Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Travis Etienne - Rd1, Pick 25

"Najee Harris says Steelers will play him everywhere, including wide receiver - ProFootballTalk" https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...eiver/amp/

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Huge things from underwear practice.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(06-14-2021, 05:49 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/HaysCarlyon/status/1...74977?s=19

So the same thing that we could have gotten from Carter Jr with our 4th rounder.

(06-14-2021, 09:51 PM)Upper Wrote:
(06-14-2021, 05:49 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/HaysCarlyon/status/1...74977?s=19

So the same thing that we could have gotten from Carter Jr with our 4th rounder.

You don't know that and you don't know who is going to be the better player. It is all speculation at this point.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(This post was last modified: 06-15-2021, 09:14 AM by The Real Marty.)

Possibly yes, probably no.

It's possible a 4th rounder can be as good as a 1st rounder, but not probable.

Can I get  tonight's lottery numbers too?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Different drafts, but Minshew is definitely better than Bortles, and Robinson is arguably better than Fournette.

With running backs the difference in a 1st and 4th round pick is not that great.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Is this really true though? At this point you sound like you're rooting against the player, which probably isn't the case. It isn't his fault the Jags made a poor draft value choice.

Would I rather have Barmore and Carter instead of Etienne and Tufele? Yes, but that isn't what happened.

I do think that Etienne will be significantly better than Carter, and that he will be fun to watch. I plan to just enjoy watching Etienne play and not hold his draft spot/ value against him. Feel free to rip Meyer/ Balke for the choice, but it just looks tacky and bitter to bring it up after positive news on the player.

(06-16-2021, 08:54 AM)rufftime Wrote:
(06-14-2021, 09:51 PM)Upper Wrote: So the same thing that we could have gotten from Carter Jr with our 4th rounder.

Is this really true though?  At this point you sound like you're rooting against the player, which probably isn't the case.  It isn't his fault the Jags made a poor draft value choice.

Would I rather have Barmore and Carter instead of Etienne and Tufele?  Yes, but that isn't what happened.  

I do think that Etienne will be significantly better than Carter, and that he will be fun to watch.  I plan to just enjoy watching Etienne play and not hold his draft spot/ value against him.  Feel free to rip Meyer/ Balke for the choice, but it just looks tacky and bitter to bring it up after positive news on the player.

This, Carter is a good back but he isnt on the same level as Etienne.  Etienne is an elite back, if he turns out to be one of the premire backs in this league it was the right pick.  Etienne i feel will be a difference maker and a game breaker which is what Meyer wants, i dont see Carter being that.

Not to mention hindsight 20/20, when you are drafting you d9nt know who will be available in the later rounds. GMs didnt know if Carter would be there in the 4th just like teams didnt know if Tufele would be there

(06-15-2021, 08:31 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(06-14-2021, 09:51 PM)Upper Wrote: So the same thing that we could have gotten from Carter Jr with our 4th rounder.

Possibly yes, probably no.

Over the 10-12 years that I've been paying attention to this trend it has gone through cycles wherein 4th round and later picks do quite well for a few years and cycles where 1st and 2nd rd picks dominate the top rushers lists.

The past several years we've seen early picks dominate with a few outliers like Conner, Lindsay, Carson, Mack, Aaron Jones and James Robinson. 

In a couple of previous cycles the balance of early picks to "4th or later" guys has been balanced differently. 
2014 was the most recent year that the top rushers were replete with later picks.
(Morris, Miller, Foster, Forsett, Murray**)   
**Murray was a third rounder. 
In 2015 there were 4 later picks including Murray, then it drops off until the present where higher picks dominate the top ten. Most years have 2 or 3 later picks in the top ten. 

But here is the compelling thing that still keeps me on the side which advocates for selecting RBs with later picks:

Most of these 1st and 2nd round picks make that list for one or two seasons.  (some never make it)
Then their production drops markedly. Some of them quickly out of the league or bouncing from camp to camp each offseason never to regain form. 
This has to be factored into their value. They are adversely affected by injury, take more punishment than other positions, and by most accounts are easily replaced with serviceable, productive backups compared to other spots. 

That said -  I'm still anxious and excited to see what Etienne can bring to the table in this offense. I wouldn't have picked him but I'm hopeful he'll make me glad we did. 
I felt the same about Fournette whom I advocated more strongly against taking and I was severely disappointed in the end as I originally expected to be. 
Hope it's different this time. Etienne looks like a more well rounded prospect.

Etienne is definitely going to be better than Fournette simply because he is built for this era and not 1960s football.

If it wasn't for the fact that he is going to be demanding a 15M+ contract as soon as we will hopefully be entering our prime contention window he could be a fine pick. Unfortunately that upside is always going to be capped because of how it's going to hamper our team building abilities when we most need that flexibility.

(06-16-2021, 09:41 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(06-16-2021, 08:54 AM)rufftime Wrote: Is this really true though?  At this point you sound like you're rooting against the player, which probably isn't the case.  It isn't his fault the Jags made a poor draft value choice.

Would I rather have Barmore and Carter instead of Etienne and Tufele?  Yes, but that isn't what happened.  

I do think that Etienne will be significantly better than Carter, and that he will be fun to watch.  I plan to just enjoy watching Etienne play and not hold his draft spot/ value against him.  Feel free to rip Meyer/ Balke for the choice, but it just looks tacky and bitter to bring it up after positive news on the player.

This, Carter is a good back but he isnt on the same level as Etienne.  Etienne is an elite back, if he turns out to be one of the premire backs in this league it was the right pick.  Etienne i feel will be a difference maker and a game breaker which is what Meyer wants, i dont see Carter being that.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(06-16-2021, 11:55 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(06-16-2021, 09:41 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: This, Carter is a good back but he isnt on the same level as Etienne.  Etienne is an elite back, if he turns out to be one of the premire backs in this league it was the right pick.  Etienne i feel will be a difference maker and a game breaker which is what Meyer wants, i dont see Carter being that.

There is a reason he is ACC all time leading rusher

(06-16-2021, 04:07 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(06-16-2021, 11:55 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Laughing 

There is a reason he is ACC all time leading rusher

"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(06-16-2021, 11:55 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(06-16-2021, 09:41 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: This, Carter is a good back but he isnt on the same level as Etienne.  Etienne is an elite back, if he turns out to be one of the premire backs in this league it was the right pick.  Etienne i feel will be a difference maker and a game breaker which is what Meyer wants, i dont see Carter being that.

Just go root for another team for god's sake!

(06-16-2021, 05:51 PM)Jags32250 Wrote:
(06-16-2021, 11:55 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Laughing Laughing Laughing

Just go root for another team for god's sake!

Make me