Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Lawrence Critique (merged)

I was at the game yesterday, I think trevor played very well. He certainly looked better than Zach wilson. Once we have some more playmaker here next year he is going to be just fine.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-27-2021, 07:36 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-27-2021, 04:20 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I'd like to say i'm glad to see more people pointing out the obvious that I have been doing since before we took the kid. But as much as my ego would love to just be right.. wish I wasn't. I want the team to win for [BLEEP] sakes.

2 people agree with you.

One of those is probably an alternate profile.

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2021, 11:36 AM by p_rushing.)

(12-27-2021, 07:38 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: I was at the game yesterday, I think trevor played very well. He certainly looked better than Zach wilson. Once we have some more playmaker here next year he is going to be just fine.
He needs an OL like most QBs to be able to throw. He also needs better coaching and play development.

He is too worried about the rush and doesn't step up enough. He bailed in the Jets game too much when all he had to do was step up and let the ends go by. When he has time, he is making sharp throws. I hope the next coach fixes the OL and then gets some better WRs and he should look completely different.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2021, 12:33 PM by SamusAranX. Edited 4 times in total.)

Also, the Gabbert comparisons show just how impatient and disingenuous these posters are.

Gabbert posted 15 games played in 2011, 14 started, so now is a good time compare the same sample sizes:

Gabbert 2011 Completion Percentage: 50.8
Trevor's 2021 Completion Percentage: 58.7

Gabbert 2011 YPG: 147.6
Lawrence 2021 YPG: 215.0

Gabbert 2011 YPA: 5.4
Lawrence 2021 YPA: 5.9

Gabbert 2011 Yards: 2214
Trevor 2021 Yards: 3225

Gabbert Passer Rating 2011: 65.4
Trevor Passer Rating 2021: 70.6

Gabbert QBR: 22.2
Trevor QBR: 32.5

Gabbert 1D Passing: 111
Trevor 1D Passing: 158

Gabbert Rush Yards /TD's / 1D: 98/ 0/ 8
Trevor: Rush Yards / TD's / 1D: 301/ 2 / 18

Gabbert game winning drives: 0
Trevor game winning drives: 2

Stop with the silliness. Trevor is not playing at a Gabbert "level". He's posting better passing and mobility numbers in almost every category and showing more promise on a roster just as poor as 2011, except even Gabbert had a top 10 defense, a league leading TE in touchdowns, and a rushing title RB. And JDR could outcoach Bevell and Meyer any day. Gabbert also took way more sacks as he tended to curl up and go down under pressure, an observation of all during 2011. Trevor has stepped up in the pocket more times this year then Gabbert could dream of.

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2021, 12:17 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-27-2021, 12:02 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: Also, the Gabbert comparisons show just how impatient and disingenuous these posters are.

Gabbert posted 15 games played in 2011, 14 started, so now is a good time compare the same sample sizes:

Trevor's 2021 Completion Percentage: 58.7

Trevor QBR:

Trevor: Rush Yards / TD's / 1D: 301/ 2 / 18

Stop with the silliness. Trevor is not playing at a Gabbert "level". He's posting better passing and mobility numbers on a roster just as poor as 2011, except even Gabbert had a top 10 defense, a league leading TE in touchdowns, and a rushing title RB. And JDR could outcoach Bevell and Meyer any day. Gabbert also took way more sacks as he tended to curl up and go down under pressure, an observation of all during 2011. Trevor has stepped up in the pocket more times this year then Gabbert could dream of.

I agree that Lawrence is better than Gabbart, but its a little disingenious that you omitted one of the most observed and obvious stats, TD's / Int's. Especially since they are not that different. Why cherry pick and omit such an obvious one? Are you that sensitive of the haters?

Gabbart - 12 td / 11 int
Lawrence - 9 td's / 14 ints
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2021, 12:34 PM by SamusAranX. Edited 2 times in total.)

(12-27-2021, 12:14 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(12-27-2021, 12:02 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: Also, the Gabbert comparisons show just how impatient and disingenuous these posters are.

