Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Draft Questions

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2021, 12:53 PM by Bullseye. Edited 1 time in total.)

It's highly unlikely that we pull off 7 straight wins and make the post season, so I figure why not talk some draft with a few questions.

1.  Irrespective of position or where they are projected to go in the draft, who are on your top 5 wish list for the Jaguars?  Mine?  Jordan Davis, Jameson Williams, Lindenbaum, Isaiah Likely, Jahon Dotson.

2.  Assuming we end up with a top 5 pick, would you be willing to trade down?  If so, how far back would you be willing to trade back?  Is there a player you would have in mind when determining how far back to trade?  In other words, below this point, your targeted player likely would not be available?

3.  Is there a player for whom you would trade up?

4.  Of the top 5 you listed in #1 above, is there a player/position you would be willing to forgo in the draft if you signed a top tier guy in free agency?

5. If you were unable to get a trade down and were forced to pick in the top 5, who would be your target? For me, Jordan Davis.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Jordan Davis was a guy I really liked in the top 5. I just found out though he will be 27 next year. He's a great player but a hard pass being his age. I'd take him with our 3rd rounder he he falls that far which he won't.

1. Way too early for me to answer this one.
2. I would trade down if Thibodeaux and Hutchinson are oboth off the board. I would want to trade back 5 or so spots to get Jameson Williams.
3. I would trade up for Hutchinson if it was just one spot or something and didn't cost too much.
4. I'd happily pass on Neal or Hamilton if we could sign a top shelf OT or S.
5. I've obviously said how much I love the pass rushers, so I will say if we had to take a non EDGE top 5 it would be Hamilton. But there are so many good pass rushers that I wouldn't have to. I would probably be happy taking Ojabo over Neal or Hamilton even.

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2021, 02:17 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

If we were to take Davis with our first, we would be 32 when his rookie contract is up after we pick up his 5th year option

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2021, 02:23 PM by TheO-LineMatters. Edited 1 time in total.)

(11-28-2021, 12:50 PM)Bullseye Wrote: It's highly unlikely that we pull off 7 straight wins and make the post season, so I figure why not talk some draft with a few questions.

1.  Irrespective of position or where they are projected to go in the draft, who are on your top 5 wish list for the Jaguars?  Mine?  Jordan Davis, Jameson Williams, Lindenbaum, Isaiah Likely, Jahon Dotson.

2.  Assuming we end up with a top 5 pick, would you be willing to trade down?  If so, how far back would you be willing to trade back?  Is there a player you would have in mind when determining how far back to trade?  In other words, below this point, your targeted player likely would not be available?

4.  Of the top 5 you listed in #1 above, is there a player/position you would be willing to forgo in the draft if you signed a top tier guy in free agency?

5.  If you were unable to get a trade down and were forced to pick in the top 5, who would be your target?  For me, Jordan Davis.

1. WR Jameson Williams, CB Ahmad Gardner, ILB Mike Rose, TE Isaiah Likely, C Tyler Linderbaum. I'm totally in agreement with you on Wiliams, Linderbaum and Likely. Williams is a tremendous downfield weapon who gets consistent separation and makes big plays. Linderbaum is the best Center prospect I have seen in a few years and Likely is more akin to a WR than he is a TE. He's a true playmaker and would give Lawrence a real option to throw to if the receivers are covered. Imagine a scenario where we are in the redzone with Jameson Williams, Isaiah Likely and Dan Arnold all on the field at the same time. That would be exciting. Gardner is the most consistent cover corner in the draft and a huge reason why Cincinnati is currently undefeated. Teams simply cannot throw on him. Rose is a beast in the middle of the field and may be the best coverage linebacker in the draft.

I love a lot of players in this next draft, but I really like these guys. I really like Jordan Davis too. He's a beast! I feel we have a really good NT already though and I'd rather trade down and add picks to fill needs, rather than to take a player at a position where we already have a good one. 

2. Not only would I want be willing to trade down, I would actively try to do so. As far as how far I trade back, that would depend on what we got in return. As it looks now, this is an extremely deep draft at edge rusher and WR in particular and those are our biggest needs. I see really good players at those positions being available in round 2, so I might be willing to trade back pretty far in round 1, but I'd want a fair return.

3. I would not trade up for anyone in this draft. I only believe in trading up, if a franchise QB is available and you need one. That is not the case here. We have our franchise QB and this next QB class is the worst I've seen in years. 

4. If we signed Davante Adams, I'd be willing to pass on Jameson Williams, but only Davante Adams. 

5. I honestly don't know. I haven't really even thought about ranking players yet. We have so many needs that we can truly take the BAP. With that said, I could easily see 4 edge rushers going in the top 10 picks, (Kayvon Thibodeaux, Aiden Hutchinson, David Ojabo and Jermaine Johnson.) Any of those guys would be a great pickup. I also really like Sam Williams of Mississippi, if he is still on the board at the top of round 2 and if we pursued another position with our top pick.

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2021, 02:28 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(11-28-2021, 02:08 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Jordan Davis was a guy I really liked in the top 5.  I just found out though he will be 27 next year.  He's a great player but a hard pass being his age.  I'd take him with our 3rd rounder he he falls that far which he won't.

[BLEEP]?!?

(11-28-2021, 02:08 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Jordan Davis was a guy I really liked in the top 5.  I just found out though he will be 27 next year.  He's a great player but a hard pass being his age.  I'd take him with our 3rd rounder he he falls that far which he won't.
No he’s not lol they are getting him mixed up with a TE named Jordan Davis.

https://twitter.com/tampabaytre/status/1...98362?s=21

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2021, 06:16 PM by Bullseye.)

(11-28-2021, 02:12 PM)Upper Wrote: 1. Way too early for me to answer this one.
2. I would trade down if Thibodeaux and Hutchinson are oboth off the board. I would want to trade back 5 or so spots to get Jameson Williams.
3. I would trade up for Hutchinson if it was just one spot or something and didn't cost too much.
4. I'd happily pass on Neal or Hamilton if we could sign a top shelf OT or S.
5. I've obviously said how much I love the pass rushers, so I will say if we had to take a non EDGE top 5 it would be Hamilton. But there are so many good pass rushers that I wouldn't have to. I would probably be happy taking Ojabo over Neal or Hamilton even.

1.  That's fair.  I agree it's insanely early in the process.  However, in my mind it's pretty much understood that nothing that happens early in the draft process is written in stone.  Opinions on players will change as more information comes out.  I was high on Jordan Davis until flgators said he was 27.  Of course I have to confirm, but if true, my thoughts of him change quite a bit.

2.  So standing pat, you would target one of the pass rushers.  What do you think of Karlaftis from Purdue?  I like what I've seen thus far, but I want to study him and Hutchinson carefully.

3.  I'm not sure we'd have to trade up for Hutchinson  at this point.  We could end up 2nd at the rate things are going.

4.  Not sure how many top tier Ts will be on the market.  I know TheOlineMatters is hoping for Armstead to hit the market, but I don't see that happening.  When I posed the question, I was thinking of Michael Gallup.  I'd prefer Adams, but somehow I don't see him coming here.  It would be too much of a good thing for Jacksonville.

5.  Regarding Hamilton, is your aversion to him as a player/prospect or is it based on lack of positional value?

(11-28-2021, 02:16 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If we were to take Davis with our first, we would be 32 when his rookie contract is up after we pick up his 5th year option

If he's 27, that has already put a dent in my offseason/draft hopes.

The only solace I would take from that is that DT/NT is a position you could pplay in the NFL into your 30s if you can protect your knees.

(11-28-2021, 02:20 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-28-2021, 12:50 PM)Bullseye Wrote: It's highly unlikely that we pull off 7 straight wins and make the post season, so I figure why not talk some draft with a few questions.

5.  If you were unable to get a trade down and were forced to pick in the top 5, who would be your target?  For me, Jordan Davis.

1. WR Jameson Williams, CB Ahmad Gardner, ILB Mike Rose, TE Isaiah Likely, C Tyler Linderbaum. I'm totally in agreement with you on Wiliams, Linderbaum and Likely. Williams is a tremendous downfield weapon who gets consistent separation and makes big plays. Linderbaum is the best Center prospect I have seen in a few years and Likely is more akin to a WR than he is a TE. He's a true playmaker and would give Lawrence a real option to throw to if the receivers are covered. Imagine a scenario where we are in the redzone with Jameson Williams, Isaiah Likely and Dan Arnold all on the field at the same time. That would be exciting. Gardner is the most consistent cover corner in the draft and a huge reason why Cincinnati is currently undefeated. Teams simply cannot throw on him. Rose is a beast in the middle of the field and may be the best coverage linebacker in the draft.

I love a lot of players in this next draft, but I really like these guys. I really like Jordan Davis too. He's a beast! I feel we have a really good NT already though and I'd rather trade down and add picks to fill needs, rather than to take a player at a position where we already have a good one. 

2. Not only would I want be willing to trade down, I would actively try to do so. As far as how far I trade back, that would depend on what we got in return. As it looks now, this is an extremely deep draft at edge rusher and WR in particular and those are our biggest needs. I see really good players at those positions being available in round 2, so I might be willing to trade back pretty far in round 1, but I'd want a fair return.

3. I would not trade up for anyone in this draft. I only believe in trading up, if a franchise QB is available and you need one. That is not the case here. We have our franchise QB and this next QB class is the worst I've seen in years. 

4. If we signed Davante Adams, I'd be willing to pass on Jameson Williams, but only Davante Adams. 

5. I honestly don't know. I haven't really even thought about ranking players yet. We have so many needs that we can truly take the BAP. With that said, I could easily see 4 edge rushers going in the top 10 picks, (Kayvon Thibodeaux, Aiden Hutchinson, David Ojabo and Jermaine Johnson.) Any of those guys would be a great pickup. I also really like Sam Williams of Mississippi, if he is still on the board at the top of round 2 and if we pursued another position with our top pick.

1.  I haven't seen the Cincinnati players at all.  Assuming UC makes the playoffs, I will watch them closely, including the QB and  Gardner.  I agree with you on Likely.  He has the potential to be a huge matchup problem on the next level.  The one thing about him that gives me pause is his height.  He doesn't look like the tall 6-5 or so TE.  I could see him measuring at 6-3 or so at the combine.  But his athleticism and hands are top notch, something we have not seen at the position here.  Completely understand your take on Davis.  You had the same concerns this past draft.  I look at Davis, and I see a modern day Curley Culp and I like the idea of that guy in the middle of our defense, even if Hamilton is moved outside.  But I agree with you that DL does not represent a huge need for us.

2.  Getting a good return is understood in the question.  I don't think anyone would push for switching spaces just because.  Right now, I don't think I'd want to go lower than 12-maybe 15 if we traded back twice.  I think mid first round is the floor for the availability of guys like Jameson Williams and Lindenbaum.  I think there are a few factors working against us in terms of getting a huge return on trading down.  First, as many has observed, I don't necessarily see this as a particularly strong QB class.  Some teams could get desperate and be willing to gamble on guys like the kid from Liberty or Howell.  On top of that, there are a few teams with a lot of draft capital next year:  the Bears, Eagles, Giants, Jets and Lions are among the teams that will have multiple first round picks.  In fact the Eagles currently have three.  If the Texans pull off a trade of Watson, they may be another.  The problem is that all of those teams either already have their QB prospect in hand (Jets, Bears...arguably Eagles and Giants), and/or they all already pick pretty high in the draft order already without having to deal up.  In short, the teams with the most draft capital to trade up with have very little incentive to move up at all to get the guys they want. 

3.  I would not be opposed to trading up into the bottom of the first if it means getting an elite speed receiver for Trevor Lawrence.  This is especially true if we've traded back from our top 5 pick and picked up another 2nd and 3rd in the process.  You may know how I am usually advocating we double up at certain positions.  I would love a scenario where we traded back to around 10 or so, take Jameson Williams, and then maybe get back up into the bottom of the first to ensure Jahan Dotson.  We'd have Williams, Dotson, a healthy Etienne, and maybe a healthy Chark on offense next year, with picks left to address OL, TE and LB.

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2021, 07:04 PM by DTWD4∞. Edited 1 time in total.)

I see you eschew an edge rusher in your top 5. I suppose the trade off is for Jordan Davis but I agree with others that we already have a serviceable NT. If we indeed wind up picking second then Hutchinson or Thibs is there for the taking.  Up until yesterday I thought Ojabo could be the edge we needed instead of Hutch. Not anymore. This guy could be the next JJ Watt or one of the Bosas. If they are gone when we pick then I lean toward WR, possibly moving back from 4th or 5th a couple spots since I feel we would have to be that far down to be too low to get Hutchinson.

(11-28-2021, 06:14 PM)Bullseye Wrote: 2.  So standing pat, you would target one of the pass rushers.  What do you think of Karlaftis from Purdue?  I like what I've seen thus far, but I want to study him and Hutchinson carefully.

5.  Regarding Hamilton, is your aversion to him as a player/prospect or is it based on lack of positional value?

I think Hutch is the best in this class, Thibs is probably 2nd purely off potential, and then Karlaftis and Ojabo are both top 10 pick worthy guys who will just depend on your team needs/preference. Ojabo is a missile off the edge like Ojulari was, but even more twitched up. Karlaftis is a mountain of a man who would be more of a big end/3-4 DE like Cam Jordan. Karlaftis is supposedly going to wow everyone with his athleticism for his size. If he does that it would be awfully fun to add a dynamic DL pass rusher to our exotic blitzing scheme. I could go either way on them if we are too low to pick Hutch or Thibs.

I think Hamilton is going to be really good, I just think this is a special EDGE class and all things equal I'm always taking a stud pass rusher over a safety. I do have slight worries about Hamilton's quick twitch too. He has been exposed a few times that I've seen when he gets moving in one direction he doesn't change direction quite like elite safeties do, ones that you want to take top 5. He will still be very good though.

(11-28-2021, 07:03 PM)DTWD4∞ Wrote:

I see you eschew an edge rusher in your top 5. I suppose the trade off is for Jordan Davis but I agree with others that we already have a serviceable NT. If we indeed wind up picking second then Hutchinson or Thibs is there for the taking.  Up until yesterday I thought Ojabo could be the edge we needed instead of Hutch. Not anymore. This guy could be the next JJ Watt or one of the Bosas. If they are gone when we pick then I lean toward WR, possibly moving back from 4th or 5th a couple spots since I feel we would have to be that far down to be too low to get Hutchinson.

I don't know if I eschew edge rusher.

I have my doubts about Thibodeaux, and I haven't seen enough of Hutchinson and Karlaftis to be solidly pro or con in either case.  Not only that, if you have a GM who knows what they are doing, they can find 3-4 edge rushers in the mid rounds.  Of course, we have Baalke, so that excludes us.

(11-28-2021, 07:07 PM)Upper Wrote:
(11-28-2021, 06:14 PM)Bullseye Wrote: 2.  So standing pat, you would target one of the pass rushers.  What do you think of Karlaftis from Purdue?  I like what I've seen thus far, but I want to study him and Hutchinson carefully.

I think Hutch is the best in this class, Thibs is probably 2nd purely off potential, and then Karlaftis and Ojabo are both top 10 pick worthy guys who will just depend on your team needs/preference. Ojabo is a missile off the edge like Ojulari was, but even more twitched up. Karlaftis is a mountain of a man who would be more of a big end/3-4 DE like Cam Jordan. Karlaftis is supposedly going to wow everyone with his athleticism for his size. If he does that it would be awfully fun to add a dynamic DL pass rusher to our exotic blitzing scheme. I could go either way on them if we are too low to pick Hutch or Thibs.

