Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tim Tebow- Jags new TE (merged)

Let's face it.. People are going to whine if he's signed, people are going to whine if he isn't.. Either way, whining will ensue..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Dude just wants a ring this year. Can you blame him?

(05-16-2021, 08:21 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: Let's face it.. People are going to whine if he's signed, people are going to whine if he isn't.. Either way, whining will ensue..

This.

But almost all the passion on this subject is coming from the Tebow haters.  I don't know if I've seen a single Tebow cultist post on this.

Two self-evident fallacies:

1.  Signing Tebow would hurt team chemistry/FA buy-in/lose the locker room.  Balderdash.  Lageman said it well.  If he is signed and can play, the players will be okay with it.  If he is signed and makes the 53 but can't play, they won't be okay with it.

2.  Hypothetical others deserve the tryout more than Tebow does.  This defies logic.  No one deserves a tryout.  The fact that you're having to try out shows that your skills are minimal/decayed or you have not produced any outstanding tape for the position you want.  Getting a tryout is the product of many things, one of which is having someone convince the team to offer the tryout.  Call it nepotism if you want.  Tebow making the 53 if he does not earn it would be nepotism.  Getting a tryout and invite to camp is not.  It's called networking.  People help people they know.   It's how the world works.  Rage against reality it you like.  But it's not evil or wrong or team destroying.  Can anyone make a case based on fact rather than bias that Tebow is worse than the hypothetical 93rd player that would have been invited to camp?

I still stand by my original post.  I don't think he makes the 53.  The odds are stacked heavily against it.  If he does, it's a feel good story that many fans will like.  If he doesn't, most of us will shrug our shoulders and give it no more thought.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(This post was last modified: 05-16-2021, 10:10 AM by RicoTx.)

He's never played TE and he's 34.  I just don't see how people just brush this off like ir's no big deal.  Whatever.  I guess I must just be a 'hater'.

I'll go one better.  I can only imagine the uproar if this WASN'T Tebow.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 05-16-2021, 12:15 PM by I am Yoda.)

(05-16-2021, 10:07 AM)RicoTx Wrote: He's never played TE and he's 34.  I just don't see how people just brush this off like ir's no big deal.  Whatever.  I guess I must just be a 'hater'.

If it wasn't Tebow, there would not be a 29 page thread about it.
Fix the O-Line!

(05-16-2021, 12:14 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(05-16-2021, 10:07 AM)RicoTx Wrote: He's never played TE and he's 34.  I just don't see how people just brush this off like ir's no big deal.  Whatever.  I guess I must just be a 'hater'.

If it wasn't Tebow, there would not be a 29 page thread about it.
Isn’t that kind of the point?

If it wasn’t Tebow, the board would be unanimous that a dude who hasn’t played in 8 years and has never played TE shouldn’t get a try out.

But because people have certain feelings of nostalgia with Tebow, they think he can somehow pull this off.

(05-16-2021, 12:42 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-16-2021, 12:14 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: If it wasn't Tebow, there would not be a 29 page thread about it.
Isn’t that kind of the point?

If it wasn’t Tebow, the board would be unanimous that a dude who hasn’t played in 8 years and has never played TE shouldn’t get a try out.

But because people have certain feelings of nostalgia with Tebow, they think he can somehow pull this off.

I mostly agree with you.  BUT, I don't think most people on the board would care if a coach gave one of his old college players a tryout.  It's just a tryout.  It's not an unearned spot on the 53 man roster.  I would understand the angst and dread better at that point.
Fix the O-Line!

(This post was last modified: 05-16-2021, 01:09 PM by TrivialPursuit.)

(05-16-2021, 12:58 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(05-16-2021, 12:42 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Isn’t that kind of the point?

I mostly agree with you.  BUT, I don't think most people on the board would care if a coach gave one of his old college players a tryout.  It's just a tryout.  It's not an unearned spot on the 53 man roster.  I would understand the angst and dread better at that point.

Yes, we would, because that's exactly the problem we have with it. He's been out of the NFL for 8 years and when he was in, he sucked. He sucked bad.

Nepotism isn't a good look for anyone. Anyone watching Tebow struggle his way around a base during those few times he got a hit realize he's not an NFL TE.

It screams I'm a College coach in over my head.

(This post was last modified: 05-16-2021, 04:04 PM by TLawIsEnforced.)

