Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(06-10-2021, 01:25 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 11:46 AM)p_rushing Wrote: And yet ever other trial they tried never got out of phase 1. Animals died so they just stopped testing.

mRNA could be great but everything so far shows its not ready and proper testing hasn't been done. They have no clue what happens in the future in humans.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Actually there have been several successful Phase 1 Clinical Trials regarding Zika, Rabies, Cytomegalovirus, and now Influenza. Human testing, not animal, and no fatalities. And those are just the vaccines, never mind the hundreds of studies past and ongoing for therapeutics. I can understand the distrust, but regardless, mRNA is going to change the face of medicine forever, we've had our seminal moment.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28754494/

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar...0X19305626

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2...ccines-Day
Sorry meant to say the company, not mRNA in general.

This has the ability to be great but modifying DNA when you don't fully understand it can be dangerous and it was rushed. Plus all the animals dying during testing for Sars vaccines.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It doesn't modify DNA.

(06-10-2021, 04:08 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: It doesn't modify DNA.

Nope, it just tells your cells what proteins they should create.

An outside substance telling our cells what to do should be a cause for concern.

(06-10-2021, 04:48 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:

An outside substance telling our cells what to do should be a cause for concern.

That's what most hormones do. Anyone taking Levothyroxine is taking a manufactured version of thyroxine that tells the cells what to do.

Actually, that's pretty much what happened to a lot of us when we were children when we ingested dirt and/or drank out of the garden hose.  As a child growing up I would often pick fruit out of the trees or vegetables out of the garden and just eat them without washing them.  Most people will wash their fruits and vegetables that they get from the grocery store before consuming them.

What happened to eating right, getting exercise and practicing normal hygiene (ie., wash your hands)?

Most people that are reasonably healthy and practice normal hygiene will be fine, even if they catch the China virus.  Part of the problem is a generation of children that never got their hands dirty or drank un-filtered water.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

There's always cause for concern in medical innovation both physically and ethically. When this innovation starts preventing cancer or treating Cystic Fibrosis in a few years? Wow! The really cool thing is that mRNA was originally proposed as a development mechanism for creating stem cells. If we can get to the point that we can use mRNA can create and direct the function of those cells? It's an amazing time to be alive.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 06-10-2021, 07:26 PM by copycat.)

(06-10-2021, 06:34 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 04:48 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Nope, it just tells your cells what proteins they should create.

There's always cause for concern in medical innovation both physically and ethically. When this innovation starts preventing cancer or treating Cystic Fibrosis in a few years? Wow! The really cool thing is that mRNA was originally proposed as a development mechanism for creating stem cells. If we can get to the point that we can use mRNA can create and direct the function of those cells? It's an amazing time to be alive.

From that aspect who could disagree.  My concern is how political this became so fast.  US funds lab researching corona viruses. Virus gets out.  Chinese keep it hushed while locking down country until after it leaps borders and then refuses to share info.  Sitting US President attempts to close borders opposing party pulls racist card.  Said President removes barriers to expedite research, opposing party says they will never trust the vaccine.  Vaccine passes new limited testing, manufacturers get a “zero liability” clause and then refuse to release the vaccine until after a hotly contested election has concluded.  New party in charge and now the same people that opposed the vaccines demand the country remain shutdown until everyone gets the vaccine.

I know I missed several items but NONE of this passes the smell test.  Oh and the vaccine still has not passed FDA approval.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

I don't mind the pandemic being the impetus for fast-tracking the mRNA vaccine. It makes sense. I am simply objecting to the speed at which our scientist want this thing to go global. There are natural motivators that corrupt common sense, and fear, greed, and power are ever present in our current scenario. I'd just like to take a step back, and enter into this cautiously.

I hope this vaccine is the future. It looks promising. I just am tired of our "experts" implementing stuff that always seems to advance their careers at the expense of the common man.

To copycat's point, I was mentioning this just the other day to my wife. I basically said something to the effect that if Trump had won, literally no democrats would be taking this vaccine, and the narrative would be 100% different. However, I don't feel that most conservatives would change their position on the vaccine. I think those at risk would roll the dice, and everyone else would take the wait-and-see approach (which is what we are currently doing). I said before the election that I had no plans to take the vaccine until I was able to measure it's efficacy.

(06-10-2021, 01:25 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 11:46 AM)p_rushing Wrote: And yet ever other trial they tried never got out of phase 1. Animals died so they just stopped testing.

mRNA could be great but everything so far shows its not ready and proper testing hasn't been done. They have no clue what happens in the future in humans.

Actually there have been several successful Phase 1 Clinical Trials regarding Zika, Rabies, Cytomegalovirus, and now Influenza. Human testing, not animal, and no fatalities. And those are just the vaccines, never mind the hundreds of studies past and ongoing for therapeutics. I can understand the distrust, but regardless, mRNA is going to change the face of medicine forever, we've had our seminal moment.

And some of us will let everyone who gets it be test subjects and see where they are in 10-20 years. 

My aversion on a personal level is just that. Personal. I don't get flu vaccines, or any others, because I have adverse reactions. I also never get the flu. If I do I'm one of those asymptomatic people. I'm almost 100% sure my mom had Covid in January or February 2020 and I was exposed and either never got it, or was asymptomatic. But my husband didn't get it and he's very susceptible to the flu, common cold, chest colds, etc., so I'm thinking I just didn't get it. Why on earth would someone like me get shot up with a bunch of unknown chemicals? 

There are people who have their conspiracy theory reasons, sure, but not everyone who doesn't trust the vaccine thinks it is one. That's like saying everyone who flies or displays an American flag is a MAGA Trump loving white supremacist. There are people who think that.

(06-11-2021, 03:45 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 01:25 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Actually there have been several successful Phase 1 Clinical Trials regarding Zika, Rabies, Cytomegalovirus, and now Influenza. Human testing, not animal, and no fatalities. And those are just the vaccines, never mind the hundreds of studies past and ongoing for therapeutics. I can understand the distrust, but regardless, mRNA is going to change the face of medicine forever, we've had our seminal moment.

And some of us will let everyone who gets it be test subjects and see where they are in 10-20 years. 

My aversion on a personal level is just that. Personal. I don't get flu vaccines, or any others, because I have adverse reactions. I also never get the flu. If I do I'm one of those asymptomatic people. I'm almost 100% sure my mom had Covid in January or February 2020 and I was exposed and either never got it, or was asymptomatic. But my husband didn't get it and he's very susceptible to the flu, common cold, chest colds, etc., so I'm thinking I just didn't get it. Why on earth would someone like me get shot up with a bunch of unknown chemicals? 

There are people who have their conspiracy theory reasons, sure, but not everyone who doesn't trust the vaccine thinks it is one. That's like saying everyone who flies or displays an American flag is a MAGA Trump loving white supremacist. There are people who think that.

That's a shame for you that you have reactions, but frankly speaking, people like you who are borderline unable to get the vaccines because of the reactions are part of the group of those who are protected when everyone who can get the shot gets the shot. Those who are way across that line (those who are allergic to eggs for instance) are the most obvious beneficiary group, but those who have aversion as you say are also helped when we actively vaccinate en masse to move us further towards herd immunity.

(06-10-2021, 08:37 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I don't mind the pandemic being the impetus for fast-tracking the mRNA vaccine. It makes sense. I am simply objecting to the speed at which our scientist want this thing to go global. There are natural motivators that corrupt common sense, and fear, greed, and power are ever present in our current scenario. I'd just like to take a step back, and enter into this cautiously.

I hope this vaccine is the future. It looks promising. I just am tired of our "experts" implementing stuff that always seems to advance their careers at the expense of the common man.