I think Hamilton is going to be really good, I just think this is a special EDGE class and all things equal I'm always taking a stud pass rusher over a safety. I do have slight worries about Hamilton's quick twitch too. He has been exposed a few times that I've seen when he gets moving in one direction he doesn't change direction quite like elite safeties do, ones that you want to take top 5. He will still be very good though.

Reasonable takes overall.

I've seen comparisons of Karlaftsis compared to fellow Purdue Alum Ryan Kerrigan.  Style wis that may have some merit, though Karlaftis is bigger at 275.  He has good power and uses his hands well.  He may be more of a 4-3 DE.  He is at a size where you could get him to add or drop weight depending on scheme, but if you aren't careful you could ruin him either way.

(11-28-2021, 07:09 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(11-28-2021, 07:03 PM)DTWD4∞ Wrote: I see you eschew an edge rusher in your top 5. I suppose the trade off is for Jordan Davis but I agree with others that we already have a serviceable NT. If we indeed wind up picking second then Hutchinson or Thibs is there for the taking.  Up until yesterday I thought Ojabo could be the edge we needed instead of Hutch. Not anymore. This guy could be the next JJ Watt or one of the Bosas. If they are gone when we pick then I lean toward WR, possibly moving back from 4th or 5th a couple spots since I feel we would have to be that far down to be too low to get Hutchinson.

I don't know if I eschew edge rusher.

I have my doubts about Thibodeaux, and I haven't seen enough of Hutchinson and Karlaftis to be solidly pro or con in either case.  Not only that, if you have a GM who knows what they are doing, they can find 3-4 edge rushers in the mid rounds.  Of course, we have Baalke, so that excludes us.
I can respect that. Have seen Hutch and Ajabo several times myself and both are very impressive but Hutch has pulled away of late. Thibs was very strong looking earlier this season. Haven't seen Karlaftis but saw Johnson in the FSU-Fla game and not overly impressed. He's good but not top ten good IMO (Maybe a taaad Gator bias here LOL) But your points are good. We need help all over the roster. Badly. At this point I feel we just take the BAP when we pick unless there is more value in trading down. Just don't trade down too far. Trade Might enter my mind if NT was BAP when we pick in the 1st round. Honestly though WR and Oline are our biggest needs IMO, followed by Edge and ILB.

(11-28-2021, 06:52 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(11-28-2021, 02:20 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: 1. WR Jameson Williams, CB Ahmad Gardner, ILB Mike Rose, TE Isaiah Likely, C Tyler Linderbaum. I'm totally in agreement with you on Wiliams, Linderbaum and Likely. Williams is a tremendous downfield weapon who gets consistent separation and makes big plays. Linderbaum is the best Center prospect I have seen in a few years and Likely is more akin to a WR than he is a TE. He's a true playmaker and would give Lawrence a real option to throw to if the receivers are covered. Imagine a scenario where we are in the redzone with Jameson Williams, Isaiah Likely and Dan Arnold all on the field at the same time. That would be exciting. Gardner is the most consistent cover corner in the draft and a huge reason why Cincinnati is currently undefeated. Teams simply cannot throw on him. Rose is a beast in the middle of the field and may be the best coverage linebacker in the draft.

1.  I haven't seen the Cincinnati players at all.  Assuming UC makes the playoffs, I will watch them closely, including the QB and  Gardner.  I agree with you on Likely.  He has the potential to be a huge matchup problem on the next level.  The one thing about him that gives me pause is his height.  He doesn't look like the tall 6-5 or so TE.  I could see him measuring at 6-3 or so at the combine.  But his athleticism and hands are top notch, something we have not seen at the position here.  Completely understand your take on Davis.  You had the same concerns this past draft.  I look at Davis, and I see a modern day Curley Culp and I like the idea of that guy in the middle of our defense, even if Hamilton is moved outside.  But I agree with you that DL does not represent a huge need for us.

