Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Meyer falling apart already?

(09-16-2021, 02:55 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(09-16-2021, 02:47 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: Be that as it may, it’s still early to completely give up. That’s the point. 

The best example of can think of is Pete Carroll. He completely flamed out in his first NFL try, and in his second it took a couple seasons to get his groove. That’s best case scenario obviously.

Ummm, in your scenario we're the damn 1994 New York Jets.

And? You completely missed my point. He was a college coach in over his head initially, with a dysfunctional organization, who took awhile to find his groove. A lesson on giving up right away or too soon on a guy. If that’s not close to what we have now, I don’t know what is.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-16-2021, 03:01 PM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(09-16-2021, 02:55 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Ummm, in your scenario we're the damn 1994 New York Jets.

And? You completely missed my point. He was a college coach in over his head initially, with a dysfunctional organization, who took awhile to find his groove. A lesson on giving up right away or too soon on a guy. If that’s not close to what we have now, I don’t know what is.

We're still the team he flames out with under your scenario. Besides, don't you think Carroll was set up to have a lot more success in Seattle than he was in New York? Seattle had some decent pieces there when he arrived. We're more like the Jets were. This team lacks talent and it's not very conducive to having success, especially for a rookie head coach that is making mistake after mistake like Meyer is. With the way this team was set up, we needed someone with NFL experience. Someone that knows how to deal with grown men, not college kids. Once guys start making big money, the mindset totally changes. In college, the players need the team. In the NFL, the teams need the players. They have the power.

(This post was last modified: 09-16-2021, 03:50 PM by Upper. Edited 1 time in total.)

Look, obviously week 1 is too early for Urban to be fired or quit. No one is really suggesting that.

All we're saying is that we have like 15 data points to link Urban to so far, and outside of the practice field and nutrition upgrade (the latter I think any coach would have done) it's like 13 negative points. If Urban is going to succeed he needs to get A LOT better real fast in basically every facet of his job.

(This post was last modified: 09-16-2021, 04:00 PM by SamusAranX. Edited 1 time in total.)

(09-16-2021, 03:37 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(09-16-2021, 03:01 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: And? You completely missed my point. He was a college coach in over his head initially, with a dysfunctional organization, who took awhile to find his groove. A lesson on giving up right away or too soon on a guy. If that’s not close to what we have now, I don’t know what is.

We're still the team he flames out with under your scenario. Besides, don't you think Carroll was set up to have a lot more success in Seattle than he was in New York? Seattle had some decent pieces there when he arrived. We're more like the Jets were. This team lacks talent and it's not very conducive to having success, especially for a rookie head coach that is making mistake after mistake like Meyer is. With the way this team was set up, we needed someone with NFL experience. Someone that knows how to deal with grown men, not college kids. Once guys start making big money, the mindset totally changes. In college, the players need the team. In the NFL, the teams need the players. They have the power.

Those “pieces” led to two successive losing seasons, first being the crazy playoff run due to a horrible division then no playoffs at all. If these fans were running that team they would have cut bait after two straight losing seasons. They had to start Tarvaris Jackson at one point for cripes sake. They got extremely fortunate too in that they gave up the farm for Flynn (who wasn’t gonna be a long term answer), and Wilson dropped to their laps (thanks to us). 

You can make all excuses you want, but the simple fact is that unless he leaves, there is no good reason to not be patient after only one off-season and single week of real football.

(09-16-2021, 03:48 PM)Upper Wrote: Look, obviously week 1 is too early for Urban to be fired or quit. No one is really suggesting that.

All we're saying is that we have like 15 data points to link Urban to so far, and outside of the practice field and nutrition upgrade (the latter I think any coach would have done) it's like 13 negative points. If Urban is going to succeed he needs to get A LOT better real fast in basically every facet of his job.

Amen! You hit the nail on the head.

(09-16-2021, 03:48 PM)Upper Wrote: Look, obviously week 1 is too early for Urban to be fired or quit. No one is really suggesting that.

I don’t always agree with your takes but this is by reasonable.