Trevor's 2021 Completion Percentage:  58.7

Trevor QBR:

Trevor:  Rush Yards / TD's / 1D: 301/ 2 / 18

Stop with the silliness. Trevor is not playing at a Gabbert "level". He's posting better passing and mobility numbers on a roster just as poor as 2011, except even Gabbert had a top 10 defense, a league leading TE in touchdowns, and a rushing title RB. And JDR could outcoach Bevell and Meyer any day. Gabbert also took way more sacks as he tended to curl up and go down under pressure, an observation of all during 2011. Trevor has stepped up in the pocket more times this year then Gabbert could dream of.

I agree that Lawrence is better than Gabbart, but its a little disingenious that you omitted one of the most observed stats, TD's / Int's.  Especially since they are not that different.  Why cherry pick and omit such an obvious one?  Are you that sensitive of the haters?

Gabbart - 12 td / 11 int

I don't think *either* of them deserved judgement on their touchdowns. When you have MJD or Robinson as a rookie, you will not be throwing it much in the redzone, especially <5 yards in or less. Neither QB could go deep their respective years; Gabbert's o-line was trash, and Lawrence doesn't get much better with help in that department. At this point, the stat is meaningless for comparison.

I will also note that three of Gabbert's touchdowns came in one game to MJD on short checkdowns.

EDIT: Also, cherry picking goes both ways. You can't ignore that Trevor is better in 95 percent of every category, and use only two stats to say he's not. However, I added the disclaimer

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2021, 12:20 PM by jg77. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-27-2021, 12:14 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:

Trevor's 2021 Completion Percentage:  58.7

Trevor QBR:

Trevor:  Rush Yards / TD's / 1D: 301/ 2 / 18

I agree that Lawrence is better than Gabbart, but its a little disingenious that you omitted one of the most observed and obvious stats, TD's / Int's.  Especially since they are not that different.  Why cherry pick and omit such an obvious one?  Are you that sensitive of the haters?

Gabbart - 12 td / 11 int

Gabbert also played 10 years ago.  It's a different league.  Lawrence actually reminds me of Gabbert a lot.

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2021, 12:28 PM by SamusAranX.)

(12-27-2021, 12:19 PM)jg77 Wrote:
(12-27-2021, 12:14 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: I agree that Lawrence is better than Gabbart, but its a little disingenious that you omitted one of the most observed and obvious stats, TD's / Int's.  Especially since they are not that different.  Why cherry pick and omit such an obvious one?  Are you that sensitive of the haters?

Gabbart - 12 td / 11 int

Gabbert also played 10 years ago.  It's a different league.  Lawrence actually reminds me of Gabbert a lot.

Again, how? Provide some evidence to back up your assertion or you're just using a subjective "observation"; and bear in mind many in this thread have said Trevor has made pro-level plays and passed the eye test but they are discounted. So what's fair is fair. Can't say he "looks" like Gabbert, if for the opposite side of the argument, eye level observations aren't valid.

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2021, 12:35 PM by NewJagsCity.)

(12-27-2021, 12:18 PM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(12-27-2021, 12:14 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: I agree that Lawrence is better than Gabbart, but its a little disingenious that you omitted one of the most observed stats, TD's / Int's.  Especially since they are not that different.  Why cherry pick and omit such an obvious one?  Are you that sensitive of the haters?

Gabbart - 12 td / 11 int

I don't think *either* of them deserved judgement on their touchdowns. When you have MJD or Robinson as a rookie, you will not be throwing it much in the redzone, especially <5 yards in or less. Neither QB could go deep their respective years; Gabbert's o-line was trash, and Lawrence doesn't get much better with help in that department. At this point, the stat is meaningless for comparison.

I will also note that three of Gabbert's touchdowns came in one game to MJD on short checkdowns.

EDIT: Also, cherry picking goes both ways. You can't ignore that Trevor is better in 95 percent of every category, and use only two stats to say he's not.

