Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ode to "let's talk about" ll

(08-30-2021, 09:11 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(08-30-2021, 08:56 PM)Jags Wrote: I had two trees taken out and their stumps grinded today.  I’m surprised by how much it opens up the conservation area  behind my fence. Now I can see all the trees without all the damn trees.

You couldn't see the forest for trees, quite literally.

My house was one of the first ones built in my neighborhood. The first thing I did was remove the oak tree saplings they planted in the front and back yards. That was 18 years ago. Within the last couple of years, three houses on my street have paid to have their oak trees removed. Oak trees don't belong around a house. Not only do they stunt the growth of grass, litter the ground with little leaves that also plug up the drain passages on cars and push up sidewalks and driveways, but also have a nasty habit of creating insurance claims on your homeowner policy when storm and hurricane winds kick up. Oak trees belong in the middle of wide open space and places not also occupied by structures.
Quite literally, indeed.

I’m the second owner of this house.  We have a fairly large Oak in the front.  Probably the biggest in the hood.  I’m told a hurricane blew it over and my current neighbor and them “saved it” by bringing it upright.  I spent some time a few years ago trimming it up.  It’s a beautiful tree now.  I haven’t had any damage from it due to storms or wind (yet).  As far as the leaves and grass.. that been my experience as well from the lawns we mow.  Oak leaves don’t tend to mulch up due to their small size and working themselves towards the roots as opposed to staying toward the top and getting lifted from the blades to get pulverized. As much of a PIA it is, I do blow and rake them up/out then bag it when needed.   So I’ve got grass.  But others don’t opt to pay us to do that and the lawns are normally bare underneath. I think it’s a combo of the sheer coverage and acidity of the leaves.  But that’s above my pay grade.   I just make the [BLEEP] shorter than it was prior to my arrival.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-30-2021, 08:56 PM)Jags Wrote: I had two trees taken out and their stumps grinded today.  I’m surprised by how much it opens up the conservation area  behind my fence. Now I can see all the trees without all the damn trees.

I have like 8 (?) Coastal Redwoods in my backyard and man some gotta go!

My trip to Jacksonville Florida has been cancelled. Seems the friend I was supposed to attend the game with has an unforeseen emergency. Someone they know had to be put in to a Hospice because they do not have too much longer left on this plane of existence. So everything has been put on hold for now. I really wanted to attend the Jags/Broncos game but in the words of The Rolling Stones, You Can't Always Get What You Want.
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2021, 10:19 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-30-2021, 09:11 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:

You couldn't see the forest for trees, quite literally.

My house was one of the first ones built in my neighborhood. The first thing I did was remove the oak tree saplings they planted in the front and back yards. That was 18 years ago. Within the last couple of years, three houses on my street have paid to have their oak trees removed. Oak trees don't belong around a house. Not only do they stunt the growth of grass, litter the ground with little leaves that also plug up the drain passages on cars and push up sidewalks and driveways, but also have a nasty habit of creating insurance claims on your homeowner policy when storm and hurricane winds kick up. Oak trees belong in the middle of wide open space and places not also occupied by structures.

I have a gigantic live oak tree in my back yard that hangs over my house, and a gigantic live oak tree in my front yard that hangs over my house.  They drop so much stuff on my roof that I have to go up there constantly to clean off my roof.  I leave an extension ladder against the back of my house.  There's no reason to put it away.  So, yes, oak trees are pretty, but they are a pain in the [BLEEP].

I will say this, though, in their defense, when that big hurricane came through a few years ago (Irma?) what they did was let go of little branches, like they were releasing things to minimize wind resistance.  It was 2 feet deep in the front and back yard, just leaves and little branches.  But no big damaging limbs came down.

(08-31-2021, 09:57 AM)The Drifter Wrote: My trip to Jacksonville Florida has been cancelled. Seems the friend I was supposed to attend the game with has an unforeseen emergency.  Someone they know had to be put in to a Hospice because they do not have too much longer left on this plane of existence. So everything has been put on hold for now. I really wanted to attend the Jags/Broncos game but in the words of The Rolling Stones, You Can't Always Get What You Want.

