Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags and Free Agency

Cmon Baalke, go get another one of your guys

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1374769535098753029?s=19

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I wish the 9ers would be dumb enough to swap their first for number 25 and minshew. Wishful thinking but would be cool

(03-24-2021, 11:20 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I wish the 9ers would be dumb enough to swap their first for number 25 and minshew. Wishful thinking but would be cool

We'd have to catch the GM on a really really drunk day for him to go back 13 spots for a backup QB lol. Would be nice though, but totally unrealistic.

(03-24-2021, 02:09 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: In other words they must assume Minshew is gone.

Never hurts to give yourself options.

If this dude turns out to be a camp arm, so be it. If he's the guy that takes Shew's spot on the roster, so be it. I don't want either one seeing any playing time this season, outside of killing clock in a Jags blowout win.

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2021, 08:27 AM by Mikey.)

(03-24-2021, 07:32 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(03-24-2021, 05:35 PM)mal234 Wrote: I don't think so. If anything I think it helps them with potentially trading him. I think it shows other teams that they could be more open to trading him, now that they have found another QB that they feel comfortable about being the backup. I could see them wanting to make sure they signed another QB before they traded Gardner. Plus, teams have already been asking about him, prior to them signing CJ.

This is where my thinking is just the opposite.  They've signed a QB that makes more money than Minshew, so they would have to think Beathard will be the backup.  Why not just wait for the Jags to cut Minshew now?  They're obviously not going to keep him as a 3rd QB.

I still say that Minshew's best attribute presently is his price tag. He's super cheap, and if a team needs a backup with experience without a big cap hit, he's a legitimate target for a trade. Had we waited until GM15 was traded to sign a backup, we may be stuck with Luton as the best option, and I dunno anybody who wants that. If we release him, teams have to rely on waiver rules to acquire him; I think the trade partners will be teams with an established veteran QB that is expected to start, and Minshew will be that developmental backup that they can affordably kick the tires for a year or so before deciding whether he's worth keeping around long term. Honestly, if we recouped the original pick, that's about as realistic as it is going to get. Is there really a big hit to our trade value here?

This is purely speculative, too, but maybe the coaches have seen things from Beathard that point to him being a better fit for the offensive plan that Minshew? Beathard was an Iowa guy, and maybe Doyle talked him up to Urbz, we know that he's demonstrated this offseason a firm trust in the recommendations of those in his circle over media hype.

(03-24-2021, 11:20 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I wish the 9ers would be dumb enough to swap their first for number 25 and minshew. Wishful thinking but would be cool

I believe the protocol is puff, puff, pass. Still waiting on the pass part, CJB.

(03-25-2021, 08:06 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-24-2021, 02:09 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: In other words they must assume Minshew is gone.

Never hurts to give yourself options.

If this dude turns out to be a camp arm, so be it. If he's the guy that takes Shew's spot on the roster, so be it. I don't want either one seeing any playing time this season, outside of killing clock in a Jags blowout win.

They'll have to play the last game of the season while we rest Trevor for his historical rookie playoff run and SB win

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2021, 09:45 AM by TheDuke007.)

(03-24-2021, 05:35 PM)mal234 Wrote: I don't think so. If anything I think it helps them with potentially trading him. I think it shows other teams that they could be more open to trading him, now that they have found another QB that they feel comfortable about being the backup. I could see them wanting to make sure they signed another QB before they traded Gardner. Plus, teams have already been asking about him, prior to them signing CJ.

This is where my thinking is just the opposite.  They've signed a QB that makes more money than Minshew, so they would have to think Beathard will be the backup.  Why not just wait for the Jags to cut Minshew now?  They're obviously not going to keep him as a 3rd QB.
I hear where you're coming from.  Maybe it would have helped a little to trade Minshew first.  However, keep in mind that without Minshew, Beathard also knows that we're desperate.  He might have held out for money.  Also, if Beathard was the only guy that interested Meyer, you risked him signing with some other team and leaving the Jaguars with Luton or someone else that they don't like.  There wasn't a guarantee he would sign here.

I also don't think Minshew has lost all trade value.  Why can't we keep him as a 3rd quarterback?  If we didn't get a decent pick, I would.  It's not as if he's taking up significant cap space.  If teams had interest, they will still have interest.  Even if cut, Minshew would go through the waiver wire.  Unless you are high on that list, you aren't likely to get him.  Also, when it comes to trades, teams aren't bidding so much against the Jaguars.  They are bidding against each other.  If a team wants him, they have to outbid all other teams.  If only one team is bidding on a player, then he's not going to have much trade value under any circumstance.  If the Jaguars can't get value now, I would wait.  They may get a better offer on draft day when a team hoping to draft a quarterback comes away empty.  They may also get a better offer during the pre-season or early into the regular season when injuries have occurred across the league.

According to the "points chart" posted on the internet, that's approximately the same value as the 49er's second round pick (#43 overall).  Yeah, they aren't giving up that much for Minshew.