I'm assuming you are speaking generally, since i never said that Gabbart was better than Lawrence; in fact, i said the opposite . Nor did I ignore any stats, which for some reason, you chose to do.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(12-27-2021, 12:34 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(12-27-2021, 12:18 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: I don't think *either* of them deserved judgement on their touchdowns. When you have MJD or Robinson as a rookie, you will not be throwing it much in the redzone, especially <5 yards in or less. Neither QB could go deep their respective years; Gabbert's o-line was trash, and Lawrence doesn't get much better with help in that department. At this point, the stat is meaningless for comparison.

EDIT: Also, cherry picking goes both ways. You can't ignore that Trevor is better in 95 percent of every category, and use only two stats to say he's not.

I'm assuming you are speaking generally, since i never said that Gabbart was better than Lawrence; in fact, i said the opposite .  Nor did I ignore any stats, which for some reason, you chose to do.

No, I know you didn't. I am speaking generally Wink 

There wasn't any reason to compare them IMO. If some is better in 8 of ten categories, and barely behind in the last two, I am not gonna waste my breath, especially when it's irrelevant to the overall conclusion.

(12-27-2021, 02:00 AM)OzJohnnie Wrote:
(12-26-2021, 09:57 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: Welcome to 80+ million Americans, if you catch my drift. Certain people can't disagree without someone blowing a mental fuse. Trevor has objectively played terrible football. Has his WRs dropped some good balls? Yes. Has he had some god awful throws any decent QB has no business throwing? Yes. When I put his tape on, I see Blaine Gabbert. This can change, he's more athletic and has a nice arm, does things you can't teach... But he sacks himself, lacks timing, doesn't set his feet/gets skittish at times, doesn't see the field well, and very inaccurate at times. Those are facts now, there is tape to prove it. Call anonymous people losers on the internet(real adult like, I know) all you want, the fact is Trevor has been underwhelming as a rookie. He can turn it around, but stating that he's bad right now should by no means result in name calling.

Rather than promoting Shott they should have fired him and hired the best QB coach money can buy.  Benched TL and sent to him QB intensive training.  This team is being run into the ground by TL's woefully subpar play.  He's not rookie bad; he's flat out bad.

Bench him, get him a coach and give him a chance to learn enough to be an NFL QB.  Have him ride the pine now or he'll be riding the pine his whole career.

(12-26-2021, 10:13 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: If you continually make brand new threads to continue to call Trevor a bum and a bust, that makes you a loser. 

No one is saying Trevor is playing great. Far from it. He makes bad throws. His spin moves out of the pocket need to stop. They’re helping no one.

However, some context is always needed and the FACTS are that he has been held back since day 1. A fake HC. A fake QB competition. No playmakers. Bad play calling and just overall a bad environment. 

This isn’t to say it’s everyone’s fault except Trevor’s. He certainly has some blame here but he’s also a rookie. Playing for a team that was 1-15 last year and had a HC who literally left every day at 5. 

So rather than make a new thread every time Trevor makes a bad play or throw, let’s look at the bigger picture. Trevor has all the tools needed to be the guy. He just needs some help…. Like all good young QBs need.

The team loses because of the second highlighted paragraph.  TL sucks because of the first.  The two points are not related.

If there is a definite "best QB coach money can buy" why wouldn't he already be hired by an opposing team and why would be available mid season.

On top of that, real NFL game reps is a highly valued commodity if only to help T-Law get better at processing information fast. At least him being out there experiencing it will help him grow thru that process.

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2021, 12:45 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-27-2021, 12:37 PM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(12-27-2021, 12:34 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: I'm assuming you are speaking generally, since i never said that Gabbart was better than Lawrence; in fact, i said the opposite .  Nor did I ignore any stats, which for some reason, you chose to do.

No, I know you didn't. I am speaking generally Wink 

There wasn't any reason to compare them IMO. If some is better in 8 of ten categories, and barely behind in the last two, I am not gonna waste my breath, especially when it's irrelevant to the overall conclusion.