I’m sorry to hear that.  

But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need.  Maybe you can make the trip solo.  I’m sure there’s plenty on here that’ll tailgate with ya.

(08-31-2021, 05:51 PM)Jags Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 09:57 AM)The Drifter Wrote: My trip to Jacksonville Florida has been cancelled. Seems the friend I was supposed to attend the game with has an unforeseen emergency.  Someone they know had to be put in to a Hospice because they do not have too much longer left on this plane of existence. So everything has been put on hold for now. I really wanted to attend the Jags/Broncos game but in the words of The Rolling Stones, You Can't Always Get What You Want.

I’m sorry to hear that.  

But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need.  Maybe you can make the trip solo.  I’m sure there’s plenty on here that’ll tailgate with ya.

I appreciate the thought but..... I've canceled the Amtrak, Hotel, and have the tickets back up for sale on Ticket Master. The friend I was going to attend the game with and I go back 36 years so, I wouldn't feel right if they couldn't go. Anyway, I don't have a car, I don't have a DL's and would have needed to depend on someone to pick me up at the train station and all that good stuff. There will be other games to attend so...... I'll just wait until conditions are better for everyone
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2021, 06:29 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-31-2021, 06:09 PM)The Drifter Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 05:51 PM)Jags Wrote: I’m sorry to hear that.  

I appreciate the thought but..... I've canceled the Amtrak, Hotel, and have the tickets back up for sale on Ticket Master. The friend I was going to attend the game with and I go back 36 years so, I wouldn't feel right if they couldn't go. Anyway, I don't have a car, I don't have a DL's and would have needed to depend on someone to pick me up at the train station and all that good stuff. There will be other games to attend so...... I'll just wait until conditions are better for everyone

That sucks, man.  I’m sorry your “waiting on a friend”  In the mean time, I hope you have Sympathy for the (little devil) Devil (your friend).   We’ll  “Miss You” at the game.  Though I wonder, maybe some one wil “Give you Shelter”.  Perhaps bunny? No, “She’s so Cold”.  But then someone.  Maybe “Angie”? But, that’s months from now.  “Time is on your side”.  Maybe you’ll make it after all and find a nice “Honkey Tonk Woman” and “Spend the night together”.

(08-31-2021, 06:28 PM)Jags Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 06:09 PM)The Drifter Wrote: I appreciate the thought but..... I've canceled the Amtrak, Hotel, and have the tickets back up for sale on Ticket Master. The friend I was going to attend the game with and I go back 36 years so, I wouldn't feel right if they couldn't go. Anyway, I don't have a car, I don't have a DL's and would have needed to depend on someone to pick me up at the train station and all that good stuff. There will be other games to attend so...... I'll just wait until conditions are better for everyone

That sucks, man.  I’m sorry your “waiting on a friend”  In the mean time, I hope you have Sympathy for the (little devil) Devil (your friend).   We’ll  “Miss You” at the game.  Though I wonder, maybe some one wil “Give you Shelter”.  Perhaps bunny? No, “She’s so Cold”.  But then someone.  Maybe “Angie”? But, that’s months from now.  “Time is on your side”.  Maybe you’ll make it after all and find a nice “Honkey Tonk Woman” and “Spend the night together”.

I should mention that my friend lives in Green Cove Spring, She would have picked me up at the Amtrak station that Thursday morning, and we would have spent considerable time together until I left on the following Tuesday. Shuttled me around Jax and I would have treated her to a few dinners, the game, and whatever we decided to do. The only reason I was going to stay at a Hotel was because she has a full house, dogs and kids to be exact and I would have been left to my own devices while she was at work so.... WOuld have needed to go to a Winn Dixie or something to get some food for the day until she got off work and we could have gone to one of the many restaurants in the area. I did live in Jax off and on for about 20 years so I sort of know the area still but, would have needed her to get me from one place to the other. It always helps to have friends in the area you plan to visit for a while, that way you know you'll have a great time.

(08-31-2021, 06:52 PM)The Drifter Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 06:28 PM)Jags Wrote: That sucks, man.  I’m sorry your “waiting on a friend”  In the mean time, I hope you have Sympathy for the (little devil) Devil (your friend).   We’ll  “Miss You” at the game.  Though I wonder, maybe some one wil “Give you Shelter”.  Perhaps bunny? No, “She’s so Cold”.  But then someone.  Maybe “Angie”? But, that’s months from now.  “Time is on your side”.  Maybe you’ll make it after all and find a nice “Honkey Tonk Woman” and “Spend the night together”.

I should mention that my friend lives in Green Cove Spring, She would have picked me up at the Amtrak station that Thursday morning, and we would have spent considerable time together until I left on the following Tuesday. Shuttled me around Jax and I would have treated her to a few dinners, the game, and whatever we decided to do. The only reason I was going to stay at a Hotel was because she has a full house, dogs and kids to be exact and I would have been left to my own devices while she was at work so.... WOuld have needed to go to a Winn Dixie or something to get some food for the day until she got off work and we could have gone to one of the many restaurants in the area. I did live in Jax off and on for about 20 years so I sort of know the area still but, would have needed her to get me from one place to the other. It always helps to have friends in the area you plan to visit for a while, that way you know you'll have a great time.

I think we have a resident GCS poster.  I can’t vouch for him.  He’s weird like you and I both.  May not be anything there.  And I’d send some help for expenses.   Lots of gears turning.  

But seriously, I reply back with only stones song tiles and nothing?? I though that would have been appreciated more. I’m saddened now.

(08-31-2021, 06:57 PM)Jags Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 06:52 PM)The Drifter Wrote: I should mention that my friend lives in Green Cove Spring, She would have picked me up at the Amtrak station that Thursday morning, and we would have spent considerable time together until I left on the following Tuesday. Shuttled me around Jax and I would have treated her to a few dinners, the game, and whatever we decided to do. The only reason I was going to stay at a Hotel was because she has a full house, dogs and kids to be exact and I would have been left to my own devices while she was at work so.... WOuld have needed to go to a Winn Dixie or something to get some food for the day until she got off work and we could have gone to one of the many restaurants in the area. I did live in Jax off and on for about 20 years so I sort of know the area still but, would have needed her to get me from one place to the other. It always helps to have friends in the area you plan to visit for a while, that way you know you'll have a great time.

I think we have a resident GCS poster.  I can’t vouch for him.  He’s weird like you and I both.  May not be anything there.  And I’d send some help for expenses.   Lots of gears turning.  

But seriously, I reply back with only stones song tiles and nothing?? I though that would have been appreciated more. I’m saddened now.

Dude I thought it was genius!

(08-31-2021, 06:52 PM)The Drifter Wrote: I should mention that my friend lives in Green Cove Spring, She would have picked me up at the Amtrak station that Thursday morning, and we would have spent considerable time together until I left on the following Tuesday. Shuttled me around Jax and I would have treated her to a few dinners, the game, and whatever we decided to do. The only reason I was going to stay at a Hotel was because she has a full house, dogs and kids to be exact and I would have been left to my own devices while she was at work so.... WOuld have needed to go to a Winn Dixie or something to get some food for the day until she got off work and we could have gone to one of the many restaurants in the area. I did live in Jax off and on for about 20 years so I sort of know the area still but, would have needed her to get me from one place to the other. It always helps to have friends in the area you plan to visit for a while, that way you know you'll have a great time.

Sorry, I'm not really a big RS Fan but I am familiar with the songs you listed. I just have a lot on my mind right now. I really feel sorry for my friend and what's she is going through right now. That, plus my health issues I have (limited mobility) have me wondering how much longer I can get around by my own devices so.... By delaying this event it will only make some matters worse for me but I'm confident should the time arise, I'll be able to make it down there as soon as all this blows over and is settled (Give her time to grieve) Like I said, there will be other games to attend and so forth..... This is just a temporary delay to the situation and will be rectified in the future.

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2021, 07:24 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-31-2021, 07:10 PM)The Drifter Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 06:57 PM)Jags Wrote: I think we have a resident GCS poster.  I can’t vouch for him.  He’s weird like you and I both.  May not be anything there.  And I’d send some help for expenses.   Lots of gears turning.  

