Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Virginia gubernatorial election

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2021, 09:16 AM by KingIngram052787.)

(11-04-2021, 12:24 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(11-04-2021, 09:08 AM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: I'm not sure if you've watched any of Andrew Yang's interviews recently for why he left the Democratic party, but part of his messaging was the woke identify politics that consumes them is pointless and tiresome and solves no issues that people really care about.

Yang was just as bad as the rest of these folks. This is just his way of staying relevant.

I tend to agree with you on why he's doing it, I think he's a clown, but his point remains true, IMO.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2021, 11:34 AM by mikesez. Edited 2 times in total.)

The Democrats themselves are saying the reason they lost was due to a lack of enthusiasm for their side, which in turn comes from not getting their infrastructure and BBB plans passed.
It makes sense. If they could get a "progressive" version of BBB passed, they would get more enthusiasm from progressives. If they could get a "moderate" version of BBB passed , they would get more enthusiasm from moderates. They can't have both obviously, but either might have been enough to win in VA. But they passed nothing and they got neither.
Logically their explanation makes sense, but you won't find evidence for it in exit polling because those voters didn't even show up.
The thing I don't like about the explanation is that what's happening at the federal level doesn't reflect on the local and state level stuff, at least in my opinion it should not. But most voters don't think like that, they mostly think about federal level stuff even for local races.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(11-05-2021, 10:48 AM)mikesez Wrote: The Democrats themselves are saying the reason they lost was due to a lack of enthusiasm for their side, which in turn comes from not getting their infrastructure and BBB plans passed.
It makes sense.  If they could get a "progressive" version of BBB passed, they would get more enthusiasm from progressives.  If they could get a "moderate" version of BBB passed , they would get more enthusiasm from moderates. They can't have both obviously, but either might have been enough to win in VA. But they passed nothing and they got neither.

Yes, but that also loses votes from moderates like myself.  There was so much garbage in that infrastructure and BBB plans it only justifies the benefit of having a divided House and Senate to balance things out.   Oddly enough, I think some of the progressives think they won the general election because 81 million people agree with their views, but in reality 50% of those votes were imply cast for [insert Dem opponent here] as a stand against Trump.

I watched 15 min of CNN the other night and this Dem Rep lady was so out of touch (about the Virginia loss), Anderson Cooper just gave her a bewildered look and asked her if she really believed what she was stating (pretty much in denial that the progressives don't represent the views of the majority).

(11-05-2021, 10:48 AM)mikesez Wrote: The Democrats themselves are saying the reason they lost was due to a lack of enthusiasm for their side, which in turn comes from not getting their infrastructure and BBB plans passed.
It makes sense.  If they could get a "progressive" version of BBB passed, they would get more enthusiasm from progressives.  If they could get a "moderate" version of BBB passed , they would get more enthusiasm from moderates. They can't have both obviously, but either might have been enough to win in VA. But they passed nothing and they got neither.
Logically their explanation makes sense, but you won't find evidence for it in exit polling because those voters didn't even show up.

They got beat because they wanted to pass that, not because they didn't pass it. If they passed it, they would have lost even bigger.

(11-05-2021, 12:05 PM)p_rushing Wrote:

They got beat because they wanted to pass that, not because they didn't pass it. If they passed it, they would have lost even bigger.

We'll never know for sure.

(11-05-2021, 12:22 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-05-2021, 12:05 PM)p_rushing Wrote: They got beat because they wanted to pass that, not because they didn't pass it. If they passed it, they would have lost even bigger.

We'll never know for sure.

Nothing proves you want more of something like voting for the people guaranteed not to give it to you.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(11-05-2021, 12:27 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(11-05-2021, 12:22 PM)mikesez Wrote: We'll never know for sure.

Nothing proves you want more of something like voting for the people guaranteed not to give it to you.

In this hypothesis they stayed home, they were "unenthusiastic" so they voted for no one.

(11-05-2021, 01:25 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-05-2021, 12:27 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Nothing proves you want more of something like voting for the people guaranteed not to give it to you.

In this hypothesis they stayed home, they were "unenthusiastic" so they voted for no one.

Dude, the moderates and independents voted in droves against the progressive agenda.  New Jersey was in play for republicans until the mail in votes were counted.  Think about that, New Jersey was a razor hair win for the democrats.  New Jersey!
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(11-05-2021, 01:37 PM)copycat Wrote:
(11-05-2021, 01:25 PM)mikesez Wrote: In this hypothesis they stayed home, they were "unenthusiastic" so they voted for no one.

Dude, the moderates and independents voted in droves against the progressive agenda.  New Jersey was in play for republicans until the mail in votes were counted.  Think about that, New Jersey was a razor hair win for the democrats.  New Jersey!

Until the Essex County Fix came in you mean.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-05-2021, 01:25 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-05-2021, 12:27 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Nothing proves you want more of something like voting for the people guaranteed not to give it to you.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/03/virginia...ctory.html

Yeah, definitely seems like they stayed home in Virginia…

(11-05-2021, 05:55 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(11-05-2021, 01:25 PM)mikesez Wrote: In this hypothesis they stayed home, they were "unenthusiastic" so they voted for no one.

Still less voters than in 2020. A lot less. The eternal question is why do people skip these non-presidential elections?

(11-05-2021, 05:55 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:

I like how the article keeps saying the reason for such a high turnout was because of early voting and absentee ballot voting changes, all thanks to the Democrat Youngkin is succeeding. I'm sure those may have contributed but if a legitimate poll was taken voters would say something different.

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2021, 10:20 PM by mikesez. Edited 1 time in total.)

(11-05-2021, 08:32 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(11-05-2021, 05:55 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/03/virginia...ctory.html

I like how the article keeps saying the reason for such a high turnout was because of early voting and absentee ballot voting changes, all thanks to the Democrat Youngkin is succeeding. I'm sure those may have contributed but if a legitimate poll was taken voters would say something different.

The narrative that turn out favors Democrats is probably wrong, yet Republicans are always trying to make it harder to vote and Democrats are always trying to make it easier to vote.  It's pretty silly.

You mean Republicans are always trying to make voting secure and Democrats are trying to make it impossible to discover fraud.

(11-05-2021, 09:52 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: You mean Republicans are always trying to make voting secure and Democrats are trying to make it impossible to discover fraud.

Absentee voting is not prone to fraud when each ballot has a unique barcode and the only one handling it is the mailman.  What are you referring to then?

Lol.

(11-05-2021, 06:56 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-05-2021, 05:55 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/03/virginia...ctory.html

Still less voters than in 2020. A lot less. The eternal question is why do people skip these non-presidential elections?

Cuz most people don’t care about regular elections. The presidential election is all that gets their attention.

(11-05-2021, 10:23 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-05-2021, 09:52 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: You mean Republicans are always trying to make voting secure and Democrats are trying to make it impossible to discover fraud.

Absentee voting is not prone to fraud when each ballot has a unique barcode and the only one handling it is the mailman.  What are you referring to then?

The ballot might be legitimate, but how do you know the person doing the voting was? The mailman gonna be handling them too?

(11-05-2021, 11:53 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(11-05-2021, 10:23 PM)mikesez Wrote: Absentee voting is not prone to fraud when each ballot has a unique barcode and the only one handling it is the mailman.  What are you referring to then?

The ballot might be legitimate, but how do you know the person doing the voting was? The mailman gonna be handling them too?

Honest inquiry, are you ok with the government knowing who you voted for? It seems to me that the People run a great risk when individual political opposition is known to those in power. I personally think that we must return to in person secret ballot only voting or this slope will become a cliff.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2021, 09:14 AM by mikesez.)

(11-05-2021, 11:48 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(11-05-2021, 06:56 PM)mikesez Wrote: Still less voters than in 2020. A lot less. The eternal question is why do people skip these non-presidential elections?

Cuz most people don’t care about regular elections. The presidential election is all that gets their attention.

Right but it's not always the same voters that sit out the midterms.  Sometimes more D's sit out, sometimes fewer.

(11-06-2021, 08:04 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-05-2021, 11:53 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: The ballot might be legitimate, but how do you know the person doing the voting was? The mailman gonna be handling them too?

Honest inquiry, are you ok with the government knowing who you voted for? It seems to me that the People run a great risk when individual political opposition is known to those in power. I personally think that we must return to in person secret ballot only voting or this slope will become a cliff.

It's already a matter of public record which party I register with and which petitions I sign.  The mailman isn't supposed to open my ballot, and the supervisor of elections is just supposed to feed it into the machine. They give you the same unique barcode when you show up in person, you know.