Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ode to "let's talk about" ll

(03-02-2021, 07:01 PM)Jags Wrote: Something that dawn on me the other day...  I wonder what the people in the Southern Hemisphere feel about the “summer” Olympics. Same with winter.  For some reason, that popped in my head the other day for no apparent reason.

People in the Southern Hemisphere don't count.  For crying out loud their toilets swirl backwards!

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-02-2021, 07:34 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 07:01 PM)Jags Wrote: Something that dawn on me the other day...  I wonder what the people in the Southern Hemisphere feel about the “summer” Olympics. Same with winter.  For some reason, that popped in my head the other day for no apparent reason.

People in the Southern Hemisphere don't count.  For crying out loud their toilets swirl backwards!

Lol, I agree.  I also think that is not the only thing that is backwards down “yonder”.  But it must be odd for them to leave their country in winter and have summer temps.  I certainly won’t lose sleep about it, yet, I’ll wonder.  It’s a curse of mine.

(03-02-2021, 07:58 PM)Jags Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 07:34 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: People in the Southern Hemisphere don't count.  For crying out loud their toilets swirl backwards!

Lol, I agree.  I also think that is not the only thing that is backwards down “yonder”.  But it must be odd for them to leave their country in winter and have summer temps.  I certainly won’t lose sleep about it, yet, I’ll wonder.  It’s a curse of mine.

At my job we sometimes train people from Norway.  They leave their country which is cold and dark most of the time (during winter) and come here where they can wear shorts and play golf.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2021, 08:28 PM by Jags.)

(03-02-2021, 08:03 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 07:58 PM)Jags Wrote: Lol, I agree.  I also think that is not the only thing that is backwards down “yonder”.  But it must be odd for them to leave their country in winter and have summer temps.  I certainly won’t lose sleep about it, yet, I’ll wonder.  It’s a curse of mine.

At my job we sometimes train people from Norway.  They leave their country which is cold and dark most of the time (during winter) and come here where they can wear shorts and play golf.

I’m sure it is a really cool novelty to feel a different climate.  Most transplants in Florida have felt it before, I’d think.  Especially departing from the plane and exiting the airport! Man, that’ll knock one on their butt!  Good for them to be able to have a round or two.  Do they ever complain about the humidity?  Or are they usually down in the cooler months?   We may not be Louisiana, but that humidity will takes its toll on someone not used to and acclimated to it.

Starship SN10 getting ready for hop near the top of the hour. Pretty interesting to watch. 

LIVE: Starship SN10 Flight Test - YouTube

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2021, 07:26 PM by Jags.)

(03-03-2021, 03:42 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Starship SN10 getting ready for hop near the top of the hour. Pretty interesting to watch. 

LIVE: Starship SN10 Flight Test - YouTube

Scrubbed.  I spent 25 minutes watching that live feed!  Thank you, btw.  Once the damn thing’s engine/rocket fired it stopped.  A bit of a let down.  But, I get it.  Was excited to see if it landed or not before it blew up.  I’m rooting for them.  I really am.  Maybe next time!

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2021, 07:30 PM by homebiscuit.)

Success! It landed but not exactly as it should have. It appears one of the landing legs collapsed. It's upright, but leaning.

Wow! It just exploded straight up while sitting on the landing pad!

(03-03-2021, 07:28 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Success! It landed but not exactly as it should have. It appears one of the landing legs collapsed. It's upright, but leaning.

Are you kidding?  I watched that thing and they “scrubbed” it.   Said it was more than likely postponed.  Didn’t except it to launch today.  Damn it! I missed it!!!

(03-03-2021, 07:30 PM)Jags Wrote:
(03-03-2021, 07:28 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Success! It landed but not exactly as it should have. It appears one of the landing legs collapsed. It's upright, but leaning.

Are you kidding?  I watched that thing and they “scrubbed” it.   Said it was more than likely postponed.  Didn’t except it to launch today.  Damn it! I missed it!!!

The first launch was aborted but launched a few hours later. It landed, then exploded.

(03-03-2021, 07:38 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-03-2021, 07:30 PM)Jags Wrote: Are you kidding?  I watched that thing and they “scrubbed” it.   Said it was more than likely postponed.  Didn’t except it to launch today.  Damn it! I missed it!!!

The first launch was aborted but launched a few hours later. It landed, then exploded.
Is there a link where we can watch the carnage?  Sucks they haven’t quite figured it out.

(03-03-2021, 09:15 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: SpaceX's SN10 Starship sticks the landing -- and then explodes (yahoo.com)

Watched the video.  Impressive.  But that link didn’t show the explosion.  I see it landed.   After landing, I see flames.  That could be normal for all know but it was then extinguished.  Did this thing actually “explode” after the fact?

(03-03-2021, 09:29 PM)Jags Wrote:
(03-03-2021, 09:15 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: SpaceX's SN10 Starship sticks the landing -- and then explodes (yahoo.com)

Watched the video.  Impressive.  But that link didn’t show the explosion.  I see it landed.   After landing, I see flames.  That could be normal for all know but it was then extinguished.  Did this thing actually “explode” after the fact?

They've removed it since I posted the link. 