Agreed. I saw Gabbard plenty of times live, and he actually looked worse than his stats most of the time. It's not a valid comparison yet.

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2021, 01:28 PM by Mikey.)

(12-26-2021, 07:52 PM)Khan Artist Wrote:
(12-26-2021, 07:46 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Dude you are a serious Lawrence Jock rider.   You come off as a total blind fanboy and fail to see the product on the field.

In the last 2 weeks alone he should of had 3 passing TD's but he flat out misses receivers.   Yes he is a rookie but with a rookie you want to see growth.   All I see is regression.  He looked mediocre against a bad jets team missing lots of starters.  There is a lot more evidence that supports my argument he is an overated player who may not be a good QB vs your everything wrong is a rookie excuse agenda.   Open your eyes!

He threw a 40 yard TD that was dropped in the end zone today bruh.  Open yours.

but that doesn't fit the narrative.
There were some beautiful sideline throws, he had us in position to win the game late, cripes, I guess the holidays just make some people more miserable than others.

(12-26-2021, 07:55 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Lawrence could have made more of an effort to score on his long run. I'm personally glad he didn't,  but he could have. Bortles would have given his body up.

Yeah, if he takes on the defender and fumbles this place would have been unbearable. I too wanted him to put the shoulder down, but understood completely that it's probably better to take the free yards and be ready for the next play a few yards further from the goal line.

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2021, 01:35 PM by Mikey.)

(12-26-2021, 08:05 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(12-26-2021, 07:59 PM)Caldrac Wrote: .

If Lawrence stinks it up next year they need to be looking for a bargain deal in 2023.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thats the million dollar question.  Many have blind loyalty to Lawrence and just assume he is going to be the franchise QB.   I am getting serious Joe Flacco vibes from Lawrence.  This pass off-season is going to be a huge crossroads for Lawrence.  Just like meyer, if he continues to struggle to hit easy passes it's time to admit the mistake and cur our losses just like Meyer.  It would not be the first time the media hyped up a "can't miss" prospect only for him to fail in the NFL.  

My Jaguar motto:  Hope for the best but expect the worst.  It's words to live by as a Jags fan.

Look at Flacco's career and tell me as a Jag fan you wouldn't want that? Oh jeez, it would be awful to be in contention for the postseason every year, or get on a perfectly timed hot streak and hoist a Lombardi along the way.

Disgusting. We should try to trade him away today lest we have any delusions of resembling a professional football team.

(12-26-2021, 10:05 PM)TearExtractor Wrote: He cant even get some garbage time TD's...

...so you'd rather we be losing by 20 so he can throw a meaningless pass?

Give me the "we had the chance to win on the last drive of the game" every fricking week, even if we don't come out the winner.

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2021, 01:40 PM by Mikey.)

(12-27-2021, 01:18 AM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(12-26-2021, 11:45 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: I think the detractors though are interpreting that the majority of the board is absolving Lawrence of any or most of the blame for the team this year. I don't think that is the case.

I seen many of the posts that have acknowledged that Lawrence has regress some over the course of the season and didn't live up to even some of our expectations, mine included.

However, many of the skeptics have gone the complete other way to say he most like or even definitely a bust, which is way too far.

Given what has already come out about Urban's reign, it may have been one of the worst of all time as more stories are revealed. So we have no idea what an even slightly average or below average coaching staff would have done with a Lawrence rookie season.

On top of that, motivated and smart players often improve their games, something one would expect from a player who was so highly regarded, scouted and under a microscope since high school. If he was not that type of guy with that type of mindset, do you really thing nearly everyone would have considered him a definite elite QB prospect? 

This is more of a glass half-full/half empty situation, and I think most of us recognize that.
I can agree with most of that.   I state that he has played poorly and get attacked often.  Notice I'm never attacking anyone praising his play. 

