Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Sophmore Shenault

In April last year, the Jags drafted WR Laviska Shenault in the 2nd round with the 42nd pick.  Thought to be a 1st round pick by many, Viska fell largely due to a disappointing February combine 40 time of 4.58, a deep WR class, and injury concerns.  Just after the combine, Viska had core surgery, a bilateral pelvic repair.  The surgeon was surprised he ran a 40 with the injury.  His college production and tape showed a strong, explosive receiver with very good speed.    

With no to limited preseason pro development due to the Covid environment, and coming off the surgery, Viska still earned a prominent role in the Jag's WR corps, and managed to catch 58 balls during the season.  His highlights for the season displayed a tough competitor with very good YAC skills.  Coming into his sophmore season, a season of NFL experience under his belt and now completely healthy, I expect exciting things this next season from Shenault.  Add in Lawrence throwing the ball and a full pre-season with experienced WR coach Sanjay Lal, I am confident we will see Shenault emerge as a weapon that will make Coach Meyer forget about his draft desire for Kadarius Toney.

Highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1hPHM9PKF4

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think he ends up our best WR

He seems like the kinda guy that will always miss a few games each year. Just hope he never gets anything major. Not deep enough at wr yet

Chark and Shenault = Shenark

(05-14-2021, 02:14 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I think he ends up our best WR

No way. I hope Shenault does well, but I believe Chark will be a top 5 receiver in 2021. He's always had the talent, he just needed a decent QB.

He was fun to watch. I hope he turns it on. I do believe Chark could light it up. Could be lots of fun this year.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(05-14-2021, 04:48 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

No way. I hope Shenault does well, but I believe Chark will be a top 5 receiver in 2021. He's always had the talent, he just needed a decent QB.

You can say the same for Shenault.  What QB has he had?  Shenault was talked about as the first WR to be drafted before his last college season then he had some injury issues.

Not a slight at Shenault, because I think he’s going to be good, but in terms of this season?

Chark > Jones > Shenault

Still think all 3 have good seasons but ultimately think Chark has the best of the 3.

(This post was last modified: 05-14-2021, 05:22 PM by JagFan81.)

I like Shenault too and he got better as the season went on, that's what you want from a rookie WR. I think it was Charks first game he had a fumble and a drop but got better.

I think Shenault is that X factor guy for us. You can line him up in so many spots and he has that playmaker ability to make guys miss and make big plays. 

With Etienne and Robinson and Chark and Jones, you could get plenty of matchups for him on LB's which he will destroy

I bet he misses at least 4 games. Having said that I expect him to have 800+ yards and 7+ TDs.

Chark is the best WR.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

I mean it’s possible but Chark could put that work in for another trip to the Pro Bowl.

(This post was last modified: 05-14-2021, 08:34 PM by rpr52121.)

LS best traits last year were really tough to take take down, contested catches though not really in the air, and he seems to understand how to find the holes in zone coverage.

The key for him unlocking that next few steps will be better at releases so that he can show off his top end speed, and better route running to create more separation and not have to rely on the contested catches so much.

Also, I think getting better at these things could help him be healthier as it can prevent him from having to deal with so much more contact and hits that he seems to have to use with his current style.

(05-14-2021, 05:08 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Not a slight at Shenault, because I think he’s going to be good, but in terms of this season?

Chark > Jones > Shenault

Still think all 3 have good seasons but ultimately think Chark has the best of the 3.

This is how I see it.

As the season progresses, and as Lawrence makes more adjustments to the pro game, I think Shenault makes a bigger impact if he's healthy.  But I think Chark is who will open things up for the other guys.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(05-14-2021, 05:03 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-14-2021, 04:48 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: No way. I hope Shenault does well, but I believe Chark will be a top 5 receiver in 2021. He's always had the talent, he just needed a decent QB.

You can say the same for Shenault.  What QB has he had?  Shenault was talked about as the first WR to be drafted before his last college season then he had some injury issues.

I know all about Shenault. I had him on my Fantasy College Team his Sophomore year at Colorado when he helped me to a championship. He was much more than a receiver though. The Buffaloes lined him up all over the place. Part of the reason he was so successful that year was that no one could keep track of the guy, he was always lining up in a different spot. They were very creative with his role. I believe that's how he should be used with the Jags. Don't just make him a receiver. Make him a weapon at different positions.

(05-14-2021, 10:34 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-14-2021, 05:03 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: You can say the same for Shenault.  What QB has he had?  Shenault was talked about as the first WR to be drafted before his last college season then he had some injury issues.