Why is #BecauseJaguars still around? Will it ever end. Are we Jaguars fans doomed to be laughing stock of the entire sports world....

(05-16-2021, 12:58 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(05-16-2021, 12:42 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Isn’t that kind of the point?

It depends on the circumstances.

In most cases, whenever there is a new coach, he will often bring in players with whom he has a relationship, who knows the system he wants to implement, etc.  I could even see an instance where a coach brings in a player he coached several years earlier.  For instance, Meyer hasn't coached Malik Hooker in years.  I don't think anyone would have a problem bringing him in, because he has at least been active in the NFL since Meyer last coached him, even though he isn't the player he was pre injury.  But in most cases the person brought in hasn't been out of football for eight years and has played the position (or a similar one) for which he is auditioning.  Kelvin Benjamin hasn't played since 2018.  He is trying out for the Giants for a different position thatn he initially played, but the overlap between WR and TE is such that he MIGHT be able to make the transition.  As a TE, Benjamin would be tasked with beating a jam at the LOS, beating man coverage, identifying soft coverages and adjusting his routes to exploit holes in zones, and to catch the ball, often immediately before getting hit.  None of this is true in Tebow's case.

Tebow's absence from the game exceeded the length of his college and NFL career combined, and at 33-34 is making the switch to a position that is nothing close to what he played before.  Aside from shotgun snaps and the one route he ran with the Jets, he's never run routes on a regular basis.  Nor has he been tasked with any in line blocking the way he would be here.  There is no discernible overlap from his old position to his new one like there is with Kelvn Benjamin.

Very disingenuous to suggest this is like the typical tryout.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 05-16-2021, 04:47 PM by Eric1.)

(05-16-2021, 09:51 AM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(05-16-2021, 08:21 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: Let's face it.. People are going to whine if he's signed, people are going to whine if he isn't.. Either way, whining will ensue..

This.

But almost all the passion on this subject is coming from the Tebow haters.  I don't know if I've seen a single Tebow cultist post on this.

1.  Signing Tebow would hurt team chemistry/FA buy-in/lose the locker room.  Balderdash.  Lageman said it well.  If he is signed and can play, the players will be okay with it.  If he is signed and makes the 53 but can't play, they won't be okay with it.

2.  Hypothetical others deserve the tryout more than Tebow does.  This defies logic.  No one deserves a tryout.  The fact that you're having to try out shows that your skills are minimal/decayed or you have not produced any outstanding tape for the position you want.  Getting a tryout is the product of many things, one of which is having someone convince the team to offer the tryout.  Call it nepotism if you want.  Tebow making the 53 if he does not earn it would be nepotism.  Getting a tryout and invite to camp is not.  It's called networking.  People help people they know.   It's how the world works.  Rage against reality it you like.  But it's not evil or wrong or team destroying.  Can anyone make a case based on fact rather than bias that Tebow is worse than the hypothetical 93rd player that would have been invited to camp?

I still stand by my original post.  I don't think he makes the 53.  The odds are stacked heavily against it.  If he does, it's a feel good story that many fans will like.  If he doesn't, most of us will shrug our shoulders and give it no more thought.

Oh get off with the "Tebow haters" bull [BLEEP]..

Just because somebody dislikes the player (on the field)/a move the team makes, doesn't mean they hate the person.

I didn't want them to trade a 1st round pick for Orlando Brown Jr. on a 1 year rental. I thought it'd be a bad move, just like signing Tebow would be a bad move. So does that mean I must hate Brown or something? No it doesn't.

(This post was last modified: 05-16-2021, 05:19 PM by I am Yoda.)

(05-16-2021, 04:45 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(05-16-2021, 09:51 AM)I am Yoda Wrote: This.

Oh get off with the "Tebow haters" bull [BLEEP]..

Just because somebody dislikes the player (on the field)/a move the team makes, doesn't mean they hate the person.

I didn't want them to trade a 1st round pick for Orlando Brown Jr. on a 1 year rental. I thought it'd be a bad move, just like signing Tebow would be a bad move. So does that mean I must hate Brown or something? No it doesn't.

The length of this thread and your sensitivity to my post suggest more than mere disagreement with a move the team makes.  I'm assuming most posters on a football message board don't literally hate a player.  In context, hate means to have a viscerally negative opinion of someone.  Sort of the way I felt about Urban Meyer when he coached Florida (because I'm a Georgia fan) and Ohio State (because it's Ohio State).

