Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Lawrence Critique (merged)

XD I remember wanting us to go double down during the '20 draft on Lamb and Jefferson as the draft unfolded and was told "we have a good wr core"

Imagine how that might have worked out now.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-28-2021, 06:48 PM)Predator Wrote: Too many routine throws are lacking accuracy.

Even on a lot of his completions, his ball placement is bad forcing the receiver to adjust either loosing their momentum  allowing the defender to catch them or forcing them to reach to the point they fall down after the catch.

I know the receiving group isn't very good, but Trevor isn't doing a good job at hitting guys in stride causing them to miss out on a lot of YAC opportunities.

Two of our biggest pass plays were the result of amazing one handed catches because the placement was off.

He has got to get better at that if he is going to take his game to the next level.

+1
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

How anyone can worry about him being a bust is beyond me. Has he set the world on fire? No. I’ll agree he does have a problem sometimes with high balls and throwing too hard.

But we have such a poor WR core, a lot due to injuries, a bad, at best, Oline and the guy we drafted to replicate his college chemistry went down before the season even started.

(11-29-2021, 03:32 AM)Eric1 Wrote: https://twitter.com/theStevenRuiz/status...3333286912
https://twitter.com/theStevenRuiz/status...0307449865

The 2nd video of Steven Ruiz has 3 plays. I am not a tape expert .... When I look at the first play, Manhertz is WIDE OPEN. The ball should go there. The receiver dropped it but the throw looks to be behind. He needs to look at Manhertz on that play. On the second play, why does he wait til Agnew is right before the LB to throw the ball. Agnew is WIDE OPEN earlier, the ball is too late. On the third throw, Marvin Jones seems to be the better target. He is open. Trevor throws to the wrong guy.

(This post was last modified: 11-29-2021, 07:48 AM by Caldrac. Edited 3 times in total.)

(11-29-2021, 06:23 AM)Holger Wrote:
(11-29-2021, 03:32 AM)Eric1 Wrote: https://twitter.com/theStevenRuiz/status...3333286912
https://twitter.com/theStevenRuiz/status...0307449865

The 2nd video of Steven Ruiz has 3 plays. I am not a tape expert .... When I look at the first play, Manhertz is WIDE OPEN. The ball should go there. The receiver dropped it but the throw looks to be behind. He needs to look at Manhertz on that play. On the second play, why does he wait til Agnew is right before the LB to throw the ball. Agnew is WIDE OPEN earlier, the ball is too late. On the third throw, Marvin Jones seems to be the better target. He is open. Trevor throws to the wrong guy.

Trevor isn't perfect. I think we all know that. The issue is that he's not being set up to succeed earlier on. It's not just fans taking note of this. It's in the media now as well. When you look back at yesterday's game and the Bengals game. That's the kind of offense they should have been running all along this year to set him up to have more success. 

They have yet to establish any consistency with the chemistry out there for quite a few reasons. Injuries being one of them. However, Bevell and Meyer have done next to nothing in scheming around Lawrence's strengths. They don't know how to use him. They also don't know how to use the players around him.

Think about it. His 2nd best receiving threat this year just went out with a knee injury yesterday and he was picked up nearly a month into the regular season. He didn't have Chark. He didn't have O'Shaughnessy. They let Cole walk during the off season.

They keep trying to make Shenault a 4.3 mid to deep range receiving threat as well. When he's built more like an H-Back/Move TE that should have been put into motion a lot more than he's been put in this year to get open and make RAC plays with Lawrence's ability to move around himself. 

Marvin Jones is not a true No. 1 receiver. Agnew is a converted CB that was playing WR on the go that's now on IR. He's not some scrappy veteran that knows the tricks of the trade yet. I could see why he would wait on Agnew to get open. He's barely worked with him. If you think chemistry and talent doesn't matter go back and watch the Green Bay Vs. Arizona game from this year. Rodgers struggled without having his best three receiving threats on offense. Go back and look at Brady's last year in New England. They had nothing around him. That's why he bolted for Tampa Bay.

They finally started getting Robinson going in the receiving game yesterday too which is something they've only done sporadically (rarely) this year from a play calling perspective. They then proceeded to pull him out of the game for 22 snaps. This team just has too many holes to fill along with a lost headcoach that can't seem to step up at this level. It's been a bad year so far. They only have December to show that they're worth their salt as a coaching staff. 

If they can do more of what they did yesterday moving forward I think we would see more consistency from Lawrence.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 11-29-2021, 09:53 AM by Mikey.)

