Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Travis Etienne - Rd1, Pick 25

(This post was last modified: 05-09-2021, 04:54 AM by The Real Marty.)

(05-08-2021, 08:08 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(05-08-2021, 06:43 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: WHo is to say he will be a 3rd down back?  He could flat out beat out Robinson for the starting role.  I think ETN will be on the field much more than just 3rd down anyway.

I don't think he has the frame to have 20 touches a game. He's a 200 lb speed back, not a bell cow #1.

He is 5'10", 215 lbs.   James Robinson is 5'9", 219 lbs.  Not that much difference. 

In the 2020 season, Etienne averaged 20 touches per game, rushing and receiving.  

I think he and Robinson will share the load.   Robinson will have more rushing attempts, while Etienne will have more pass receptions.   I also think the days of the so-called bell cow back are gone.  It's a 17 game season now.  Teams need more than one starting quality running back.

James Robinson had 240 rushing attempts last year.  The next most was Ogunbowale with 32.   Think of the load JRob would have had to carry if we had been leading in more games, and had to salt the game away running the ball.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-09-2021, 04:40 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(05-08-2021, 08:08 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I don't think he has the frame to have 20 touches a game. He's a 200 lb speed back, not a bell cow #1.

He is 5'10", 215 lbs.   James Robinson is 5'9", 219 lbs.  Not that much difference. 

In the 2020 season, Etienne averaged 20 touches per game, rushing and receiving.  

I think he and Robinson will share the load.   Robinson will have more rushing attempts, while Etienne will have more pass receptions.   I also think the days of the so-called bell cow back are gone.  It's a 17 game season now.  Teams need more than one starting quality running back.

James Robinson had 240 rushing attempts last year.  The next most was Ogunbowale with 32.   Think of the load JRob would have had to carry if we had been leading in more games, and had to salt the game away running the ball.

He put on weight to be 215 if that's what he really was, he wasn't nearly that heavy last season. I agreed that we needed a better complimentary back to go with JRob, but those numbers last year were just another season where the Regime couldn't figure out that more than one guy was allowed to touch the ball. But what you said there is right, ETN is definitely a pass catching back, and a very costly one at that. Let's hope this group is better able to disguise the plays when he's on the field else we just got ourselves another Chris Thompson in exchange for a 1st round pick.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

It’s about to be 18 games a year in the near future..

(05-08-2021, 08:08 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(05-08-2021, 06:43 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: WHo is to say he will be a 3rd down back?  He could flat out beat out Robinson for the starting role.  I think ETN will be on the field much more than just 3rd down anyway.

I don't think he has the frame to have 20 touches a game. He's a 200 lb speed back, not a bell cow #1.

He'll actually be playing about the same size as Robinson but a bit faster. The RB competition may be more interesting than we think. I think Robinson will end up being the opening day starter but UM didn't draft Etienne to sit on the bench for any significant amount of time.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(05-09-2021, 04:40 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:  I also think the days of the so-called bell cow back are gone.  It's a 17 game season now.  Teams need more than one starting quality running back.

You just made the argument for why Etienne was a bad pick. A first rounder on a guy who is unlikely to ever be more than a committee player is just ridiculous. We could have gotten Gainwell or Carter in the 5th and had our part time complement to Jrob and been WAY better off.

(05-09-2021, 02:47 PM)Upper Wrote:
(05-09-2021, 04:40 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:  I also think the days of the so-called bell cow back are gone.  It's a 17 game season now.  Teams need more than one starting quality running back.

You just made the argument for why Etienne was a bad pick. A first rounder on a guy who is unlikely to ever be more than a committee player is just ridiculous. We could have gotten Gainwell or Carter in the 5th and had our part time complement to Jrob and been WAY better off.

There is zero guarantee that either of those guys will be close to the player Etienne is. It is all just speculation until at least 2 or 3 seasons.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Any chance of a multiple wins ever again for the cursed Jaguars? The meltdowns of late.....

(05-09-2021, 01:10 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(05-08-2021, 08:08 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I don't think he has the frame to have 20 touches a game. He's a 200 lb speed back, not a bell cow #1.

