Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Draft Questions

Man idc if we're picking at 3 im taking williamson

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Right now, we're up to #2.

(12-07-2021, 04:19 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Right now, we're up to #2.

Right now, Detroit is better than we are.

If we played head to head, I think they beat us.

Without looking at the schedules, it would not be a surprise to see us end up with the top overall pick.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(12-07-2021, 07:02 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(12-07-2021, 04:19 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Right now, we're up to #2.

Right now, Detroit is better than we are.

Without looking at the schedules, it would not be a surprise to see us end up with the top overall pick.

Agreed, but how can Khan justify keeping Meyer after basically giving him free reign to get the staff and players he wanted, if we just end up picking #1 for the second year in a row?

(12-07-2021, 07:13 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-07-2021, 07:02 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Right now, Detroit is better than we are.

Agreed, but how can Khan justify keeping Meyer after basically giving him free reign to get the staff and players he wanted, if we just end up picking #1 for the second year in a row?
Lions have the worst roster in the league but they play hard every single week. They should have a few more wins but have had some awful breaks (including a 60+ yard field goal from Tucker).

I don't know, but he'll try to manage.

Right now, UM is looking like the worst ever Jaguars coaching hire.  Confidence in this coach seems at an all time low.  I've never seen more antipathy towards a Jaguars coach than what we are seeing with UM.  But the team looks flat out bad on way too many levels to say otherwise.

I was opposed to the UM hire then, and it makes no sense now.

If Khan thought that TL was the key to keeping the Jaguars in Jacksonville, why not hire a coach that has a proven history of working with successful NFL QBs?  Even if the guy failed as a coach overall, if TL is developed properly, it would have long term benefits for the team that would transcend the bad coach.

I would have hired Pederson as soon as the Eagles fired him.

(12-07-2021, 07:51 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(12-07-2021, 07:13 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Agreed, but how can Khan justify keeping Meyer after basically giving him free reign to get the staff and players he wanted, if we just end up picking #1 for the second year in a row?

Right now, UM is looking like the worst ever Jaguars coaching hire.  Confidence in this coach seems at an all time low.  I've never seen more antipathy towards a Jaguars coach than what we are seeing with UM.  But the team looks flat out bad on way too many levels to say otherwise.

If Khan thought that TL was the key to keeping the Jaguars in Jacksonville, why not hire a coach that has a proven history of working with successful NFL QBs?  Even if the guy failed as a coach overall, if TL is developed properly, it would have long term benefits for the team that would transcend the bad coach.

Totally agree. I liked Pederson as well, although admittedly, I was pounding the table for Brian Daboll. Either would've been a massive upgrade over the debacle we have now. Like you, I hated the Urban Meyer hiring. Some people on the board were giving him the benefit of the doubt, because he won everywhere he went in college. College football is a much, much different animal than the NFL is, in terms of coaching though. 75% of college coaching is recruiting, especially at schools like Ohio State and Florida where you're almost certainly gonna get some of the best players in the country. In the NFL, you're dealing with grown men who care about two things, winning and money. He came to a franchise with a long, long history of losing. You can't recruit your way into a winning record in the NFL. You have to put in the work, find the best players for your team via the draft, convince the best possible FA's to come here and hire competent coaches to put the best players on the field, coach them up and make effective game plans. That's the only way to win in the NFL. 

Meyer came in totally clueless and he remains clueless to this day. He admittedly had no clue how free agency worked. He drafted a ton of players who have yet to see any significant playing time despite being behind talentless starters leftover from a 1-15 team. He hired and kept some of the worst coaches in the NFL and in spite of being the "boss" of this operation, when major blunders are made he is quick to place blame on others. We went from being a very bad team into a complete clown show. He should be completely embarrassed and humiliated by the useless product he puts out on the field every week, but since he has no integrity, he's gonna keep riding this "cash cow" until it drops dead.

