  It's strange to me how your Vice President was so quick to believe Justice Kavanaugh's accusers but is silent regarding Cuomo's.  Of course the whole left "me too" crowd is absent regarding this.  Meanwhile the MSM is finally covering this a bit, deflecting away from Cuomo murdering people.

Yes there is such a thing as cancel culture.

Mr potato Head isn't actually canceled. They are adding a genderless potato to the mix. and it has nothing to do with the government or with Joe Biden.

Canceling Aunt jemima was for the best, and it was the decision of a private corporation, that had nothing to do with the government, and nothing to do with Joe Biden.

Joe Biden may have failed to keep a tradition of acknowledging Dr Seuss on his birthday, but there's no evidence that libraries are removing his books, or publishers are withdrawing them, or anything like that, nor is anything like that being proposed. Do you really want anyone to list the presidential traditions that Donald Trump failed to keep?! 

Yes, Harris is a hypocrite, tell us something we don't know.

In short, we agree with each other, stop being disagreeable, stop the name calling. Act like a mod for once.

(03-02-2021, 08:07 PM)Jags Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 07:32 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: How about we just let little children read Dr. Seuss books to you know... learn how to read?

Not going to go above and beyond to number stuff like Mike, but

I love aunt Jemima, Mrs buttersworth equally.  They both make my occasional pancakes taste phenomenal.

We’re supposedly offended by aunt jemima? Seriously?  Her [BLEEP] is awesome!!  So let’s take away her awesomeness and her syrup clout.  Where does that leave the people offended?   Shall we call it Mr Whites? Would that make people happy? No.  Let it be.  People need to lighten up.  This has gone way out of hand.   I do worry about my daughter growing up in this world.

Aunt Jemima has a racist undertone because the character was invented by white people and because back in those days, white people were taught to avoid calling black people Mister or Miss at all costs. A well to do white family would have a cook they called auntie and a butler they called Uncle. Meanwhile a black person was liable to be beaten if they ever referred to a white person as anything but Mr or Miss, regardless of if they were employed by that person or not.

Meanwhile the syrup and pancake mix will still be on the shelves, just with the company's original name.

(03-02-2021, 08:09 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 07:54 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: (3) Staying on topic as this is Joe Biden's America.  A child's toy is getting changed not because it harmed a child or because they saw anything wrong with it.  It's because members of your "woke" party were "offended".

Mr potato Head isn't actually canceled. They are adding a genderless potato to the mix. and it has nothing to do with the government or with Joe Biden.

Canceling Aunt jemima was for the best, and it was the decision of a private corporation, that had nothing to do with the government, and nothing to do with Joe Biden.

Joe Biden may have failed to keep a tradition of acknowledging Dr Seuss on his birthday, but there's no evidence that libraries are removing his books, or publishers are withdrawing them, or anything like that, nor is anything like that being proposed. Do you really want anyone to list the presidential traditions that Donald Trump failed to keep?! 

In short, we agree with each other, stop being disagreeable, stop the name calling. Act like a mod for once.

(03-02-2021, 08:07 PM)Jags Wrote: Not going to go above and beyond to number stuff like Mike, but

Aunt Jemima has a racist undertone because the character was invented by white people and because back in those days, white people were taught to avoid calling black people Mister or Miss at all costs. A well to do white family would have a cook they called auntie and a butler they called Uncle. Meanwhile a black person was liable to be beaten if they ever referred to a white person as anything but Mr or Miss, regardless of if they were employed by that person or not.

Meanwhile the syrup and pancake mix will still be on the shelves, just with the company's original name.

Uh, you was sayin'?

https://apnews.com/article/dr-seuss-book...594c174513

FTA: Six Dr. Seuss books — including “And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street” and “If I Ran the Zoo” — will stop being published because of racist and insensitive imagery, the business that preserves and protects the author’s legacy said Tuesday.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-02-2021, 08:09 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 07:54 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: (3) Staying on topic as this is Joe Biden's America.  A child's toy is getting changed not because it harmed a child or because they saw anything wrong with it.  It's because members of your "woke" party were "offended".

(03-02-2021, 08:07 PM)Jags Wrote: Not going to go above and beyond to number stuff like Mike, but

So what about today? And what about my pancakes that need a syrup?   Oh, I know, I’ll buy log cabin!   Until that’s deemed offensive because Abraham Lincoln lived in one and he freed the slaves.  Why that would be offensive, I’ll let the left explain.

(03-02-2021, 08:34 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 08:09 PM)mikesez Wrote: Yes there is such a thing as cancel culture.

Uh, you was sayin'?

https://apnews.com/article/dr-seuss-book...594c174513

FTA: Six Dr. Seuss books — including “And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street” and “If I Ran the Zoo” — will stop being published because of racist and insensitive imagery, the business that preserves and protects the author’s legacy said Tuesday.

Lol.  6 books that were never made into cartoons, never part of his theme park, that no one has heard of.  My point stands.

Dr. Seuss stuff has always creeped me out. I’m okay if they canceled all his stuff. Ninja
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(03-02-2021, 08:35 PM)Jags Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 08:09 PM)mikesez Wrote: Yes there is such a thing as cancel culture.

So what about today? And what about my pancakes that need a syrup?   Oh, I know, I’ll buy log cabin!   Until that’s deemed offensive because Abraham Lincoln lived in one and he freed the slaves.  Why that would be offensive, I’ll let the left explain.

Brands come and go. Brand names that continue to cause good feelings continue.  Brand names that don't, don't.  Sometimes the bad feelings are racism, especially during our current mass hysteria about racism, but usually it's something else entirely.

(03-02-2021, 09:02 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Dr. Seuss stuff has always creeped me out. I’m okay if they canceled all his stuff. Ninja

Dr Seuss rocks
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(03-02-2021, 09:28 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 09:02 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Dr. Seuss stuff has always creeped me out. I’m okay if they canceled all his stuff. Ninja

Dr Seuss rocks

No, that’s the stuff drug induced nightmares are made of!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(03-02-2021, 11:01 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 09:28 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Dr Seuss rocks

No, that’s the stuff drug induced nightmares are made of!

Bah.. i can only hope when I officially retire and I go on my peyote fuel infused vacation, it's to Whoville so I can count different colored fish and look at a fox in sox..

(03-02-2021, 11:12 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 11:01 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: No, that’s the stuff drug induced nightmares are made of!

Bah.. i can only hope when I officially retire and I go on my peyote fuel infused vacation, it's to Whoville so I can count different colored fish and look at a fox in sox..

Finally something we can agree on!

(03-02-2021, 11:28 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 11:12 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Bah.. i can only hope when I officially retire and I go on my peyote fuel infused vacation, it's to Whoville so I can count different colored fish and look at a fox in sox..

Finally something we can agree on!

You're stuck with me until then

(03-02-2021, 09:06 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 08:35 PM)Jags Wrote: So what about today? And what about my pancakes that need a syrup?   Oh, I know, I’ll buy log cabin!   Until that’s deemed offensive because Abraham Lincoln lived in one and he freed the slaves.  Why that would be offensive, I’ll let the left explain.

Brands come and go. Brand names that continue to cause good feelings continue.  Brand names that don't, don't.  Sometimes the bad feelings are racism, especially during our current mass hysteria about racism, but usually it's something else entirely.

What's this?  Are you actually admitting that liberals have elevated racism and public perception of that which they allege to be racist, to a hysterical level?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2021, 11:52 PM by homebiscuit.)

We shall promote diversity and inclusion by conducting segregated meetings.

Do multiracial students get to attend each?

Douglas Anderson email: ‘Cultural meetings’ to be split for ‘students of color’ & ‘white students’ (news4jax.com)

(03-02-2021, 11:31 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 11:28 PM)mikesez Wrote: Finally something we can agree on!

You're stuck with me until then

I'm actually hoping you won't bogart the peyote

(03-02-2021, 11:33 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 09:06 PM)mikesez Wrote: Brands come and go. Brand names that continue to cause good feelings continue.  Brand names that don't, don't.  Sometimes the bad feelings are racism, especially during our current mass hysteria about racism, but usually it's something else entirely.

What's this?  Are you actually admitting that liberals have elevated racism and public perception of that which they allege to be racist, to a hysterical level?

Of course and I said it before too.
Some of them are just accusing any idea they don't like of being racist.
Top two primaries? We don't like that. Racist!
Want more critical thinking questions in math classes, but can't get the school board's attention? Let's say the way we teach math now is racist!
Unfortunately this is literally a boy who cried wolf situation.  Yes the boy is lying but also yes there really is a wolf and we need to be vigilant and strike the wolf when we see it.