Here's another:

https://twitter.com/NASASpaceflight/stat...45670?s=20

Oh wow. That sucks, to say the least. Sooner or later, I’m guessing sooner, they’ll get things ironed out. That live link you posted earlier was nice. I’m obviously not as in tuned to when the launches are as you. I enjoyed watching it up until just past 3:14 when they aborted. The way they talked, sounded like they weren’t going to try again today. If you’re able to in the future to post those again for upcoming launches, I for one would definitely appreciate it. Thanks for sharing!

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2021, 06:17 PM by Jags.)

Well, I am no longer a business owner.   I am now an employee of it and my official title is “President” of said company.   This, by advise from the CPA.  I am promising myself I won’t let that get to my head.  Yet, I also can’t wait til Monday so I can rub it in.  Maybe give a few executive orders.  Get an F350, scratch that, 3 armored ones so we can do the 3 car monte so no one knows which one I’m in.  I’m still trying to figure out whether the guys will have to salute me or not and when the appropriate time is to play “Hail to the Chief”  Man, theyre gonna hate me until I quite cheesing about it.  Not that I need any confirmation on what I do or anything.  But it kinda is.  Let’s me know all the blood sweats and tears meant something.  That I “made” it.

(03-04-2021, 06:09 PM)Jags Wrote: Well, I am no longer a business owner.   I am now an employee of it and my official title is “President” of said company.   This, by advise from the CPA.  I am promising myself I won’t let that get to my head.  Yet, I also can’t wait til Monday so I can rub it in.  Maybe give a few executive orders.  Get an F350, scratch that, 3 armored ones so we can do the 3 car monte so no one knows which one I’m in.  I’m still trying to figure out whether the guys will have to salute me or not and when the appropriate time is to play “Hail to the Chief”  Man, theyre gonna hate me until I quite cheesing about it.  Not that I need any confirmation on what I do or anything.  But it kinda is.  Let’s me know all the blood sweats and tears meant something.  That I “made” it.

Isn't this a demotion?

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2021, 06:58 PM by Jags.)

(03-04-2021, 06:27 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-04-2021, 06:09 PM)Jags Wrote: Well, I am no longer a business owner.   I am now an employee of it and my official title is “President” of said company.   This, by advise from the CPA.  I am promising myself I won’t let that get to my head.  Yet, I also can’t wait til Monday so I can rub it in.  Maybe give a few executive orders.  Get an F350, scratch that, 3 armored ones so we can do the 3 car monte so no one knows which one I’m in.  I’m still trying to figure out whether the guys will have to salute me or not and when the appropriate time is to play “Hail to the Chief”  Man, theyre gonna hate me until I quite cheesing about it.  Not that I need any confirmation on what I do or anything.  But it kinda is.  Let’s me know all the blood sweats and tears meant something.  That I “made” it.

Isn't this a demotion?

That was kind of my thoughts as well.  But had I listened in the past few years it would have save a lot in taxes over the years.  Last year alone, 7500 would have been saved.   He’s been telling me to do so, but I was a bit nervous.  It was “over my head”.  But I now have added safety legally and can still draw the “dividends”.  In other words, I pay less taxes and still get to keep the net profits.  There’s other stuff it’ll add to me but it’s mainly tax and legal stuff.  Plus, if I ever decide to sell, it makes it a lot easier to change hands.  No plans on that as of yet.  But a “true corporation” with clean books would add to what I’d be able to get out of it.  They told be I was “a big boy lawn company” it was well past time to do this.  I’ll take my accolades and keep my taxes.

I also changed the phone into the business account and have unlimited w/ Verizon for 35/ mo. Plus the line access crap.  Still saved money there.  Plus my own dedicated rep!! They just keep making me cheese with all these benefits!   Silly, but I’ll eat it up.

I’ll just keep on mowing on and let the professionals in their respective areas do what they do.  In all honesty, nothing much changes on my end.  I’ll still be out there with the guys and such.  I’ll still get paid the some.  Just part is in a paycheck and the other in dividends.  Which is why other retirement plans are necessary.  Which, we’ve got an appointment with an advisor in Apr.  I’ll get [BLEEP] on SS, but let’s face it, you can’t live off SS anyways.

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2021, 09:16 PM by Jags.)

I equate it to this:   If you keep cash in a safe, you’re losing money due to inflation.  The advisor will tell you to put that money somewhere where it makes you more.  Same with the taxes.  I’ve paid Uncle Sam too much and a good CPA is a good CPA.  He’ll save me there on that end.  Really nothing special but not being the “owner” is saddening. But Bill gates was president too as well as other officer positions.  Even though he wasn’t the “owner”. Same difference I suppose.  Except he may make a bit more than I do.

(03-04-2021, 07:02 PM)Jags Wrote: I equate it to this:   If you keep cash in a safe, you’re losing money due to inflation.  The advisor will tell you to put that money somewhere where it makes you more.  Same with the taxes.  I’ve paid Uncle Sam too much and a good CPA is a good CPA.  He’ll save me there on that end.  Really nothing special but not being the “owner” is saddening. But Bill gates was president too as well as other officer positions.  Even though he wasn’t the “owner”. Same difference I suppose.  Except he may make a bit more than I do.

Congrats!

President is also my title haha. Always smile a bit when writing it out.

Does anyone else remember when Greyhound and Trailways buses were ubiquitous on the interstates?

When is the last time you actually saw a commercial bus on the highway? I saw a Greyhound on I-10 about five years ago.