(This post was last modified: 12-08-2021, 10:03 AM by Mikey.)

Simple.

Khan has end of season meeting with Meyer to review the state of the franchise, what worked, what didn't, and whether the two should continue this venture or part ways. He then allows Meyer to state his case, in which he turns on that recruiter's charm and fills the owner's head with empty promises of potential, future plans, and excuses why everything hit the fan this season.

Khan falls for it hook, line, and sinker.

(12-07-2021, 07:51 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(12-07-2021, 07:13 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Agreed, but how can Khan justify keeping Meyer after basically giving him free reign to get the staff and players he wanted, if we just end up picking #1 for the second year in a row?

Because [random OC from some team with the experience you describe] wasn't as "sexy" a hire as Urban Meyer. Khan wanted the media and fans to fall in love with the hire and completely forget the decade of ineptitude that led to this point.

(12-08-2021, 12:58 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-07-2021, 07:51 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I don't know, but he'll try to manage.

Totally agree. I liked Pederson as well, although admittedly, I was pounding the table for Brian Daboll. Either would've been a massive upgrade over the debacle we have now. Like you, I hated the Urban Meyer hiring. Some people on the board were giving him the benefit of the doubt, because he won everywhere he went in college. College football is a much, much different animal than the NFL is, in terms of coaching though. 75% of college coaching is recruiting, especially at schools like Ohio State and Florida where you're almost certainly gonna get some of the best players in the country. In the NFL, you're dealing with grown men who care about two things, winning and money. He came to a franchise with a long, long history of losing. You can't recruit your way into a winning record in the NFL. You have to put in the work, find the best players for your team via the draft, convince the best possible FA's to come here and hire competent coaches to put the best players on the field, coach them up and make effective game plans. That's the only way to win in the NFL. 

Meyer came in totally clueless and he remains clueless to this day. He admittedly had no clue how free agency worked. He drafted a ton of players who have yet to see any significant playing time despite being behind talentless starters leftover from a 1-15 team. He hired and kept some of the worst coaches in the NFL and in spite of being the "boss" of this operation, when major blunders are made he is quick to place blame on others. We went from being a very bad team into a complete clown show. He should be completely embarrassed and humiliated by the useless product he puts out on the field every week, but since he has no integrity, he's gonna keep riding this "cash cow" until it drops dead.

Had Pederson not tanked the last game, he might have been in the running, but I have a feeling that negative press was an instant deal breaker for Shad. Pederson needed some time away for that subject to die down.

I said from day one hiring the coach before the GM was a bad move (it may be working in CLE, they hired Stefanski first, but exceptions do not always make a new rule), and especially with the tools that we had, it almost mandated that we bring in someone familiar with scouting, draft, development, and FA acquisition. We did the very opposite, and have dookie to show for our headline-grabbing hire.

(12-08-2021, 10:09 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(12-08-2021, 12:58 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Totally agree. I liked Pederson as well, although admittedly, I was pounding the table for Brian Daboll. Either would've been a massive upgrade over the debacle we have now. Like you, I hated the Urban Meyer hiring. Some people on the board were giving him the benefit of the doubt, because he won everywhere he went in college. College football is a much, much different animal than the NFL is, in terms of coaching though. 75% of college coaching is recruiting, especially at schools like Ohio State and Florida where you're almost certainly gonna get some of the best players in the country. In the NFL, you're dealing with grown men who care about two things, winning and money. He came to a franchise with a long, long history of losing. You can't recruit your way into a winning record in the NFL. You have to put in the work, find the best players for your team via the draft, convince the best possible FA's to come here and hire competent coaches to put the best players on the field, coach them up and make effective game plans. That's the only way to win in the NFL. 

Had Pederson not tanked the last game, he might have been in the running, but I have a feeling that negative press was an instant deal breaker for Shad. Pederson needed some time away for that subject to die down.

