Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(09-10-2021, 09:00 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Pfizer's revenue is up 92.39% YOY

Net income is up 59.44%

Yeah, the anecdote I was questioning would've been 10 times that and even that huge doubling of revenue hasn't blasted the stock price up.  Also the Net Profit Margin is down 17% last quarter. Maybe they had huge expenses related to the R & D?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Long-time radio host and media personality Howard Stern laughed as he mocked a string of right-wing radio hosts who died of Covid after publicly stating their opposition to forced vaccine and mask mandates.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article...ccine.html

(09-10-2021, 06:55 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-10-2021, 05:29 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I am not disagreeing with the success of the vaccine in that regard. I am telling you that using a person's story about Ivermectin is useless. People who are vaccinated go to the hospital ALL the time. I would love to look at the data and be able to make a judgement call, but I can't. It's worse now than it was 8 months ago. Why?

Because people are no longer masking up and social distancing as they were 8 months ago.

I was talking about the data collection being worse. The virus is worse because the delta variant is twice as contagious.

(09-10-2021, 09:06 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(09-10-2021, 09:00 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Pfizer's revenue is up 92.39% YOY

Net income is up 59.44%

Yeah, the anecdote I was questioning would've been 10 times that and even that huge doubling of revenue hasn't blasted the stock price up.  Also the Net Profit Margin is down 17% last quarter. Maybe they had huge expenses related to the R & D?

I retract the whole thing. It was hearsay. I normally don't like to make points that way. Regardless, they should be up BIGLY. There is a lot of flexibility in accounting.

(09-10-2021, 11:02 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote:
(09-10-2021, 09:06 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Yeah, the anecdote I was questioning would've been 10 times that and even that huge doubling of revenue hasn't blasted the stock price up.  Also the Net Profit Margin is down 17% last quarter. Maybe they had huge expenses related to the R & D?

I retract the whole thing. It was hearsay. I normally don't like to make points that way. Regardless, they should be up BIGLY. There is a lot of flexibility in accounting.

It's still interesting. I don't know of any business that ought to be up more than those vaccine makers right now and it looks like none of them are. You said before that hospitals should be up big, but that's inaccurate. Most hospitals that rely on being full from crisis and elective procedures who cancelled all the electives and didn't replace them with Covids all lost significant money last fiscal year. In Jacksonville there was no initial surge from the early strains, we didn't get hit hard until this summer, but we still prepared as though we would be facing a tidal wave last year and it never materialized. That really crushed our bottom line last year while the explosion in variable costs this year is going to hurt us as well. Our labor budget alone this year was almost triple the projection because of all the overtime required to cover for extra shifts and those who are out on quarantine plus the costs for all the staff we shipped in from out of state. It's the double whammy of wasted capacity and overcapacity in consecutive years.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-10-2021, 07:05 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote:
(09-10-2021, 06:17 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I have changed my whole perspective about this whole thing based on what I have observed and seen in my life.

Case 1:  My brother-in-law who was vaccinated caught the China virus.  He is middle-to-late 60's, moderate drinker and a non-smoker with no significant health issues.  He felt like crap for a few days and was fine after about a week or so.  Technically it took him a couple of weeks to get his sense of taste back.  My sister (also vaccinated) took care of him and never tested positive.  One thing to note, she is a RN and probably took more precautions than the average person.

Case 2:  My very good friend and his wife (both un-vaccinated) caught it and both got through it similar to my brother-in-law.  Both are early 60's as far as age, smokers and moderate-to-heavy drinkers.  My friend is also a diabetic and takes insulin every day.

Case 3:  My friend's daughter caught it and ended up passing away because of it.  She was a 40 year old mother of 3, non-smoker and non-drinker.  The only "health problem" that she had was that she was overweight.  One thing to note though is she went to the hospital because she was having trouble breathing.  While in the hospital her oxygen level was low so they inserted a ventilator.  When that happened she developed some kind of "infection" (I don't remember what it was called) which caused pneumonia.  She battled for about 4 weeks before her kidneys started to shut down and she ended up passing.

The thing that comes to mind for me, my friend's daughter didn't die of COVID, she died because of the treatment.  I base this thought from cases 1 and 2.  The more serious effects of the virus were over in about a week or so.  She was battling the effects of whatever "infection" that she got when they put a ventilator in her and the pneumonia that resulted from it for over 4 weeks.

Now I am no doctor and am by no means going to give medical advise to anyone.  I got the vaccine when it first became available to me for different reasons, but in my opinion the best thing to do is to get it.  My reasoning to get the vaccine was twofold.  1.  I saw ahead where it might be a requirement to travel.  My parents are both well into their 80's and live many states away.  If for some reason I need to get to them I want to be able to.  2.  I am a veteran of the U.S. Navy and got more vaccine shots than I can count.  I figured "what's one more?".