Sorry, I'm not really a big RS Fan but I am familiar with the songs you listed. I just have a lot on my mind right now. I really feel sorry for my friend and what's she is going through right now. That, plus my health issues I have (limited mobility) have me wondering how much longer I can get around by my own devices so.... By delaying this event it will only make some matters worse for me but I'm confident should the time arise, I'll be able to make it down there as soon as all this blows over and is settled (Give her time to grieve) Like I said, there will be other games to attend and so forth..... This is just a temporary delay to the situation and will be rectified in the future.

I’m sorry man.  Especially sorry I made light of the situation.  I sincerely hope everything works out for your friend/his family and that you get a chance soon to come back to see a game.

(08-31-2021, 07:01 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 06:57 PM)Jags Wrote: I think we have a resident GCS poster.  I can’t vouch for him.  He’s weird like you and I both.  May not be anything there.  And I’d send some help for expenses.   Lots of gears turning.  

Dude I thought it was genius!
Thank you for seeing me for who I truly am.   Big Grin  Most people look at me and try to figure out which felony I’ve committed to be damned to a life of mowing lawns.  Jokes on them though, I’m stupid enough to have chosen it.

(08-31-2021, 07:17 PM)Jags Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 07:10 PM)The Drifter Wrote: Sorry, I'm not really a big RS Fan but I am familiar with the songs you listed. I just have a lot on my mind right now. I really feel sorry for my friend and what's she is going through right now. That, plus my health issues I have (limited mobility) have me wondering how much longer I can get around by my own devices so.... By delaying this event it will only make some matters worse for me but I'm confident should the time arise, I'll be able to make it down there as soon as all this blows over and is settled (Give her time to grieve) Like I said, there will be other games to attend and so forth..... This is just a temporary delay to the situation and will be rectified in the future.

I’m sorry man.  Especially sorry I made light of the situation.  I sincerely hope everything works out for your friend/his family and that you get a chance soon to come back to see a game.

Don't worry about it. I'm one of the most laid back easy going person you'll ever find. I have a very warped and sarcastic sense of humor, some say it's even dark humor but... That's just the way I am, It's the way I cope with certain situations, it's the only way I know how to cope with some things..... I try to find good in everyone and humor in any situation...... That way, I don't waste my time being angry at the world 24/7. But I do know when it's time to be serious about things. I can put on a good strong face ii public but, when I'm alone, it's either joke about things to myself, or have a complete mental breakdown. I hope you understand.

(08-31-2021, 07:25 PM)The Drifter Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 07:17 PM)Jags Wrote: I’m sorry man.  Especially sorry I made light of the situation.  I sincerely hope everything works out for your friend/his family and that you get a chance soon to come back to see a game.

Don't worry about it. I'm one of the most laid back easy going person you'll ever find. I have a very warped and sarcastic sense of humor, some say it's even dark humor but... That's just the way I am, It's the way I cope with certain situations, it's the only way I know how to cope with some things..... I try to find good in everyone and humor in any situation...... That way, I don't waste my time being angry at the world 24/7. But I do know when it's time to be serious about things. I can put on a good strong face ii public but, when I'm alone, it's either joke about things to myself, or have a complete mental breakdown. I hope you understand.
You’ve ‘bout described me to the “T”.  I try to find humor in everything.  Sometimes in things I probably shouldn’t.  Those time I just need to make sure I’m in the right company.  But I’ll play along and be serious when need be.     

Being serious, I do wish everything works out and y’all can come catch a game together down here.

''No Use In Crying" about it and don't worry, he'll be "Coming Down Again".  Until then he'll watch with "Far Away Eyes" and hope TL doesn't take "One Hit (To the Body)" because when it comes to football, the Jaguars are his "Connection".  Sure, we were all hoping he would make it but "You Can't Always Get What You Want".
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

[Image: 5fc7c55165f7971ea20b785ef59face9.jpg]
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

I like how the people that could use an extra day off, say first responders and actual laborers have to work Monday. While the people sitting up in an office have the day off.