(09-16-2021, 03:01 PM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(09-16-2021, 02:55 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Ummm, in your scenario we're the damn 1994 New York Jets.

It's futile. They sense blood in the water and nothing will sate their desire for retribution than total annihilation of the man who they believe will inflict a continuance of #becausejaguars.

(09-16-2021, 03:59 PM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(09-16-2021, 03:37 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: We're still the team he flames out with under your scenario. Besides, don't you think Carroll was set up to have a lot more success in Seattle than he was in New York? Seattle had some decent pieces there when he arrived. We're more like the Jets were. This team lacks talent and it's not very conducive to having success, especially for a rookie head coach that is making mistake after mistake like Meyer is. With the way this team was set up, we needed someone with NFL experience. Someone that knows how to deal with grown men, not college kids. Once guys start making big money, the mindset totally changes. In college, the players need the team. In the NFL, the teams need the players. They have the power.

Those pieces led to two successive losing seasons, first being the crazy playoff run due to a horrible division then no playoffs at all. If these fans were running that team they would have cut bait after two straight losing seasons. They got extremely fortunate too in that they gave up the farm for Flynn (who wasn’t gonna be a long term answer), and Wilson dropped to their laps (thanks to us). 

You can make all excuses you want, but the simple fact is that unless he leaves, there is no good reason to not be patient after only one off-season and single week of real football.

We were patient with Gus Bradley and Doug Marrone and where did that get us? I'll tell you, it got us further and further in the hole. I'm seeing red flag after red flag with Meyer. I'm willing to let the season play out. I'm not suggesting firing him now, (although if he wants to quit and take some college job it wouldn't break my heart.) I'm just saying the mistakes he's making are HUGE and obvious. Not the normal type of mistakes you'd see a HC with NFL experience making, so he'd better clean this crap up really fast or we will be calling for his head at the end of the season. Until then, expect the fans to call him out when we see obvious mistakes. That's part of the job. He needs to have thick skin. I know he's not used to criticism, because in college, he won everywhere he went, but the NFL is a totally different animal and from what I've seen he didn't do much homework when it came to knowing the make-up of this team before he got here. I truly believe he thought that once he got Trevor, everything would just fall into place and the wins would magically appear. You don't just get to pick your players and recruit them to prestigious football programs like he did in college. You have to convince grown men to want to come to a team like Jacksonville with a long history of losing and then you have to motivate those men to give 100% every week, even though many of them are making millions of guaranteed money. That's how his new job works.

(This post was last modified: 09-16-2021, 04:17 PM by RicoTx. Edited 1 time in total.)

LOL

How surprising, reporters throwing more poo at the wall.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Pete Carroll was a 10 year NFL assistant and coordinator before the Jets job. He also coached the Pats in between the Jets and 'Hawks. He inherited a Super Bowl caliber team from Parcels and devolved them into a 5-11 club in 3 years' time. Then he cheated like hell to win at USC before running away to Seattle where he lucked into Russell Wilson (before whom we took a !$%@ punter). So yeah, let's not pretend Urbz and Petey are the same except their penchant to run from college right before the NCAA catches up with them.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 09-16-2021, 05:06 PM by Mikey.)

(09-16-2021, 02:29 PM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(09-16-2021, 02:27 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Please.. these guys are a joke, more than this team.

Lol. I was tepid about the hire but I am going to give it more then a couple games. Will say that it’s discouraging though.

enjoy your spork, I guess.
shame on you for partaking in a message board.

(09-16-2021, 02:44 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: We could go through the litany of missteps, poor decisions, and outright head-scratchingly bad moves this team has made since the Urban hire, but it's clear that the short memories can't remember back past last Sunday.

I guess we can all log off until week 5, no need to bother expressing opinions till then!

(09-16-2021, 02:47 PM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(09-16-2021, 02:44 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: We could go through the litany of missteps, poor decisions, and outright head-scratchingly bad moves this team has made since the Urban hire, but it's clear that the short memories can't remember back past last Sunday.

Be that as it may, it’s still early to completely give up. That’s the point. 

The best example of can think of is Pete Carroll. He completely flamed out in his first NFL try, and in his second it took a couple seasons to get his groove. That’s best case scenario obviously.

I don't see anyone here completely given up. Disheartened? Hell yes.

I haven't seen anyone threaten a boycott, or start a change.org petition to get anyone fireded, or even demand a refund of their season tix as a result of Sunday. Let's not portray things like they aren't.

I don't know if he is falling apart but he has done some questionable things so far:

-Retaining same offensive line and Coach
-Hiring Racist Coach
-Cullen is unproven as DC while Bevell wasn't a Hot commodity either.
-Team 100% did not look prepared to play on Sunday. Butterfingers and Penalties. Undisciplined players goes right back to the coaches and Head Coach
-Before the game he always stressed how the Jags want to be a run first team. This team comes out guns blazing. I don't buy the penalty excuse either. The team can still run on 1st and 15 or 1st and 20. They put this rookie QB in a very bad situation for his first game.

I like Meyer when he talks he does make sense while having good ideas. Those words have to translate on the field! That game was bad from even typical Jaguar standards and that says a lot.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

The only cure is a win. As the losses accumulate, the pressure will only grow.

Could be worse. The Giants are already showing signs of meltdowns in their 2nd game.

We'll be fine. We'll be fine.

(09-17-2021, 09:45 AM)Jagulars Wrote: Could be worse. The Giants are already showing signs of meltdowns in their 2nd game.

The Giants played well last night. Daniel Jones is making things happen. They lost because of a stupid penalty at literally the last second.

(09-16-2021, 09:50 PM)captivating Wrote: The only cure is a win.  As the losses accumulate, the pressure will only grow.

But enough about Meyer's Echocardiogram.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-17-2021, 09:56 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-17-2021, 09:45 AM)Jagulars Wrote: Could be worse. The Giants are already showing signs of meltdowns in their 2nd game.

The Giants played well last night. Daniel Jones is making things happen. They lost because of a stupid penalty at literally the last second.

But aren't coaches responsible for stupid penalties?  Or is that just our coach?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(09-17-2021, 10:06 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(09-17-2021, 09:56 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: The Giants played well last night. Daniel Jones is making things happen. They lost because of a stupid penalty at literally the last second.

But aren't coaches responsible for stupid penalties?  Or is that just our coach?

To be fair - getting backed up on 1st down 4 times in the first half (alongside two timeouts that shouldn't have been necessary) points toward the coach more than this NYG example, but yeah, players are accountable too.

(09-16-2021, 04:14 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(09-16-2021, 03:59 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: Those pieces led to two successive losing seasons, first being the crazy playoff run due to a horrible division then no playoffs at all. If these fans were running that team they would have cut bait after two straight losing seasons. They got extremely fortunate too in that they gave up the farm for Flynn (who wasn’t gonna be a long term answer), and Wilson dropped to their laps (thanks to us). 

We were patient with Gus Bradley and Doug Marrone and where did that get us? I'll tell you, it got us further and further in the hole. I'm seeing red flag after red flag with Meyer. I'm willing to let the season play out. I'm not suggesting firing him now, (although if he wants to quit and take some college job it wouldn't break my heart.) I'm just saying the mistakes he's making are HUGE and obvious. Not the normal type of mistakes you'd see a HC with NFL experience making, so he'd better clean this crap up really fast or we will be calling for his head at the end of the season. Until then, expect the fans to call him out when we see obvious mistakes. That's part of the job. He needs to have thick skin. I know he's not used to criticism, because in college, he won everywhere he went, but the NFL is a totally different animal and from what I've seen he didn't do much homework when it came to knowing the make-up of this team before he got here. I truly believe he thought that once he got Trevor, everything would just fall into place and the wins would magically appear. You don't just get to pick your players and recruit them to prestigious football programs like he did in college. You have to convince grown men to want to come to a team like Jacksonville with a long history of losing and then you have to motivate those men to give 100% every week, even though many of them are making millions of guaranteed money. That's how his new job works.

I think we're on a good trajectory. Bradley was totally in over his head, Marrone was a tad better, and Urban has assembled a better coaching staff than Marrone.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt