Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Samuel Adams launches new 28% ABV beer

Samuel Adams launches new 28% ABV beer that is so strong it's BANNED in 15 US states
  • Samuel Adams is launching a new, limited edition beer, and it alcohol by volume percentage is so high that it's illegal in 15 states 
  • The brewer comes up with a new version of its Utopias brand every two years, and the twelfth edition will be on shelves starting October 11
  • The exclusive beer line will be on sale for an eye-popping price tag of $240 in a 24.5-ounce bottle starting on October 11
  • Utopias are illegal in some states because they contain 28 percent alcohol by volume, more than five times the potency of typical US brews

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article...tates.html
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I am remembering the first and only time I tried Samichlaus. I drank it like a regular beer. It's not. If I ever got a chance to try Utopia, I'd fully expect it to be equally as hideous.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(09-21-2021, 12:47 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: I am remembering the first and only time I tried Samichlaus. I drank it like a regular beer. It's not. If I ever got a chance to try Utopia, I'd fully expect it to be equally as hideous.

Foolish enough to have paid for it once. Very hideous.

(09-21-2021, 01:53 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 12:47 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: I am remembering the first and only time I tried Samichlaus. I drank it like a regular beer. It's not. If I ever got a chance to try Utopia, I'd fully expect it to be equally as hideous.

Foolish enough to have paid for it once. Very hideous.

I know it's not the same thing, but was on the way home from bowling the other night and wanted to grab a roadie.  Went into the cooler at the convenience store and quickly grabbed what I thought was a Dos Equis.  It was some kind of Dos Equis with lemon and salt.  Good grief, talk about hideous.  I dumped it in the grass when I got home.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

both the potency and the price tag are unappealing.

I've had barley wines and barrel-aged beers that will push 13%, and honestly they aren't something you want a 12oz. pour of. And it's not just a matter of potency ruining a beer - my favorite beer is a 10 ABV, but it is sneaky. You don't get a lot of bitterness or the bourbon kick like a lot of the stronger ales out there do. That's probably why I love it so much.

(09-21-2021, 02:04 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 01:53 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Foolish enough to have paid for it once. Very hideous.

I know it's not the same thing, but was on the way home from bowling the other night and wanted to grab a roadie.  Went into the cooler at the convenience store and quickly grabbed what I thought was a Dos Equis.  It was some kind of Dos Equis with lemon and salt.  Good grief, talk about hideous.  I dumped it in the grass when I got home.

I have never understood the reason for destroying the flavor of beer with citrus.  I also don't understand selecting a beer because it has a high ABV content as in the OP.  If I want something stronger than beer I'll turn to liquor (bourbon, vodka or gin).

I would rather just have a cold, good tasting refreshing beer.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(09-21-2021, 02:04 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 01:53 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Foolish enough to have paid for it once. Very hideous.

Haha I don't know about a premix version but I love those. Fresco!

(09-21-2021, 04:07 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 02:04 PM)RicoTx Wrote: I know it's not the same thing, but was on the way home from bowling the other night and wanted to grab a roadie.  Went into the cooler at the convenience store and quickly grabbed what I thought was a Dos Equis.  It was some kind of Dos Equis with lemon and salt.  Good grief, talk about hideous.  I dumped it in the grass when I got home.

Haha I don't know about a premix version but I love those. Fresco!

I have a philosophical issue with fruit in beer.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

If it has fruit in it, it better be a sangria.

I like to salt the rim of my Tecate. Not bad..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(09-21-2021, 10:37 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: I like to salt the rim of my Tecate. Not bad..

Get em.

(This post was last modified: 09-22-2021, 09:38 AM by Mikey.)

(09-21-2021, 03:51 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 02:04 PM)RicoTx Wrote: I know it's not the same thing, but was on the way home from bowling the other night and wanted to grab a roadie.  Went into the cooler at the convenience store and quickly grabbed what I thought was a Dos Equis.  It was some kind of Dos Equis with lemon and salt.  Good grief, talk about hideous.  I dumped it in the grass when I got home.

I have never understood the reason for destroying the flavor of beer with citrus.  I also don't understand selecting a beer because it has a high ABV content as in the OP.  If I want something stronger than beer I'll turn to liquor (bourbon, vodka or gin).

I was the same way about sours as you are with citrus. I'm still not big on them, but had a few pairings with food at a beer dinner and they complimented the salad course well. Even still, these were like 4-5oz pours and the drinks were absolutely not something you wanted to spend an afternoon drinking.

ctirus can be used as an accent in a lot of beers, but it's shouldn't dominate the taste. I think in the world of craft, though, a lot of brewers aim for the extremes and you end up with a beer that tastes like you bit into a grapefruit like it was an apple.

(09-21-2021, 10:37 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: I like to salt the rim of my Tecate. Not bad..

...is that so you don't have to taste the Tecate?

Big Grin

(09-22-2021, 09:36 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 03:51 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I have never understood the reason for destroying the flavor of beer with citrus.  I also don't understand selecting a beer because it has a high ABV content as in the OP.  If I want something stronger than beer I'll turn to liquor (bourbon, vodka or gin).

I was the same way about sours as you are with citrus. I'm still not big on them, but had a few pairings with food at a beer dinner and they complimented the salad course well. Even still, these were like 4-5oz pours and the drinks were absolutely not something you wanted to spend an afternoon drinking.

ctirus can be used as an accent in a lot of beers, but it's shouldn't dominate the taste. I think in the world of craft, though, a lot of brewers aim for the extremes and you end up with a beer that tastes like you bit into a grapefruit like it was an apple.

...is that so you don't have to taste the Tecate?

Big Grin

Tecate is the beer you take to the beach party because you know everyone else will leave your beer alone. Just gotta get it real cold lol.

One theory that I have heard, though I don't know how valid it is, is that the salt and/or citrus (most cases lime) put on or in Mexican beers and/or drinks was to sanitize the bottle/glass.  I can somewhat believe that since traditionally people have always said "don't drink the water" when traveling to Mexico.  Supposedly the chemicals in citrus/salt neutralize bacteria.  Again I can somewhat see the reasoning for that, but I'm not so sure that I believe it.

In my opinion the salt and lime on a drink like a margarita adds to the flavor.  I just never understood the "added flavor" adding salt and/or lime to a beer.

By the way, I confess that I do like Tecate beer (no salt or lime) though I don't usually intentionally buy it.  I view it basically as the "Mexican Budweiser".

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

IMHO, Samuel Adams only ever produced one good beer, and that's their original. It's a great draft beer. The rest is trendy trash.

[Image: samuel-jackson-beer.gif]

Worst beer I ever had was El Presidente.. Skunk in a bottle..

Favorite beer is Newcastle..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(09-23-2021, 12:00 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: Worst beer I ever had was El Presidente.. Skunk in a bottle..

Newcastle is still underrated imo.

(09-23-2021, 03:05 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(09-23-2021, 12:00 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: Worst beer I ever had was El Presidente.. Skunk in a bottle..

Newcastle is still underrated imo.
Agreed. 

I enjoy Dos Equis Amber when I can find it.

Lately, I’ve actually starting going with rolling rock out of bottle when I’m out in the boat. Out of a can, it is trash. Weird how that works.

(09-23-2021, 05:28 AM)JagsorDie Wrote:
(09-23-2021, 03:05 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Newcastle is still underrated imo.
Agreed. 

I enjoy Dos Equis Amber when I can find it.

I've got a case sitting in the pantry right now. It was BOGO at Publix back on Cinco, so I bought...a lot.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato