Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Wilson > Lawrence

(03-29-2021, 06:38 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(03-29-2021, 06:31 PM)leopold332002 Wrote: To answer your question the reason why the national meal don't want to see Trevor Lawrence in Jacksonville is twofold. For one, that means they will have to actually cover a franchise that they don't respect and leads to two they want the city to fail because they I feel like we don't deserve an NFL team. The national media look at our city as Double AA city with a racist reputation. We are the poor kids that got accepted into a rich School and the rich kids she does like an outcast because of it. Bottom line is they don't want this team to succeed and if we was to lose it it would be one of the happiest days of the national media careers because of their disdain for our city

Cool story bro.

I remember when Vic was so liked around here.  Now because his opinion doesn't match what people want to hear he's "an idiot".

In fairness, I have had a healthy disdain for Ketchman for many years now.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-31-2021, 06:08 PM)D6 Wrote: Regarding Vic's answer to the Trevor Lawrence question, two thoughts for now:

1. Vic didn't mention his concern ( s ) about Trevor Lawrence as pick # 1 by the Jaguars.  Hopefully, he will be asked this question moving forward and that he will answer the question.

2.  Vic should know as well as anyone the importance of Trevor Lawrence for the Jacksonville Jaguars.  Well beyond just on the field. The risk of practically any option other than the Jaguars drafting Lawrence with pick # 1 seems too high.

This isn't the only time Vic has pontificated about the Jags trading the #1 pick for more picks. The fact that he's doubled down on this idiocy makes me wonder if he thinks it's his football acumen, or he has something up his butt about Jacksonville. I think it's the latter.

(03-31-2021, 09:44 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-31-2021, 06:08 PM)D6 Wrote: Regarding Vic's answer to the Trevor Lawrence question, two thoughts for now:

1. Vic didn't mention his concern ( s ) about Trevor Lawrence as pick # 1 by the Jaguars.  Hopefully, he will be asked this question moving forward and that he will answer the question.

2.  Vic should know as well as anyone the importance of Trevor Lawrence for the Jacksonville Jaguars.  Well beyond just on the field. The risk of practically any option other than the Jaguars drafting Lawrence with pick # 1 seems too high.

This isn't the only time Vic has pontificated about the Jags trading the #1 pick for more picks. The fact that he's doubled down on this idiocy makes me wonder if he thinks it's his football acumen, or he has something up his butt about Jacksonville. I think it's the latter.

Along with trading down, hence passing on Trevor Lawrence, what stands out in Vic's recent response is Vic mentioning the home town connection with Mac Jones. While Jones is a much better NFL QB prospect than Tim Tebow was, Vic saw and heard many people calling for the Jaguars to draft ( and later on trade for ) Tebow.  With an opportunity for the Jaguars to draft a QB prospect on the level of Trevor Lawrence , Vic brought back memories of the 'Tebow Mania' that he often was on the receiving end on.

Well, here's his answers. Not that it really matters, but I was just curious as to what his reasoning was. To me, it appears he wants Trevor in Carolina because he now lives is South Carolina. Maybe someone more charitable might want to interpret it. 

Richard from St. Augustine, FL
Always have loved your dry humor. Gotta think your comment about four ones for Trevor Lawrence was just that, because after about 25 years of reading, I have never seen you imply any player worth four ones. Will you come clean, regarding if you're serious?
I was being serious. Lawrence's value to Carolina is immense. His Clemson roots would give the Panthers a presence in South Carolina they've never enjoyed. Lawrence would truly make the Panthers a two-states regional franchise.

[font=Aller]John from Jacksonville, FL[/font]
[font=Aller]You've made it abundantly clear Jacksonville should not draft Trevor Lawrence. Why?[/font]
Lawrence is the logical first pick of the draft. I get it. So why would I consider trading the pick? It's because Lawrence is so coveted he could deliver a treasure trove of picks in a trade the Jags could use to build a dominant roster, and I attach more value to that than I do to a quarterback in what appears to be a deep crop of them. Sam Howell and Spencer Rattler will be next year's stars. I get the sense we're headed for a long run of talent at quarterback. Spread offenses nearly guarantee it.

(03-31-2021, 08:25 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-31-2021, 08:10 AM)Mikey Wrote: I don't think it's disdain for the team or town. I think he is very critical of the fanbase. Look at his other two career stops. Also small markets, but historically known for supporting their teams, win or lose. Vic has spent 25 years listening to Jags fans collectively whining about whatever the gripe of the season may be. He had to field all the calls for the team to take Tebow not because he was so talented, but because he was the hometown hero. (Sound familiar with his take on Mac?) I think our fanbase's thin skin has also been a favorite of his to agitate. More than anything, I think he has not been a fan of Khan and his leadership of the team. A lot of the window dressing will make the front page of the paper when it is unveiled, but until you make the franchise a winner, the team will struggle to keep its footing in this small market. I haven't been able to gauge his outlook on Urbz yet, but he definitely hasn't gone out of his way to praise the hire.

I don't agree with his sentiment, but it also gets you thinking - if your evaluation says that the ceiling for Tlaw, Wilson, and/or Fields are the same, would you rather have one of those guys, or one of those guys and two or three more first rounders? At some point, though, having a stockpile of picks is enough - pick someone, and start building.

I can't help but believe that if Green Bay had dibs on TL, Vic would be singing his praises from on high and how he would be taking the Packers to the promised land. 

The hometown angle on Mac is a wash. Outside of his own family, is there anyone who would rather have him than TL? IMHO, Wilson is the only one who approaches TL's total package, and he's not as tried and true. 

I don't know. It's just my impression Vic would love to see Jacksonville trade away TL only for him to achieve greatness with some other team. Then Vic could criticize us for passing on the QB of the century.

well he came clean in today's column, and it sounds like he sees the appeal more to CAR darfting TL than us getting Mac.

I get that he believes that CAR would probably overpay for the privelege, especially considering the hometown/nearby market appeal, but just because this class is deep and he thinks that good QBs are yet to come in future years, I can't see passing on the top QB of this class. We would likely have to trade away at least two of the firsts we would get in that deal even to get one of the top 4 QB, wince CAR is so low in the order.

Cripes, NYJ have 4 firsts over the next two darfts and I dunno that I would take the same offer from them, and that trade guarantees us anyone other than TLaw, likely. Wilson might be good, but eventually you end up with a saturation of picks. He's right that when you are cap strapped the draft is how you mend your fence, but the Jags are not cap strapped, and frankly the franchise doesn't have the luxury of patience. You can wheel and deal like that if you have "the man" in place. We first have to get the man. I don't like waiting till 8 to try.

(03-31-2021, 06:49 PM)D6 Wrote:
(03-31-2021, 06:42 PM)Bullseye Wrote: It's interesting that as much as Ketchman seemed to want the Jaguars to emulate the Steelers, he doesn't want the team to benefit from having the top overall pick the way the Steelers did in selecting Bradshaw.

Vic's answer to the question makes practically no sense.  Including what you mentioned regarding Terry Bradshaw, Vic's take appears like the polar opposite of how he would have answered a question like this in past years.

I have no idea what the 1971? 72? darft looked like, was there a glut of QB? I think the entirety of his argument is that it's not Tlaw at 1 and then a gradual decline as you get down into 6, 7, 8 range - it's that you have TLaw at 1, and then 6 or so viable QB who may be ranked 2 or 3, or even 1b. I don't agree with that, and I think we have settled on QB way too long as a franchise. We have the opportunity to take our pick, let's do it. 7 first rounders won't mean a thing if we settle for a flawed QB that doesn't pan out, a la Gabbert, Bort, Lefty.

(04-01-2021, 08:22 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-31-2021, 08:25 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I can't help but believe that if Green Bay had dibs on TL, Vic would be singing his praises from on high and how he would be taking the Packers to the promised land. 