(11-26-2021, 12:14 AM)Newton Wrote: So I see this thread has come full circle! Ultimately, this is a long preseason for Lawrence. I hope he learns enough from this year so next year, once we have better talent, he can take the next steps as our franchise QB. There is no plan B. Trevor is our guy. The boats have been burned. There is no going back. We should all hope for his success. I think our patience will be well rewarded.

that's putting a lot of faith in this FO.

Agree completely that Trevor is our guy. What have we done since he was picked (or before!) to reinforce that notion? I don't want to drag our guy down hoping that an overhyped coach and his vanilla OC and lapdog GM can figure things out by year 3. The boats have been burned, so it's sink or swim time for all three. I don't know that any can tread water for long, though.

(11-28-2021, 05:23 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(11-28-2021, 05:20 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: You already have a Trevor sucks thread why don’t you post this there

Why do you read the thread knowing what it is about, then make a reply and click on said thread to cry about it?  Mysteries

maybe you should block them, too.

(11-28-2021, 05:26 PM)Jag88 Wrote: Look at burrow with chase and tua with waddle today. Enough said.

Meaning he needs a great wr as well  like burrow and tua, and it would make all the difference

I have confidence that Burrow could shine without Chase. Not as much in Tua with that regard. It helps that Burrow has guys like Higgins and Boyd in place to pick up the slack.

We need receiving threats, plural. What happens if we draft the next Chase or Waddle, think the ship is righted, and they get hurt in week 3, more of what we've seen this season? Bleh.

(This post was last modified: 11-29-2021, 10:05 AM by Mikey.)

(11-28-2021, 07:42 PM)Newton Wrote: Yeah a lot of these guys would have bailed on Manning after his first year too. While I agree realistically Trevor’s rookie season has been a disappointment, to call him a bust is ridiculous. Likely (hopefully for us all) they will be happily eating crow on that.

I don't see many bailing on the QB here. I see a whole lot more piling on those around him, whether it be coaches, scouts, lineman, or receivers.

I ain't gived up on Tlaw yet. I just don't have any faith that the current regime (all the way up to the owner, mind you) are capable of building a consistent winning roster around him. I hate it, because there's been many years where we had great team, but average to below average at QB, and now the tables are switched, and the results are just as frustrating.

(11-28-2021, 09:24 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Bucky Brooks addressed a comment from a caller that was along these lines. He flatly said it's "nonsense". Considering TL is a rookie on a team devoid of talent, categorizing him as a bust, or as a QB who doesn't elevate the level of players around him, is a senseless argument.

The fact some consider him a bust already tells me they play too much Madden, or simply let their emotions overcome logic.

preach it, biscuit.

(This post was last modified: 11-29-2021, 10:18 AM by Mikey.)

(11-28-2021, 09:57 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: They showed a graphic of 4 key categories during the game.  Lawrence was either 30th or 31st in every category.  Ugh

this season was never about stats, wins, trophies, or the like.

Producers aren't going to display graphics that fail to support their narrative. In similar fashion, their narrative is going to follow what the stats show them. TLaw's not getting yards in heaps each game, he must be horrendous. He threw some bad picks early on, guess he's a bust. He's throwing to a bunch of washouts or practice squad journeymen, Jags better take a QB early next year, right?

I guarantee that if you dig deep enough you can find stats to support any affirmation you wish to make.

Team sport, I imagine the leaders in any of those four categories would look night and day if they were playing with our roster and coaching.

(11-29-2021, 12:49 AM)navyjagfan Wrote:
(11-28-2021, 06:00 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: Yeah, I'm kinda feeling TL is teetering toward hard bust territory. You really hate to see a guy everyone was touting as the next Andrew Luck go out there and look like the 2nd coming of Gabbert. All the physical tools, but just can't produce on Sundays.

OMG, I can't believe that people are calling a rookie QB with a rookie HC, horrible O-line, and no playmaking WR's a bust.  Absolutely ridiculous.  

The Jags have the least talented roster in the NFL and until they start drafting and developing around TL, he won't see his full potential.

@no, the problem is the QB. It's got to be, that's what it's always been, and will continue to be, until time ends.@

(11-29-2021, 01:57 AM)IndyJagsFan Wrote: I love the desperate Lawrence believers who just keep generating excuse after excuse. Nothing he does on the field will have any effect on your ESPN/Media driven belief that he "has" to be great because all these folks who pimped him endlessly and breathlessly couldn't possibly be wrong.
Well the guy you ran outta town had the same cast of low rent teammates and a lame duck coaching staff full of misfits.
Here's how he started last season before he broke his thumb on his throwing hand: 19/20 with 3 TDS and O INTs against an above average Colts defense .
Then 27/35 for 3TDs and 1 INT on the road against a final four Titans team on the road.

Let me know when the can't miss "Generational Talent" we have under center has one game that comes within shouting distance of either of those performances. I

...was his thumb healed up this offseason? Remember when he was given half the snaps offensively all preseason, and couldn't even beat out CJB?

Wait, you may be onto something. The SHew was full go this year, no injury to speak of, and looked MISERABLE all preseason long. Maybe it's not the QB in either of these situations that merits the scrutiny?

Good catch!

(11-29-2021, 02:22 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: XD I remember wanting us to go double down during the '20 draft on Lamb and Jefferson as the draft unfolded and was told "we have a good wr core"

If Lamb and Jefferson came to the Jags, they'd be playing like Ace Sanders and Mike Sims Walker.  It's just the way things go.  I mean, what other team could make Trevor Lawrence look like Trevor Simian

(11-28-2021, 06:48 PM)Predator Wrote: Too many routine throws are lacking accuracy.

Even on a lot of his completions, his ball placement is bad forcing the receiver to adjust either loosing their momentum  allowing the defender to catch them or forcing them to reach to the point they fall down after the catch.

I know the receiving group isn't very good, but Trevor isn't doing a good job at hitting guys in stride causing them to miss out on a lot of YAC opportunities.

Two of our biggest pass plays were the result of amazing one handed catches because the placement was off.

He has got to get better at that if he is going to take his game to the next level.

Agreed completely.

This is where a good QB coach would intervene.

Do we have a good QB coach?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(11-29-2021, 10:55 AM)Bullseye Wrote:

Agreed completely.

I'd be interested in hearing about a few QB's and coaches that fixed accuracy issues. It should be fairly easy to find, right? 

Meanwhile in New England: 

https://twitter.com/DougKyed/status/1465332180020834304

(11-29-2021, 02:38 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote:
(11-29-2021, 10:55 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Agreed completely.

I'd be interested in hearing about a few QB's and coaches that fixed accuracy issues. It should be fairly easy to find, right? 

Mac's living the dream. Happy for the kid. He's a Jacksonville native. I would have pissed my pants from sheer excitement knowing I just got drafted by Bill Belichick who just dropped $140M [BLEEP] dollars to revamp and retool the entire roster. Tom Brady bailed from New England because the talent was all gone around him. 

It's amazing what happens when you have a pair of viable receiving options at the TE position that makes Bill's system insanely effective. Doesn't hurt having the NFL's No. 1 ranked defense to boot!

They have it all figured out up there. They play sound defense, the offensive line is always technically sound, they run the football effectively and kill you by committee and then they balance the rest of the offense out by not putting too much on the QB and by allowing the system to run itself. 

It's disgustingly effective. And it's also why you don't hire a college coach with no NFL experience to take on the responsibilities and demands of the NFL. Not looking forward to seeing this game in a few weeks. Belichick is going to destroy anything Bevell plans and Cullen's going to get schooled. 

Yikes.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

This is what happens when you get good coaching.

Unlike Trevor throwing 200mph fast ball finger breakers 5 yards away.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

There were a lot of similar sentiments expressed about Trevor in the off season. The reality of it is Jones is being put on a position to succeed by Belichick and McDaniels, while Lawrence has spent this season being put in position to fail by Khan's decision to put an idiot in charge.

At some point Americans need to come to understand that "skill sets" don't usually transfer, and just like business experience has nothing to do with governing, college coaching success has nothing to do with NFL coaching success.

(11-29-2021, 03:27 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(11-29-2021, 02:38 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: I'd be interested in hearing about a few QB's and coaches that fixed accuracy issues. It should be fairly easy to find, right? 

There were a lot of similar sentiments expressed about Trevor in the off season. The reality of it is Jones is being put on a position to succeed by Belichick and McDaniels, while Lawrence has spent this season being put in position to fail by Khan's decision to put an idiot in charge.

At some point Americans need to come to understand that "skill sets" don't usually transfer, and just like business experience has nothing to do with governing, college coaching success has nothing to do with NFL coaching success.

NO politics.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-29-2021, 02:22 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: XD I remember wanting us to go double down during the '20 draft on Lamb and Jefferson as the draft unfolded and was told "we have a good wr core"

That would have been so nice. It's like drafting jimmy smith and k mccardell together.