Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(08-23-2021, 12:33 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Another instance of someone ill or dying with the virus expressing regret for not getting vaccinated and urging others to get it. 

Besides, the third arm I've grown since getting mine has come in very handy (ooh, pun).

Conservative talk show host Phil Valentine dies after COVID-19 battle | WKRN News 2

It grew below the belt?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-23-2021, 12:52 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(08-23-2021, 12:33 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Another instance of someone ill or dying with the virus expressing regret for not getting vaccinated and urging others to get it. 

Besides, the third arm I've grown since getting mine has come in very handy (ooh, pun).

Conservative talk show host Phil Valentine dies after COVID-19 battle | WKRN News 2

It grew below the belt?

No, but it has the reach.

I always wanted to be able to scratch that spot riiiiigggghhttt in the middle of my back...
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-23-2021, 01:28 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I always wanted to be able to scratch that spot riiiiigggghhttt in the middle of my back...

I mean that's what our tails are for.

...everyone else has one too, right?

(This post was last modified: 08-23-2021, 04:08 PM by Lucky2Last.)

(08-23-2021, 11:15 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-22-2021, 09:54 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Parents kids can wear a mask if they want, dude. DeSantis has done a pretty good job of following the science. There are multiple studies now that show the inefficiency of cloth masks and plexiglass for children. Additionally, there are new studies that emphasize the necessity of facial recognition in child development. You completely ignore that because you blindly follow a political narrative. If the school district wants to mandate it for the adults, go ahead. If parents want to make their kids wear a mask, go ahead. He is simply saying  you can't make kids wear something when the data doesn't support it.

Especially when you consider that this disease doesn't really affect kids. I know, I know... what about their grandma. She can get vaccinated.

Hep-derp diarrhea as usual. 
There are studies refuting your study as well as clear guidelines from NIH and CDC that you've dismissed due to your own bias. 
 Also, congratulations on missing the broader point. 

And please stop telling me what I'm ignoring. It's a tired deflection you weakly overuse.  You're a fool to presume what I've read, discerned and considered carefully. Don't pretend to know.

I have to presume what you've read because you never post anything of value. You and Winger Dinger are two sides of the same coin. All pomp. No substance.

Isn't this everyone that makes a decision. The problem with every pro vaxxer is that they assume there is no risk to taking the vaccine. That's not true. You don't think we could do the same thing with people that regret taking it? That's not evidence of anything.

When you say you "Trust the Scientists"

Do you... Trust the Tobacco industry scientists? Trust the Coca-Cola scientists? Trust the Opioid scientists? Trust the Animal Factory Farming scientists? Trust the Coal industry scientists? Trust the Big Oil scientists? Trust the Fracking scientists? Or just the ones the media tells you to trust?
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(08-22-2021, 05:34 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-22-2021, 04:47 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Yay?

Just keeping an eye on the looming dance between DeSantis and the feds as counties defy DeSantis and he [BLEEP] with their funding

It could get weird.
(08-22-2021, 09:49 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-22-2021, 06:20 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: It makes for good television. LOL.

I was thinking more along the lines of federal dollars earmarked for schools in our state being illegally withheld by an [BLEEP] governor on a petty power trip about masks that millions of FL parents want their children to wear at school. 

Maybe that’s funny to you. I think it’s a shame that the quality of our schools, the meager wage of our teachers, and the safety of FL children are all being pissed upon by our governor pointlessly.

Where you are wrong is that the Governor isn't saying that "masks aren't allowed", what he is saying is that it should be up to the parents to decide if they want their children masked or not.  I have a real problem with a government entity, in this case public schools mandating a policy that is not based on science.  It's more of a "conform or else" kind of thing rather than a health based thing.

It's obvious that you don't like our Governor and don't agree with his policies, but I do.  People should be empowered to make their own choices for themselves and their children when it comes to health based decisions.  It should be between the person, or in the case their children and their physician.  Government needs to stay out of it.

(08-23-2021, 11:15 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-22-2021, 09:54 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Parents kids can wear a mask if they want, dude. DeSantis has done a pretty good job of following the science. There are multiple studies now that show the inefficiency of cloth masks and plexiglass for children. Additionally, there are new studies that emphasize the necessity of facial recognition in child development. You completely ignore that because you blindly follow a political narrative. If the school district wants to mandate it for the adults, go ahead. If parents want to make their kids wear a mask, go ahead. He is simply saying  you can't make kids wear something when the data doesn't support it.

Especially when you consider that this disease doesn't really affect kids. I know, I know... what about their grandma. She can get vaccinated.

Hep-derp diarrhea as usual. 
There are studies refuting your study as well as clear guidelines from NIH and CDC that you've dismissed due to your own bias. 

And please stop telling me what I'm ignoring. It's a tired deflection you weakly overuse.  You're a fool to presume what I've read, discerned and considered carefully. Don't pretend to know.

Both of those agencies need to go.  They are redundant and often have conflicting information.  Do we listen to NIH or CDC?  After all, both entities fall under HHS.  The other problem is that HHS is a government entity with leaders appointed by the current administration so it's political.

So perhaps your are missing something due to your bias?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Not sure if this article was ever posted in here or not, but it's a really good explanation in terms someone like me can understand of why the Delta variant is so much more contagious and why vaccinated people are still getting infected.  In addition, it explains why the vaccine can still help prevent the spread due how the viral load is carried in a vaccinated vs. unvaccinated person: Article

(08-23-2021, 04:03 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote:
(08-23-2021, 11:15 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Hep-derp diarrhea as usual. 

I have to presume what you've read because you never post anything of value. You and Winger Dinger are two sides of the same coin. All pomp. No substance.

Isn't this everyone that makes a decision. The problem with every pro vaxxer is that they assume there is no risk to taking the vaccine. That's not true. You don't think we could do the same thing with people that regret taking it? That's not evidence of anything.

You're absolutely right, that isn't true.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-23-2021, 04:30 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Both of those agencies need to go.  They are redundant and often have conflicting information.  Do we listen to NIH or CDC?  After all, both entities fall under HHS.  The other problem is that HHS is a government entity with leaders appointed by the current administration so it's political.

They also both have patents and makes lots of money each year from vaccines. There is a reason they shouldn't be trusted. They get money from big pharma also individually and as an agency. Any independent oversight would raise a bunch of red flags.

(This post was last modified: 08-23-2021, 07:11 PM by homebiscuit.)

(08-23-2021, 04:35 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: Not sure if this article was ever posted in here or not, but it's a really good explanation in terms someone like me can understand of why the Delta variant is so much more contagious and why vaccinated people are still getting infected.  In addition, it explains why the vaccine can still help prevent the spread due how the viral load is carried in a vaccinated vs. unvaccinated person: Article

Good article. Thanks for that.

(08-23-2021, 04:51 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-23-2021, 04:03 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I have to presume what you've read because you never post anything of value. You and Winger Dinger are two sides of the same coin. All pomp. No substance.

You're absolutely right, that isn't true.

Every pro vaxxer? You know better than to make broad brush statements. 

I fully realize there is risk in taking the vaccine. But unless you're a person who has a history of vaccine reactions or have identifiable comorbidities that are known to be incompatible with this vaccine, the risk of getting the virus outweighs the risk of the vaccine. Too many people aren't getting the vaccine who could because of warped beliefs or the garbage they're being fed from bad sources like social media.

(This post was last modified: 08-23-2021, 07:49 PM by Lucky2Last.)

I retract the use of every in my previous post. I think it's safe to use majority in its stead.

Now, to my point, the ARR of the vaccine is not nearly as great as you think, which, imo, is the real measure of risk one is taking by choosing not to get the vaccine. That risk goes up if one actually catches Covid, but no one in the medical community is really doing any big picture thinking. I get the benefit of RRR, but it's not the most useful tool when looking at the pandemic as a whole. You are very unlikely to die from Covid. Period. It is clear that the unvaccinated are at a much higher risk of being hospitalized from Covid than the vaccinated once they catch it. That is unquestionable. But, when you are comparing the entirety of the population, that number shrinks drastically. By fixating on the one and not the other, people have an overinflated perception of the actual risk. You need to know both to make sound decisions, yet the CDC and NIH are only releasing the one. These groups have proven they are inept.

People will die from Covid. It's just pretty rare. I hope it's not me. The fact that it hit the whole community so quickly can create complications, especially with the emergency rooms. That problem is solvable. If/when this disease mutates into something that becomes seriously deadly for my age/risk group, I will take the vaccine instead. And, once again, the risk of this vaccine exists primarily in the future. No one is being told about the risk of ADE. Many people who have gotten the vaccine haven't even heard of ADE. I think there is something unethical about that.

