Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Head Coach Candidates (Merged Threads)

Apologies if posted already...but this from Jason LaCanfora...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/trevo...-failures/

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-22-2021, 05:00 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(12-22-2021, 01:19 PM)NoShoes Wrote: It’s a wayyyyyyy different age. It shouldn’t have been acceptable then and sure isn’t now.

If he can coach, he’ll get his due. I bet he can, and I also bet he can relate to todays players extremely well and lure some free agents.

Don't be too sure. 

There was a lot of antipathy towards Leftwich when he was here.  There was more hatred towards him than any other Jaguars' QB.

I would say Urban Meyer is the only Jaguar more despised by the fanbase.

Wow.  I don't remember it that way.  But then, I've been a lurker throughout the years and not been uber-active in posting.  My recollection was him being bagged on much more as a player than a person (though there was certainly that vocal element, too).

I would like to have him as an OC.  But, imo, he does not have enough experience yet to make the jump to HC.  I'd rather have a Caldwell, McDaniels, or Pederson.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(12-22-2021, 06:03 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Apologies if posted already...but this from Jason LaCanfora...

Even though his first season has been less than stellar, the tools he possesses both physically and mentally are obvious. The right coach and able receivers will make him an unstoppable force.

(12-22-2021, 05:55 PM)Jag149 Wrote: No Leftwich please, stop trying sell us on him. No Leftwich please, stop trying sell us on him. No Leftwich please, stop trying sell us on him. No Leftwich please, stop trying sell us on him.
No Leftwich please, stop trying sell us on him. No Leftwich please, stop trying sell us on him. No Leftwich please, stop trying sell us on him. No Leftwich please, stop trying sell us on him.
No Leftwich please, stop trying sell us on him. No Leftwich please, stop trying sell us on him. No Leftwich please, stop trying sell us on him. No Leftwich please, stop trying sell us on him.

Why not Leftwich?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(12-22-2021, 06:29 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(12-22-2021, 06:03 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Apologies if posted already...but this from Jason LaCanfora...

Even though his first season has been less than stellar, the tools he possesses both physically and mentally are obvious. The right coach and able receivers will make him an unstoppable force.

Absolutely agree.

I have long thought that if TL busts, it would be more of an organizational failing than his.

Based upon everything I've seen, he has the intangibles and leadership ability, on top of his considerable physical tools.

Getting him the right coaching will go a long way into ensuring he does not bust.

I didn’t like the part about Trevor advocating for Bevell, who’ll be given HC consideration.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(12-22-2021, 05:00 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(12-22-2021, 01:19 PM)NoShoes Wrote: It’s a wayyyyyyy different age. It shouldn’t have been acceptable then and sure isn’t now.

If he can coach, he’ll get his due. I bet he can, and I also bet he can relate to todays players extremely well and lure some free agents.

Don't be too sure. 

There was a lot of antipathy towards Leftwich when he was here.  There was more hatred towards him than any other Jaguars' QB.

I don't understand why though. I never had a problem with Leftwich. I blamed Harris and Jack Del Rio more than anything during those years as a teenager. It always bothered me that they shipped off Brunell, drafted Leftwich and completely erased the fact that Garrard had potential much earlier on in his career. 

They never really gave these guys a chance. I think it was just for the sake of being edgy or splashy at the time. Brunell took the Washington Football team to the play-offs with Joe Gibbs so he still had some football left in the tank then. 

Garrard could have developed into the next McNair or McNabb. I still remember that run he broke off in a blowout loss to the clots on the road where he was so strong from pulling away from a defender on a crazy run downfield that his jersey was ripped off partially. 

I will say this though about Harris and Del Rio. They were never this awful over the last 10 years. They also tried to add pieces around their QB. Reggie Williams, Ernest Wilford, Greg Jones, Matt Jones, Marcedes Lewis, Maurice Jones-Drew, Mike Sims-Walker, Mike Thomas, Zach Miller, Cecil Shorts, Justin Blackmon, etc. 

They took some shots. They missed some. They won some. They also picked up some pretty solid defensive players here and there as well. Looking back on it, as much as we may have [BLEEP] and complained. They were at least consistently showing some level of competency in, let's be honest, a much, much more difficult AFC South to compete in during that time. You still had Manning in his prime and McNair to contest with around those days. The tinhorns also had a formidable offense for a good stretch.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Let's be serious guys. The only real success Byron has had was the last year. So for him to do that here all we need to do is:
1. Get Ariens and Brady to sit down and game plan developing a list of plays for him to select from.
2. Recruit the GOAT quarterback.
3. Have the GOAT QB make him look good by reading the defense and switching out of bad plays.
4. Have that GOAT QB and Tampa's front office recruit skill free agents.
5. Develop an offensive line like they have.
6. Hire a defensive coordinator that needs little to NO guidance.

Really?
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2021, 08:27 PM by TrivialPursuit. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-22-2021, 07:50 PM)Jag149 Wrote: Let's be serious guys. The only real success Byron has had was the last year. So for him to do that here all we need to do is:
1. Get Ariens and Brady to sit down and game plan developing a list of plays for him to select from.
3. Have the GOAT QB make him look good by reading the defense and switching out of bad plays.

Really?

AKA

He didn't talk like white folk and wore his hat sideways when he was here......

Dude.... Byron is probably smarter than any coach we ever had here. Let that sink in.

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2021, 10:07 PM by Jag149. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-22-2021, 08:26 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(12-22-2021, 07:50 PM)Jag149 Wrote: Let's be serious guys. The only real success Byron has had was the last year. So for him to do that here all we need to do is:

Really?

AKA

He didn't talk like white folk and wore his hat sideways when he was here......

Dude.... Byron is probably smarter than any coach we ever had here. Let that sink in.

Dude? Well the items you mentioned have no place in my opinion of Byron. Maybe yours, but not mine. I am not discussing how smart anyone is or their personal style. I am pointing out it would be very difficult to create the environment..the only environment in my opinion he has been successful. While he was our QB I actually supported him despite his long wind up...it was kinda like a baseball pitcher throwing from the stretch. He has no head coaching experience, good or bad. We need someone who has had that responsibility.  Please since you do not know me, assume things you have no way of knowing or put words in my mouth.

(12-22-2021, 11:58 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/1010XL/status/147382...81699?s=20

So far, Pederson is the most popular choice.

He is my preferred choice thus far.  The only person I'd want over him at this point is Sean Payton.

Of course if history is any indicia, the guy I want won't be hired.

(12-22-2021, 07:04 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(12-22-2021, 05:00 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Don't be too sure. 

I don't understand why though. I never had a problem with Leftwich. I blamed Harris and Jack Del Rio more than anything during those years as a teenager. It always bothered me that they shipped off Brunell, drafted Leftwich and completely erased the fact that Garrard had potential much earlier on in his career. 

They never really gave these guys a chance. I think it was just for the sake of being edgy or splashy at the time. Brunell took the Washington Football team to the play-offs with Joe Gibbs so he still had some football left in the tank then. 

Garrard could have developed into the next McNair or McNabb. I still remember that run he broke off in a blowout loss to the clots on the road where he was so strong from pulling away from a defender on a crazy run downfield that his jersey was ripped off partially. 

I will say this though about Harris and Del Rio. They were never this awful over the last 10 years. They also tried to add pieces around their QB. Reggie Williams, Ernest Wilford, Greg Jones, Matt Jones, Marcedes Lewis, Maurice Jones-Drew, Mike Sims-Walker, Mike Thomas, Zach Miller, Cecil Shorts, Justin Blackmon, etc. 

They took some shots. They missed some. They won some. They also picked up some pretty solid defensive players here and there as well. Looking back on it, as much as we may have [BLEEP] and complained. They were at least consistently showing some level of competency in, let's be honest, a much, much more difficult AFC South to compete in during that time. You still had Manning in his prime and McNair to contest with around those days. The tinhorns also had a formidable offense for a good stretch.

Shack's biggest failing was his first round draft picks generally, and his failure at WR and OT specifically.  But the Shack and Jack era wasn't bad at all.  We've seen a steady stream of bad....REALLY bad...after Shack and Jack.  It's sad that right now, the 6-10 or so that got them fired would be almost welcomed here now.

Garrard did not have McNabb's or McNair's decision making or arm.  But he did have some good physical tools.

(12-22-2021, 07:04 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(12-22-2021, 05:00 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Don't be too sure. 

I still haven’t got over them letting Brunell go. I remember when he injured his left elbow or some crap, which sidelined him. I always thought that was him being benched for Leftwich. Brunell went to Washington in his first year and took them to the playoffs. He outplayed Leftwich. 

Then our offense became shotgun because Byron was too clumsy. He threw a screen pass so weird. It was like he was throwing an axe. 

I’m not buying that he can coach. He has Tom Brady!

(This post was last modified: 12-23-2021, 09:22 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 3 times in total.)

(12-23-2021, 08:35 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(12-22-2021, 07:04 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I don't understand why though. I never had a problem with Leftwich. I blamed Harris and Jack Del Rio more than anything during those years as a teenager. It always bothered me that they shipped off Brunell, drafted Leftwich and completely erased the fact that Garrard had potential much earlier on in his career. 

