Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monroe Traded

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 11:22 AM by Bullseye.)

Quote:RT @mikejurecki Hearing Jags contacted the Cards last week re Eugene Monroe & Arizona decided to pass on Monroe.

If this is true, Arizona isn't exactly the second coming of the 1990s Cowboys or the Hogs as far as OL is concerned.

It speaks volumes they would pass on Monroe, especially considering they brought in Palmer to pair with Fitzgerald to be more competitive this year.  

Pittsburgh also needed a LT and presumably didn't make a bid for him, either.  If they did, we can only assume they didn't beat Baltimore's offer.

Monroe isn't that good and I don't believe there was a huge market for him, which is why we didn't get much in return for him-or at least as much as we'd like.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:As far as the Monroe thing...what am I mad about?? - the Jags getting fleeced, thats what.

Repeating a falsehood incessantly doesn't magically make it true.  Caveman smash!

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:this... this team is going to be moving... there is no and ifs or butt's about it.... and it will be in the next few years

No butts? Interesting. 

;

;

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 11:23 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:RT @mikejurecki Hearing Jags contacted the Cards last week re Eugene Monroe & Arizona decided to pass on Monroe.

(If above is true) At least Caldwell gets points there for targeting the right kind of front office first.....

credit where due. 

Quote:Strike 1 for me was some how some way the decieded to start at every position EXCEPT the positions of greatest need QB, OG, C, ILB

Where was he going to get a QB last year?  

Did you forget that last year at RT we had Guy Whimper?  Sure we now don't have Monroe, but it was a position of need.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:just in case no one saw this.

Because he's obviously not in our future plans.

If you can trade in a car before you run the tires off it, you do it.  Otherwise, you're getting nothing for it.

I'm not sure there's anything they've inherited that they're particularly fond of.  Why would they be?  Especially when they can do a true rebuild, building around their own draft picks and not someone else's.

Quote:This is now Caldwell's 2nd strike for me...

Strike 1 was when after evaluation of the roster he determined that Marcedes Lewis was worthy of being one of the cornerstones to go forward & rebuild with....That gave me pause, and now this deal combined with that comment is starting to paint Caldwell as over his head at best/ incompetent at worst....
A little early for that. But, not being a talent evaluator and just a fan, I wonder why some things are being done. Meester, keep. D.Smith ( who Poz syas was the best player he ever played with ) dumped. Perhaps tried harder to keep and build the D. It HAD a foundation. Then focus on rebuilding the offense. But, it is what it is. They gutted everything and have been given carte blanche to do how they please, even if it takes years. That's why the 4 games to London. But to do it in such a fashion that this team has become the brunt of all jokes ( deservedly ) is tough on a fanbase that has been loyal for years. Its not like we have one a superbowl and have had multiple playoff games, like Pitts or NY. We have nothing; and to imagine years of rebuilding leaves a real sour spot in my gut...and to many other fans, who deserve better.

Sad, when ticket holders since the teams inception are having second thoughts, and are finally fed up.

Im curious on the marketing strategy will be for next year? They've screwed the season ticket holders for years, offering discount tickets to the games, to the point of offering tickets at close to half price to former season ticket holders. Not a way to treat your most loyal fans.

Blakes Life Matters

Quote:If this is true, Arizona isn't exactly the second coming of the 1990s Cowboys or the Hogs as far as OL is concerned.

It speaks volumes they would pass on Monroe, especially considering they brought in Palmer to pair with Fitzgerald to be more competitive this year.

Or maybe they didn't want to give up any picks and are trying to stockpile them.

They just traded Levi Brown. Nice try though.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Where was he going to get a QB last year?  

Did you forget that last year at RT we had Guy Whimper?  Sure we now don't have Monroe, but it was a position of need.

He should have come to me. I have a QB tree right behind my ticket oak in the back yard.

Well obviously this is a blatant lie.  We've already established in this thread that Caldwell is an idiot who was fleeced by the first offer that came along and did no due diligence by testing the market with any other teams. 

Really wish a lot of you all could understand that the currency of the NFL is draft picks and young, cost-controlled players. Richardson was signed for 3 more years at less than 3 mil/yr. His full signing bonus is still on the Browns payroll. You just flat out aren't and can't expect to get good picks for a guy with less than one season left on a deal.

Also, no one has mentioned a word about Monroe's quotes last night saying it was bittersweet, but he's happy about the trade, ready to move on, and glad to play for a contender. He wasn't resigning here, sorry.

The only other solution to this deal was to let him walk and hope to get the last pick of the 3rd round comp pick, which is certainly not guaranteed those are pretty hard to get. I would rather have a 4th and 5th, which is what it's looking like it will be, over gambling we got the last pick of the 3rd round but probably more likely to be a 4th we we already got (I think) and more.

Honestly, if Dave knew Monroe was good as gone (highly likely) then what we got was the best we could realistically hope for. Now for you all unrealistically hoping for a once in a lifetime boneheaded trade like the Roy Williams one, I don't know what else to tell ya except it's time to wake up.

Quote:How can those guys help the team now?

Seriously?

With these same guys last year, what was our record?

Do you think Knighton could play any better than Marks/Miller are now?  I don't, especially not in the pass rush.

Was Cox playing substantially better than Gratz has thus far, or Blackmon did Sunday, or even McCray?

No.

Did Monroe stop the line from being awful the first four weeks of this year?

Absolutely not.

They were average at best players jettisoned from a bad team.

I think SpeedyG's point is Gene Smith hired those guys out of college WITHOUT ANY NFL experience and the other GM's hired them AFTER SEEING their NFL experience. If they had no talent how is it possible the other GM's, with NFL tape of them, see worthy of hiring them?

REgards....................the Chiefjag

Quote:Well obviously this is a blatant lie. We've already established in this thread that Caldwell is an idiot who was fleeced by the first offer that came along and did no due diligence by testing the market with any other teams.

Why would you contact a team to take on your LT for picks when the team you contacted is trying to TRADE THIER OWN LT FOR PICKS?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 11:27 AM by Bullseye.)

Quote:Or maybe they didn't want to give up any picks and are trying to stockpile them.

They just traded Levi Brown. Nice try though.

If he were better than the rookie tackles that are in next year's draft, and he were available, you'd think a LT desperate team like the Cards would at least kick the tires, don't you think?

At the end of the day, NOBODY who is trashing the team for not getting anything more for Monroe has given a scintilla of evidence showing the Market for MONROE was higher than what Baltimore gave up for him.

Quote:Well obviously this is a blatant lie.  We've already established in this thread that Caldwell is an idiot who was fleeced by the first offer that came along and did no due diligence by testing the market with any other teams. 

It's quite amusing.

Quote:... snip

Sad, when ticket holders since the teams inception are having second thoughts, and are finally fed up.
Im curious on the marketing strategy will be for next year? They've screwed the season ticket holders for years, offering discount tickets to the games, to the point of offering tickets at close to half price to former season ticket holders. Not a way to treat your most loyal fans.
Unfortunately, this is a common business case. I have been loyal to directv (example) for years and yet they offer free NFL Ticket to new customers. What about me?
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:He should have come to me. I have a QB tree right behind my ticket oak in the back yard.

...And you didn't think to call up Wayne Weaver a few years back and tell him about it?!

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:A little early for that. But, not being a talent evaluator and just a fan, I wonder why some things are being done. Meester, keep. D.Smith ( who Poz syas was the best player he ever played with ) dumped. Perhaps tried harder to keep and build the D. It HAD a foundation. Then focus on rebuilding the offense. But, it is what it is. They gutted everything and have been given carte blanche to do how they please, even if it takes years. That's why the 4 games to London. But to do it in such a fashion that this team has become the brunt of all jokes ( deservedly ) is tough on a fanbase that has been loyal for years. Its not like we have one a superbowl and have had multiple playoff games, like Pitts or NY. We have nothing; and to imagine years of rebuilding leaves a real sour spot in my gut...and to many other fans, who deserve better.

You act is if your tickets even if you do own some were forced upon you. Do they deduct them from your paycheck without your approval? If anyone is screwing anyone you are doing it to yourself. Your fandom is your choice entirely. Quit crying.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Quote:Why would you contact a team to take on your LT for picks when the team you contacted is trying to TRADE THIER OWN LT FOR PICKS?

Good point. ugh......

Quote:Why would you contact a team to take on your LT for picks when the team you contacted is trying to TRADE THIER OWN LT FOR PICKS?

If the cards were dissatisfied with their own LT enough to trade him away for a pittance compared to what they originally invested in him, they perceived a hole at LT, right? 

They had a decision to make.

They could have heard that Monroe, a former first round pick, still in his physical prime and healthy and playing LT was available, decided he was just that good, and invested a 3rd round pick to take him off the Jaguars hands. 

They didn't.

Instead, they opted to keep a 3rd round pick and take the chance on one being available for them in next year's draft.

Monroe wasn't that good.  Obviously the demand for him simply wasn't there.