I said from day one hiring the coach before the GM was a bad move (it may be working in CLE, they hired Stefanski first, but exceptions do not always make a new rule), and especially with the tools that we had, it almost mandated that we bring in someone familiar with scouting, draft, development, and FA acquisition. We did the very opposite, and have dookie to show for our headline-grabbing hire.

Let's say you were/ are right. Who would you have preferred as GM? Which HC would you have preferred?

(12-12-2021, 05:35 PM)DTWD4∞ Wrote:
(12-08-2021, 10:09 AM)Mikey Wrote: Had Pederson not tanked the last game, he might have been in the running, but I have a feeling that negative press was an instant deal breaker for Shad. Pederson needed some time away for that subject to die down.

Let's say you were/ are right. Who would you have preferred as GM? Which HC would you have preferred?

I would have to do interviews with people before I made a final decision on who to hire, but I would bring in people with proven resumes. Here would be my candidates. 

GM

John Spytek, VP of Player Personnel for Tampa Bay

Brandt Tilis, VP of Football Operations for Kansas City

Matt Harriss, Director of Football Administration for Arizona

Head Coach

Brian Daboll, Offensive Coordinator for Buffalo

Shane Bowen, Defensive Coordinator for Tennessee

Joe Lombardi, Offensive Coordinator for L.A. Chargers

Byron Leftwich, Offensive Coordinator for Tampa Bay

(12-12-2021, 06:53 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-12-2021, 05:35 PM)DTWD4∞ Wrote: Let's say you were/ are right. Who would you have preferred as GM? Which HC would you have preferred?

I would have to do interviews with people before I made a final decision on who to hire, but I would bring in people with proven resumes. Here would be my candidates. 

GM

Head Coach

I would add some names to the coaching list.

Doug Pederson, former head coach, Philadelphia.

Mike Zimmer-if fired by Minnesota

Kellen Moore, offensive coordinator, Dallas

I would be wary about Brian Daboll.  I love the way the Bills developed Allen and put pieces around him.  But the Bills steadfastly refuse to run the ball.  Today, no Bills RB ran the ball in the first half.  First time in 30 years that has happened.  The last thing I would want is for Trevor Lawrence to run the ball as much as Josh Allen.

I would also add Thomas Dimitroff and Scott Pioli, former Texans GM Smith, and Phil Kreider (Steelers director of College scouting) as GM candidates.

Dimitroff and Kreider know how rto find WRs (I have ZERO faith in Baalke to find one), and Pioli has been a part of some excellent franchises (NE and KC).  While with the Texans, Smith drafted exceptionally well at every position other than QB.  With TL, Smith wouldn't have to worry about that.

(12-12-2021, 06:53 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-12-2021, 05:35 PM)DTWD4∞ Wrote: Let's say you were/ are right. Who would you have preferred as GM? Which HC would you have preferred?

GM

Head Coach

I like your first two GM candidates and Bullseye's Smith and Pioli candidates.

HC candidates, I am with Bullseye about Dabol but not Pederson. I like the idea of Byron coming home to coach the Jags as well or even Kellen Moore. but not a defensive coach. I think Cullen is going to pan out just fine as DC so we don't need another defensive mind.

(12-12-2021, 07:22 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(12-12-2021, 06:53 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I would have to do interviews with people before I made a final decision on who to hire, but I would bring in people with proven resumes. Here would be my candidates. 

GM

Head Coach

I would add some names to the coaching list.

I would be wary about Brian Daboll.  I love the way the Bills developed Allen and put pieces around him.  But the Bills steadfastly refuse to run the ball.  Today, no Bills RB ran the ball in the first half.  First time in 30 years that has happened.  The last thing I would want is for Trevor Lawrence to run the ball as much as Josh Allen.

I would also add Thomas Dimitroff and Scott Pioli, former Texans GM Smith, and Phil Kreider (Steelers director of College scouting) as GM candidates.

Dimitroff and Kreider know how rto find WRs (I have ZERO faith in Baalke to find one), and Pioli has been a part of some excellent franchises (NE and KC).  While with the Texans, Smith drafted exceptionally well at every position other than QB.  With TL, Smith wouldn't have to worry about that.

Part of the reason Buffalo isn't running the ball is that they lack talent at RB and they need help on the interior O-Line. I fully expect them to address RB either in the first or second round of the draft. They also desperately need another receiver. When Diggs is covered, Allen has no one else to go to and many times he is forces to run. I thought they would have addressed WR in the last draft, but they didn't. 

I almost added Kellen Moore to my list. I wouldn't be opposed to giving him an interview or even Mike Zimmer, although I believe Zimmer is best as a Defensive Coordinator. I was a big fan of Pederson until he tanked the game against Washington. 

I don't want Dimitroff, Pioli or Smith at all. They are just failed GM's as far as I'm concerned. I hate retreads. Kreider I'm lukewarm on.

(This post was last modified: 12-12-2021, 07:51 PM by Bullseye. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-12-2021, 07:37 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-12-2021, 07:22 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I would add some names to the coaching list.

Part of the reason Buffalo isn't running the ball is that they lack talent at RB and they need help on the interior O-Line. I fully expect them to address RB either in the first or second round of the draft. They also desperately need another receiver. When Diggs is covered, Allen has no one else to go to and many times he is forces to run. I thought they would have addressed WR in the last draft, but they didn't. 

I almost added Kellen Moore to my list. I wouldn't be opposed to giving him an interview or even Mike Zimmer, although I believe Zimmer is best as a Defensive Coordinator. I was a big fan of Pederson until he tanked the game against Washington. 

I don't want Dimitroff, Pioli or Smith at all. They are just failed GM's as far as I'm concerned. I hate retreads. Kreider I'm lukewarm on.
Disagree on Rick Smith.

Any guy who can draft JJ Watt, DeAndre Hopkins, Bernardrick McKinney, Jadeveon Clowney, Brian Cushing, etc, is actually pretty good.

As for Kreider, look at the WR's he's found for the Steelers:

JuJu Smith Schuster
Antonio Brown
Dionte Johnson
Chase Claypool

There is a former Jaguars scout-Rick Reiprish-who is currently in the Steelers' scouting staff.

Maybe I bring him back to run our drafts.

As for Daboll, I'd rather he run inferior RBs than subject my franchise QB to increased risk by running him more. But to be honest, I don't think their OL-when healthy-or their RBs are that bad. They dopn't need to be a dominant running attack to win...just be competent. That group is capable of being competent, especially with the passing attack Buffahole has.

(12-08-2021, 10:09 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(12-08-2021, 12:58 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Totally agree. I liked Pederson as well, although admittedly, I was pounding the table for Brian Daboll. Either would've been a massive upgrade over the debacle we have now. Like you, I hated the Urban Meyer hiring. Some people on the board were giving him the benefit of the doubt, because he won everywhere he went in college. College football is a much, much different animal than the NFL is, in terms of coaching though. 75% of college coaching is recruiting, especially at schools like Ohio State and Florida where you're almost certainly gonna get some of the best players in the country. In the NFL, you're dealing with grown men who care about two things, winning and money. He came to a franchise with a long, long history of losing. You can't recruit your way into a winning record in the NFL. You have to put in the work, find the best players for your team via the draft, convince the best possible FA's to come here and hire competent coaches to put the best players on the field, coach them up and make effective game plans. That's the only way to win in the NFL. 

Given the [BLEEP] show that has been the Urban Meyer era, I think Shad is now immune to the whole bad press thing.

(12-12-2021, 07:48 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(12-12-2021, 07:37 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Part of the reason Buffalo isn't running the ball is that they lack talent at RB and they need help on the interior O-Line. I fully expect them to address RB either in the first or second round of the draft. They also desperately need another receiver. When Diggs is covered, Allen has no one else to go to and many times he is forces to run. I thought they would have addressed WR in the last draft, but they didn't. 