I still haven’t got over them letting Brunell go. I remember when he injured his left elbow or some crap, which sidelined him. I always thought that was him being benched for Leftwich. Brunell went to Washington in his first year and took them to the playoffs. He outplayed Leftwich. 

Then our offense became shotgun because Byron was too clumsy. He threw a screen pass so weird. It was like he was throwing an axe. 

Yes, he has a great QB, which makes things easier.  

On the other hand, that same great QB thinks BL is a great offensive coordinator, meets with him extensively in the offseason, and likes the way he calls the plays and designs the offense.  If you watch the interaction between the two of them during and right after games, you can tell that Tom Brady thinks the world of Byron Leftwich.

And, the head coach, Bruce Arians, says he does nothing with the offense, and it's all Byron Leftwich.

So, yes, Leftwich has a great QB.  Doesn't every offensive coordinator who is perceived as such have a great QB?

(This post was last modified: 12-23-2021, 10:23 AM by Jag149. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-23-2021, 09:18 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(12-23-2021, 08:35 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I still haven’t got over them letting Brunell go. I remember when he injured his left elbow or some crap, which sidelined him. I always thought that was him being benched for Leftwich. Brunell went to Washington in his first year and took them to the playoffs. He outplayed Leftwich. 

Yes, he has a great QB, which makes things easier.  

On the other hand, that same great QB thinks BL is a great offensive coordinator, meets with him extensively in the offseason, and likes the way he calls the plays and designs the offense.  If you watch the interaction between the two of them during and right after games, you can tell that Tom Brady thinks the world of Byron Leftwich.

And, the head coach, Bruce Arians, says he does nothing with the offense, and it's all Byron Leftwich.

So, yes, Leftwich has a great QB.  Doesn't every offensive coordinator who is perceived as such have a great QB?

if all this is true then why have none of the other 31 NFL teams ever tried hired this guy. (or plan to) The only person to hire him is is buddy Ariens. So, Ariens is right and the rest of the league is wrong? If he continues to work as hard as he is now and have continued success he will get his chance, someone will risk it. We do not need to take a CHANCE on this guy, we just finished doing that and the results were less than desirable.

Tom Brady likes him because he keeps his mouth shut, works hard and takes direction from Tom Brady well.

interesting articles...my favorite is the last one...the twitter comments
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/tom-brady...f836eb9347
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/watch-to...07898.html
https://www.joebucsfan.com/2021/09/the-t...o-no-call/

(12-23-2021, 10:12 AM)Jag149 Wrote:
(12-23-2021, 09:18 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Yes, he has a great QB, which makes things easier.  

if all this is true then why have none of the other 31 NFL teams ever tried hired this guy. (or plan to) The only person to hire him is is buddy Ariens. So, Ariens is right and the rest of the league is wrong? If he continues to work as hard as he is now and have continued success he will get his chance, someone will risk it. We do not need to take a CHANCE on this guy, we just finished doing that and the results were less than desirable.

Tom Brady likes him because he keeps his mouth shut, works hard and takes direction from Tom Brady well.

Okay, the bolded part is kind of a dumb statement, because you can say the same thing about every single coach that ever became a head coach, and every single coordinator in the league who has not been a head coach.

(12-23-2021, 10:45 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(12-23-2021, 10:12 AM)Jag149 Wrote: if all this is true then why have none of the other 31 NFL teams ever tried hired this guy. (or plan to) The only person to hire him is is buddy Ariens. So, Ariens is right and the rest of the league is wrong? If he continues to work as hard as he is now and have continued success he will get his chance, someone will risk it. We do not need to take a CHANCE on this guy, we just finished doing that and the results were less than desirable.

Okay, the bolded part is kind of a dumb statement, because you can say the same thing about every single coach that ever became a head coach, and every single coordinator in the league who has not been a head coach.

You could have Bolded his entire post and said it was a dumb statement. Leftwich isn't at the top of my list but this guy's reasoning for not wanting him sounds kinda personal rather than using logic. Guy has been a coordinator on good to great offense his entire time in the league, which hasn't been that long. Most coordinators don't leave their jobs after one or two years to be HCs. Saying the other 31 teams are wrong is just a stupid assessment. Only his "buddy" Arians would hire him. Just dumb all around.

(12-23-2021, 12:37 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://247sports.com/Article/Jacksonvil...178777113/

Martindale at HC with Cullen at DC would make the Jags a defensive powerhouse in 2 years or less. 

I'd dig it, but the OC choice would be CRUCIAL