Just my opinion, but I think a person is pretty dumb not to get vaccinated whether they have had and got over the China virus or not.  I understand that some people don't do well with vaccines and choose not to get it (example Americus) and I don't fault her for not getting it.

The problem lies in this one size fits all thinking. If natural immunity is superior (and it's pretty clear that it is), people who are healthy and under 50 should just catch the virus. People who are obese, immuno-compromised, or old should get the vaccine. Yes, some people will get sick and die. Some people who get the vaccine will get sick and die. In both cases, it should be pretty rare. Under no circumstances, should it be MANDATED that people who have had Covid get the vaccine. That's just dumb, and probably the single greatest reason that makes me think this is policy generated by profit. 

I do think the vaccine is effective. I just don't think it's going to stand the test of time. It's not going to keep people free from sickness. It's not going to keep people from spreading covid. It's not going to keep the virus from mutating. It's just going to keep people out of the hospital until the virus finds a way to break down it's defenses. Then we are going to have to start all over with a different vaccine. This is going to be like flu season on steroids. Giving the most people the strongest response to this virus is the smart play, but big pharma wants to make their billions. 

FSG, I get what you're saying about Pfizer. I just don't see how they can't be crushing it. In June, the US bought 200 million MORE doses of the Pfizer vaccine. At $150 a pop, that's 30 billion dollars. That's not counting whatever they sold the US before (I didn't feel like looking it up). They are crushing it. I have no idea how that affects their stocks.

Pfizer got $19.50 per dose from the US government back in December for 100 million doses and has now sold 500 million doses to the government at cost for global distribution. Pricing is based on government investment and production volumes right now, but post-pandemic will certainly be different.

Good info here though a bit dated; I know the writer. I know you're up in arms about Big Pharma, so you'll find it interesting.

https://www.managedhealthcareexecutive.c...9-vaccines

(This post was last modified: 09-11-2021, 09:37 AM by Lucky2Last. Edited 1 time in total.)

Considering the date of that article, we are both correct. Here's a Forbes article that also looks at the numbers:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspecul...74e432705e

Quote:The strong outlook for the vaccine business is finally moving Pfizer’s stock. Although the stock traded sideways through much of 2020 despite the vaccine success, it remains up by about 25% since early June 2021 and by about 33% year-to-date, trading at levels of around $48 per share. While investors initially counted the vaccine as a one-off, pandemic product, that perception appears to be changing. Covid-19 is proving more difficult to contain than initially thought, and this could likely mean that Covid-19 vaccinations could be required periodically, much like flu shots, translating into a recurring revenue stream for vaccine products. Pfizer expects revenue of approximately $33.5 billion from its vaccine sales in 2021, putting it on track to post the highest single-year revenues of any drug in history.

I had the wrong formula that lead me to the 30 billion number, but I was still correct about the profit they are expecting to see moving forward. I wish I had linked my previous source, so I could see how they arrived at their numbers, but it doesn't matter. This is where the real money kicks in. They are even talking of bumping it to $150 a dose once the pandemic ends (up from $30). I'm glad to see they sold 500 million doses to the US for use in poor countries at cost, assuming, of course, that it doesn't lead to a variant that is vaccine resistant. I still wish it were used on the at risk and elderly only. 

Also, they need to be more transparent with the data they are collecting. You done with vacation yet? I need your help getting me the death and vaccination numbers by age and month.

(This post was last modified: 09-11-2021, 09:52 AM by Lucky2Last. Edited 1 time in total.)

For the record, Fauci went on CNN and admitted that natural immunity is superior to the vaccine, but said the Israel study didn't show whether or not it was more durable than the vaccine... even though we are already talking about boosters every year. He was specifically asked why someone would need to get a vaccine if natural immunity was better. He said it was something they would need get back to them after they had a chance to talk about it. Lol. C'mon, dude.

Another feather in my cap. Next up, herd immunity being unobtainable.

We will know the hospitals are back at regular capacity when the nurses start doing dancing tiktok videos again.

(09-11-2021, 09:35 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Considering the date of that article, we are both correct. Here's a Forbes article that also looks at the numbers:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspecul...74e432705e

Quote:The strong outlook for the vaccine business is finally moving Pfizer’s stock. Although the stock traded sideways through much of 2020 despite the vaccine success, it remains up by about 25% since early June 2021 and by about 33% year-to-date, trading at levels of around $48 per share. While investors initially counted the vaccine as a one-off, pandemic product, that perception appears to be changing. Covid-19 is proving more difficult to contain than initially thought, and this could likely mean that Covid-19 vaccinations could be required periodically, much like flu shots, translating into a recurring revenue stream for vaccine products. Pfizer expects revenue of approximately $33.5 billion from its vaccine sales in 2021, putting it on track to post the highest single-year revenues of any drug in history.

