Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
ESPN: Meyer not prepared basic functions of the NFL according to SeldomRite

(11-30-2021, 03:35 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(11-30-2021, 03:24 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Brian Kelly wasn't interested in leaving.....

Lincoln Riley wasn't interested in leaving....

It ain’t happening.

It ain’t happening because Notre Dame isn’t interested. Oh how the mighty have fallen - could you imagine a decade or two ago LSU being a more desirable job than Notre Dame?
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-30-2021, 03:35 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(11-30-2021, 03:24 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Brian Kelly wasn't interested in leaving.....

Lincoln Riley wasn't interested in leaving....

It ain’t happening.

There is tons of speculation that Notre Dame has their sights on Cincinnati head coach Luke Fickell. When asked, Fickell danced a round the question and pretended like he didn't even know the position was open. It's obvious that he's interested.

(11-30-2021, 05:44 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(11-30-2021, 03:35 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: It ain’t happening.

It ain’t happening because Notre Dame isn’t interested. Oh how the mighty have fallen - could you imagine a decade or two ago LSU being a more desirable job than Notre Dame?

And you know this how?

ESPN reports coach meyer is NOT interested in ANY college job.

(11-30-2021, 07:06 PM)Jag88 Wrote: ESPN reports coach meyer is NOT interested in ANY college job.
Urban is definitely a man of his word.

In contrast to the college game, I dont think coach meyer sees the jags job as a high pressure situation. He is done with college and accomplished everything he wanted to there. I think hes enjoying the challenge of trying to help turn around a 1-15 team that only has had about what seems like 1 winning season in 20 years. Yes, some here on this board dont like him but tough cookies. It is what it is. I think he needs to be more aggressive with his coaches especially his offensive coordinator to get the offense going asap. I'm not going to rubber stamp everything so far this season, but this team has been atrocious for years. I'm not going to he on my high horse judging. I'm going to hope and cheer the jags on. It's a bit more than half way through year 1. Let's go jags.

(11-30-2021, 09:43 PM)Jag88 Wrote: In contrast to the college game, I dont think coach meyer sees the jags job as a high pressure situation.  He is done with college and accomplished everything he wanted to there.  I think hes enjoying the challenge of trying to help turn around a 1-15 team that only  has had about what seems like 1 winning season in 20 years. Yes, some (the overwheming majority) here on this board dont like him but tough cookies. It is what it is. I think he needs to be more aggressive with his coaches especially his offensive coordinator to get the offense going asap. I'm not going to rubber stamp everything so far this season, but this team has been atrocious for years. I'm not going to he on my high horse judging. I'm going to hope and cheer the jags on. It's a bit more than half way through year 1. Let's go jags.

FTFY

(11-30-2021, 02:18 PM)Doc Holliday904 Wrote: Some fans gave Meyer 1 calendar year to fix a decade of terrible coaching and drafting

No, we gave him one year to show that he was a competent NFL head coach.  He failed miserably.

(11-30-2021, 09:43 PM)Jag88 Wrote: In contrast to the college game, I dont think coach meyer sees the jags job as a high pressure situation.  He is done with college and accomplished everything he wanted to there.  I think hes enjoying the challenge of trying to help turn around a 1-15 team that only  has had about what seems like 1 winning season in 20 years. Yes, some here on this board dont like him but tough cookies. It is what it is. I think he needs to be more aggressive with his coaches especially his offensive coordinator to get the offense going asap. I'm not going to rubber stamp everything so far this season, but this team has been atrocious for years. I'm not going to he on my high horse judging. I'm going to hope and cheer the jags on. It's a bit more than half way through year 1. Let's go jags.

Herein lies the rub.

If you want to succeed in this league, you have to consider the job a high pressure one. This isn't a 9-to-5 desk job. You don't win in this job by gladhanding boosters, relying on smooth salesmanship to build a better roster, or set your gameplan solely on "have bigger, faster, or simply more players than the other team" like you can in the lower league.

He's not the first to fall vicitim to this overconfidence. The question now becomes, can he learn from the mistakes, change, and flourish? Like you, as long as we're stuck with him, I'll hope for that, but I haven't seen much if anything to put my doubts to rest.

(11-30-2021, 09:43 PM)Jag88 Wrote: In contrast to the college game, I dont think coach meyer sees the jags job as a high pressure situation.  He is done with college and accomplished everything he wanted to there.  I think hes enjoying the challenge of trying to help turn around a 1-15 team that only  has had about what seems like 1 winning season in 20 years. Yes, some here on this board dont like him but tough cookies. It is what it is. I think he needs to be more aggressive with his coaches especially his offensive coordinator to get the offense going asap. I'm not going to rubber stamp everything so far this season, but this team has been atrocious for years. I'm not going to he on my high horse judging. I'm going to hope and cheer the jags on. It's a bit more than half way through year 1. Let's go jags.
That's the spirit!

Just a fun side gig. Love that attitude in my coach.

The gals on the radio had an interesting thought last night, one said she thought Urbz was just brought here to be the figurehead and it was with the understanding that he wouldn't be doing much coaching at all. Instead they hired several guys with HC experience to run the show while Urban plays golf and conducts press conferences. It kind of explains why he doesn't know anything about game planning, roster management, the actual name of the team they are playing each week, and that his QB actually knows how to run a QB sneak. He's just here to keep the team in the news, not to actually do anything with the on-field product. Conspiracy Theory-like, but close enough to an explanation of the [BLEEP] show we see every day to make you wonder a bit.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(12-01-2021, 11:02 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: The gals on the radio had an interesting thought last night, one said she thought Urbz was just brought here to be the figurehead and it was with the understanding that he wouldn't be doing much coaching at all. Instead they hired several guys with HC experience to run the show while Urban plays golf and conducts press conferences. It kind of explains why he doesn't know anything about game planning, roster management, the actual name of the team they are playing each week, and that his QB actually knows how to run a QB sneak. He's just here to keep the team in the news, not to actually do anything with the on-field product. Conspiracy Theory-like, but close enough to an explanation of the [BLEEP] show we see every day to make you wonder a bit.

It makes sense to a degree, but if that's the case, then he should be easy to move on from after these results. 

If he sticks, I'd wager Khan envisions more from him than that particular speculation.

(This post was last modified: 12-01-2021, 12:18 PM by Jag88. Edited 1 time in total.)

I hate to break the news but a lot of head coaches do not call their own plays. They are CEOs many times. Look at coach Tomlin for the steelers. There are plenty of other head coaches who are there to be a ceo and motivator. Coach meyer did a good job hiring Cullen, but he needs to change the offensive coordinator asap.

(12-01-2021, 12:14 PM)Jag88 Wrote: I hate to break the news but a lot of head coaches do not call their own plays. They are CEOs many times. Look at coach Tomlin for the steelers. There are plenty of other head coaches who are there to be a ceo and motivator.

This is not about calling plays. We are WAAAYYYYY beyond that.

We're talking about not having a basic understanding of how NFL free agency works until the deadline is upon you and someone has to explain it. 

We're talking about a complete and utter inability to evaluate pro talent on your own inherited roster that you've been given personnel control over.

We're talking about not intervening when one of your coordinator's is being pencil-whipped for 3 quarters of football.

We're talking about admitting ignorance about your own team/roster and the league it plays in during press conferences nearly every week.

This guy is a clown. Plain and simple.

(12-01-2021, 12:20 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-01-2021, 12:14 PM)Jag88 Wrote: I hate to break the news but a lot of head coaches do not call their own plays. They are CEOs many times. Look at coach Tomlin for the steelers. There are plenty of other head coaches who are there to be a ceo and motivator.

We're talking about not having a basic understanding of how NFL free agency works until the deadline is upon you and someone has to explain it. 

We're talking about a complete and utter inability to evaluate pro talent on your own inherited roster that you've been given personnel control over.

We're talking about not intervening when one of your coordinator's is being pencil-whipped for 3 quarters of football.

We're talking about admitting ignorance about your own team/roster and the league it plays in during press conferences nearly every week.

[Image: rd1pn.jpg]

Body. Bag.

Hammer meet nail

(12-01-2021, 11:02 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: The gals on the radio had an interesting thought last night, one said she thought Urbz was just brought here to be the figurehead and it was with the understanding that he wouldn't be doing much coaching at all. Instead they hired several guys with HC experience to run the show while Urban plays golf and conducts press conferences. It kind of explains why he doesn't know anything about game planning, roster management, the actual name of the team they are playing each week, and that his QB actually knows how to run a QB sneak. He's just here to keep the team in the news, not to actually do anything with the on-field product. Conspiracy Theory-like, but close enough to an explanation of the [BLEEP] show we see every day to make you wonder a bit.

If this is even approaching the truth, Khan is dumber with his money than any of us ever thought. 12 mill a year on a marketing tool? Not to mention the disbelief required to assume a coordinator is gonna be fine making a lot less to be doing the HC work with none of the accolades if things go great.

(12-01-2021, 03:22 PM)Mikey Wrote:

If this is even approaching the truth, Khan is dumber with his money than any of us ever thought. 12 mill a year on a marketing tool? Not to mention the disbelief required to assume a coordinator is gonna be fine making a lot less to be doing the HC work with none of the accolades if things go great.

Assumes they knew.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(12-01-2021, 03:45 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-01-2021, 03:22 PM)Mikey Wrote: If this is even approaching the truth, Khan is dumber with his money than any of us ever thought. 12 mill a year on a marketing tool? Not to mention the disbelief required to assume a coordinator is gonna be fine making a lot less to be doing the HC work with none of the accolades if things go great.

Assumes they knew.

We can't assume they would care. Bevell probably didn't think the team would be so short on offensive talent a few weeks into the season.

Regardless of anything else success as a coordinator in the NFL leads to more opportunities. Whether Urban is just as marketing tool or not, if a coordinator believed they had a legitimate chance to succeed they're likely to jump at it and get their own head coaching gig as soon as possible.

Look at Cullen, in a few years, if he keeps helping the defense get better, he could be in line for his own shot at coaching a team.