Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Urban's Interesting Statement - O Line pretty good

(This post was last modified: 08-24-2021, 04:19 AM by Bullseye.)

(08-24-2021, 01:07 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: https://twitter.com/LaurieFitzptrck/stat...60896?s=19

Big Yikes

Another near total catastrophic OL failure.

Bartch isn't ready, and Taylor was a disaster on the play.

(08-23-2021, 11:21 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I lobbied for FA $$ to be spent on pass pro (specifically OT and RG ) and for a high draft pick (25)

We got Little.  Which is significant, but not enough given the pass pro issues leading to our current continued issues.

Welp...  I do believe Bevell has plenty of plays ready to go that will not lay these issues as bare and naked as they currently appear. But it will have to be paired with better protection from the line in order to be significantly better. Fingers crossed.

(Emphasis added)

I give you credit because you DID lobby for OL help.

But I chuckle at your use of the first person singular form here.

WE...meaning a significant portion of this board---pushed desperately for OL in free agency and/or the draft.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-24-2021, 01:07 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: https://twitter.com/LaurieFitzptrck/stat...60896?s=19

Big Yikes

Verifies what I thought I was seeing while watching the game.

When Trevor had time and a pocket he was okay, but there were way too many times when he didn't have those things.

Maybe taking a coach that knew nothing about NFL football and making them the head of all football operations was a dumb idea.   Sick

On this flip side, maybe this will be the impetus that causes Trevor to start throwing his receivers open. I still feel like he's holding onto the ball too long. He needs to just start ripping it in there and risk those INTs for the first couple years. Better than getting hit.

(08-24-2021, 02:38 AM)JagSwag Wrote: Is it possible that Meyer still hasn’t quite taken his college hat off yet? When he evaluates our players is he comparing them to NFL players or college athletes, so he’s automatically sold on just physical traits and overlooked the necessity of actual football talent.

This is very possible, even likely, maybe certain.

(08-23-2021, 11:21 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I lobbied for FA $$ to be spent on pass pro (specifically OT and RG ) and for a high draft pick (25)

We got Little.  Which is significant, but not enough given the pass pro issues leading to our current continued issues.

Welp...  I do believe Bevell has plenty of plays ready to go that will not lay these issues as bare and naked as they currently appear. But it will have to be paired with better protection from the line in order to be significantly better. Fingers crossed.

Me too. I still can't believe we let Reily Reiff go to the Bengals for next to nothing. He would've been a huge upgrade over either Cam or Taylor and I desperately wanted to draft Tristan Wirfs, last year. Oh well, there isn't much we can do about that now. I don't see much help coming via final roster cuts or signings either. All we can do is pray this O-Line doesn't get Lawrence hurt. 

I'm not very optimistic about this next season's OT class either. Unless someone steps up, it's pretty weak. I didn't want to spend a ton of cap space on a big name free agent OT, given the contract Lawrence is likely to command in a few years. Looking at our current situation though, I might be inclined to go all in on an UFA like Terron Armstead after the season. In order for Lawrence to become the QB we believe he can be, this O-Line has to get much, much, much better.

Jags are going no where until they get serious about the OL.
You know you're dealing with a belief system when you get an emotional response. 

(This post was last modified: 08-24-2021, 09:54 AM by Mikey.)

(08-23-2021, 05:18 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(08-23-2021, 09:16 AM)Upper Wrote: I would be no more scared than putting Tlaw behind two proven very bad tackles like we are already doing lol.
Freiermuth would of likely been the best player to take at the top of the 2nd if we were looking for a player to best help Lawrence

...this assumes the HC understands how to use or prioritizes a TE in their offensive schemes. And yes I'm putting that on the HC, because Bevell did just fine with TE when he had Hock in DET

(08-23-2021, 09:32 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I just don't get it. Almost every single fan knew we needed to improve the O-line, and it basically went unaddressed.

....and this point was pounded home ad nauseam last night. E!SPN was not pulling punches when it came to Urbz and the state of the team.

(08-24-2021, 09:49 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(08-23-2021, 05:18 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Freiermuth would of likely been the best player to take at the top of the 2nd if we were looking for a player to best help Lawrence

...this assumes the HC understands how to use or prioritizes a TE in their offensive schemes. And yes I'm putting that on the HC, because Bevell did just fine with TE when he had Hock in DET

(08-23-2021, 09:32 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I just don't get it. Almost every single fan knew we needed to improve the O-line, and it basically went unaddressed.

....and this point was pounded home ad nauseam last night. E!SPN was not pulling punches when it came to Urbz and the state of the team.

and rightfully so. The fact that this post was even started when Meyer made the comment really emphasizes how obvious the situation was.
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]

(08-24-2021, 03:14 AM)Jag88 Wrote: Its not that hard. We have so many evaluators here on the board who are so tremendous. Coach can learn everything from the geniuses here.

Yes, that's exactly what everyone is saying.

Just because folks question or express opinions contrary to the regime's behavior doesn't mean they are saying anything to their own expertise.

Or are you implying that Urbz/Baalke were completely accurate in their assessment of the state of our line pre-draft and the way they addressed any deficiency in the draft?

(08-24-2021, 08:58 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Me too. I still can't believe we let Reily Reiff go to the Bengals for next to nothing. He would've been a huge upgrade over either Cam or Taylor and I desperately wanted to draft Tristan Wirfs, last year. Oh well, there isn't much we can do about that now. I don't see much help coming via final roster cuts or signings either. All we can do is pray this O-Line doesn't get Lawrence hurt. 

I'm not very optimistic about this next season's OT class either. Unless someone steps up, it's pretty weak. I didn't want to spend a ton of cap space on a big name free agent OT, given the contract Lawrence is likely to command in a few years. Looking at our current situation though, I might be inclined to go all in on an UFA like Terron Armstead after the season. In order for Lawrence to become the QB we believe he can be, this O-Line has to get much, much, much better.

Griffin on the field has been awful so far. IMO they wasted most of the FA money, we could have had Trent Williams and a TE to help Trevor.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(08-24-2021, 09:49 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(08-23-2021, 05:18 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Freiermuth would of likely been the best player to take at the top of the 2nd if we were looking for a player to best help Lawrence

Hock is one of the best TEs in the league.  Meyer likes to utilize his TEs if we had a guy like Freiermuth

(08-24-2021, 03:02 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(08-24-2021, 02:38 AM)JagSwag Wrote: Is it possible that Meyer still hasn’t quite taken his college hat off yet? When he evaluates our players is he comparing them to NFL players or college athletes, so he’s automatically sold on just physical traits and overlooked the necessity of actual football talent.

It's absolutely possible that a first time ever NFL coach (let alone HC) is still judging with college glasses.

Not just with college glasses, but high school glasses. It appears that he ranked his big board by going down the 2017 Rivals top 150 list.

(This post was last modified: 08-24-2021, 12:29 PM by Hurricane. Edited 1 time in total.)

I just don't understand how anyone could think this o-line in its current state is even serviceable without doing some kind of changes.
How in practice does he not see its a mess? is he just comparing it to how they do against our defense? a defense that just changed schemes and everyone is trying to readjust to it? Mind boggles me.

There was plenty of tape last year that suggested they were horrible.

I feel bad for TL. Dude was set up to have an amazing career and its a real possibility it could all be wasted away if this team doesn't get its [BLEEP] together.
In Dougie I Trust!

I think Lawrence by himself is not that good. Behind this OL he'll be David Carr 2.0
You know you're dealing with a belief system when you get an emotional response. 

(08-24-2021, 03:14 AM)Jag88 Wrote: Its not that hard. We have so many evaluators here on the board who are so tremendous. Coach can learn everything from the geniuses here.

Blindfolded darts at a list of names would be just as effective as this team has been the last 15 years.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-24-2021, 12:34 PM)CTEisREAL Wrote: I think Lawrence by himself is not that good.  Behind this OL he'll be David Carr 2.0

What successful Qb's have thrived behind o-lines that looked this bad?
In Dougie I Trust!

We should be OK at running the football against terrible D lines with Cam, Linder, and Norwell out there (like last year). With the threat of Trevor's arm and Chark's speed maybe see less stacked boxes for JROB, as Minshew never struck that fear as he throws pure ducks. However in pass pro, this line will just be abused all year. What is a positive is JROB is good at picking up the blitz and pass pro in general. Hopefully, Luke Farrell can contribute blocking wise to help out on the opposite side of JROB and just run 3 WR down the field. Keep 7 to block. Only way.

(08-24-2021, 12:34 PM)CTEisREAL Wrote: I think Lawrence by himself is not that good. Behind this OL he'll be David Carr 2.0
why do u dislike Tlaw so much. He has played well with what he's had but I consistently see u say you dont like him or he looks bad. Is it bias or do you actually think he has a lower ceiling and skillset.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(08-24-2021, 03:15 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(08-24-2021, 12:34 PM)CTEisREAL Wrote: I think Lawrence by himself is not that good.  Behind this OL he'll be David Carr 2.0
why do u dislike Tlaw so much.  He has played well with what he's had but I consistently see u say you dont like him or he looks bad.  Is it bias or do you actually think he has a lower ceiling and skillset.

The answer is in the User ID.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-24-2021, 03:17 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-24-2021, 03:15 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: why do u dislike Tlaw so much.  He has played well with what he's had but I consistently see u say you dont like him or he looks bad.  Is it bias or do you actually think he has a lower ceiling and skillset.

The answer is in the User ID.
lol nuff said

Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.