Because more than one team wants him.

(03-25-2021, 09:51 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-24-2021, 07:32 PM)RicoTx Wrote: This is where my thinking is just the opposite.  They've signed a QB that makes more money than Minshew, so they would have to think Beathard will be the backup.  Why not just wait for the Jags to cut Minshew now?  They're obviously not going to keep him as a 3rd QB.

And the nature of FA, of course any QB signed will make more than Minshew right now. I view CJ right now as an insurance policy for Minshew. As it stands, Minshew would clearly be the best backup on this team, but he may ask for a trade himself. It's obvious to everyone that there is no "QB Competition" here, it's Trevor's team. If Minshew thinks he has a better opportunity to eventually start elsewhere, then it wouldn't surprise me if he asks for a trade. CJ signed knowing he'd be the backup, Minshew wants to start.

(03-25-2021, 09:51 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-24-2021, 07:32 PM)RicoTx Wrote: This is where my thinking is just the opposite.  They've signed a QB that makes more money than Minshew, so they would have to think Beathard will be the backup.  Why not just wait for the Jags to cut Minshew now?  They're obviously not going to keep him as a 3rd QB.

....and Minshew has 2 years left on a rookie salary.  The Jags could elect to keep him as a backup, and/or trade him later if desired.  I don't believe it would be a trade him now, and release him if a certain pick is not garnered.

(03-25-2021, 10:29 AM)ATLjag Wrote:
(03-25-2021, 09:51 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Because more than one team wants him.

....and Minshew has 2 years left on a rookie salary.  The Jags could elect to keep him as a backup, and/or trade him later if desired.  I don't believe it would be a trade him now, and release him if a certain pick is not garnered.

I think straight up releasing him is a horrible idea. Like you said, we have him very cheap for 2 more years. If we can't get compensation for him, you cut Bethard, not Minshew

I would like to sign Clowney for like 2 years. What do you guys think?

(03-25-2021, 10:49 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(03-25-2021, 10:29 AM)ATLjag Wrote: ....and Minshew has 2 years left on a rookie salary.  The Jags could elect to keep him as a backup, and/or trade him later if desired.  I don't believe it would be a trade him now, and release him if a certain pick is not garnered.

I think straight up releasing him is a horrible idea. Like you said, we have him very cheap for 2 more years. If we can't get compensation for him, you cut Bethard, not Minshew

So you sign Beathard to a two-year, $5 million contract and then cut him?  I can't see that happening.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-25-2021, 11:28 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(03-25-2021, 10:49 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I think straight up releasing him is a horrible idea. Like you said, we have him very cheap for 2 more years. If we can't get compensation for him, you cut Bethard, not Minshew

So you sign Beathard to a two-year, $5 million contract and then cut him?  I can't see that happening.

If it's all salary then there's no reason it couldn't.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Once a starting QB gets injured during training camp or preseason, then Minchew ‘s value will greatly increase.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Learn from the great collapse of 2023.  

(03-25-2021, 12:16 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-25-2021, 11:28 AM)RicoTx Wrote: So you sign Beathard to a two-year, $5 million contract and then cut him?  I can't see that happening.

If it's all salary then there's no reason it couldn't.

Right. It happens all the time. Players sign FA deals and then get cut before the season starts

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2021, 02:55 PM by ATLjag.)

(03-25-2021, 11:28 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(03-25-2021, 10:49 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I think straight up releasing him is a horrible idea. Like you said, we have him very cheap for 2 more years. If we can't get compensation for him, you cut Bethard, not Minshew

Of course not.  My thought is if you don't get what you want for Minshew in trade before the draft, at his minimal salary, you keep him on the roster with Beathard.  Put Luton on the practice squad.  Some team will get desparate for a QB at some point in camp or in the season, and Minshew will be good trade bait.

(03-25-2021, 02:55 PM)ATLjag Wrote:
(03-25-2021, 11:28 AM)RicoTx Wrote: So you sign Beathard to a two-year, $5 million contract and then cut him?  I can't see that happening.

Of course not.  My thought is if you don't get what you want for Minshew in trade before the draft, at his minimal salary, you keep him on the roster with Beathard.  Put Luton on the practice squad.  Some team will get desparate for a QB at some point in camp or in the season, and Minshew will be good trade bait.

I seriously doubt they keep three quarterbacks on the roster and another on the practice squad.  But that's just my opinion.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Gotsis is re-signed. I can't see Bryan be on the team next season. It's not like this changes it by itself but it just makes it even more obvious that the team is actively making sure a number of good run stuffers are on the roster. No room for Taven.

Minshew has already shown himself to be able to digest a playbook EXTREMELY quick (From ECU to Alabama to WSU). They could theoretically keep him until week 2 or 3 of the preseason to maximize his value before trading him. At the same time, that sub million salary for a guy with a season and a half's worth of starting experience is mighty nice.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn