Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Trevor Lawrence Thread

(04-09-2021, 10:32 PM)Dimson Wrote: Jag fans giving Trevor money for his wedding

What? This guy is going to be a multi millionaire in a few days. I heard he also comes from money as well. I never understood why average people would give money to the rich?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Last year had to be the most exciting 1-15 record in quite some time.

We had the opening day surprise win over the Colts and the pleasant surprise of James Robinson.

I know I was absolutely devastated by the Jets last second loss to the Raiders. I though that was our last, best chance to catch the Jets for the top spot. Then there was the jubilation that came from the Jets beating the Rams and Browns. Then , it'll probably be the last two games Jaguars fans wanted their team to lose in quite some time. The Jaguars did their parts and lost. Watching the Jets fans have a fit over this turn of events was funny. Watching the media melt down about Jacksonville landing TLaw was satisfying.

Now for the most anticipated 19 days in Jaguars history since before this team's first game.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(04-09-2021, 10:39 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-09-2021, 10:32 PM)Dimson Wrote: Jag fans giving Trevor money for his wedding

What? This guy is going to be a multi millionaire in a few days. I heard he also comes from money as well. I never understood why average people would give money to the rich?

Fans are excited and want him to feel welcomed. They don't care how rich he is or how wealthy he is going to be. Fans are just excited and they are showing that by giving him money for his wedding.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(04-09-2021, 10:39 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

I kinda blame local media for this one.

Nobody needed to see his wedding registry.

I see nothing wrong with fans expressing well wishes....or buying them gifts for that matter.

My hope is that this somehow does not translate into violating their privacy or thinking TL is somehow obligated to them.

(04-09-2021, 10:48 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-09-2021, 10:39 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: What? This guy is going to be a multi millionaire in a few days. I heard he also comes from money as well. I never understood why average people would give money to the rich?

I kinda blame local media for this one.

I see nothing wrong with fans expressing well wishes....or buying them gifts for that matter.

My hope is that this somehow does not translate into violating their privacy or thinking TL is somehow obligated to them.

That is inevitable. Nobody does anything for free. A lot of fans believe players have an obligation to them, even if they don't buy them a toaster oven as a wedding gift. LOL.

(04-09-2021, 10:52 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-09-2021, 10:48 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I kinda blame local media for this one.

That is inevitable. Nobody does anything for free. A lot of fans believe players have an obligation to them, even if they don't buy them a toaster oven as a wedding gift. LOL.

Exactly.

Pro athletes are public figures...not public property.  I just hope nobody crosses that line.

I've already pretty much given up on cautioning against putting unrealistic expectations on him.  The excitement over this kid has such a huge momentum.

(04-09-2021, 11:21 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-09-2021, 10:52 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: That is inevitable. Nobody does anything for free. A lot of fans believe players have an obligation to them, even if they don't buy them a toaster oven as a wedding gift. LOL.

Exactly.

Pro athletes are public figures...not public property.  I just hope nobody crosses that line.

I've already pretty much given up on cautioning against putting unrealistic expectations on him.  The excitement over this kid has such a huge momentum.

Agreed. I've heard some people actually say he would be a disappointment if he couldn't better the numbers Justin Herbert put up last year. That's crazy! Herbert had an exceptional season. It's almost unheard of to have a rookie throw 31 TD's and over 4000 yards. I'll be very pleased if Lawrence reaches 24 passing TD's in 2021. That would be the second most in a season in team history. I also believe that is a realistic goal. As long as I see him progressing as the season goes on, that's all we should ask. The numbers are secondary.

(04-09-2021, 11:51 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-09-2021, 11:21 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Exactly.

Agreed. I've heard some people actually say he would be a disappointment if he couldn't better the numbers Justin Herbert put up last year. That's crazy! Herbert had an exceptional season. It's almost unheard of to have a rookie throw 31 TD's and over 4000 yards. I'll be very pleased if Lawrence reaches 24 passing TD's in 2021. That would be the second most in a season in team history. I also believe that is a realistic goal. As long as I see him progressing as the season goes on, that's all we should ask. The numbers are secondary.
Herbert had more help on both sides of the ball than TL looks to have going into this year.  That helped his numbers.

(04-10-2021, 01:08 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-09-2021, 11:51 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Agreed. I've heard some people actually say he would be a disappointment if he couldn't better the numbers Justin Herbert put up last year. That's crazy! Herbert had an exceptional season. It's almost unheard of to have a rookie throw 31 TD's and over 4000 yards. I'll be very pleased if Lawrence reaches 24 passing TD's in 2021. That would be the second most in a season in team history. I also believe that is a realistic goal. As long as I see him progressing as the season goes on, that's all we should ask. The numbers are secondary.
Herbert had more help on both sides of the ball than TL looks to have going into this year.  That helped his numbers.

It also helped they were playing behind a lot so he had to air it out.

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2021, 11:49 PM by Bullseye.)

A telling quote in the latest Peter King article...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...eter-king/

"“I have never seen quarterbacks get pushed up in the draft the way they’re getting pushed up this year,” said one middle-aged coach whose team is in the market to draft a quarterback this year. “Trevor Lawrence deserves to be the number one pick, but after that, in my book, there’s three receivers, a tight end and two offensive tackles ahead of the next quarterback. But this desperation for quarterbacks . . .”

Interestingly, a tweet from the same article...

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/137806391...er-king%2F

(04-11-2021, 03:41 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(04-10-2021, 01:08 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Herbert had more help on both sides of the ball than TL looks to have going into this year.  That helped his numbers.

It also helped they were playing behind a lot so he had to air it out.

Yes, but it speaks well for him that he was able to perform well under those circumstances.  It can cut both ways.

Whether we are behind a lot or not, I can only hope that TL performs at that level his rookie year.

Our boy got married yesterday... I’m so proud like he’s my own blood lol

Laughing
(04-12-2021, 02:09 AM)Black and Teal Wrote: Our boy got married yesterday... I’m so proud like he’s my own blood lol

(04-11-2021, 11:47 PM)Bullseye Wrote: A telling quote in the latest Peter King article...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...eter-king/

"“I have never seen quarterbacks get pushed up in the draft the way they’re getting pushed up this year,” said one middle-aged coach whose team is in the market to draft a quarterback this year. “Trevor Lawrence deserves to be the number one pick, but after that, in my book, there’s three receivers, a tight end and two offensive tackles ahead of the next quarterback. But this desperation for quarterbacks . . .”

Interestingly, a tweet from the same article...

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/137806391...er-king%2F

(04-11-2021, 03:41 PM)Dimson Wrote: It also helped they were playing behind a lot so he had to air it out.

Yes, but it speaks well for him that he was able to perform well under those circumstances.  It can cut both ways.

Whether we are behind a lot or not, I can only hope that TL performs at that level his rookie year.

Obviously those percentages came when the QB has a clean pocket. When pressured, Fields never made it past the first read (which always seemed to be Chris Olave). He either took the sack or started running. He needs a completely clean pocket to succeed. When he was pressured, (which wasn't a lot at OSU), he fell apart. He has no pocket presence.

[Image: 172695245_4077230435668595_8399261841673...e=60987F15]

Did they say so? I only see them attempting to help Fields.

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2021, 04:03 PM by Black and Teal.)

(04-12-2021, 01:57 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: Did they say so? I only see them attempting to help Fields.

Does feel that way doesn’t it?

Tonight's Path to the Draft show raised the issue of the Jaguars providing the playbook to Trevor Lawrence. The discussion evolved into how the Jaguars would handle his development.

One of the talking heads said that they should give him things he likes to do, like get rid of the ball quickly.

Another guy (Charles Davis?) opined the Jaguars should work to get him a TE (though he incorrectly asserted Tyler Eifert was still on the team).