He'll actually be playing about the same size as Robinson but a bit faster. The RB competition may be more interesting than we think. I think Robinson will end up being the opening day starter but UM didn't draft Etienne to sit on the bench for any significant amount of time.
I hope it’s not actually a competition at all. 
I hope it’s just a matter of carving out designed plays/packages for both of them. 
It would be foolish not to utilize the two varied and effective skill sets IMO.

I get the feeling that Meyer wanted someone to fill a Percy Harvin role, but Percy didn't really have much impact in the NFL when he wasn't playing against the Jaguars. I've said it many times, great coaches find scheme ways to bring out the most abilities of the players they have, bad coaches have a scheme and need to find players that fit it because they don't actually understand football the way the guy who developed the scheme does.

(This post was last modified: 05-10-2021, 07:00 AM by The Real Marty.)

(05-09-2021, 04:40 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:  I also think the days of the so-called bell cow back are gone.  It's a 17 game season now.  Teams need more than one starting quality running back.

Just because a guy is not in the game on every play, that doesn't make him "nothing more than a committee player."  There are lots of positions where players come in and out of games.  Defensive line is the most notable one.  Wide receivers also come in and out of games.  So do a lot of other players.  Running backs often have to come out of games, just to get a rest.  

But I repeat, it's a 17 game season now and that's without any playoff games.  Running backs take a lot of punishment.  I don't want to run James Robinson into the ground before we even manage to finish the regular season.  And I also don't want either Robinson or Etienne, if they have a minor injury, to be forced into a game where they could have sat out, because we don't have an alternative.  

A year from now, you'll be glad we drafted him.

(This post was last modified: 05-10-2021, 07:08 AM by WingerDinger.)

(05-09-2021, 06:07 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: I get the feeling that Meyer wanted someone to fill a Percy Harvin role, but Percy didn't really have much impact in the NFL when he wasn't playing against the Jaguars. I've said it many times, great coaches find scheme ways to bring out the most abilities of the players they have, bad coaches have a scheme and need to find players that fit it because they don't actually understand football the way the guy who developed the scheme does.

Bad take.. Percy Harvin was also severely hampered with migraines and anxiety which held him out of a lot of games and practices.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

You also would of been ok with Rondale Moore at 25, who would of been a committee player.

(05-10-2021, 06:56 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(05-09-2021, 02:47 PM)Upper Wrote: You just made the argument for why Etienne was a bad pick. A first rounder on a guy who is unlikely to ever be more than a committee player is just ridiculous. We could have gotten Gainwell or Carter in the 5th and had our part time complement to Jrob and been WAY better off.

Just because a guy is not in the game on every play, that doesn't make him "nothing more than a committee player."  There are lots of positions where players come in and out of games.  Defensive line is the most notable one.  Wide receivers also come in and out of games.  So do a lot of other players.  Running backs often have to come out of games, just to get a rest.  

But I repeat, it's a 17 game season now and that's without any playoff games.  Running backs take a lot of punishment.  I don't want to run James Robinson into the ground before we even manage to finish the regular season.  And I also don't want either Robinson or Etienne, if they have a minor injury, to be forced into a game where they could have sat out, because we don't have an alternative.  

A year from now, you'll be glad we drafted him.
But this really has nothing to do with Etienne.

Everything you just said could also apply to a 5th round running back like Gainwell or Carter. The only difference is that the Jags wouldn't have had to use a 1st round pick on those players.

(05-07-2021, 08:29 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-07-2021, 08:07 AM)Mikey Wrote: So now it's bad to express opinions (or shall we call them guesses?) on a message board? You are only guessing as well, nothing wrong with that.

Time to channel our inner Joe Friday and stick to just the facts, eh?

Thinking that TLaw and Etienne are gonna post anything near 173 TD in 3 seasons maybe? The tweet was RIGHT there in the quoted post.

Do we really need a number to say either are damn good at what they do? No. If they aren't playing like gangbusters right outta the gate, you wanna bet there won't be eleventy billion "because jaguars" posts from the resident Eeyores around here?