I’m not bitter. Seriously I’m not. I’m not even upset. Just think it’s a bit [BLEEP] up. I know there are exceptions. But there are few exceptions without consequences. Hey have Monday off! But I’ll see you the following Saturday.

(09-01-2021, 08:09 PM)Jags Wrote: I like how the people that could use an extra day off, say first responders and actual laborers have to work Monday.  While the people sitting up in an office have the day off. 

I’m not bitter.  Seriously I’m not.  I’m not even upset. Just think it’s a bit [BLEEP] up.  I know there are exceptions.  But there are few exceptions without consequences.  Hey have Monday off! But I’ll see you the following Saturday.

To rub it in a little bit, I don't even go into an office. After my alarm goes off, I get up and walk from one room to the other. Except this Monday. I'll just stay in bed. 

Tongue

(This post was last modified: 09-01-2021, 08:52 PM by Jags. Edited 2 times in total.)

(09-01-2021, 08:34 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-01-2021, 08:09 PM)Jags Wrote: I like how the people that could use an extra day off, say first responders and actual laborers have to work Monday.  While the people sitting up in an office have the day off. 

I’m not bitter.  Seriously I’m not.  I’m not even upset. Just think it’s a bit [BLEEP] up.  I know there are exceptions.  But there are few exceptions without consequences.  Hey have Monday off! But I’ll see you the following Saturday.

To rub it in a little bit, I don't even go into an office. After my alarm goes off, I get up and walk from one room to the other. Except this Monday. I'll just stay in bed. 

Tongue

I’m happy for you and everyone else that gets a 3 day weekend.  It’s been many years but we can’t afford to take off on the “Monday Holidays” as we call them.  Though, Memorial Day is the only one that sucks to work on.  We more than make up for working holidays Nov-March.  

I had some guys in the past “complain” for lack of other words about working Labor Day.  Been there done that.  One year, I explained the consequences if we took the day off, knowing we needed to work, and let the crew decide if we worked or not.  They chose not to work.  Let’s just say they don’t complain about working Labor Day anymore.  Sometimes I find I’ve got to let them mess up in order to get them to realize or understand why I push them the way I do.  Same thing with rain delays and getting backed up.  How late do we work to get caught up etc..  though they make the wrong decisions, I take pride in them knowing “boss man” was right. Smile  Then they don’t question what I suggest in the future.  I also gain a few people that learn from it and explain to the newbies why we do such.  That way, I’ve got a few on board when the newbies wanna be a [BLEEP]

Yep, I’ll mind [BLEEP] ya when I can.  I’m still awaiting a “#1 Boss” mug.  Guess I’ll have to do that myself as well

(09-01-2021, 08:49 PM)Jags Wrote:
(09-01-2021, 08:34 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: To rub it in a little bit, I don't even go into an office. After my alarm goes off, I get up and walk from one room to the other. Except this Monday. I'll just stay in bed. 

Tongue

I’m happy for you and everyone else that gets a 3 day weekend.  It’s been many years but we can’t afford to take off on the “Monday Holidays” as we call them.  Though, Memorial Day is the only one that sucks to work on.  We more than make up for working holidays Nov-March.  

I had some guys in the past “complain” for lack of other words about working Labor Day.  Been there done that.  One year, I explained the consequences if we took the day off, knowing we needed to work, and let the crew decide if we worked or not.  They chose not to work.  Let’s just say they don’t complain about working Labor Day anymore.  Sometimes I find I’ve got to let them mess up in order to get them to realize or understand why I push them the way I do.  Same thing with rain delays and getting backed up.  How late do we work to get caught up etc..  though they make the wrong decisions, I take pride in them knowing “boss man” was right. Smile  Then they don’t question what I suggest in the future.  I also gain a few people that learn from it and explain to the newbies why we do such.  That way, I’ve got a few on board when the newbies wanna be a [BLEEP]

Yep, I’ll mind [BLEEP] ya when I can.  I’m still awaiting a “#1 Boss” mug.  Guess I’ll have to do that myself as well

There's a lot of stuff I had to do myself.. Then I got married..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]