But Bucky Brooks offered the most interesting, and perhaps controversial theory. He stated that based on the history of Darrell bevell developing Russell Wilson, will start him off as a game manager, placing a heavy emphasis on the running game to not put too much on his shoulders too soon.

So what do you think? Should the Jaguars limit Trevor Lawrence to a game manager early on, or should they not be afraid to open things up from the jump?

I have a feeling I know how this quick poll would go, but I would love to read your responses to this.

I actually like the Brooks approach of making him a game manager early on.

Not only do I not want to risk overloading him early, I want the OL to be completely comfortable with the protections, and I want to give him help on the ground.

(04-12-2021, 08:34 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Tonight's Path to the Draft show raised the issue of the Jaguars providing the playbook to Trevor Lawrence.  The discussion evolved into how the Jaguars would handle his development.

One of the talking heads said that they should give him things he likes to do, like get rid of the ball quickly.

Another guy (Charles Davis?) opined the Jaguars should work to get him a TE (though he incorrectly asserted Tyler Eifert was still on the team).

But Bucky Brooks offered the most interesting, and perhaps controversial theory.  He stated that based on the history of Darrell bevell developing Russell Wilson, will start him off as a game manager, placing a heavy emphasis on the running game to not put too much on his shoulders too soon.

So what do you think?  Should the Jaguars limit Trevor Lawrence to a game manager early on, or should they not be afraid to open things up from the jump?

I have a feeling I know how this quick poll would go, but I would love to read your responses to this.

I actually like the Brooks approach of making him a game manager early on.

Not only do I not want to risk overloading him early, I want the OL to be completely comfortable with the protections, and I want to give him help on the ground.

One thing I will say is that I have a lot more confidence in the psyche of TLaw than I did for Bortles or Gabbert. I think if we do throw him to the wolves, he will not wilt under the pressure.

Early on, we probably will see a lot less risk, at least until he is comfortable recognizing defenses, learning the plays enough to find an audible that counters, and can take advantage of a mismatch. We are fortunate to have a very capable RB in JRob, so I could see them leaning on him early while TLaw acclimates. It may just be a debate of semantics, but when I think "game manager", I think of dinks and dunks, and nothing but safe passes interspersed among a heavy dose of run game.

I don't see that being our offense. I think play action will be important, and Chuck D is right, we are going to need a reliable TE to make that work. We have outside guys capable of stretching and spreading the field, and a QB whose arm is not the limitation (as is usually the case with so-called game managers). The worst thing we could do is limit Tlaw - if he sees an opportunity, take it. Chuck it downfield once in a while. You don't force an artist to paint by number; we shouldn't be squeezing a developing talent into a constrained box for fear of him making an error.

That may be the most refreshing thing - I don't think a sack or sneaky interception is going to break Trevor. With the last few guys, that absolutely is what happened, and then we coached them right into those boxes. There may be a leash early, but it will have a very long leader.

(This post was last modified: 04-13-2021, 09:32 AM by CanDoBetter.)

I don't know myself what's the best way but I really hope everyone understands that it's Lawrence's long term development that is central. I don't care if there are a couple of extra L's this season if it means a Lombardi in a couple of years.

What I don't want is the coaching staff giving him more than he can handle and breaking him. The risk may be less than with other prospects but things happen.

(04-13-2021, 09:31 AM)CanDoBetter Wrote: I don't know myself what's the best way but I really hope everyone understands that it's Lawrence's long term development that is central. I don't care if there are a couple of extra L's this season if it means a Lombardi in a couple of years.

What I don't want is the coaching staff giving him more than he can handle and breaking him.  The risk may be less than with other prospects but things happen.
If giving him a little too much now breaks him, then he wasn't the dude to begin with.

With that said, Lawrence has had immense pressure since high school. He has handled every turn with poise and a calmness that we truly haven't seen from a prospect. Wilson and Mac Jones have never really had to handle pressure like that which is why the transition for Lawrence should be more seamless. He actually may have less pressure on him in Jacksonville than he did in Clemson.