I'd say the yelp means I hit my target.

(05-16-2021, 04:22 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-16-2021, 12:58 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: I mostly agree with you.  BUT, I don't think most people on the board would care if a coach gave one of his old college players a tryout.  It's just a tryout.  It's not an unearned spot on the 53 man roster.  I would understand the angst and dread better at that point.

It depends on the circumstances.

In most cases, whenever there is a new coach, he will often bring in players with whom he has a relationship, who knows the system he wants to implement, etc.  I could even see an instance where a coach brings in a player he coached several years earlier.  For instance, Meyer hasn't coached Malik Hooker in years.  I don't think anyone would have a problem bringing him in, because he has at least been active in the NFL since Meyer last coached him, even though he isn't the player he was pre injury.  But in most cases the person brought in hasn't been out of football for eight years and has played the position (or a similar one) for which he is auditioning.  Kelvin Benjamin hasn't played since 2018.  He is trying out for the Giants for a different position thatn he initially played, but the overlap between WR and TE is such that he MIGHT be able to make the transition.  As a TE, Benjamin would be tasked with beating a jam at the LOS, beating man coverage, identifying soft coverages and adjusting his routes to exploit holes in zones, and to catch the ball, often immediately before getting hit.  None of this is true in Tebow's case.

Tebow's absence from the game exceeded the length of his college and NFL career combined, and at 33-34 is making the switch to a position that is nothing close to what he played before.  Aside from shotgun snaps and the one route he ran with the Jets, he's never run routes on a regular basis.  Nor has he been tasked with any in line blocking the way he would be here.  There is no discernible overlap from his old position to his new one like there is with Kelvn Benjamin.

A favor is a favor, Bullseye.  Nothing more.  The longer this drags on, the more likely he doesn't get a camp invite.

On the other hand, I wish we had signed Kelvin Benjamin.  There might actually be something there with him.
Fix the O-Line!

(This post was last modified: 05-16-2021, 05:48 PM by Bullseye.)

(05-16-2021, 05:16 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(05-16-2021, 04:45 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Oh get off with the "Tebow haters" bull [BLEEP]..

The length of this thread and your sensitivity to my post suggest more than mere disagreement with a move the team makes.  I'm assuming most posters on a football message board don't literally hate a player.  In context, hate means to have a viscerally negative opinion of someone.  Sort of the way I felt about Urban Meyer when he coached Florida (because I'm a Georgia fan) and Ohio State (because it's Ohio State).

(05-16-2021, 04:22 PM)Bullseye Wrote: It depends on the circumstances.

A favor is a favor, Bullseye.  Nothing more.  The longer this drags on, the more likely he doesn't get a camp invite.

On the other hand, I wish we had signed Kelvin Benjamin.  There might actually be something there with him.
To be clear, I'm not suggesting it wasn't a favor.  I don't doubt it was a favor.

What I am saying, however, is that this wasn't a typical May tryout.

To be clear, I don't blame Tebow at all for requesting the tryout.

Jimmy Smith (and his mom, IIRC) had to ask TC for him to get a tryout by sending him a package, including tape. If Tebow still has the itch to play, I don't blame him from exploring all possibilities.

I'm just surprised he GOT the tryout diven the totality of circumstances.

(05-16-2021, 05:16 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(05-16-2021, 04:45 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Oh get off with the "Tebow haters" bull [BLEEP]..

There's no sensitivity.. I'm pointing out how stupid it is for you to instantly call people "tebow haters" because they don't want their team to make another dumb move. We want players who are going to help make this team better, not ones who are more than likely going to make it worse.

Also, that just sounds more like you pushing your so called hate for Meyer into the discussion as a reason to try and make others out to be haters as well for your own satisfaction.

(05-16-2021, 06:08 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(05-16-2021, 05:16 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: The length of this thread and your sensitivity to my post suggest more than mere disagreement with a move the team makes.  I'm assuming most posters on a football message board don't literally hate a player.  In context, hate means to have a viscerally negative opinion of someone.  Sort of the way I felt about Urban Meyer when he coached Florida (because I'm a Georgia fan) and Ohio State (because it's Ohio State).

