Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ode to "let's talk about" ll

(10-22-2021, 08:19 PM)Jags Wrote: Also, you use  6” of water in your post.  Is that normal for a crop?  I understand different plants take different amounts of water.  Some more, some less. I know over here with our sandy soils 6” of rain in a short period would flood a bunch of areas around town, yet subside over a few days.  Watching the news, we see droughts then heavy rains in Ca then hear about landslides.  So how many inches do you normally supply to the grapes in any given timeframe?  Secondly, do you find the irony is supplying so much water to a grape only to dehydrate it to make raisins?  Wouldn’t it be nice to poorly water the grapes to produce the final product off the bat?

Ha, I just randomly said 6. 

So UC Davis will put out that reference ET number each week. What they do is give a weekly forecast for the upcoming week, and the actual amount used the previous week. So I take that weekly forecast and I run water on M, W, F, Sat too add up to the weekly total. So early in the season like April, I was using .25 acre-inches a week, so I'll calculate the total pump hours needed for that and divide it by the 4 days. In July I got up to 1.5 acre-inches a week. By mid August the water is off until I finish harvesting. Then hopefully after harvest I'll only need one or two days of water before we get some rain and thats it for the year until next April or so. 

That landslide stuff that year hear on the news is usually just rich people with cliffside houses in Santa Monica lol. Highway 1 gets a lot too. The Valley where I live is flat as can be because our irrigation canals are gravity fed. Between the two ranges, basically 4 million acres or so slopes a mighty 1 degree. I farm right against the San Joaquin River though, so sometimes I get a little more water than I bargained for. 

Never really thought or raisins that way but you're right, it is a little ironic. I know people that do severely restrict water (very popular for wine grapes) but for a bulk grower like me it's a little self defeating because in vines you actually grow two crops at once. Too little water this year can really hamper what you start with the following season.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-22-2021, 08:37 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(10-22-2021, 07:18 PM)Jags Wrote: That’s pretty slick there.  I’m sure as a farmer, you’re very well aware of how much you need to water your crops.  But I find it pretty damn cool there is such high tech gadgets and satellites making life easier.  Have you done your normal math against this yet,  how much, if any, did it vary?

Looks like I had myself down for 24.5 acre-inches of water and they had me at 22.76 and 25.52 on the smaller block. But my pump meter is like an analog speedometer type dial. So guessing between 10-15 gallons per minute on the dial can be tough and that can add up over the course of the year. 

It has a more accurate odometer type reading too so I'll have to add that up and get a more accurate reading. Sounds like it's pretty damn close though.

Perhaps I’ve had too much to drink tonight.  I’m still trying to wrap my head around what an acre inch of water is.  Aside from being the amount of water to water an acre assumably 1”.  I know with lawns, 1” is recommended 2 times a week around here.  Obviously, different plants, or crops in your case, take different amounts of water.  Is 24 acre inches simply 24 inches of water over each acre?  If that is the case, holy cow that’s a [BLEEP] ton of watering. No wonder the droughts cause so much grief. Even if that’s way off , I still think that’s is awesome they have that to your disposal to monitor and gauge the water needed for your crop.  What’s the Margin of error on this new technology?  From what little I know and the numbers you’ve given, seems like you’re pretty spot on +\- an inch or so.

I guess another question that would help clarify is if the 22-25 inches are over the course of the growing season or not. The time span for that water I suppose makes sense. That may be obvious
, not idk. I guess I took the info and what this does a bit literal and was thinking real time what the crop may need.

(10-22-2021, 09:28 PM)Jags Wrote: I guess another question that would help clarify is if the 22-25 inches are over the course of the growing season or not. The time span for that water I suppose makes sense.  That may be obvious
, not idk.  I guess I took the info and what this does a bit literal and was thinking real time what the crop may need.

Yeah that's for the year. 1.5 inches was my highest weekly use when it was like 110 the whole week. 

I'm going to try to put in a new sensor next year to get even a little more dialed in. I wanna scrape a few more inches off if I can.

(10-22-2021, 10:08 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(10-22-2021, 09:28 PM)Jags Wrote: I guess another question that would help clarify is if the 22-25 inches are over the course of the growing season or not. The time span for that water I suppose makes sense.  That may be obvious
, not idk.  I guess I took the info and what this does a bit literal and was thinking real time what the crop may need.

Yeah that's for the year. 1.5 inches was my highest weekly use when it was like 110 the whole week. 

I'm going to try to put in a new sensor next year to get even a little more dialed in. I wanna scrape a few more inches off if I can.

That makes more sense.   Satellites can do many amazing things.   I guess measuring what that can provide a lot of much needed or useful intell.  But is the accuracy and good as manually checking it? Or observation, or whatever the normal process is?

Boys, [and 2( and a half women)] I’ve got crabs.  I went out and spent a few bucks on my pleasure and returned home with crabs. 

[Image: lg_1002131_130.jpg]A few of these buggers.  For my fishy tank.  I thought the shrimp was cool.  But so far, these guys are wowing me.

(10-24-2021, 06:12 PM)Jags Wrote: Boys, [and 2( and a half women)] I’ve got crabs.  I went out and spent a few bucks on my pleasure and returned home with crabs. 

[Image: lg_1002131_130.jpg]A few of these buggers.  For my fishy tank.  I thought the shrimp was cool.  But so far, these guys are wowing me.

You're such a dork. Lol. 

If you're gonna have crabs at least make sure they're pretty.  Big Grin

A Roman legionnaire walks into a bar, holds up two fingers and says, “Five beers, please.”
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

(This post was last modified: 10-25-2021, 06:16 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(10-24-2021, 08:15 PM)The Drifter Wrote: A Roman legionnaire walks into a bar, holds up two fingers and says, “Five beers, please.”

True story. I walk into a gas station that we frequent A LOT!  Morning and afternoon.  Suffice to say all the employees know us. We were evening filling up this morning and the morning guy came out clapping and yelling the business name and saying “Let’s Go [my business name]”. Great prep talk, my guy! I take pride in being “the cool guy”.  An attendant Saturday, while getting dip, asks me if I want to hear a tasteless joke.  Well…yeah!   (This if the afternoon/night guy” on my day off.  Here’s the joke.

What do you call it when a whore farts?  I eagerly inquire “what?”

He responded with “A Prosti-“toot”

If it weren’t an adult joke, it would be one of them cute jokes. But I think it was his slight and modest right cheeck raise whilst saying “toot” that made it funny.  Definitely better said aloud than in print.

(10-24-2021, 07:51 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(10-24-2021, 06:12 PM)Jags Wrote: Boys, [and 2( and a half women)] I’ve got crabs.  I went out and spent a few bucks on my pleasure and returned home with crabs. 

You're such a dork. Lol. 

If you're gonna have crabs at least make sure they're pretty.  Big Grin

Dork, I am!  I plead no contest to those charges.

But I can’t exactly put king crab in my tank.  They’d boil alive in my 78 degree water.  And hermits aren’t really crabs IMHO. So I got the realest and tealest of real crab my reef tank can handle.

(10-24-2021, 06:04 PM)Jags Wrote:
(10-22-2021, 10:08 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Yeah that's for the year. 1.5 inches was my highest weekly use when it was like 110 the whole week. 

That makes more sense.   Satellites can do many amazing things.   I guess measuring what that can provide a lot of much needed or useful intell.  But is the accuracy and good as manually checking it? Or observation, or whatever the normal process is?

I checked it today against my flowmeter, it's really close.

I took a dump in a Gender Neutral bathroom today....... It so bad the lady in the next stall changed her politics...... LOL
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

My new neighbors are weird. First thing in the morning they open their garage door and it stays open until late in the evening.

maybe it's a trap and they are hoping to catch a car. Don't test this theory with your vehicle, borrow another neighbor's ride.

(10-28-2021, 01:08 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: My new neighbors are weird. First thing in the morning they open their garage door and it stays open until late in the evening.

This is something I’ve posted in the trivial thread.  I was ridiculed, mocked, and asked “why does that bother you?” I may be exaggerating, just a tad. But It doesn’t bother me. Not at all, it   Drives me freaking insane!!!

(10-28-2021, 05:18 PM)Jags Wrote:
(10-28-2021, 01:08 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: My new neighbors are weird. First thing in the morning they open their garage door and it stays open until late in the evening.

This is something I’ve posted in the trivial thread.  I was ridiculed, mocked, and asked “why does that bother you?” I may be exaggerating, just a tad. But It doesn’t bother me. Not at all, it   Drives me freaking insane!!!

I have too many tools in the garage to even think about doing that.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 10-28-2021, 06:04 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(10-28-2021, 05:41 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(10-28-2021, 05:18 PM)Jags Wrote: This is something I’ve posted in the trivial thread.  I was ridiculed, mocked, and asked “why does that bother you?” I may be exaggerating, just a tad. But It doesn’t bother me. Not at all, it   Drives me freaking insane!!!

I have too many tools in the garage to even think about doing that.
Same here.  Aside from all the tools/toolboxes, and misc other stuff like my woodworking tools,  I also keep one of my trailers fully loaded along with a few handfuls of spare 2 cycles. It’s pretty much my livelihood.  But that is also why I had my security company add sensors to the overhead doors. And keep my damn door shut!

I too have neighbors that seem to have their garage door set up with home automation connected to their alarm clock.  Smh. Oh, I’m awake, let’s open the garage!  For why, exactly? To let people know what all you have in the garage? To let the snakes in? I just don’t get it.

I do the same thing, but my case is a bit different.  I open it up because I'm in and out of there all day (my beer refrigerator is in there).  Plus my nearest neighbor is about 1/4 of a mile away through the woods so nobody sees what I have inside.

I pretty much go inside my home to eat, [BLEEP] and sleep (and sometimes take a shower, I have an outdoor shower).

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 10-28-2021, 07:18 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

I’m not in the least bit jealous that you seem to be retired.  I am however jealous that you can shower outside.  I thought I was living large when I found my 3rd outdoor pee spot in my backyard. What the hell? Why did it take me so long to find it?

(10-28-2021, 07:17 PM)Jags Wrote: I’m not in the least bit jealous that you seem to be retired.  I am however jealous that you can shower outside.  I thought I was living large when I found my 3rd outdoor pee spot in my backyard. What the hell? Why did it take me so long to find it?

As long as it's in the backyard and not the front.. The neighbors seem to frown on that..

True story..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(10-28-2021, 07:37 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(10-28-2021, 07:17 PM)Jags Wrote: I’m not in the least bit jealous that you seem to be retired.  I am however jealous that you can shower outside.  I thought I was living large when I found my 3rd outdoor pee spot in my backyard. What the hell? Why did it take me so long to find it?

As long as it's in the backyard and not the front.. The neighbors seem to frown on that..

True story..

Not gonna lie, there is a spot I suppose would be called “up front”. It is street side of the fence.  But it is dark provided neither I nor my neighbors have a light on in the rooms that are adjacent to this spot.  I’ve peed there a few times. A bit risky, but more so freeing.  I don’t think I can be seen there.  But, I’m not gonna fire myself over a misdemeanor. The neighbors can suck it.  Especially the new hottie.