Freddy was on the downward slope of his career, though. apples and octopi.
Did anywhere in my post say that I expect them to produce 173 TDs in 3 years?   Some are doubting most of the picks before these guys have even played a game, even though we have a new regime so it won't shock me if people freak out if we don't win week 1.  The only expectation I have is they are going to make this team better and compete for the division next year at the latest, although I think we have a chance at the division this year with all the additions we have made.

It was the only argument you provided as to why picking both was above criticism. "Who would want this? LOL"

I don't know that anyone on the board argued that they didn't want either player. I don't think anyone on the board posted anything saying that either guy won't produce. The most convincing statement you could provide to say that the pick was worthwhile where it was made was a cherry-picked stat with no context.

And yes, I promise that even if YOU aren't expecting that level of production, somebody will see that number, and if we aren't scoring 60 TD a season between two dudes, they will deem the pick, player, or franchise a flop. I would really like to know how many of those scores were against "cupcake" opponents, how many TD were counted twice (Tlaw pass to Etienne), etc. I think that number is VERY misleading on its face. That's all I'm saying.

(05-10-2021, 08:32 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-09-2021, 02:47 PM)Upper Wrote: You just made the argument for why Etienne was a bad pick. A first rounder on a guy who is unlikely to ever be more than a committee player is just ridiculous. We could have gotten Gainwell or Carter in the 5th and had our part time complement to Jrob and been WAY better off.

You also would of been ok with Rondale Moore at 25, who would of been a committee player.

Rondale wouldn't have been my pick at 25 either, but he would have been a way better pick than Etienne. He could have been on the field for the vast majority of the snaps as a mostly full time slot who also plays in 4 wide sets and in the backfield some.

Why take a RB who has some rudimentary ability to play WR instead of just taking the stud WR who is far more explosive and also has the ability to play some rudimentary RB.

(05-08-2021, 05:55 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(05-07-2021, 07:25 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: It wouldn't shock me if Etienne ends up being ROY. I think him and T Law will be in the running

3rd down backs don't win ROY. JRob had an outstanding season last year as the lead back and didn't win it, ETN isn't going to post even those numbers in his 3rd down/Scat back role next season.

Speaking to this in particular, he was up against some steep competition. Herbert's resume was FANTASTIC, and certainly deserved the honor. It's not like when MJD lost out to Vince Young...not that I'm still bitter about that or anything.

(05-10-2021, 09:01 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(05-08-2021, 05:55 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: 3rd down backs don't win ROY. JRob had an outstanding season last year as the lead back and didn't win it, ETN isn't going to post even those numbers in his 3rd down/Scat back role next season.

Speaking to this in particular, he was up against some steep competition. Herbert's resume was FANTASTIC, and certainly deserved the honor. It's not like when MJD lost out to Vince Young...not that I'm still bitter about that or anything.

I agree, I just don't see ETN getting 1k and 10 TDs this coming season, so the case for his getting RoY will be weaker overall.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-10-2021, 09:07 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(05-10-2021, 09:01 AM)Mikey Wrote: Speaking to this in particular, he was up against some steep competition. Herbert's resume was FANTASTIC, and certainly deserved the honor. It's not like when MJD lost out to Vince Young...not that I'm still bitter about that or anything.

I agree, I just don't see ETN getting 1k and 10 TDs this coming season, so the case for his getting RoY will be weaker overall.

I could see him getting 1K all purpose yards and 10 TDs depending on how he's used. There are a lot of unknowns with rookies so he could also go for 350/3. I guess we'll find out.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 05-11-2021, 09:52 PM by bishop 2.)

(04-29-2021, 11:27 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Let’s hear all the draft professionals.

I'm with you..They know exactly what they want and who they felt they needed..Just because these armchair GM didn't like the pick doesn't mean it's a bad one..I love it and was hoping they would pick him.They knew what they wanted and they know the plans for him..Great lick and he's gonna alive up to the hype..GO JAGS..

A good breakdown, not many backs can do the things Etienne can

https://youtu.be/zxc6mJvzfdo