To copycat's point, I was mentioning this just the other day to my wife. I basically said something to the effect that if Trump had won, literally no democrats would be taking this vaccine, and the narrative would be 100% different. However, I don't feel that most conservatives would change their position on the vaccine. I think those at risk would roll the dice, and everyone else would take the wait-and-see approach (which is what we are currently doing). I said before the election that I had no plans to take the vaccine until I was able to measure it's efficacy.

I'm disgusted that medical innovation is being drowned in the swamp of politics and that it creates distrust by association.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I have a couple of very good friends that got the China virus and recovered from it.  Both are around my age (late 50's early 60's), retired and smokers.  The symptoms that they had were not even close to the symptoms I had after getting the shot.  Basically both were lethargic, one had a fever for a couple of days, aches and the other lost the sense of taste/smell.

I have another friend whose whole family got it including him.  He's in his middle/late 60's and in reasonable health.  He had aches and a slight fever for a couple of days and felt lethargic.  What is interesting is his son who is very young (30's) developed a heart condition.

The thing is that when this all started the MSM pushed the idea that if you get it, you were going to end up in the hospital on a ventilator.  That's simply not the case.

What is interesting is it seems that younger people can develop a heart condition from the vaccine.  That should alarm people (parents) with the way the vaccine is being pushed on children who aren't nearly likely to suffer adverse effects should they catch the China virus.

In my opinion this wearing a mask nonsense is just that.  Nonsense.  What happened to just washing your hands and not picking your nose?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 06-11-2021, 04:28 PM by americus 2.0.)

You're supposed to wash before picking your nose?

I saw a picture of Kate Middleton and Jill Biden sitting 6 feet away from each other and wearing masks. They've both been vaccinated. I saw a guy yesterday riding his bike and wearing a mask.  Vaccinated people wearing masks makes no damn sense.

(06-11-2021, 04:22 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: You're supposed to wash before picking your nose?

It's optional.

(06-11-2021, 04:26 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(06-11-2021, 04:22 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: You're supposed to wash before picking your nose?

It's optional.

If you use soap it ruins the flavor...

Disney announces mask free effective June 16th.

(06-11-2021, 07:40 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Disney announces mask free effective June 16th.

It should be because the policy they have now is senseless. We were at Epcot yesterday, no masks required unless indoors. The lines aren’t social distanced and the rides just barely so.

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2021, 04:58 AM by HandsomeRob86.)

I understand vaccine hesitancy with the COVID vaccine. That said, this has been the most scrutinized vaccine release I have ever seen. I am glad for that, cause vaccines deserved more scrutiny than they previously got. All that said, I think the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine are highly effective and very safe overall. Unless your under 12, I think the risk is less than the benefit for most people. No one has a great way to predict who will get COVID and end up with long term deficits like loss of taste or smell. Just cause you don’t die doesn’t mean it’s harmless to get infected. Yes the vaccines are immunogenic and make people feel sick for a day or two, but unlike long COVID, these symptoms go away almost always.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(06-13-2021, 04:15 AM)captivating Wrote: Strong leadership by Biden and the G7

1 billion vaccines to poorer countries and calling for a new investigation into the cause of COVID.

Strong showing?!?

You mean he didn't [BLEEP] his pants, call all black people poor and didn't oogle any little 6 year old girls that he thinks look 19?

Yeah, I suppose the looney left can call that a strong showing..

Seek help..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

I sure am glad we have Ron DeSantis as Governor. COVID has revealed Florida as an island of sanity. Who knew 18 months ago the land of the 'Florida Man' meme would transform into a refuge for people fleeing inept state governance.

Now let's hope the people coming here don't turn us into Oregon and Washington state.

(06-13-2021, 10:58 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I sure am glad we have Ron DeSantis as Governor. COVID has revealed Florida as an island of sanity. Who knew 18 months ago the land of the 'Florida Man' meme would transform into a refuge for people fleeing inept state governance.

Now let's hope the people coming here don't turn us into Oregon and Washington state.

And we were, 36,000?, votes away from it being MethMan Gillum instead.