There's no sensitivity.. I'm pointing out how stupid it is for you to instantly call people "tebow haters" because they don't want their team to make another dumb move. We want players who are going to help make this team better, not ones who are more than likely going to make it worse.

Also, that just sounds more like you pushing your so called hate for Meyer into the discussion as a reason to try and make others out to be haters as well for your own satisfaction.

You keep trying to make something out of nothing.  You're not doing very well.  

I did not instantly call anyone haters.  After 29 droning pages of the unfairness of it all, I reached the conclusion that some/many in this thread have a visceral dislike for Tebow.  I think both your recent responses prove me right.  Even if they sign him to camp, it is not a dumb move.  If they sign him to final roster and he doesn't earn it, then it's a dumb move.

I don't need any satisfaction.  I made a comparison that was valid to show how ridiculous your claim of hate for the person was.  And I used past tense regarding Meyer.  He's the Jags coach now and I'm glad he is.  He's a winner and I think he's on the right track.

But keep trying to make me the one with the agenda.
Fix the O-Line!

(This post was last modified: 05-16-2021, 07:32 PM by Eric1.)

(05-16-2021, 07:06 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(05-16-2021, 06:08 PM)Eric1 Wrote: There's no sensitivity.. I'm pointing out how stupid it is for you to instantly call people "tebow haters" because they don't want their team to make another dumb move. We want players who are going to help make this team better, not ones who are more than likely going to make it worse.

You keep trying to make something out of nothing.  You're not doing very well.  

I did not instantly call anyone haters.  After 29 droning pages of the unfairness of it all, I reached the conclusion that some/many in this thread have a visceral dislike for Tebow.  I think both your recent responses prove me right.  Even if they sign him to camp, it is not a dumb move.  If they sign him to final roster and he doesn't earn it, then it's a dumb move.

I don't need any satisfaction.  I made a comparison that was valid to show how ridiculous your claim of hate for the person was.  And I used past tense regarding Meyer.  He's the Jags coach now and I'm glad he is.  He's a winner and I think he's on the right track.

But keep trying to make me the one with the agenda.

It's a dumb move to even bother trying out any player who's 34, who's been away from football for 9 years. Has little to do with it being Tebow and everything to do with dude being 34 and trying to make a position switch after being away from the game in 9 years.

If this dude was named Frank Parker, everybody would laugh at this and say it was dumb. Because it is.

It'd be dumb to bring MJD back for a tryout at Full Back, even though he was one of my favorite players.

(05-16-2021, 05:38 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-16-2021, 05:16 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: The length of this thread and your sensitivity to my post suggest more than mere disagreement with a move the team makes.  I'm assuming most posters on a football message board don't literally hate a player.  In context, hate means to have a viscerally negative opinion of someone.  Sort of the way I felt about Urban Meyer when he coached Florida (because I'm a Georgia fan) and Ohio State (because it's Ohio State).

To be clear, I'm not suggesting it wasn't a favor.  I don't doubt it was a favor.

What I am saying, however, is that this wasn't a typical May tryout.

To be clear, I don't blame Tebow at all for requesting the tryout.

Jimmy Smith (and his mom, IIRC) had to ask TC for him to get a tryout by sending him a package, including tape.  If Tebow still has the itch to play, I don't blame him from exploring all possibilities.

I'm just surprised he GOT the tryout diven the totality of circumstances.

I get you Bullseye. On one hand I dont blame Tebow. This must be like winning the lottery. 34 years old, baseball careers not gone how he likes and someone will give him a shot in the NFL again? I get why hes taking it

But that then leads me to ask why would Urban, in one of his first moves as an NFL HC make a move like this. It stinks of nepotism and theres a whole country of guys to pick from, theres no one else who could play TE? The talking heads have been laughing and trashing us all week over this. We have Trevor freaking Lawrence, we should be looking for the next Kelce.

Let me put it this way, your working your job and your boss says someone needs a promotion. Hows it going to go down when you give it to your friend who doesnt even work there?

I can only hope hes cut in the first week and we can get back to talking sensible football again.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

I can't wait for the jags to either sign this doofus or tell him to hit the bricks. Too much time is being wasted on this guy while there's so many positive things that could be maintaining this boards attention other than a 33 yo QB turned TE..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(05-16-2021, 08:07 PM)MoJagFan Wrote:

Brilliantly played, Sir!