Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags and Free Agency

(This post was last modified: 03-21-2021, 03:48 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(03-21-2021, 03:38 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-21-2021, 03:32 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Other teams can look at us and say the same thing. I always believe in building via the trenches. Have a solid O-Line in place and then get a franchise QB. You must protect the QB. The Bengals didn't do that last season and it bit them in the butt. Now, it appears they have learned their lesson and have 2 good OT's in place for Burrow. They just need to draft Sewell for the future and focus on the interior O-Line. We had the benefit of having a decent interior, yet we've ignored the dire need at OT.

The dline is just as important to the defense and the oline is to the offense.  You need both to have a good football team

Agreed. That's why I said the trenches, but Rome wasn't built in a day. We're not gonna turn the team around in one year. My main focus would've been protecting the new QB and then focus on the defense. We now have a very good 3-4 D-Line, but no edge protection for the QB. It's a matter of prioritizing. I don't even know if I would play Lawrence in 2021, behind Robinson and Taylor. That is an unnecessary risk.

(03-21-2021, 03:40 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote:
(03-21-2021, 03:38 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: The dline is just as important to the defense and the oline is to the offense.  You need both to have a good football team

Meyer said we'd be non-functional without  the d-line. Clearly his number one priority. Of course it's also because our d-line last year was the way it was.

I believe that is the wrong way to think. Protecting a QB who is the #1 pick in the draft when you currently have the two worst OT's in the NFL, should be priority one.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-21-2021, 03:46 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-21-2021, 03:38 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: The dline is just as important to the defense and the oline is to the offense.  You need both to have a good football team

Agreed. That's why I said the trenches, but Rome wasn't built in a day. We're not gonna turn the team around in one year. My main focus would've been protecting the new QB and then focus on the defense. We now have a very good 3-4 D-Line, but no edge protection for the QB. It's a matter of prioritizing. I don't even know if I would play Lawrence in 2021, behind Robinson and Taylor. That is an unnecessary risk.

(03-21-2021, 03:40 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: Meyer said we'd be non-functional without  the d-line. Clearly his number one priority. Of course it's also because our d-line last year was the way it was.

I believe that is the wrong way to think. Protecting a QB who is the #1 pick in the draft when you currently have the two worst OT's in the NFL, should be priority one.

If Taylor and Robinson are gonna be the starters I would bet that Trevor doesn't survive the whole season.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(This post was last modified: 03-21-2021, 05:29 PM by D6.)

(03-21-2021, 01:58 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-21-2021, 01:04 PM)D6 Wrote: Even with the Jaguars entering the FA period with the most salary cap space, I'm of the opinion that for the Jaguars situation, the investment in Marvin Jones under the terms he signed for is a better decision than if the Jaguars would have signed Kenny Golladay at even close to what the Giants gave him.  

Marvin Jones is a much more experienced player than Kenny Golladay and hence far better equipped to aid Trevor Lawrence with mental components of playing QB in the NFL.  The fact that the Jaguars agreed to terms with Marvin Jones only hours after the legal tampering period began speaks volumes of the overall value that OC Darrell Bevell believes Jones will bring to Jacksonville. 

Even if age / wear and tear catch up to Jones in 2021 or 2022,  I think the signing will end up bring a good decision because priority # 1 for the Jags in this time frame should be the development of Trevor Lawrence.  Because Bevell coached Jones for 2 seasons with the Lions,  he knows what he can expect from Jones day in, day out.

Agreed D6

https://twitter.com/JeffRisdon/status/13...4751304710

After seeing your previous post, this caught my attention that much more.

This is a sport you can’t play in fear, talk of not playing Trevor is ridiculous, eagles and cowboys have had two of the best lines over recent years hasn’t stopped there qbs getting injured. Even with the best lines you run the risk, qbs get hit every game it’s just part of it. Seattle and Texans have had horrible lines for years and there qbs are forever on the run but neither miss much game time, it all comes down to luck with injuries.

Yes cam and Taylor are going to need upgrading in the future if they don’t improve, but with 3 poor qbs last season who were sacked a lot I don’t remember any of them taking brutal hits where you thought there getting the guy killed out there.

People have that much hate for our tackles you’ve convinced yourselves a tackle at 25 who’s never played an nfl down is significant upgrade. The truth is nobody knows. It’s all opinion. But if we had 2/3 rookies going into the season on the line I’d be much more concerned about our qbs health.

Let lawrence play a season and get comfortable with, and experienced line, and receivers. He and every other player will be at risk of getting hurt on every down like every team in the league

(03-22-2021, 04:04 AM)Craigukjag Wrote: This is a sport you can’t play in fear, talk of not playing Trevor is ridiculous, eagles and cowboys have had two of the best lines over recent years hasn’t stopped there qbs getting injured. Even with the best lines you run the risk, qbs get hit every game it’s just part of it. Seattle and Texans have had horrible lines for years and there qbs are forever on the run but neither miss much game time, it all comes down to luck with injuries.