2.  Getting a good return is understood in the question.  I don't think anyone would push for switching spaces just because.  Right now, I don't think I'd want to go lower than 12-maybe 15 if we traded back twice.  I think mid first round is the floor for the availability of guys like Jameson Williams and Lindenbaum.  I think there are a few factors working against us in terms of getting a huge return on trading down.  First, as many has observed, I don't necessarily see this as a particularly strong QB class.  Some teams could get desperate and be willing to gamble on guys like the kid from Liberty or Howell.  On top of that, there are a few teams with a lot of draft capital next year:  the Bears, Eagles, Giants, Jets and Lions are among the teams that will have multiple first round picks.  In fact the Eagles currently have three.  If the Texans pull off a trade of Watson, they may be another.  The problem is that all of those teams either already have their QB prospect in hand (Jets, Bears...arguably Eagles and Giants), and/or they all already pick pretty high in the draft order already without having to deal up.  In short, the teams with the most draft capital to trade up with have very little incentive to move up at all to get the guys they want. 

3.  I would not be opposed to trading up into the bottom of the first if it means getting an elite speed receiver for Trevor Lawrence.  This is especially true if we've traded back from our top 5 pick and picked up another 2nd and 3rd in the process.  You may know how I am usually advocating we double up at certain positions.  I would love a scenario where we traded back to around 10 or so, take Jameson Williams, and then maybe get back up into the bottom of the first to ensure Jahan Dotson.  We'd have Williams, Dotson, a healthy Etienne, and maybe a healthy Chark on offense next year, with picks left to address OL, TE and LB.

I'm not really worried about Likely's height. Just look at TE's like Vernon Davis, Dallas Clark, Jordan Reed and Delanie Walker. All were under 6'5" and had very productive NFL careers. If a TE shows the athleticism as likely seems to show, they should find success. Tre McBride of Colorado State and Greg Dulcich of UCLA are two other TE's I like a lot. Both are listed as 6'4", but if you are looking for a bigger TE, I also really like Charlie Kolar of Iowa State and Lucas Krull of Pitt. Both are listed at 6'6". This should be an excellent TE class.

I'm all for doubling up at certain positions, mainly WR and ILB. I just don't wanna trade up to do it. If we could add a premier WR and a TE akin to Likely that would be giving Trevor two really good targets. Then we could look to the 4th or 5th rounds to add another WR as well. Someone like Jalen Nailor of Michigan State, Emeka Emezie of N.C. State, Dontario Drummond of Mississippi or Samori Toure of Nebraska would be ideal in the mid to late rounds. I think it's absolutely imperative that we draft a couple of ILB's. I'd try very hard to trade Myles Jack in the offseason. He just doesn't fit a 3-4 defense. My goal would be to enter 2022 with two new starting ILB's. This has been a weakness for us all season. We need linebackers who can cover.

Top 5 players for me are:

1. Jordan Davis
2. Aidan Hutchinson
3. Traylon Burks
4. Trey McBride
5. Justyn Ross

As far as trading down? Yes. Would go back as far as the value permitted. If I can flip a 3 into a mid to late 1 while securing an additional 2 or 3 and future picks I am taking it.

Trading back would still leave you a shot at a WR or TE that could be dynamic enough to alter your approach offensively.

If no trades come up I am taking Jordan Davis or Aidan Hutchinson if they're on the board.

I would trade up late on draft night to steal a WR or TE though if possible with a fair price on the table. McBride at TE, Dotson at WR and London at WR are worth coming back up for IMHO before day two kicks off.

If they were able to land a solid player or two, even familiar faces, i.e Allen Robinson at WR, Calais Campbell at DE along with maybe Mike Williams at WR or Chris Godwin at WR you could maybe lower the importance a bit.