The hometown angle on Mac is a wash. Outside of his own family, is there anyone who would rather have him than TL? IMHO, Wilson is the only one who approaches TL's total package, and he's not as tried and true. 

I don't know. It's just my impression Vic would love to see Jacksonville trade away TL only for him to achieve greatness with some other team. Then Vic could criticize us for passing on the QB of the century.

well he came clean in today's column, and it sounds like he sees the appeal more to CAR darfting TL than us getting Mac.

I get that he believes that CAR would probably overpay for the privelege, especially considering the hometown/nearby market appeal, but just because this class is deep and he thinks that good QBs are yet to come in future years, I can't see passing on the top QB of this class. We would likely have to trade away at least two of the firsts we would get in that deal even to get one of the top 4 QB, wince CAR is so low in the order.

Cripes, NYJ have 4 firsts over the next two darfts and I dunno that I would take the same offer from them, and that trade guarantees us anyone other than TLaw, likely. Wilson might be good, but eventually you end up with a saturation of picks. He's right that when you are cap strapped the draft is how you mend your fence, but the Jags are not cap strapped, and frankly the franchise doesn't have the luxury of patience. You can wheel and deal like that if you have "the man" in place. We first have to get the man. I don't like waiting till 8 to try.

Can you provide a link to this nonsense?

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2021, 08:31 AM by homebiscuit.)

He becomes sarcastic if you disagree with him. 

Jimmy from Vero Beach, FL
Vic, I'm wondering if you've had a change in philosophy because you feel it's never been easier to play QB in the NFL, or if you dislike something in Lawrence's game. Having "The Man" seems like the most important factor in long-term success. Also, no team has 100 percent success rate in picking the right players. The Jaguars have been especially bad at it. Even if we hit on all four, having four good players vs. a great QB doesn't seem like an even trade.
OK, I surrender. Lawrence must be the pick.

(04-01-2021, 08:30 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-01-2021, 08:22 AM)Mikey Wrote: well he came clean in today's column, and it sounds like he sees the appeal more to CAR darfting TL than us getting Mac.

Ask Vic - Blog

(03-31-2021, 09:44 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:

Don't forget where he lives now. I got to wonder if he hears a lot of folks saying they'd make the trip to Charlotte if only Tepper could get the golden boy. 

Cincy got a local kid, I'd be interested to see what their tix sales look like post-pandemic. I'd especially like to know how many folks are making the trek across US 50/32 from Chauncey or Lancaster to see the hometown kid.

(04-01-2021, 08:38 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-31-2021, 09:44 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: This isn't the only time Vic has pontificated about the Jags trading the #1 pick for more picks. The fact that he's doubled down on this idiocy makes me wonder if he thinks it's his football acumen, or he has something up his butt about Jacksonville. I think it's the latter.

Don't forget where he lives now. I got to wonder if he hears a lot of folks saying they'd make the trip to Charlotte if only Tepper could get the golden boy. 

Cincy got a local kid, I'd be interested to see what their tix sales look like post-pandemic. I'd especially like to know how many folks are making the trek across US 50/32 from Chauncey or Lancaster to see the hometown kid.

Which is what I implied in my post above. This is why I believe Vic’s answers are self-serving. He holds Jacksonville in contempt. 

Out of one corner of his mouth he talks about what a harvest of picks we could get for him. Out of the other he speaks of what a treasure TL would be for the state he now resides in.

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2021, 08:50 AM by Mikey.)

(04-01-2021, 08:21 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Well, here's his answers. Not that it really matters, but I was just curious as to what his reasoning was. To me, it appears he wants Trevor in Carolina because he now lives is South Carolina. Maybe someone more charitable might want to interpret it. 

Richard from St. Augustine, FL
Always have loved your dry humor. Gotta think your comment about four ones for Trevor Lawrence was just that, because after about 25 years of reading, I have never seen you imply any player worth four ones. Will you come clean, regarding if you're serious?
I was being serious. Lawrence's value to Carolina is immense. His Clemson roots would give the Panthers a presence in South Carolina they've never enjoyed. Lawrence would truly make the Panthers a two-states regional franchise.

[font=Aller]John from Jacksonville, FL[/font]
[font=Aller]You've made it abundantly clear Jacksonville should not draft Trevor Lawrence. Why?[/font]
Lawrence is the logical first pick of the draft. I get it. So why would I consider trading the pick? It's because Lawrence is so coveted he could deliver a treasure trove of picks in a trade the Jags could use to build a dominant roster, and I attach more value to that than I do to a quarterback in what appears to be a deep crop of them. Sam Howell and Spencer Rattler will be next year's stars. I get the sense we're headed for a long run of talent at quarterback. Spread offenses nearly guarantee it.

how dominant is the roster going to be if we either still don't have a QB, or have to use half the picks we just traded for to move back into a spot to get one of the top QB?

There is a very real possibility that TLaw, Wilson, Mac are gone by 4. ATL is a wildcard, they may go Fields or Lance. CIN, MIA and DET are likely not taking a QB, so best case scenario at 8 is that you have your choice of both Lance and Fields, otherwise you have one of them and Trask as the only other options. In no universe do I see any of those 3 on the same level as Tlaw or Wilson, no matter how easy Vic thinks it is to play QB in this league.

I'm not the biggest CFB fan, but I couldn't tell if those were actual players he named or a few characters from some off-brand football game sold in the 90's

(04-01-2021, 08:30 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-01-2021, 08:22 AM)Mikey Wrote: well he came clean in today's column, and it sounds like he sees the appeal more to CAR darfting TL than us getting Mac.

copied and pasted above, but askvic.us

(04-01-2021, 08:30 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-31-2021, 06:49 PM)D6 Wrote: Vic's answer to the question makes practically no sense.  Including what you mentioned regarding Terry Bradshaw, Vic's take appears like the polar opposite of how he would have answered a question like this in past years.

I have no idea what the 1971? 72? darft looked like, was there a glut of QB? I think the entirety of his argument is that it's not Tlaw at 1 and then a gradual decline as you get down into 6, 7, 8 range - it's that you have TLaw at 1, and then 6 or so viable QB who may be ranked 2 or 3, or even 1b. I don't agree with that, and I think we have settled on QB way too long as a franchise. We have the opportunity to take our pick, let's do it. 7 first rounders won't mean a thing if we settle for a flawed QB that doesn't pan out, a la Gabbert, Bort, Lefty.

Steelers won the coin flip with the Bears for the #1 overall.
QB Mike Phipps of Purdue was the Zac Wilson of that draft.

Steelers select Bradshaw and go on to become a dynasty.  While the Bears went on to 15 years of losing.
Bears traded down with Green Bay and Green Bay selected DT Mike McCoy.

Cleveland Browns traded up with the Dolphins to grab Zac ... Mike Phipps at #3. They sent All Pro WR Paul Warfield to the Dolphins to help establish that Dolphins dynasty.

Phipps was a bust in Cleveland but Bears were still in love with him so traded a #1 pick for Phipps 7 years later.  That #1 turned out to be Ozzie Newsome.
Phipps lasted a couple years before Ditka came in and cleaned house and got rid of losing culture players like Phipps.

(04-01-2021, 08:30 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: He becomes sarcastic if you disagree with him. 

Vic, I'm wondering if you've had a change in philosophy because you feel it's never been easier to play QB in the NFL, or if you dislike something in Lawrence's game. Having "The Man" seems like the most important factor in long-term success. Also, no team has 100 percent success rate in picking the right players. The Jaguars have been especially bad at it. Even if we hit on all four, having four good players vs. a great QB doesn't seem like an even trade.

(04-01-2021, 08:30 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Can you provide a link to this nonsense?

Ask Vic - Blog

Egads!

His logic is more horrific than I imagined!

Lawrence making Carolina a truly regional team?

Who the [BLEEP] cares?!?

We have zero obligation to help make Carolina a regional team. 

Revenue sharing is how teams help each other.  Beyond that, the Jaguars have no obligation to help any other team.

Truth be told, this team has been way too helpful to other teams over the years.

The Jaguars helped the Patriots by passing on Brady in 2000.

The Jaguars helped his Steelers by passing on Big Ben in 2004.

The Jaguars helped his Packers by passing on Rodgers in 2005.

The Jaguars helped the Saints by not pursuing Drew Brees in 2006.

The Jaguars helped Seattle by passing on Russell Wilson for a punter in 2012.

The Jaguars helped the Chiefs by passing on Patrick Mahomes in 2017, and helped the Texans by passing on DeShaun Watson the same year.

Now he wants us to trade away Lawrence to help Carolina become a regional team?

Screw Carolina and Screw Ketchman!

LOL... Only the Jaguars would you consider them making the colossal mistake of passing up on a generational player. Myer didn't even attend Wilson's pro day. But really, why would any fan even consider this a viable option? Must be a tack fan incognito
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(04-01-2021, 09:40 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-01-2021, 08:30 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: He becomes sarcastic if you disagree with him. 

Ask Vic - Blog

Egads!

Who the [BLEEP] cares?!?

Revenue sharing is how teams help each other.  Beyond that, the Jaguars have no obligation to help any other team.

Truth be told, this team has been way too helpful to other teams over the years.

The Jaguars helped the Chiefs by passing on Patrick Mahomes in 2017, and helped the Texans by passing on DeShaun Watson the same year.

Fun fact: Vic Ketchman now lives in South Carolina. 

Things that make you go “hmmmm”.

I really think you all are giving Vic too much crap about this. During the off season you have to ponder all the things to make these Q&A columns stay fresh.
Someone else brought up the scenario a few Ask Vic's ago about "what it would take"... Vic is spit balling what it would take and why it would be good for each franchise.
Trevor absolutely would give Carolina an extended fanbase (similar to the way people linked Trevor's hometown just north of Jville as him being "hometown" enough to draw that too)
4 firsts (or some blockbuster type trade) would absolutely give Jacksonville so much draft equity that even the worst GMs probably couldn't screw it up too bad. (well.... most)
And I said long ago and will keep saying it, Trevor Lawrence might be as close to a legit thing as possible, but no one knows until the Sunday games start... so he could in theory still flame out or not end up as good as another QB in this draft. And with the game evolving the way it is, QB is becoming an easier position to play and transition from college to the NFL. There are no sure things in the NFL at any position.

Will we trade the pick? No. Should we? No. Is Vic pounding the table for the Jags to do it? I don't get that sense and yeah, Vic has always been a lil snarky when people write his column and try to push back on his ideas and views... he's been that way since way back so that's nothing new.

I don't get all the hub bub about his column... It's one guy and his views and opinions (and sometimes his really great insight and historical stories). Not much different than Ozone or a number of other blogs (except markedly better imo).
Let's unwad the panties y'all.

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2021, 10:04 AM by Bullseye.)

(04-01-2021, 09:47 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(04-01-2021, 09:40 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Egads!

Who the [BLEEP] cares?!?

Fun fact: Vic Ketchman now lives in South Carolina. 

Things that make you go “hmmmm”.

I remember he moved there, and it's absolutely shameful that it has given him an agenda on matters pertaining to Jacksonville.

He says there are QBs that come out every year now.

Well let Carolina get their own guy.

They had a 1-15 season and got a QB before in Cam Newton.

Let them do it again.

(04-01-2021, 09:46 AM)Ronster Wrote: LOL... Only the Jaguars would you consider them making the colossal mistake of passing up on a generational player. Myer didn't even attend Wilson's pro day. But really, why would any fan even consider this a viable option? Must be a tack fan incognito

Well they wouldn't need any of them if we still had the Super Bowl MVP...right?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2021, 10:56 AM by Bullseye.)