One point that most can agree with is that he has not lived up to anywhere close to what the media/scouts made him out to be.  As I stated before he has a mountain to climb to be considered a good QB.  He has many faults in his game.  Burrow looked light years ahead of Lawrence in his rookie season.   Bad play design and preperation can be blamed on coaches.   Horrible game losing decisions are flat out missing way too many high percentage passes you have to blame the QB.  Even the announcers mentioned Lawrence accuracy struggles today.  Some of the his completions should of been for much more yards but the receivers have to work way too hard to get some of his errand throws.

no, you just block them.

(12-27-2021, 12:19 PM)jg77 Wrote:
(12-27-2021, 12:14 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: I agree that Lawrence is better than Gabbart, but its a little disingenious that you omitted one of the most observed and obvious stats, TD's / Int's.  Especially since they are not that different.  Why cherry pick and omit such an obvious one?  Are you that sensitive of the haters?

Gabbart - 12 td / 11 int

I....wut?

What rules changes of the past 10 years radically changed the game? I didn't realize I had been drunk that long.
It's not like we are comparing modern to pre-1978 stats here. come the heck on.

(12-27-2021, 12:41 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(12-27-2021, 02:00 AM)OzJohnnie Wrote: Rather than promoting Shott they should have fired him and hired the best QB coach money can buy.  Benched TL and sent to him QB intensive training.  This team is being run into the ground by TL's woefully subpar play.  He's not rookie bad; he's flat out bad.

Bench him, get him a coach and give him a chance to learn enough to be an NFL QB.  Have him ride the pine now or he'll be riding the pine his whole career.

The team loses because of the second highlighted paragraph.  TL sucks because of the first.  The two points are not related.

If there is a definite "best QB coach money can buy" why wouldn't he already be hired by an opposing team and why would be available mid season.

On top of that, real NFL game reps is a highly valued commodity if only to help T-Law get better at processing information fast. At least him being out there experiencing it will help him grow thru that process.

that, and why would they take a job with two weeks left in the season and a pretty good expectation to be unemployed almost immediately thereafter?

The only explanation can be that the original poster is not working within the same reality everyone else is.

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2021, 02:05 PM by SamusAranX.)

(12-27-2021, 01:31 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: https://twitter.com/ihartitz/status/1475...01285?s=21

Stop bringing facts into this. We can’t allow for any excuses for Trevor’s rookie performance

(12-27-2021, 01:37 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(12-27-2021, 01:18 AM)jaguarmvp Wrote: I can agree with most of that.   I state that he has played poorly and get attacked often.  Notice I'm never attacking anyone praising his play. 

One point that most can agree with is that he has not lived up to anywhere close to what the media/scouts made him out to be.  As I stated before he has a mountain to climb to be considered a good QB.  He has many faults in his game.  Burrow looked light years ahead of Lawrence in his rookie season.   Bad play design and preperation can be blamed on coaches.   Horrible game losing decisions are flat out missing way too many high percentage passes you have to blame the QB.  Even the announcers mentioned Lawrence accuracy struggles today.  Some of the his completions should of been for much more yards but the receivers have to work way too hard to get some of his errand throws.

no, you just block them.

(12-27-2021, 12:19 PM)jg77 Wrote: Gabbert also played 10 years ago.  It's a different league.  Lawrence actually reminds me of Gabbert a lot.

I....wut?

What rules changes of the past 10 years radically changed the game? I didn't realize I had been drunk that long.
It's not like we are comparing modern to pre-1978 stats here. come the heck on.

Even 2001 to 2011 he’d have a better argument (more emphasis on holding and PI from Polians complaints, more emphasis on leading with head as defender). But from then to now? Cmon.

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2021, 02:07 PM by TearExtractor. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-27-2021, 01:31 PM)Mikey Wrote: [quote pid="1435903" dateline="1640570700"]
He cant even get some garbage time TD's...

...so you'd rather we be losing by 20 so he can throw a meaningless pass?

Give me the "we had the chance to win on the last drive of the game" every fricking week, even if we don't come out the winner.
[/quote]

Id rather my QB be able to throw a touchdown, at ANY point during a game, a bit more than 1 every 2 months.