I had the wrong formula that lead me to the 30 billion number, but I was still correct about the profit they are expecting to see moving forward. I wish I had linked my previous source, so I could see how they arrived at their numbers, but it doesn't matter. This is where the real money kicks in. They are even talking of bumping it to $150 a dose once the pandemic ends (up from $30). I'm glad to see they sold 500 million doses to the US for use in poor countries at cost, assuming, of course, that it doesn't lead to a variant that is vaccine resistant. I still wish it were used on the at risk and elderly only. 

Also, they need to be more transparent with the data they are collecting. You done with vacation yet? I need your help getting me the death and vaccination numbers by age and month.

Two more days, we head home tomorrow night. The new price will depend on a bunch of factors that affect all drugs including how often they revise the formula and how many units they need each year. That's why flu ($30), MMR ($130), and Shingles ($250) vary. Flu changes yearly but sells giant lots, MMR doesn't change but sells fewer units than flu, and Shingles is stable but has very limited consumption. IMO the current Covid vax formula will be enough as we reach higher levels of population immunity, even if the studies show a need for a booster.

If you want to do some reading, see if you can find anything on vaccinated people with subsequent exposure and if they can identify "natural" vs vaccine induced antibodies as a result. I'm interested to see if folks who get the Covid sniffles after vax have a similar chemistry to those who survived the illness as unvaxxed and could be considered to have the stronger natural immunity (or even greater) as a result.

I'll check it out. Just read an interesting study on super-immunity for those who had it and were vaxxed, but the company doing the research received consulting fees from Pfizer. I'm not saying it's wrong, as it makes sense that having a natural immunity targeting the virus could work well with the vaccinated antibodies targeting the spike protein. However, then I am listening to one of the scientists from the study say something to the effect of, "a third dose of the vaccine should help the antibodies evolve even further to create more robust resistance," and I'm like, [BLEEP]? That's not how that works. Antibodies just don't magically mutate to predict variants. It makes me suspicious of the study when the scientist makes those kinds of "hopeful" comments that, again, fall in line with profit. Instead of me reading something that gives me hope that we are moving in the right direction, I'm left with the reality that a company, paid by Pfizer, comes up with a study that gives the justification for vaccinating convalescent patients and suggests that a third shot will cause the antibodies to evolve into something stronger. I just want clean data.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/...491v1.full

Here's the NPR article that has the researchers' quotes.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsod...-ku5jPZDKA

Here's the exact quote, and some of it speaks to your question:

Quote:Now, of course, there are so many remaining questions. For example, what if you catch COVID-19 after you're vaccinated? Or can a person who hasn't been infected with the coronavirus mount a "superhuman" response if the person receives a third dose of a vaccine as a booster?

Hatziioannou says she can't answer either of those questions yet. "I'm pretty certain that a third shot will help a person's antibodies evolve even further, and perhaps they will acquire some breadth [or flexibility], but whether they will ever manage to get the breadth that you see following natural infection, that's unclear."

Again, not sure what makes her certain of that.

(09-11-2021, 11:17 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Here's the NPR article that has the researchers' quotes.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsod...-ku5jPZDKA

Here's the exact quote, and some of it speaks to your question:

Quote:Now, of course, there are so many remaining questions. For example, what if you catch COVID-19 after you're vaccinated? Or can a person who hasn't been infected with the coronavirus mount a "superhuman" response if the person receives a third dose of a vaccine as a booster?

Hatziioannou says she can't answer either of those questions yet. "I'm pretty certain that a third shot will help a person's antibodies evolve even further, and perhaps they will acquire some breadth [or flexibility], but whether they will ever manage to get the breadth that you see following natural infection, that's unclear."

Again, not sure what makes her certain of that.

The ole scientific "pretty sure".

Need more of this...

An upstate New York hospital said it will pause the delivery of babies in two weeks because of a spate of resignations by maternity unit workers who are objecting to COVID-19 vaccination mandates. https://t.co/zi5TTgkWUG

(09-11-2021, 01:03 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Need more of this...

An upstate New York hospital said it will pause the delivery of babies in two weeks because of a spate of resignations by maternity unit workers who are objecting to COVID-19 vaccination mandates. https://t.co/zi5TTgkWUG

Those workers will have to leave the industry to find work. Their choice of course, but dumb IMO.

(09-11-2021, 02:04 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

Those workers will have to leave the industry to find work. Their choice of course, but dumb IMO.
They can force them to fire them, win a lawsuit, and collect payments and do whatever they want for the rest of their life. They can also go work in private hospitals if they still have any in their area.

Per the CDC, federal government can't force vaccines or track vaccine status. Just don't offer the info and work in a state that protects freedom.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nco...facts.html

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

Yea. More people getting unemployment! That’s what we need!

(This post was last modified: 09-11-2021, 02:56 PM by StroudCrowd1. Edited 1 time in total.)

(09-11-2021, 02:04 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

I guess it all comes down to how one ranks their own morality and principles over employment and constitutional overreach.

Besides, I'm sure being a private midwife pays well.

(09-11-2021, 02:31 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:

Yea. More people getting unemployment! That’s what we need!

Can you get unemployment if you quit?
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???