However, regardless if Meyer or Baalke are here in April or if it's a new overhaul. Given Khan's history of ridiculous patience with medicore results though I will assume nothing changes.

Ultimately. They must add pieces around Lawrence. Call Bill Polian for advice. Something. Anything. But they have to be all in for Lawrence.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(11-28-2021, 06:08 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
No he’s not lol they are getting him mixed up with a TE named Jordan Davis.

https://twitter.com/tampabaytre/status/1...98362?s=21
Good

(11-28-2021, 09:06 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-28-2021, 06:52 PM)Bullseye Wrote: 1.  I haven't seen the Cincinnati players at all.  Assuming UC makes the playoffs, I will watch them closely, including the QB and  Gardner.  I agree with you on Likely.  He has the potential to be a huge matchup problem on the next level.  The one thing about him that gives me pause is his height.  He doesn't look like the tall 6-5 or so TE.  I could see him measuring at 6-3 or so at the combine.  But his athleticism and hands are top notch, something we have not seen at the position here.  Completely understand your take on Davis.  You had the same concerns this past draft.  I look at Davis, and I see a modern day Curley Culp and I like the idea of that guy in the middle of our defense, even if Hamilton is moved outside.  But I agree with you that DL does not represent a huge need for us.

I'm not really worried about Likely's height. Just look at TE's like Vernon Davis, Dallas Clark, Jordan Reed and Delanie Walker. All were under 6'5" and had very productive NFL careers. If a TE shows the athleticism as likely seems to show, they should find success. Tre McBride of Colorado State and Greg Dulcich of UCLA are two other TE's I like a lot. Both are listed as 6'4", but if you are looking for a bigger TE, I also really like Charlie Kolar of Iowa State and Lucas Krull of Pitt. Both are listed at 6'6". This should be an excellent TE class.

I'm all for doubling up at certain positions, mainly WR and ILB. I just don't wanna trade up to do it. If we could add a premier WR and a TE akin to Likely that would be giving Trevor two really good targets. Then we could look to the 4th or 5th rounds to add another WR as well. Someone like Jalen Nailor of Michigan State, Emeka Emezie of N.C. State, Dontario Drummond of Mississippi or Samori Toure of Nebraska would be ideal in the mid to late rounds. I think it's absolutely imperative that we draft a couple of ILB's. I'd try very hard to trade Myles Jack in the offseason. He just doesn't fit a 3-4 defense. My goal would be to enter 2022 with two new starting ILB's. This has been a weakness for us all season. We need linebackers who can cover.

Sorry I was not clear.

I am fearful Likely will measure in the 6'2 range.

While he could still be a good move TE at that height, he could not be a true Y, and his ability to be a match up problem is diminished.

Of course, my fears could be totally unfounded , in which case, nevermind.

(11-29-2021, 02:23 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(11-28-2021, 09:06 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'm not really worried about Likely's height. Just look at TE's like Vernon Davis, Dallas Clark, Jordan Reed and Delanie Walker. All were under 6'5" and had very productive NFL careers. If a TE shows the athleticism as likely seems to show, they should find success. Tre McBride of Colorado State and Greg Dulcich of UCLA are two other TE's I like a lot. Both are listed as 6'4", but if you are looking for a bigger TE, I also really like Charlie Kolar of Iowa State and Lucas Krull of Pitt. Both are listed at 6'6". This should be an excellent TE class.

Sorry I was not clear.

I am fearful Likely will measure in the 6'2 range.

While he could still be a good move TE at that height, he could not be a true Y, and his ability to be a match up problem is diminished.

Of course, my fears could be totally unfounded , in which case, nevermind.

That's cool. 

They are all listed at 6'4" so it wouldn't surprise me if they were closer to 6'3", but going all the way down to 6'2" would be a huge exaggeration for a school to pull off. It's happened before though, so anything is possible. Even if this happens, there are several really good TE's in this draft to pick from. Well just have to wait and see what they measure at the Combine and Pro Days.