Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Potential 2021 Free Agents

(This post was last modified: 03-10-2021, 01:24 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(03-10-2021, 10:37 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I think we're gonna hear some surprising names being cut in the coming days, especially in New Orleans. They have restructured the contracts of a ton of players and yet they are still $49 million over the cap. Now, they've franchised Marcus Williams. That even makes it worse. I'm praying they release one of their OT's. It may be a long shot, but $49 million is a lot of money and they've already re-structured most of the contracts that they could. Anything is possible at this point.
They wouldn't just really let their top players go with getting nothing in return lol.  They would trade and get picks if anything

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The next 7 days are going to be real interesting. I am sure the Jaguars phone is ringing off the hook with teams looking to trade with us. Time is on our side as teams struggle with who to cut to get under the cap. Imagine having some really good players and knowing you have only another 7 days to get what you believe fair value is. The alternative is having to cut them and get nothing. The Jags are uniquely positioned to bail some of these teams out of their cap problems. Hope we be smart...lol
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(This post was last modified: 03-10-2021, 01:14 PM by Bullseye.)

(03-10-2021, 10:52 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-10-2021, 10:37 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I think we're gonna hear some surprising names being cut in the coming days, especially in New Orleans. They have restructured the contracts of a ton of players and yet they are still $49 million over the cap. Now, they've franchised Marcus Williams. That even makes it worse. I'm praying they release one of their OT's. It may be a long shot, but $49 million is a lot of money and they've already re-structured most of the contracts that they could. Anything is possible at this point.
They wouldn't just really their top players with getting nothing in return lol.  They would trade and get picks if anything

Maybe...maybe not.

Teams can simply wait them out, but they do so at the risk of losing out on the player of the player hits the open market.

They have already cut Kwon Alexander and Emmanuel Sanders.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(03-10-2021, 12:56 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-10-2021, 10:52 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: They wouldn't just really their top players with getting nothing in return lol.  They would trade and get picks if anything

Maybe...maybe not.

Teams can simply wait them out, but they do so at the risk of losing out on the player of the player hits the open market.

That saved them another $19 million, but they are still approximately $30 million over the cap.

The saints aren't cutting or trading either tackle or Lattimore don't set yourself up for disappointment.

(03-10-2021, 03:20 PM)Upper Wrote: The saints aren't cutting or trading either tackle or Lattimore don't set yourself up for disappointment.

Maybe they won't. It's not like I'm expecting it to happen, but it's not an impossibility either. Terron Armstead is in the final year of his contract. The Saints could save a little over $6 million by cutting or trading him. Ryan Ramczyk is also in the final year of his deal and the Saints could save a clear $11 million with no dead money by cutting or trading him. Both guys are gonna command huge deals in 2022 and that's gonna be a problem for the Saints. I truly believe one of these guys might get traded and the Saints could get quite the haul in return, so they could re-stock the positions they lose with young, cheap talent.

The Bills have released WR John Brown.

(03-10-2021, 03:43 PM)Bullseye Wrote: The Bills have released WR John Brown.

I could see the Chiefs going after him. They love speed.

(This post was last modified: 03-10-2021, 04:38 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(03-10-2021, 12:56 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-10-2021, 10:52 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: They wouldn't just really their top players with getting nothing in return lol.  They would trade and get picks if anything

Maybe...maybe not.

You are talking about 2 of the best tackles in the league.  Teams just don't cut really good tackles,  multiple teams would trade for either if they are on the trade block. Alexander wasn't very good last year and overpaid and Sanders best days are behind him. Big difference

(03-10-2021, 04:36 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-10-2021, 12:56 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Maybe...maybe not.

You are talking about 2 of the best tackles in the league.  Teams just don't cut really good tackles,  multiple teams would trade for either if they are on the trade block. Alexander wasn't very good last year and overpaid and Sanders best days are behind him.  Big difference

I would love for either of those OT's to be on the trade block. I'd easily give up the #25 and #65 for Armstead or I'd give up the #25 and #33 to acquire Ramczyk.

(03-10-2021, 06:03 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-10-2021, 04:36 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: You are talking about 2 of the best tackles in the league.  Teams just don't cut really good tackles,  multiple teams would trade for either if they are on the trade block. Alexander wasn't very good last year and overpaid and Sanders best days are behind him.  Big difference

I would love for either of those OT's to be on the trade block. I'd easily give up the #25 and #65 for Armstead or I'd give up the #25 and #33 to acquire Ramczyk.

I'd say the 25 and 45 for either.

I think, from reading all the interviews with Urb, we aren't going to be spending a lot of resources on the offensive line. It appears that his priorities are really everything but that, starting with the defensive line.

(This post was last modified: 03-10-2021, 07:07 PM by Bullseye.)

(03-10-2021, 06:55 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think, from reading all the interviews with Urb, we aren't going to be spending a lot of resources on the offensive line.   It appears that his priorities are really everything but that, starting with the defensive line.

I wonder if this is limited to free agency or does it extend to the draft.

Hopefully, it's just free agency and that he would be open to drafting an OL or two.

Vikings Release LT Riley Reiff

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...ley-reiff/

Or....get this....Urban is using a smoke-screen and will look for a star OL in FA or trade. Who knows. We will see.

(03-10-2021, 07:05 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-10-2021, 06:55 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think, from reading all the interviews with Urb, we aren't going to be spending a lot of resources on the offensive line.   It appears that his priorities are really everything but that, starting with the defensive line.

Hopefully, it's just free agency and that he would be open to drafting an OL or two.

Now this one is interesting....... Reiff was one of the better OT's in the NFL last season allowing only 1 sack and committing only 1 penalty in over 1000 snaps. He automatically becomes the 2nd most sought after OT in free agency imo. He would be a huge upgrade over either one of our OT's.

Baalke and Meyer are being honest in their broad, and vague, assessments, but they also know how to play the free agency and draft game and not "show their cards". Beyond Trevor Lawrence....we don't have a clue.

(03-10-2021, 03:20 PM)Upper Wrote: The saints aren't cutting or trading either tackle or Lattimore don't set yourself up for disappointment.

You wouldn't think so, but their salary cap situation is terrible.  Most of their highly paid players are already on back loaded contracts where cutting them would hurt their salary cap position instead of helping it.  It's hard to see how they get under the cap without getting rid of either tackle, Lattimore, or Marcus Williams who they just franchised.  It's mathematically possible and maybe that's what they do, but they'll have to restructure virtually every remaining contract that hasn't already been restructured and then make several player cuts on top of that.  I'm curious of their plan.

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2021, 02:20 AM by Bullseye.)

(03-11-2021, 02:11 AM)TheDuke007 Wrote:

You wouldn't think so, but their salary cap situation is terrible.  Most of their highly paid players are already on back loaded contracts where cutting them would hurt their salary cap position instead of helping it.  It's hard to see how they get under the cap without getting rid of either tackle, Lattimore, or Marcus Williams who they just franchised.  It's mathematically possible and maybe that's what they do, but they'll have to restructure virtually every remaining contract that hasn't already been restructured and then make several player cuts on top of that.  I'm curious of their plan.

This is what I was thinking.

They were some $50 million over the cap a few days ago, and now they are some $30 million over.  Someone they would ordinarily keep is going to be cut or traded.

(03-10-2021, 07:26 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-10-2021, 07:05 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I wonder if this is limited to free agency or does it extend to the draft.

Now this one is interesting....... Reiff was one of the better OT's in the NFL last season allowing only 1 sack and committing only 1 penalty in over 1000 snaps. He automatically becomes the 2nd most sought after OT in free agency imo. He would be a huge upgrade over either one of our OT's.
He should be cheaper than Trent Williams.

Whether that's enough to get the current Jagaurs brass to bite is another matter.

(03-10-2021, 07:05 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

With 11 draft picks, I think it's safe to assume that at least one will be spent on an OL.  But I don't think it will be an instant starter.  I get the very strong impression that the focus will be on defense and offensive weapons.  Which is basically saying, everything but the offensive line.

(03-11-2021, 05:57 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-10-2021, 07:05 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I wonder if this is limited to free agency or does it extend to the draft.

With 11 draft picks, I think it's safe to assume that at least one will be spent on an OL.  But I don't think it will be an instant starter.  I get the very strong impression that the focus will be on defense and offensive weapons.  Which is basically saying, everything but the offensive line.

Drafting an OT late in the draft is like not drafting an OT at all. They virtually have no chance of starting. You can find starting IOL in the mid to late rounds, but that isn't our immediate need. Rarely can you find starting OT's that late, so it would be pointless. Those rounds are for developmental OT's and since we have an O-Line Coach who can't develop young OT's, it would just be a wasted pick.