Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Lawrence Critique (merged)

This is from last week but the point stands. This is what Lawrence has to deal with every week. Poor play design and zero separation. Would be hard for any QB to flourish in this situation.
https://twitter.com/PriscoCBS/status/146...3094887427

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-21-2021, 09:55 PM)Eric1 Wrote: This is from last week but the point stands. This is what Lawrence has to deal with every week. Poor play design and zero separation. Would be hard for any QB to flourish in this situation.

That is most plays. It gets worse. I have seen the receivers totally miss blitz's.  Well maybe it doesn't matter none are quick enough to separate enough to keep the DB from hanging on their shoulders...pass would just get batted down.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(11-21-2021, 09:55 PM)Eric1 Wrote: This is from last week but the point stands. This is what Lawrence has to deal with every week. Poor play design and zero separation. Would be hard for any QB to flourish in this situation.
(11-21-2021, 10:52 PM)Jag149 Wrote:

That is most plays. It gets worse. I have seen the receivers totally miss blitz's.  Well maybe it doesn't matter none are quick enough to separate enough to keep the DB from hanging on their shoulders...pass would just get batted down.
All the routes are deep most of the time. Then when they are not deep the WRs drop the ball. OC has to go.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

(11-21-2021, 11:09 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(11-21-2021, 10:52 PM)Jag149 Wrote: That is most plays. It gets worse. I have seen the receivers totally miss blitz's.  Well maybe it doesn't matter none are quick enough to separate enough to keep the DB from hanging on their shoulders...pass would just get batted down.
All the routes are deep most of the time. Then when they are not deep the WRs drop the ball. OC has to go.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk
Yea, that OC has been dropping balls. As a group we have been making excuses for players who drop the ball, can't get separation etc. It must be a virus or something. Maybe "they" can develop a vaccine or something?
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(11-21-2021, 07:51 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Elijah Moore sure would look good in teal right now. He had 141 yrds, 8 catches, and ,1TD today. 4 TDs in his last 3 games. He is just another great WR prospect we passed up in the 2nd round we could of had like when we passed on Metcalf and AJ Brown.

And Justin Jefferson. Monster game today.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

We haven't been this bad on offense since starting Cody Kessler.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(This post was last modified: 11-22-2021, 09:30 AM by TearExtractor. Edited 1 time in total.)

0 targets to the TE who was open multiple times but blind Trevor decides to put the ball in the dirt somewhere else.

(This post was last modified: 11-22-2021, 10:28 AM by Mikey. Edited 1 time in total.)

(11-21-2021, 12:55 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jagua...m=news_tab

Rather then start a new thread thought I would put that here.

Infighting already going on which to me partially explains why we see such inconsistencies with TL’s development

the more things change, the more they stay the same!

We've done this with like every coach/QB since JDR's days, constant churn and redesign of the playbook means nobody ever develops expertise and fluency. We will continually be rebuilding to fit schemes and remain a perennial punching bag for opposing defenses.

(11-22-2021, 09:27 AM)TearExtractor Wrote: 0 targets to the TE who was open multiple times but blind Trevor decides to put the ball in the dirt somewhere else.

Please provide a solid breakdown with photos

(11-21-2021, 05:58 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(11-21-2021, 05:50 PM)Upper Wrote: 8 touchdowns in 10 games. Anyone want to pull up that predict Trevor's season stats thread? That would make for a good laugh.

The major positive is that he has cut down on the int's. 

Another discouraging fact is lately he has been passing less than 200 yards a game.  Horrendous in today's NFL.

I think the cutting down INTs has come at the expense of a handcuffed offense, though.

And they do themselves no favors by running three and outs after the D gives up a 20-play drive, either.

I don't know if this is Bevell and Urbz fighting over what we can (or should) be doing offensively, but we have no identity. We are not a running team. We are not a finesse offense. We are 3 downs and a punt, and that's a miserable offensive scheme.

(This post was last modified: 11-22-2021, 10:26 AM by Mikey.)

(11-21-2021, 06:14 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(11-21-2021, 06:02 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: Let's get this straight. TLaw is not a generational talent. I said this before the draft. But he is very talented and can become the franchise QB the Jags have lacked since Brunell. But he's getting zero help and support. It's going to be a long bumpy ride back to respectability.

I have to agree with the first statement especially.

He has a strong arm but inconsistent with accuracy.  Decision making has been much more unstable then I would like as well.  "The best prospect since Andrew Luck" was highly over exaggerated.  I would like to see what Lawrence can do with much more talent around him.  I said before the season that he already gets a built in mulligan this year. 

It is fair to say that Lawrence start has been much worse than 99% of the population envisioned.  Learn what he can this year and hopefully make major strides to year 2.  This offense is going to sputter the rest of the year.  Defense's know that we have no receiving threats so it's game over.  Lawrence has not shown enough consistent accuracy to run a good short game offense.

He was the best prospect since Joe Burrow, and that was all that mattered. We would be no better this year with any of the other QB in this past darft, and we may in fact be worse in the long term with many of the other QBs that were taken.

I wasn't expecting an All Pro out the gate. Anyone who did was delusional. My anticipation was for him to stay healthy and gain experience over the course of the season, master the playbook and be ready to begin contention in years 2 and 3. We saw early that there were rookie mistakes, and saw those reduce (that's good), but the offense has regressed over the past month (that's bad) and it's difficult to say whether it's on coaching, conservatism, injuries, Trevor's fear of making a mistake, or defenses being able to shut him or our scheme down.

If given the choice of keeping the QB or keeping the coaches, I know which one I'd go with. Regardless of anyone's expectation, he's the QB, let's put him in position to maximize his potential. I can't say they're doing that at this moment.

(11-21-2021, 07:51 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Elijah Moore sure would look good in teal right now. He had 141 yrds, 8 catches, and ,1TD today. 4 TDs in his last 3 games.  He is just another great WR prospect we passed up in the 2nd round we could of had like when we passed on Metcalf and AJ Brown.

He'd be on IR or riding the bench behind Tavon Austin because Urbz is a fool.

8 TD in 10 games, 3 completions over 20 yards in the last 5 games, sub 5 YPA last 5 games. Surely it can't get worse than this...

This has become a "generationally bad" offense.

0 TDs in the last 3 games. He hasn't had more than 162 yards in his last 3 games

Tank for Trevor is working out perfectly eh fellas?

I'm sure he'll eventually figure it out but a bunch of you idiots swore that a QB of his 'generational talent' would fix a lot of things.

It has not. Surprise.

(11-22-2021, 10:59 AM)Kane Wrote: Tank for Trevor is working out perfectly eh fellas?

I'm sure he'll eventually figure it out but a bunch of you idiots swore that a QB of his 'generational talent' would fix a lot of things.

It has not. Surprise.

I didn’t expect a miraculous turnaround but definitely more competent games. 

I just can’t really blame or truly evaluate Trevor in this mess. The clip Eric posted says it all in a nutshell. I’ve never seen such bad route trees and lack of separation. My friends and I run better offensive schemes in flag football

Quote: Wrote:He (Lawrence) is still working to read defenses and get through his progressions and ranks 29th in the NFL against zone defenses (clustered with Tua Tagovailoa, Justin Fields and Sam Darnold), with two touchdowns, five interceptions and a rating of 77.9. Not surprisingly, he is facing zone looks on 71% of his dropbacks. Making adjustments to the blitz has also been a problem for him and the Jaguars as well (Lawrence ranks 32nd in the NFL when blitzed, completing just 44% of his passes with a rating of 54.9). The scope of the offense is constricting, with Lawrence relying almost exclusively on running backs and tight ends in the passing game lately, with receivers not getting the ball since veteran Marvin Jones went down.

The stats listed above are where rookie QBs either make it or they don't.  QBs in the NFL HAVE to make defenses pay when they blitz.  Until this is handled, %80 of every offensive snap during practice should be focused on Hot routes.  Hot routes come in many forms, whether it's built into an offensive play, optioned into by the Receivers or Tight Ends, countered by screens, called by the QB, or more prevalently these days countered by a highly athletic QB who can escape the blitz. But until you make defenses pay for blitzing, your QB/offense is doomed.

All you need is to consistently get 5-10+ yards, to make the opposing DC to start questioning a blitz call. Until then a ^54.9 QB rating is something every defensive coordinator will happily enjoy throughout the entire game.

(11-22-2021, 12:41 PM)cland Wrote:
Quote: Wrote:He (Lawrence) is still working to read defenses and get through his progressions and ranks 29th in the NFL against zone defenses (clustered with Tua Tagovailoa, Justin Fields and Sam Darnold), with two touchdowns, five interceptions and a rating of 77.9. Not surprisingly, he is facing zone looks on 71% of his dropbacks. Making adjustments to the blitz has also been a problem for him and the Jaguars as well (Lawrence ranks 32nd in the NFL when blitzed, completing just 44% of his passes with a rating of 54.9). The scope of the offense is constricting, with Lawrence relying almost exclusively on running backs and tight ends in the passing game lately, with receivers not getting the ball since veteran Marvin Jones went down.

The stats listed above are where rookie QBs either make it or they don't.  QBs in the NFL HAVE to make defenses pay when they blitz.  Until this is handled, %80 of every offensive snap during practice should be focused on Hot routes.  Hot routes come in many forms, whether it's built into an offensive play, optioned into by the Receivers or Tight Ends, countered by screens, called by the QB, or more prevalently these days countered by a highly athletic QB who can escape the blitz. But until you make defenses pay for blitzing, your QB/offense is doomed.

All you need is to consistently get 5-10+ yards, to make the opposing DC to start questioning a blitz call. Until then a ^54.9 QB rating is something every defensive coordinator will happily enjoy throughout the entire game.

This is on Bevell and Shcottenheimer to implement/instruct. 

Trevor is capable of integrating this stuff. 

The fact we only see him check out of 2 or 3 plays per game is probably part of the reason we are hearing rumors about coaching disagreements concerning QB development.

This seems to be an issue with coaching and play calling. They’ve clearly pushed him to limit mistakes and not take chances, rather than learning what he is or isn’t capable of at this level and progressing as an NFL QB.

I’d rather have 3 ints and 2 tds a week trying to make plays, rather than 0 and 0 while playing dump down and not pressing.

I was at the game yesterday, and I didn't see any open WRs out there for TL to throw to.