Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Wilson Struggles

Trevor Lawrence will always be compared to Zach Wilson because of where they were drafted, and because some people, notably Chris Simms, thought Wilson was the better choice.  Learning to play NFL QB is not an easy thing, and many very successful QBs struggle early.  That said, Wilson struggled in the Jets' in-stadium scrimmage.  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/3198...-not-great

"After three months of buildup, [font=Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif]New York Jets rookie quarterback Zach Wilson made his debut Saturday night at MetLife Stadium. It was a dud.[/font]
In the annual Green & White practice before a crowd of nearly 20,000, Wilson, the No. 2 overall draft pick, threw two interceptions and led the starting offense to only three points in seven possessions.
Facing the first-team defense, the Jets' presumptive starter completed 11 of 24 passes for 112 yards in the two-hour session. There was no live tackling, but it was a simulated game."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Glad you posted this.

Upon reading this, I wanted to get a chuckle so I read the Jets board. They didn't let me down.

I take a little solace in the fact there hasn't been wholesale panic here because TL had a bad practice.

Of course we all want TL to succeed wildly. But having the occasional bad practice is part of becoming successful.

First off the stop up from college to pro is considerable. The speed and athleticism is higher in the pros. What may be considered covered in college might be wide open in the pros. The windows close much faster.
QBs making that leap have to learn what they can and can't get away with.. It's practice. Defense have seen the same guys running the same guys run the same plays running the same routes since June. There will be plays they guess right. Furthermore, because of the time and preparation disparity between college and the NFL, there are far more defenses and coverages an NFL QB has to face.

To me, it's better QBs make the mistakes in practice rather than in games.

I want TL to do well today. But I won't panic if he has a bad scrimmage. For that matter, I won't gloat because Wilson struggled.

Okay maybe a little.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I still can't believe that some people wanted Wilson over Lawrence (looking at you TheOlineMatters) when the talent gap and body-of-work between both players is SIGNIFICANTLY large.

I get that the Jets fans and national media are pushing this narrative as a coping mechanism of losing out on Lawrence - but deep down, they all know that Trevor is franchise altering QB and that the "lowly Jaguars" got him.

The more the media pushes this idea, the happier it makes me because you know it irks them that Trevor is not in NY.

There were some reports of Wilson having a couple really good days mixed in there too. I think we're seeing the advantage of Lawrence being in the building sooner and his offseason work with the receiving corps. I still think Wilson is going to be pretty darn good, Mims is the recent high pick of theirs I think is really looking scary bad.

(This post was last modified: 08-08-2021, 08:29 AM by Bullseye.)

(08-08-2021, 07:03 AM)enigma Wrote: I still can't believe that some people wanted Wilson over Lawrence (looking at you TheOlineMatters) when the talent gap and body-of-work between both players is SIGNIFICANTLY large.

I get that the Jets fans and national media are pushing this narrative as a coping mechanism of losing out on Lawrence - but deep down, they all know that Trevor is franchise altering QB and that the "lowly Jaguars" got him.

The more the media pushes this idea, the happier it makes me because you know it irks them that Trevor is not in NY.

Understood completely.  I am with you on that.

My only thing is that either way, a bad practice or two in a QBs rookie season should not excessively push the narrative with media or fans.

(08-08-2021, 08:11 AM)Upper Wrote: There were some reports of Wilson having a couple really good days mixed in there too. I think we're seeing the advantage of Lawrence being in the building sooner and his offseason work with the receiving corps. I still think Wilson is going to be pretty darn good, Mims is the recent high pick of theirs I think is really looking scary bad.

Moore has also looked really good for the Jets so far based on what I've read.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Yeah I’d celebrate this but I know the same thing can happen to Trevor Lawrence

(08-08-2021, 08:51 AM)Black and Teal Wrote: Yeah I’d celebrate this but I know the same thing can happen to Trevor Lawrence

Ok now I will

J-E-T-S SUCK SUCK SUCK.

Thank you, Adam Gase!

[Image: adfead70827ee2b50c314e4b0b069ae6.gif]

Preseason games will be a good judge. Its more of a real game situation.

(08-08-2021, 07:03 AM)enigma Wrote: I still can't believe that some people wanted Wilson over Lawrence (looking at you TheOlineMatters) when the talent gap and body-of-work between both players is SIGNIFICANTLY large.