Disagree on Rick Smith.

Any guy who can draft JJ Watt, DeAndre Hopkins, Bernardrick McKinney, Jadeveon Clowney, Brian Cushing, etc, is actually pretty good.

JuJu Smith Schuster
Antonio Brown
Dionte Johnson
Chase Claypool

There is a former Jaguars scout-Rick Reiprish-who is currently in the Steelers' scouting staff.

As for Daboll, I'd rather he run inferior RBs than subject my franchise QB to increased risk by running him more.  But to be honest, I don't think their OL-when healthy-or their RBs are that bad.  They dopn't need to be a dominant running attack to win...just be competent.  That group is capable of being competent, especially with the passing attack Buffahole has.

I'm definitely not a fan of Ju-Ju Smith Schuster or Dionte Johnson, so that doesn't really sway my vote. Smith-Schuster is an average receiver with maturity issues and Johnson is fast, but has some of the worst hands in the NFL. He had 15 drops in 2020. 

I didn't say I would hire Daboll, but I do think he warrants an interview. Something I have learned over the last few years is never to assume someone is right for the job just by reputation. You need to actually talk to them to make sure they aren't a jerk who would create a cancerous environment within the team. Personality is an important trait to creating a winning culture. You need someone who can be tough when they have to be, fair in everything and personable, so players don't hate him. I don't care if we interview someone from every team in the NFL, as long as we hire the right people.

(12-12-2021, 08:05 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-12-2021, 07:48 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Disagree on Rick Smith.

JuJu Smith Schuster
Antonio Brown
Dionte Johnson
Chase Claypool

As for Daboll, I'd rather he run inferior RBs than subject my franchise QB to increased risk by running him more.  But to be honest, I don't think their OL-when healthy-or their RBs are that bad.  They dopn't need to be a dominant running attack to win...just be competent.  That group is capable of being competent, especially with the passing attack Buffahole has.

I'm definitely not a fan of Ju-Ju Smith Schuster or Dionte Johnson, so that doesn't really sway my vote. Smith-Schuster is an average receiver with maturity issues and Johnson is fast, but has some of the worst hands in the NFL. He had 15 drops in 2020. 

I didn't say I would hire Daboll, but I do think he warrants an interview. Something I have learned over the last few years is never to assume someone is right for the job just by reputation. You need to actually talk to them to make sure they aren't a jerk who would create a cancerous environment within the team. Personality is an important trait to creating a winning culture. You need someone who can be tough when they have to be, fair in everything and personable, so players don't hate him. I don't care if we interview someone from every team in the NFL, as long as we hire the right people.

To be clear, I never asserted Daboll did not warrant a interview, only that I have some misgivings about his approach to the running game.  From a QB development standpoint, given his exemplary work with Josh Allen, he certainly warrants an interview.

As for the Steelers WRs...JSS is a capable slot WR, which is more than I can say for Shenault.  Dionte Johnson does have issues with his hands, but he makes enough plays to where he represents vast improvement over our current group of healthy WRs. 

But I agree completely with your closing sentence.  I absolutely agree.  But I think Baalke needs to go.  I think he would hinder our coaching search, not only because of his reputed abrasive personality, but because I don't think many NFL guys would trust him to get the players needed to win.

Lmao how are you not a fan of Diontae Johnson? He is one of the very best route runners in the league he is open allll the time. And he fixed his drops issues he has 1 this year.

(12-12-2021, 08:22 PM)Upper Wrote: Lmao how are you not a fan of Diontae Johnson? He is one of the very best route runners in the league he is open allll the time. And he fixed his drops issues he has 1 this year.
Dude is so open that Ben can actually complete a pass to him.

Diontae is a stud. Reminds me of when people starting saying how good Diggs was before he got national attention. I would trade for Diontae in a heartbeat.