(08-23-2021, 04:35 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: Not sure if this article was ever posted in here or not, but it's a really good explanation in terms someone like me can understand of why the Delta variant is so much more contagious and why vaccinated people are still getting infected.  In addition, it explains why the vaccine can still help prevent the spread due how the viral load is carried in a vaccinated vs. unvaccinated person: Article

I appreciate the clarity with which he lays out information. I knew the viral load in the vaccinated had to be high. It also makes sense that it doesn't last as long, which may explain why some of the studies FSG were linking were wrong in one sense, but correct in another.

(08-23-2021, 04:03 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote:

No

No one forces a fool to presume. They do it on their own. I've refuted your idiocy multiple times here with clear and basic facts only for you to tie yourself into a pretzel with backpedaling, deflection and moving goalposts.

(08-23-2021, 04:30 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(08-22-2021, 05:34 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Just keeping an eye on the looming dance between DeSantis and the feds as counties defy DeSantis and he [BLEEP] with their funding

It could get weird.
(08-22-2021, 09:49 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I was thinking more along the lines of federal dollars earmarked for schools in our state being illegally withheld by an [BLEEP] governor on a petty power trip about masks that millions of FL parents want their children to wear at school. 

Maybe that’s funny to you. I think it’s a shame that the quality of our schools, the meager wage of our teachers, and the safety of FL children are all being pissed upon by our governor pointlessly.

Where you are wrong is that the Governor isn't saying that "masks aren't allowed", what he is saying is that it should be up to the parents to decide if they want their children masked or not.  I have a real problem with a government entity, in this case public schools mandating a policy that is not based on science.  It's more of a "conform or else" kind of thing rather than a health based thing.

It's obvious that you don't like our Governor and don't agree with his policies, but I do.  People should be empowered to make their own choices for themselves and their children when it comes to health based decisions.  It should be between the person, or in the case their children and their physician.  Government needs to stay out of it.

Both of those agencies need to go.  They are redundant and often have conflicting information.  Do we listen to NIH or CDC?  After all, both entities fall under HHS.  The other problem is that HHS is a government entity with leaders appointed by the current administration so it's political.

Read and comprehend and don't put words in my mouth, please. I said zero about "masks aren't allowed." 

He's trying to outlaw mandates on masks by school boards and/or local gov't. Not the same thing and I was perfectly clear. 

You're also implying what you think I feel about DeSantis' other policies, and doing so inaccurately. I align with him on a number of things. 

Here's the thing folks need to consider about his misstep on banning mask mandates by schools:

If you are sending your fifth grader to school in FL, do you think he/she is more protected in a classroom full of 100% masked kids and teachers or one with 20-30% masked participants? 

Because this is where millions of FL parents and school board members choose to err on the side of caution. Desantis wants to punish that caution with illegally withheld funding. It's pretty simple.

(08-23-2021, 10:52 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-23-2021, 04:03 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I have to presume what you've read because you never post anything of value. You and Winger Dinger are two sides of the same coin. All pomp. No substance.

No

No one forces a fool to presume. They do it on their own. I've refuted your idiocy multiple times here with clear and basic facts only for you to tie yourself into a pretzel with backpedaling, deflection and moving goalposts.

This is pretty much the extent of your "refuting." This and spell checks. Not sure where your confidence comes from. The only thing you've ever proven is that you're a vitriolic person.

(08-24-2021, 12:57 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote:
(08-23-2021, 10:52 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: No

This is pretty much the extent of your "refuting." This and spell checks. Not sure where your confidence comes from. The only thing you've ever proven is that you're a vitriolic person.
Your idiocy and my vitriol aside - 

Answer a simple question, please. 

If you had a child entering the fifth grade this week, would you feel your child were more safe in a classroom full of masked students and teacher(s)? - or would you feel they are more safe/just as safe in a classroom wherein "some" kids and/or teachers wore masks and many others did not?
Bear in mind  ~9 months of classes in this environment. 

Now consider that neither your opinion nor my opinion really mean much here, but rather the opinions of millions of parents and hundreds of school board members with sway and real action in this game. 

Should those opinions be squelched by an order against mask mandates in schools based on some study that thousands of epidemiologists contradict?

LESS THAN HALF (48%) of American Adults believe public health officials when they speak about vaccines as being safe.

A MAJORITY of Americans (52%) either believe public health officials are LYING (32%) or are NOT SURE if they are LYING (20%) about the safety of these vaccines.

- Rasmussrm

(This post was last modified: 08-24-2021, 08:23 AM by KingIngram052787. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-24-2021, 07:48 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: LESS THAN HALF (48%) of American Adults believe public health officials when they speak about vaccines as being safe.

A MAJORITY of Americans (52%) either believe public health officials are LYING (32%) or are NOT SURE if they are LYING (20%) about the safety of these vaccines.

- Rasmussrm

This is why the message from public officials needs to be to TALK TO YOUR DOCTORS.  By and large, doctors would recommend taking the vaccine for their patients, with some exceptions.

(08-24-2021, 08:22 AM)KingIngram052787 Wrote:
(08-24-2021, 07:48 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: LESS THAN HALF (48%) of American Adults believe public health officials when they speak about vaccines as being safe.

- Rasmussrm

This is why the message from public officials needs to be to TALK TO YOUR DOCTORS.  By and large, doctors would recommend taking the vaccine for their patients, with some exceptions.

I don't totally disagree with you, but these are the same doctors that push specific meds because they get kickbacks from the smoking hot pharma rep that is in the office every day pushing the latest meds.

(08-24-2021, 01:34 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-24-2021, 12:57 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: This is pretty much the extent of your "refuting." This and spell checks. Not sure where your confidence comes from. The only thing you've ever proven is that you're a vitriolic person.
Your idiocy and my vitriol aside - 

Answer a simple question, please. 

If you had a child entering the fifth grade this week, would you feel your child were more safe in a classroom full of masked students and teacher(s)? - or would you feel they are more safe/just as safe in a classroom wherein "some" kids and/or teachers wore masks and many others did not?
Bear in mind  ~9 months of classes in this environment. 

Now consider that neither your opinion nor my opinion really mean much here, but rather the opinions of millions of parents and hundreds of school board members with sway and real action in this game. 

Should those opinions be squelched by an order against mask mandates in schools based on some study that thousands of epidemiologists contradict?

I understand the reasoning behind a mask mandate. If a mask is well fitted, it will limit the spread of breath. It won't protect the user from the air they are inhaling unless it's an N95. So, any person wearing a mask is doing so to protect others, and it only works if everyone is using them. With the delta variant, it takes 1 minute of exposure to infect another person. So, every kid who doesn't wear their mask properly ALL the time is going to spread their airborne germs all over the room. Considering the competency of children, it won't take long before everyone in class is sharing germs anyways.

The studies that look at classroom effectiveness of mask wearing all show inconclusive evidence that it does anything at all. You know how you guys keep ignoring my posts about ivermectin and vitamin D because the studies are inconclusive? Can you apply the same standard to mask wearing? Look at the countries that don't have mask wearing for children: UK, Isreal, Denmark, Spain, Italy, Iceland, South Korea, France... just to name a few. 

Kids have practically 0% chance of going to the hospital from Covid. I mean, they can... It's just really, really rare. The kids who get really sick from Covid are almost all immuno-compromised somehow. That alone would assuage the majority of concerns I have. The flu is more deadly for children than Covid. Were you clamoring for masks back then? No. You weren't. And the reason you weren't is because the media wasn't being irresponsible about it. The mask wearing for kids and school lockdowns was initially to protect grandma, remember? Well, she can get vaxxed if she wants. It's amazing how the goal posts have shifted. 

This whole thing is a lesson in fear mongering. Our institutions have proven themselves to be inept. The mask wearing debate is just another issue that has become politicized in the US. So to answer your question. No. I don't feel like my child is more safe in a masked environment. I think it's simply another measure that is being taken because people are afraid, and fear is not rational. Can my kid get seriously sick? Yes. The same way they can get seriously injured in a car accident. I still drive them places. 

You know, there are tests out there that are easy to use, cheap, and fairly accurate. They aren't as accurate as the nasal swabs we have been using, but they are pretty good for what we need. We could be doing daily testing in schools instead of mask wearing. But.... we aren't. Because it's political, and no one is really looking for ideal solutions. Have kids spit on a swab when they get to school. If they test positive, send them home until they don't anymore. It's not rocket science.