Someone needs to work on their reading comprehension skills. Go back and look at my old posts. Once we locked down the #1 pick, I was always in favor of drafting Trevor Lawrence. I just didn't think we'd get the chance. I was sure The Jets were gonna pick #1. What I actually said was that I believed Wilson had a slightly higher ceiling than Lawrence, but that he would take more time to get there. I believed Lawrence was gonna be better, in a quicker period of time, but Wilson may end his career with slightly better stats. I definitely saw Lawrence as the safer pick and since I am not a gambling man, I will always take the "sure thing." 

I don't know how many times my words have been twisted in this regard. When I believed we were picking #2, I was all in on Wilson, because I still believe he was without question, the 2nd best QB option in the draft. Once we got that #1 selection though, it was a whole new ballgame. I never thought Lawrence was in play for us, until we actually locked in that #1 pick. I thought for sure we'd do something to screw it up, like we normally do. Lawrence was the safer pick and I will always take the safer pick. My post from the end of the season all the way up to the draft, shows this. 

I still think both QB's will have long and successful NFL careers. Remember, both are rookies and will have many bad games along the way. That is part of growth. Peyton Manning had a miserable rookie season and he just went in the HOF. Rookie seasons like the one Justin Herbert had are almost unheard of. People shouldn't expect that for either of these guys. I just expect to see improvements from Lawrence from the beginning of the season to the end. I have no statistical expectations what so ever. 

Those are the facts.

Well, if you google "Zach Wilson" and click on "news" you can see that Jets fans and commentators are a bit worried.

(08-10-2021, 08:33 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Well, if you google "Zach Wilson" and click on "news" you can see that Jets fans and commentators are a bit worried.

I think people put way too many unrealistic expectations on rookie QB's who are chosen in round 1. They expect all of them to come out of the gate playing like Tom Brady. Guys like Justin Herbert are the exception to the rule and are as rare as getting hit by lightning. Fans are so passionate about their teams though and have such high expectations, that they wanna jump off a bridge if any unexpected road blocks get in their way. We're all guilty of it at one point or another. I've been the same way, but as I get older, I am learning to set all expectations aside and just look for steady improvement. If this happens, eventually we will get to where we wanna be. 

New York fans in particular, feel as though they should be good all the time, because they are "America's City." They have this entitlement about their teams and as a fan of a smaller franchise, I like watching those big fan bases fall into chaos.

(08-10-2021, 10:25 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-10-2021, 08:33 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Well, if you google "Zach Wilson" and click on "news" you can see that Jets fans and commentators are a bit worried.

I think people put way too many unrealistic expectations on rookie QB's who are chosen in round 1. They expect all of them to come out of the gate playing like Tom Brady. Guys like Justin Herbert are the exception to the rule and are as rare as getting hit by lightning. Fans are so passionate about their teams though and have such high expectations, that they wanna jump off a bridge if any unexpected road blocks get in their way. We're all guilty of it at one point or another. I've been the same way, but as I get older, I am learning to set all expectations aside and just look for steady improvement. If this happens, eventually we will get to where we wanna be. 

New York fans in particular, feel as though they should be good all the time, because they are "America's City." They have this entitlement about their teams and as a fan of a smaller franchise, I like watching those big fan bases fall into chaos.

I agree in principle. Folks expect too much from rookies in general many times. The Josh Allen overreactions are a great example. 
I watched 4 or 5 games from his rookie year and thought "if he can be more at ease mentally and cut the number of overthrows in half, he'll easily be worth the pick" 
So many folks went straight to "he's trash" 
I'll never understand that line of thinking.

And yes, NY fans are indeed tragically demanding and merciless by and large.
 I never rooted for any of the teams while living there and a few transplants that I knew who became giants and yankee fans caught hell from me for doing so.

(This post was last modified: 08-10-2021, 01:01 PM by enigma. Edited 2 times in total.)

(08-10-2021, 04:27 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Someone needs to work on their reading comprehension skills. Go back and look at my old posts. Once we locked down the #1 pick, I was always in favor of drafting Trevor Lawrence. I just didn't think we'd get the chance. I was sure The Jets were gonna pick #1. What I actually said was that I believed Wilson had a slightly higher ceiling than Lawrence, but that he would take more time to get there. I believed Lawrence was gonna be better, in a quicker period of time, but Wilson may end his career with slightly better stats. I definitely saw Lawrence as the safer pick and since I am not a gambling man, I will always take the "sure thing." 

