Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monroe Traded

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 08:57 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Trent Richardson got more in trade because he is UNDER CONTRACT FOR SEVERAL MORE YEARS!  

Take a look at the difference- Trent Richardson for 2-1/2 years vs Eugene Monroe for 12 games.   BIG DIFFERENCE!  

Theres others.....Roy Williams was another who doesn't play a premium position, wasn't near the top at his position, AND was in a similar contract situation as Monroe, and he fetched a 1st/ 3rd & 6th. 

We were able to get a 3rd + a 5th for a broken down old regressing Stroud, who again, was in a similar situation contract-wise to Monroe....

Caldwell got fleeced. Plain & simple. 

I was concerned (and posted exactly that earlier in this thread) as soon as I saw the trading partner (Ravens) and my concerns proved to be valid. I had a feeling Caldwell was going to be fleeced when you have Ozzie Newsome on the other end of that deal. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Good luck to him. At least he's going to a team worth being on.
Maybe Monroe displayed this type of attitude as well and there in lies the reason he is gone.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

I am not surprised what they got in return for Monroe. I am just surprised Monroe was not in their long term plans.

Its funny how different fans think we got a good deal and others think the exact opposite.  I personally think getting 3 picks for a guy you werent planning to resign is a great deal.

The team wasnt going to win any games anyway.

Quote:You dont want to resign him? So your premise is that Caldwell got fleeced by gaining picks for a player you were going to let walk for nothing? All Caldwell gave up in your scenario is 12 games without a player you are going to let walk for nothing. Does not make sense.

Uh....you don't LET players like Monroe with value "walk for nothing" which is essentially what Caldwell did here considering the return - you use some saavy and get the highest return possible, even if that means holding on to the playera little longer than you want to. If it meant franchising Monroe for a little bit, then thats what it takes....

You don't just sell an asset at much less than its worth by taking the first inquiry that comes down the pike. 

I'd LOVE to buy a house off of Caldwell!!!! :yes: 

Quote:Theres others.....Roy Williams was another who doesn't play a premium position, wasn't near the top at his position, AND was in a similar contract situation as Monroe, and he fetched a 1st/ 3rd & 6th. 

We were able to get a 3rd + a 5th for a broken down old regressing Stroud, who again, was in a similar situation contract-wise to Monroe....

Caldwell got fleeced. Plain & simple. 

I was concerned (and posted exactly that earlier in this thread) as soon as I saw the trading partner (Ravens) and my concerns proved to be valid. I had a feeling Caldwell was going to be fleeced when you have Ozzie Newsome on the other end of that deal. 
Ravens don't make bad deals. They just don't. They don't reach for players and this is why they are continually one of the best teams in the league.

Quote:Its funny how different fans think we got a good deal and others think the exact opposite.  I personally think getting 3 picks for a guy you werent planning to resign is a great deal.

The team wasnt going to win any games anyway.

... as a few other posters have pointed out, he WILL be available to resign next year.

Quote:I am not surprised what they got in return for Monroe. I am just surprised Monroe was not in their long term plans.

Joeckel's the better OLT ceiling (I think) and neither are really good options for ORT. They need more of a mauler at ORT and Monroe wasn't that. 

Quote:I am not surprised what they got in return for Monroe. I am just surprised Monroe was not in their long term plans.

Who's to say he isn't.  He'll be a free agent next year.  Got me thinking ......

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 09:05 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Ravens don't make bad deals. They just don't. They don't reach for players and this is why they are continually one of the best teams in the league.

Pretty much this. 

Its why I was concerned as soon as I saw the trading partner. (before any details even came out regarding compensation). I had a bad feeling Ozzie was going to fleece Dave....and he did. 

This is exactly how I feel and what I am not able to comprehend. 

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 -->

Quote:Joeckel's the better OLT ceiling (I think) and neither are really good options for ORT. They need more of a mauler at ORT and Monroe wasn't that. 

I don't disagree that Joeckel has the higher ceiling. But you had two good tackles in place. Now we are right back to square one at right tackle. Cam Bradfield is god awful.

Obviously maybe they tried this. But I have to think Caldwell knew Monroe was not in his long tem plans. Why not just get it over with and trade him after drafting Joeckel and sign a Eric Winston type for a one year deal. Just get it over with. Waiting did nothing but throw another monkey wrench into an already awful season.

Quote:Ravens don't make bad deals. They just don't. They don't reach for players and this is why they are continually one of the best teams in the league.

Other than Kyle Boller, I agree with this. I can't think of one head scratching draft pick they have made. You can't say that about any other team. It's like they just sit back, wait for other teams to trip on their own feet and then snatch up good players.

Quote:... as a few other posters have pointed out, he WILL be available to resign next year.
Who says the ravens will ever let him hit the open market?

Quote:Uh....you don't LET players like Monroe with value "walk for nothing" which is essentially what Caldwell did here considering the return - you use some saavy and get the highest return possible, even if that means holding on to the playera little longer than you want to. If it meant franchising Monroe for a little bit, then thats what it takes....

You don't just sell an asset at much less than its worth by taking the first inquiry that comes down the pike. 

I'd LOVE to buy a house off of Caldwell!!!! :yes:
You apparently think the draft should only be two rounds. That zero talent can be found later in the draft. Sometimes teams even bundle many late round picks for players and higher picks. But you know all this, you are just being you. Caldwell is your new target with MJD running a close second.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Quote:Who says the ravens will ever let him hit the open market?

I doubt they do. Why would they? He's a clear upgrade over anybody they have. They have their left tackle for the next 5-6 years.

Quote:Who says the ravens will ever let him hit the open market?

They spent most of their money on Flacco ($150m) and they have a lot more talent so they have a lot more decisions to make -- kind of like the Steelers letting Mike Wallace, Mendenhall and others go.  Heck, the Steelers were hurting so bad, they let their serviceable backup center go and now Pouncey is out for the year.

Ravens may wiggle around the cap but with Oher and others it will be tough.

Quote:I don't disagree that Joeckel has the higher ceiling. But you had two good tackles in place. Now we are right back to square one at right tackle. Cam Bradfield is god awful.

Obviously maybe they tried this. But I have to think Caldwell knew Monroe was not in his long tem plans. Why not just get it over with and trade him after drafting Joeckel and sign a Eric Winston type for a one year deal. Just get it over with. Waiting did nothing but throw another monkey wrench into an already awful season.

Exactly!!!!

And at that point, they probably would have got more for Monroe. Winston would have been a solid "bridge" ORT who had experience in the ZBS, too....

I dunno.....the whole thing just reaks of mismanaged. 

ESPN says multiple 3rd day draft picks for Monroe. That is just sad.

Quote:They spent most of their money on Flacco ($150m) and they have a lot more talent so they have a lot more decisions to make -- kind of like the Steelers letting Mike Wallace, Mendenhall and others go.  Heck, the Steelers were hurting so bad, they let their serviceable backup center go and now Pouncey is out for the year.

Ravens may wiggle around the cap but with Oher and others it will be tough.

I don't think Oher is in their long term plans and he is a free agent. Monroe is a much better player.