I know all about Shenault. I had him on my Fantasy College Team his Sophomore year at Colorado when he helped me to a championship. He was much more than a receiver though. The Buffaloes lined him up all over the place. Part of the reason he was so successful that year was that no one could keep track of the guy, he was always lining up in a different spot. They were very creative with his role. I believe that's how he should be used with the Jags. Don't just make him a receiver. Make him a weapon at different positions.

His problem is we now have two guys for that role. Shenault is like the power back version of ETN.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Shenault is a football player. Love watching the dude get touches. Hope he ends up working great in Tandem with Chark.

(This post was last modified: 05-16-2021, 04:42 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(05-15-2021, 09:22 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(05-14-2021, 10:34 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I know all about Shenault. I had him on my Fantasy College Team his Sophomore year at Colorado when he helped me to a championship. He was much more than a receiver though. The Buffaloes lined him up all over the place. Part of the reason he was so successful that year was that no one could keep track of the guy, he was always lining up in a different spot. They were very creative with his role. I believe that's how he should be used with the Jags. Don't just make him a receiver. Make him a weapon at different positions.

His problem is we now have two guys for that role. Shenault is like the power back version of ETN.

Exactly, which is why I'm so confused about the Etienne selection. We have a guy who was a very successful RB (Etienne,) that we are now using primarily as a WR and we have a another guy who was very successful in college as a "weapon" (Shenault,) who was used at WR, RB and wildcat QB, that we are using almost exclusively at WR? Here's a novel idea...... How about we draft players who were successful in college and let them play at the positions they had shown success at? Sometimes NFL coaches try to get to "cute" with their play calls and put players into positions they are not meant to be in. They try so hard to be innovative, that they don't see what they already have. 

We have good, young receivers. Keep Etienne as a 3rd down RB where he can run and catch the ball out of the backfield. Making him primarily a receiver just doesn't make much sense to me. Shenault on the other hand needs to be in a more creative role. Move him around and keep the defense guessing. Let him run the ball a few times and catch the ball out of the backfield a couple times a game. Line him up as a wildcat QB in short yardage situations, but use him primarily as a WR. This kind of role was what he thrived in during his Sophomore year at Colorado. Last season, his role with the team was pretty "vanilla" looking. They rarely used him in a diversified role and when they did, it was in very predictable situations.

Heck, for what it's worth, I would love to see Myles Jack get some carries. They used him as a RB at UCLA in some games and he was one of the most dynamic college rushers I had ever seen.

(05-15-2021, 09:22 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(05-14-2021, 10:34 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I know all about Shenault. I had him on my Fantasy College Team his Sophomore year at Colorado when he helped me to a championship. He was much more than a receiver though. The Buffaloes lined him up all over the place. Part of the reason he was so successful that year was that no one could keep track of the guy, he was always lining up in a different spot. They were very creative with his role. I believe that's how he should be used with the Jags. Don't just make him a receiver. Make him a weapon at different positions.

Why is it a problem to have more than one good player for a role? Maybe it's a problem in terms of their stats but who cares?

Anyway, Shenault will be more like a 3rd receiver. ETN will ultimately be more of a pass catching running back, nevermind rookie camp.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(05-16-2021, 04:39 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Exactly, which is why I'm so confused about the Etienne selection. We have a guy who was a very successful RB (Etienne,) that we are now using primarily as a WR

Are we? Nothing Meyer said has indicated that. At best Etienne will be a weapon, only much better than Shenault.

(05-16-2021, 04:39 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: and we have a another guy who was very successful in college as a "weapon" (Shenault,) who was used at WR, RB and wildcat QB, that we are using almost exclusively at WR? Here's a novel idea...... How about we draft players who were successful in college and let them play at the positions they had shown success at? Sometimes NFL coaches try to get to "cute" with their play calls and put players into positions they are not meant to be in. They try so hard to be innovative, that they don't see what they already have. 

What makes you think they don't see what they already have?

(05-16-2021, 12:08 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote:
(05-16-2021, 04:39 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Exactly, which is why I'm so confused about the Etienne selection. We have a guy who was a very successful RB (Etienne,) that we are now using primarily as a WR

Are we? Nothing Meyer said has indicated that. At best Etienne will be a weapon, only much better than Shenault.

(emphasis added)

I believe he'll be more explosive than Shenault.

Much better?  That remains to be seen.

I hope both develop highly and quickly under this regime.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!