I don't know how many times my words have been twisted in this regard. When I believed we were picking #2, I was all in on Wilson, because I still believe he was without question, the 2nd best QB option in the draft. Once we got that #1 selection though, it was a whole new ballgame. I never thought Lawrence was in play for us, until we actually locked in that #1 pick. I thought for sure we'd do something to screw it up, like we normally do. Lawrence was the safer pick and I will always take the safer pick. My post from the end of the season all the way up to the draft, shows this. 

I still think both QB's will have long and successful NFL careers. Remember, both are rookies and will have many bad games along the way. That is part of growth. Peyton Manning had a miserable rookie season and he just went in the HOF. Rookie seasons like the one Justin Herbert had are almost unheard of. People shouldn't expect that for either of these guys. I just expect to see improvements from Lawrence from the beginning of the season to the end. I have no statistical expectations what so ever. 

Those are the facts.

Don't backtrack or move the goalposts now O-line. I called you out on your words/posts and have not twisted them in any way - and I won't let it go because of how farcical they were.

Those comments were made when we had the #1 pick also. I brought up the relevant posts months ago to show you, so you're more then welcome to go through the history because I've already done it once but now its funny how a few months time passes by and are singing a completely different tune. I remember engaging with another poster regarding your sentiments about Wilson > Lawrence (mind you, when we had the 1st pick) and how you were trying to make the contrarian draft "assessment". It's all good man, just own up to it.

And this has nothing to do with reading comprehension my friend because you've added more details now and even after the posts in which I already pointed out how wrong you were on Lawrence initially.

(This post was last modified: 08-10-2021, 01:50 PM by TheO-LineMatters. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-10-2021, 01:00 PM)enigma Wrote:
(08-10-2021, 04:27 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Someone needs to work on their reading comprehension skills. Go back and look at my old posts. Once we locked down the #1 pick, I was always in favor of drafting Trevor Lawrence. I just didn't think we'd get the chance. I was sure The Jets were gonna pick #1. What I actually said was that I believed Wilson had a slightly higher ceiling than Lawrence, but that he would take more time to get there. I believed Lawrence was gonna be better, in a quicker period of time, but Wilson may end his career with slightly better stats. I definitely saw Lawrence as the safer pick and since I am not a gambling man, I will always take the "sure thing." 

Those are the facts.

Don't backtrack or move the goalposts now O-line. I called you out on your words/posts and have not twisted them in any way - and I won't let it go because of how farcical they were.

Those comments were made when we had the #1 pick also. I brought up the relevant posts months ago to show you, so you're more then welcome to go through the history because I've already done it once but now its funny how a few months time passes by and are singing a completely different tune. I remember engaging with another poster regarding your sentiments about Wilson > Lawrence (mind you, when we had the 1st pick) and how you were trying to make the contrarian draft "assessment". It's all good man, just own up to it.

And this has nothing to do with reading comprehension my friend because you've added more details now and even after the posts in which I already pointed out how wrong you were on Lawrence initially.

I'm not backtracking at all. Read the actual posts and use your brain. You are either lying or you aren't intelligent enough to comprehend what I actually posted. I know what I said. You are just looking for a fight. Some posters on here are just trolls and I guess you fall into that category. If you want to continue being a troll, you can do it in silence. I don't have time or energy to deal with people who twist facts. Blocked.

(This post was last modified: 08-10-2021, 02:53 PM by Brett.)

It boggles my mind why anyone judges a rookie QB or any player at any position this quickly. Every year we seem to learn our lesson and then people fall back into the rabbit hole again. It's a cycle.

3 years. Give it that long to judge an NFL player.

(08-10-2021, 04:27 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Those are the facts.

That's what I remember you saying tbh.

Kinda disgusting how people seem to want Wilson to fail or just enjoy the guy having a hard time.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(08-10-2021, 05:47 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(08-10-2021, 04:27 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Someone needs to work on their reading comprehension skills. Go back and look at my old posts. Once we locked down the #1 pick, I was always in favor of drafting Trevor Lawrence. I just didn't think we'd get the chance. I was sure The Jets were gonna pick #1. What I actually said was that I believed Wilson had a slightly higher ceiling than Lawrence, but that he would take more time to get there. I believed Lawrence was gonna be better, in a quicker period of time, but Wilson may end his career with slightly better stats. I definitely saw Lawrence as the safer pick and since I am not a gambling man, I will always take the "sure thing." 

Those are the facts.

That's what I remember you saying tbh.

Kinda disgusting how people seem to want Wilson to fail or just enjoy the guy having a hard time.

Yes, your posting towards Yannick over the last year and a half has been so much more altruistic lol.