Yes cam and Taylor are going to need upgrading in the future if they don’t improve, but with 3 poor qbs last season who were sacked a lot I don’t remember any of them taking brutal hits where you thought there getting the guy killed out there.

People have that much hate for our tackles you’ve convinced yourselves a tackle at 25 who’s never played an nfl down is significant upgrade. The truth is nobody knows. It’s all opinion. But if we had 2/3 rookies going into the season on the line I’d be much more concerned about our qbs health.

Let lawrence play a season and get comfortable with, and experienced line, and receivers. He and every other player will be at risk of getting hurt on every down like every team in the league

Cam Robinson is on a one-year deal, Norwell is on a 2 year deal and getting old, Linder is on a 2 year deal and is getting old and is somewhat injury prone, AJ Cann is on a one year deal and is mediocre at best, and Jawaan Taylor is still trying to reach some potential.  I would invest a high pick or two in offensive linemen, even if they don't play this year.  A year in an NFL training program does wonders for a young offensive lineman.  Offensive linemen take time to develop.  I'd be building a pipeline now.  Don't wait until next year's draft to find some replacements.

(03-22-2021, 04:04 AM)Craigukjag Wrote: This is a sport you can’t play in fear, talk of not playing Trevor is ridiculous, eagles and cowboys have had two of the best lines over recent years hasn’t stopped there qbs getting injured. Even with the best lines you run the risk, qbs get hit every game it’s just part of it. Seattle and Texans have had horrible lines for years and there qbs are forever on the run but neither miss much game time, it all comes down to luck with injuries.

Too reasonable.  Not pessimistic enough.  Delete post.

(03-22-2021, 12:18 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1373...04903?s=19

Both Malik Hooker and Damontae Kazee are coming off torn Achilles. 

In addition to the Cowboys, the Lions have a FA visit scheduled with Kazee:

Lions to host free agent DB Damontae Kazee on a visit (usatoday.com)

Whether one or both Safeties will get favorable enough team medical reports, to get one or more contract offers that are acceptable to the player, is hard to predict.  Especially, because of the difficulty for a player to regain his pre-injury skills or at least come close, from this type of injury.

(03-22-2021, 05:52 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

Cam Robinson is on a one-year deal, Norwell is on a 2 year deal and getting old, Linder is on a 2 year deal and is getting old and is somewhat injury prone, AJ Cann is on a one year deal and is mediocre at best, and Jawaan Taylor is still trying to reach some potential.  I would invest a high pick or two in offensive linemen, even if they don't play this year.  A year in an NFL training program does wonders for a young offensive lineman.  Offensive linemen take time to develop.  I'd be building a pipeline now.  Don't wait until next year's draft to find some replacements.

Exactly right.

If you put off the O-line for a year, you run the risk of making matters worse.

Instead of a rookie T protecting TL, you could see multiple rookies protecting TL.

Drafting and grooming as you suggest would, at a minimum, improve the depth at OL.  Richardson has been a wash-though how much should we have expected from a 4th round pick?  Bartch is another 4th round pick who didn't get much PT and was shaky.  The only backup I have any real faith in is Shatley.

Hopefully, if we draft a couple of OL, they will at least be good enough to provide adequate competition for the starters.  Maybe they can upgrade those positions.  At least it will give the FO a one year audition for those positions, so they can decide whether to re-sign any of the guys that are up for new deals, let them walk and sign experienced free agents, or draft more to provide depth and competition.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(03-22-2021, 08:09 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-22-2021, 05:52 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Cam Robinson is on a one-year deal, Norwell is on a 2 year deal and getting old, Linder is on a 2 year deal and is getting old and is somewhat injury prone, AJ Cann is on a one year deal and is mediocre at best, and Jawaan Taylor is still trying to reach some potential.  I would invest a high pick or two in offensive linemen, even if they don't play this year.  A year in an NFL training program does wonders for a young offensive lineman.  Offensive linemen take time to develop.  I'd be building a pipeline now.  Don't wait until next year's draft to find some replacements.

Exactly right.

If you put off the O-line for a year, you run the risk of making matters worse.

Instead of a rookie T protecting TL, you could see multiple rookies protecting TL.

Drafting and grooming as you suggest would, at a minimum, improve the depth at OL.  Richardson has been a wash-though how much should we have expected from a 4th round pick?  Bartch is another 4th round pick who didn't get much PT and was shaky.  The only backup I have any real faith in is Shatley.

Hopefully, if we draft a couple of OL, they will at least be good enough to provide adequate competition for the starters.  Maybe they can upgrade those positions.  At least it will give the FO a one year audition for those positions, so they can decide whether to re-sign any of the guys that are up for new deals, let them walk and sign experienced free agents, or draft more to provide depth and competition.

Richardson played RT in college, but the team tried him at RG and then made him a swing tackle, which I knew didn't suit him. Some guys just can't make the conversion from the right side to the left, but most LT's can make the switch from left to right, fairly easily. With Cam being injured, Richardson had to play more on the left side and it really wasn't pretty. I'm never a fan of making a pure college RT into a swing tackle. IMO, swing Tackles should always either have experience in college playing both Tackle positions or exclusively LT. 

I'm hoping we draft an O-Linemen or two, but depending on the round, it might not help. We might be able to find RT competition in the 2nd or 3rd round. One guy I like a lot is Spencer Brown of Northern Iowa. He was exclusively a RT for the Panthers and was dominant. He had a fantastic Senior Bowl week and showed extremely good footwork and balance. He's very tall, so I wanted to see how stiff he played, but he did a really good job keeping low and getting under defenders' pads, stuffing them at the line. His quickness and strength really impressed me. 

As for the LT class, that's gonna be trickier. If we don't move up, we can pray Eichenberg is there at #25 or take Radunz at #33 or #45. I think a lot of people are sleeping on Eichenberg. I like this kid a lot, but he may be gone by #25. I like Radunz as well, but he's far from ready. He's more a developmental type that could take time to reach his potential. He started out shaky during Senior Bowl week, but got better as time went on. I wouldn't consider him a day 1 starter though. Maybe more of a year 2 starter at best. Once you get passed him, the LT class is pretty void. I am intrigued by D'ante Smith and Josh Ball, but again, they are pretty raw with high upside, so it may take longer than we need for them to develop and Ball in particular, might be better suited for the right side.

(This post was last modified: 03-22-2021, 09:01 PM by Upper.)

Eichenberg is a Bulaga clone. He's going to be an extremely steady second tier OT for a long long time. Would be perfectly happy with him at 25.

(03-22-2021, 08:39 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I am intrigued by D'ante Smith and Josh Ball, but again, they are pretty raw with high upside, so it may take longer than we need for them to develop and Ball in particular, might be better suited for the right side.

Add Little and Hudson to that list. It's a very good and deep tackle class.

Didn't see anyone post this. 4 year 12 mil extension

https://twitter.com/Jaguars/status/13733...10752?s=19

(03-22-2021, 09:33 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Didn't see anyone post this.  4 year 12 mil extension

Welp.. There goes my dream of drafting a punter in the 3rd round.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(03-22-2021, 08:59 PM)Upper Wrote: Eichenberg is a Bulaga clone. He's going to be an extremely steady second tier OT for a long long time. Would be perfectly happy with him at 25.

(03-22-2021, 08:39 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I am intrigued by D'ante Smith and Josh Ball, but again, they are pretty raw with high upside, so it may take longer than we need for them to develop and Ball in particular, might be better suited for the right side.

Add Little and Hudson to that list. It's a very good and deep tackle class.

I'm not a fan of either. Hudson got shoved around a lot during Senior Bowl week and especially in the game. I think he needs to move inside to OG. Little is like QB Trey Lance. He didn't stand out to me before and he got injured in 2019 and opted out in 2020. I just don't have a sample size since 2018 to put him high up on my board.

(03-22-2021, 09:38 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Little is like QB Trey Lance. He didn't stand out to me before and he got injured in 2019 and opted out in 2020. I just don't have a sample size since 2018 to put him high up on my board.

Granted I'm leaning on people who have seen him during this draft process (aren't we all), but he was much improved in his short college career, is a ridiculous blend of size and athlete, and the reports from everyone who has seen him this draft process use the word freakshow a lot. We could do a lot worse with a 2nd round pick.

https://twitter.com/PFF_Anthony/status/1...8832145408

Pass rushers are the weakest position in this draft imo

(03-22-2021, 09:38 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(03-22-2021, 09:33 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Didn't see anyone post this.  4 year 12 mil extension

Welp.. There goes my dream of drafting a punter in the 3rd round.

https://youtu.be/YVJzYy5hMQ8

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(03-22-2021, 09:52 PM)Upper Wrote:
(03-22-2021, 09:38 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Little is like QB Trey Lance. He didn't stand out to me before and he got injured in 2019 and opted out in 2020. I just don't have a sample size since 2018 to put him high up on my board.

Granted I'm leaning on people who have seen him during this draft process (aren't we all), but he was much improved in his short college career, is a ridiculous blend of size and athlete, and the reports from everyone who has seen him this draft process use the word freakshow a lot. We could do a lot worse with a 2nd round pick.

I'd be happy with Little at 45

(03-22-2021, 09:52 PM)Upper Wrote:

I'm not saying he would be a bad player. I'm just saying I wouldn't take a gamble with a first or second day pick on a guy that essentially has been out of football for the past 2 years. Maybe if he played in the Senior Bowl, I could get a better sense of where he was, but right now, he's a total enigma to me. Because of that, I wouldn't touch him until maybe, round 4 depending on who was still on the board.