(04-01-2021, 09:58 AM)Kane Wrote: I really think you all are giving Vic too much crap about this. During the off season you have to ponder all the things to make these Q&A columns stay fresh.
Someone else brought up the scenario a few Ask Vic's ago about "what it would take"... Vic is spit balling what it would take and why it would be good for each franchise.
Trevor absolutely would give Carolina an extended fanbase (similar to the way people linked Trevor's hometown just north of Jville as him being "hometown" enough to draw that too)
4 firsts (or some blockbuster type trade) would absolutely give Jacksonville so much draft equity that even the worst GMs probably couldn't screw it up too bad. (well.... most)
And I said long ago and will keep saying it, Trevor Lawrence might be as close to a legit thing as possible, but no one knows until the Sunday games start... so he could in theory still flame out or not end up as good as another QB in this draft. And with the game evolving the way it is, QB is becoming an easier position to play and transition from college to the NFL. There are no sure things in the NFL at any position.

Will we trade the pick? No. Should we? No. Is Vic pounding the table for the Jags to do it? I don't get that sense and yeah, Vic has always been a lil snarky when people write his column and try to push back on his ideas and views... he's been that way since way back so that's nothing new.

I don't get all the hub bub about his column... It's one guy and his views and opinions (and sometimes his really great insight and historical stories). Not much different than Ozone or a number of other blogs (except markedly better imo).
Let's unwad the panties y'all.
Dude,

Ketchman put his views out for public consumption.

Just like in a traditional marketplace, when a producer introduces an inferior product, the consumers will push back in one manner or another, so it is in the marketplace of ideas.  If he puts out an inferior product-in this case ridiculous ideas-he should expect some negative push back.

He spent YEARS lamenting and wagging his finger at the state of the Jaguars fanbase, and now he advocates trading away the one player at the one position that could rejuvenate the franchise and the fanbase...to a rival franchise at that to bolster their fanbase?!?

He spent years telling us tacitly and expressly how the Jaguars should emulate the Steelers, yet when we have the chance to get our Bradshaw in the same manner the Steelers landed Bradshaw, he wants us to pass?!?

He spent years telling us that BAP drafting is the way to go because to do otherwise would enable superior talent to go to competing teams.  Now, he calls Lawrence "the logical choice" to be the #1 overall pick for Jacksonville, which indicates at least tacit acknowledgement of his talent level.  So it's not that he thinks that Lawrence isn't good.  So if Lawrence is good enough to be the logical #1 pick...and good enough to make Carolina a two state team, why in the blue hell would we trade him away?!?

I don't want to hear anything about multiple draft choices, either.  If Lawrence is as good as everyone thinks, it wouldn't be long until Carolina is a contender, which means those first round picks would likely be LOW first round picks.  Remember how disappointed we were when the Rams made the playoffs last season?  We were disappointed because the first round pick we got in exchange for Ramsey wouldn't be as high as we thought, which would make it harder for us to trade up and get a guy like Pitts.  What do you think would happen to those picks if we traded Lawrence to Carolina and he led them to championship contention?  It would be the football equivalent of the Indians selling Manhattan to the colonists for a quarter.

His argument about QBs being produced every year is equally laughable.  He mentions Spencer Rattler and some other guy as likely the top QB candidates next year.  Have any of you heard either of these QBs desribed as a generational QB prospect the way Lawrence has been described?  Have either of these guys been compared to Elway, Luck or Manning by respected draft experts like Lawrence has?!?  If franchise QBs now grow on trees on an annual basis, why would Carolina trade four first round picks to get this one?!?  They could simply draft Jones, or in a worst case scenario, wait until next year and pick one off the QB tree.

Fulfilling the duty to make his column fresh in the offseason does not obligate him to promulgate stupid and self contradictory ideas, nor should it insulate him from well deserve criticism for doing so.

Having this Quarterback available to the Jaguars is freaking amazing. That kid is going to be a rock star. Minshew who? Bortles who? Thank you JETS for allowing the Jags to get this guy. lol...
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"