Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags and Free Agency

(03-16-2021, 02:34 PM)Upper Wrote: Another question is why are we seriously backloading these deals? They all have tiny first year salaries. We should be taking advantage of this situation and front loading so we have more space in the future when we're more competitive.

Because that's what Baalke does. He did it in San Francisco and it put them in cap hell. That's part of the reason I detested promoting him to GM. He's gonna do the same with us.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Hopefully it is because we are massively frontloading a 3 year deal for Trent Williams. Would probably take 3 years/70 million with 50 million guaranteed.

(03-16-2021, 10:04 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote: Patriots have signed Hunter Henry. Great job Urban

Kinda wondering if Billy is daring Kraft to fire him at this point. They are spending like madmen, and they've got to be planning to make a jump in the darft, cuz Cam ain't gonna carry them anywhere.

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2021, 03:19 PM by JaG4LyFe.)

(03-16-2021, 02:45 PM)JeepJag Wrote: Hopefully it is because we are massively frontloading a 3 year deal for Trent Williams. Would probably take 3 years/70 million with 50 million guaranteed.

You've been here longer than that to know better. Thanks for your optimism though
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(03-16-2021, 02:34 PM)Upper Wrote: Another question is why are we seriously backloading these deals? They all have tiny first year salaries. We should be taking advantage of this situation and front loading so we have more space in the future when we're more competitive.

Says the guy that preaches about salary cap being fiction and then complains about the way we do contracts lol.  Comical

Give me Anthony Harris and one of Golladay/Samuel/Everett/Ertz and I'll actually be really happy with this class

(03-16-2021, 01:22 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Not a lot of noise on Fuller, Golladay and Samuel. Lets get Trevor some more weapons!

spending on WR is dumb, even if they return kicks.

(03-16-2021, 03:11 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 01:22 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Not a lot of noise on Fuller, Golladay and Samuel. Lets get Trevor some more weapons!

spending on WR is dumb, even if they return kicks.

Might as well draft three WRs too! You know speed and all

Lions just released Danny Shelton. He'd be a MASSIVE body to plug in the middle.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

if you don't plan on them being here for the duration of the contract, it's fine so long as that's not guaranteed salary. It's also a recipe for disaster if any of these guys do play well and 3 years from now are making say $4M that year when everyone around their ability is pulling in 12....just asking for a holdout then.

(03-16-2021, 03:18 PM)NCJag Wrote: Lions just released Danny Shelton. He'd be a MASSIVE body to plug in the middle.

I like!

Also with the Alualu signing I'll change my prediction of a 4 3 to a hybrid 4 3 3 4. It's going to take two years to shed Schobert and Jack contracts

(03-16-2021, 03:18 PM)Mikey Wrote:

if you don't plan on them being here for the duration of the contract, it's fine so long as that's not guaranteed salary. It's also a recipe for disaster if any of these guys do play well and 3 years from now are making say $4M that year when everyone around their ability is pulling in 12....just asking for a holdout then.

But that's exactly what giving them higher signing bonus tiny year 1 salaries does. It spreads the cap hit out over the whole duration of the contract whether we cut them or not.

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2021, 03:42 PM by Jagulars.)

Rodney Hudson was released from the Raiders. Maybe consider taking him and moving Linder to RG?

(03-16-2021, 03:32 PM)Upper Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 03:18 PM)Mikey Wrote: if you don't plan on them being here for the duration of the contract, it's fine so long as that's not guaranteed salary. It's also a recipe for disaster if any of these guys do play well and 3 years from now are making say $4M that year when everyone around their ability is pulling in 12....just asking for a holdout then.

But that's exactly what giving them higher signing bonus tiny year 1 salaries does. It spreads the cap hit out over the whole duration of the contract whether we cut them or not.

That's what I am saying. I also should admit I imagined the front/backloading as using equal signing bonus for each. if the plan is to "rent" a player for two seasons, why would you front-load the deal? Give them a nice signing bonus and minimal salary, and in two years you can take a minor hit and move on before they cost a ton more. Or, if they are playing lights out, let them play the high-salary years on the deal. The other option (assuming the signing bonus is the same for each deal) is to add salary this year and or next, and by year three the player is either cut for the same dead money hit, or requires an extension because they won't want to play for peanuts on the remainder of the deal.

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2021, 04:03 PM by ATLjag.)

(03-16-2021, 03:18 PM)NCJag Wrote: Lions just released Danny Shelton. He'd be a MASSIVE body to plug in the middle.
He got outplayed last season in Detroit by a late draft pick.  I would not be opposed to bring him in to compete/rotate for the nose, assuming he is on the cheap.  He is much younger than Al Woods. Interested to hear D6's opinion on him.

(03-16-2021, 02:30 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 02:20 PM)ATLjag Wrote: ....they basically picked up a 6'6" blocking TE in Manhertz, which they must hope to be a young Mercedes.

I think this is actually our best signing considering we needed a player of that mold. Hopefully this opens the opportunity of drafting Pitts
Pitts will be long gone before pick 1-25.

It gives flexibility in the current season.  If they don't spend the cap this year, the space will be available in the future, as unused cap rolls over to the next season.

The best thing about this FA is it doesn't change our draft, we still go BAP regardless of position

I am inclined to agree, though I wonder why his bulk never translated into success in Cleveland or New England.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Juju?