Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Sophmore Shenault

(This post was last modified: 05-16-2021, 12:32 PM by CanDoBetter.)

I hope so too but more to the point of this thread I don't think Meyer is convinced about using Shenault as a weapon.

Drafting Etienne makes more sense that way.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Shenault reminds me of Derrick Henry with the ball in his hands.

(05-16-2021, 12:32 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: I hope so too but more to the point of this thread I don't think Meyer is convinced about using Shenault as a weapon.

I don't think we know at this point what Meyer thinks or doesn't think about Shenault.  We do know Meyer likes speed across the team and positions, and not just one player (ie. ETN).

(05-16-2021, 02:08 PM)ATLjag Wrote:
(05-16-2021, 12:32 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: I hope so too but more to the point of this thread I don't think Meyer is convinced about using Shenault as a weapon.

I don't think we know at this point what Meyer thinks or doesn't think about Shenault.  We do know Meyer likes speed across the team and positions, and not just one player (ie. ETN).

Sure, but if someone asks why we use Etienne as a weapon when we already had Shenault then the answer would be that Meyer doesn't like Shenault enough as weapon. This is because the implication is that only one weapon is needed. 

I don't necessarily think you're wrong but I do think there is some evidence that Meyer isn't convinced Shenault can be a H-back.

(This post was last modified: 05-17-2021, 07:47 AM by ATLjag.)

(05-16-2021, 02:29 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote:
(05-16-2021, 02:08 PM)ATLjag Wrote: I don't think we know at this point what Meyer thinks or doesn't think about Shenault.  We do know Meyer likes speed across the team and positions, and not just one player (ie. ETN).

Sure, but if someone asks why we use Etienne as a weapon when we already had Shenault then the answer would be that Meyer doesn't like Shenault enough as weapon. This is because the implication is that only one weapon is needed. 

I don't necessarily think you're wrong but I do think there is some evidence that Meyer isn't convinced Shenault can be a H-back.

I don't see that putting ETN at RB (not H-back) or even wildcat at times as a "weapon" prevents the offense from using Shenault as a "weapon" from the WR positions.  Besides getting the ball quickly into Viska's hands on quick screens and passes, you can still use him on things like jet sweeps that he excelled at last season.  I see the drafting of ETN as adding another weapon on the field for Trevor, not replacing one on the roster or field. I do think reducing some of the hits that Shenault likes to take on is a benefit.

(This post was last modified: 05-17-2021, 09:31 AM by rpr52121.)

(05-17-2021, 07:46 AM)ATLjag Wrote:
(05-16-2021, 02:29 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: Sure, but if someone asks why we use Etienne as a weapon when we already had Shenault then the answer would be that Meyer doesn't like Shenault enough as weapon. This is because the implication is that only one weapon is needed. 

I don't see that putting ETN at RB (not H-back) or even wildcat at times as a "weapon" prevents the offense from using Shenault as a "weapon" from the WR positions.  Besides getting the ball quickly into Viska's hands on quick screens and passes, you can still use him on things like jet sweeps that he excelled at last season.  I see the drafting of ETN as adding another weapon on the field for Trevor, not replacing one on the roster or field.  I do think reducing some of the hits that Shenault likes to take on is a benefit.

If anything if having a joker piece that could be RB/WR is going to be so important to the offense's philosophy, having multiple players who could fulfill that role is important.

Injuries happen. Match ups are important; like maybe on 3rd and 2 you run the option play with LS. Maybe on 2nd and 20 you run it with ETN. Or by having both on the field, the defense cannot key on 1 single read

On top of that one is slightly more RB and one is slightly more WR so you can better maintain roster flexibility.

(This post was last modified: 05-17-2021, 11:48 AM by CanDoBetter.)

(05-17-2021, 07:46 AM)ATLjag Wrote:
(05-16-2021, 02:29 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: Sure, but if someone asks why we use Etienne as a weapon when we already had Shenault then the answer would be that Meyer doesn't like Shenault enough as weapon. This is because the implication is that only one weapon is needed. 

I don't see that putting ETN at RB (not H-back) or even wildcat at times as a "weapon" prevents the offense from using Shenault as a "weapon" from the WR positions.  Besides getting the ball quickly into Viska's hands on quick screens and passes, you can still use him on things like jet sweeps that he excelled at last season.  I see the drafting of ETN as adding another weapon on the field for Trevor, not replacing one on the roster or field.  I do think reducing some of the hits that Shenault likes to take on is a benefit.

H back means Hybrid back in the historical Meyer offenses. 
Quote:[color=#333333][size=large][font=proxima-nova, Arial, sans-serif]When Meyer arrived to the Buckeyes in 2012, he brought with him the H-Back position. The hybrid slot receiver/ball carrier was made famous at Florida by Percy Harvin
https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state...133006973/

This offseason has produced some things to be excited about and some things that make me scratch my head. However, Laviska Shenault entering year 2 with an improved QB situation is worthy of much excitement.

3 wrs, no TE, shotgun 2 back set.
Chark and Jones lined up wide. Robinson and Etienne in backfield. Shenault in slot left. Formation shift, Trevor moves under center, Robinson goes to the I back and Etienne shifts to slot right.

You now have 2 playmakers in the slot and Robinson behind the QB, with Chark and Jones wide. What personnel does the defense have on the field? Nickel at the least I hope. If not you have a LB on Shenault and Etienne.

If you are in nickel either Shenault or Etienne have a LB on them. Teams may go Dime...but remember Robinson still in the backfield. That's hat on hat and should be 5 yards minimum.

When all these guys healthy...this offense will give defenses fits!

(05-19-2021, 09:48 PM)Mandeezee Wrote: 3 wrs, no TE, shotgun 2 back set.
Chark and Jones lined up wide. Robinson and Etienne in backfield. Shenault in slot left. Formation shift, Trevor moves under center, Robinson goes to the I back and Etienne shifts to slot right.

You now have 2 playmakers in the slot and Robinson behind the QB, with Chark and Jones wide. What personnel does the defense have on the field? Nickel at the least I hope. If not you have a LB on Shenault and Etienne.

If you are in nickel either Shenault or Etienne have a LB on them. Teams may go Dime...but remember Robinson still in the backfield. That's hat on hat and should be 5 yards minimum.

When all these guys healthy...this offense will give defenses fits!

The mismatch opportunities are abundant if they keep these players healthy and scheme it up well. 
I'm excited about the offense despite the TE question marks.

I'll admit on draft night, I wasn't thrilled about the ETN pick. I figured Shenault would be the guy we used for the screen game / gadget plays. But the more I thought about it, the more it makes sense. You're creating a ton of mismatches out here. Good luck defending everyone with either a Dime defense or having a linebacker keep up with ETN/Shenault.

(05-19-2021, 10:58 PM)High Octane Wrote: I'll admit on draft night, I wasn't thrilled about the ETN pick. I figured Shenault would be the guy we used for the screen game / gadget plays. But the more I thought about it, the more it makes sense. You're creating a ton of mismatches out here. Good luck defending everyone with either a Dime defense or having a linebacker keep up with ETN/Shenault.

You could have done that with Elijah Moore and had a better player who you will also want to give a second contract to.

(This post was last modified: 05-21-2021, 09:45 AM by Jagsfan32277.)

1:26 and 3:32 mark
Looking bigger and stronger.  Working on his explosive in and out route running.  He gonna breakout this upcoming season to be a superstar. 

I have a feeling that Shenault is gonna feast with TLaw at the helm.. He did pretty good with a mediocre QB..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(05-16-2021, 04:39 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-15-2021, 09:22 PM)Dimson Wrote: His problem is we now have two guys for that role. Shenault is like the power back version of ETN.

Exactly, which is why I'm so confused about the Etienne selection. We have a guy who was a very successful RB (Etienne,) that we are now using primarily as a WR and we have a another guy who was very successful in college as a "weapon" (Shenault,) who was used at WR, RB and wildcat QB, that we are using almost exclusively at WR? Here's a novel idea...... How about we draft players who were successful in college and let them play at the positions they had shown success at? Sometimes NFL coaches try to get to "cute" with their play calls and put players into positions they are not meant to be in. They try so hard to be innovative, that they don't see what they already have. 

We have good, young receivers. Keep Etienne as a 3rd down RB where he can run and catch the ball out of the backfield. Making him primarily a receiver just doesn't make much sense to me. Shenault on the other hand needs to be in a more creative role. Move him around and keep the defense guessing. Let him run the ball a few times and catch the ball out of the backfield a couple times a game. Line him up as a wildcat QB in short yardage situations, but use him primarily as a WR. This kind of role was what he thrived in during his Sophomore year at Colorado. Last season, his role with the team was pretty "vanilla" looking. They rarely used him in a diversified role and when they did, it was in very predictable situations.

Heck, for what it's worth, I would love to see Myles Jack get some carries. They used him as a RB at UCLA in some games and he was one of the most dynamic college rushers I had ever seen.
Etienne was only used in ota's as a wide receiver because TL was not taking snaps from center or handing for to running backs. It made perfect sense to start development as a wide receive under those conditions.
UM has stated more then once that he wants him to be both a running threat and receiving threat.  He is not being developed as primarily a wide receiver, that is your interpretation and it is not in line with the coaches plan for Etienne.

(05-15-2021, 09:22 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(05-14-2021, 10:34 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I know all about Shenault. I had him on my Fantasy College Team his Sophomore year at Colorado when he helped me to a championship. He was much more than a receiver though. The Buffaloes lined him up all over the place. Part of the reason he was so successful that year was that no one could keep track of the guy, he was always lining up in a different spot. They were very creative with his role. I believe that's how he should be used with the Jags. Don't just make him a receiver. Make him a weapon at different positions.

His problem is we now have two guys for that role. Shenault is like the power back version of ETN.

Having multiple versatile players is a good thing. It doesn’t diminish the role of one or the other and these players are really different. Viska is a big bodied receiver who can thrive in the slot or Z but also do some things out of the backfield. 

Etienne is a one cut and go (fast) RB with great vision for the hole who is expected to emerge as a part time receiving threat. 

Hard for me to see this as two guys in one role. 

This staff should be licking their chops at how they’ll utilize Shenault , Etienne, Robinson and Chark. 
So many ways to move the football and a QB that should facilitate.

(05-15-2021, 09:22 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(05-14-2021, 10:34 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I know all about Shenault. I had him on my Fantasy College Team his Sophomore year at Colorado when he helped me to a championship. He was much more than a receiver though. The Buffaloes lined him up all over the place. Part of the reason he was so successful that year was that no one could keep track of the guy, he was always lining up in a different spot. They were very creative with his role. I believe that's how he should be used with the Jags. Don't just make him a receiver. Make him a weapon at different positions.

His problem is we now have two guys for that role. Shenault is like the power back version of ETN.
Why would you not want 2 explosive versatile guys that can create miss matches?

I’m smiling bc Lawrence is gonna make it all work....finally

I just hope we can stop the run.