Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Lawrence Critique (merged)

(01-04-2022, 04:05 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: This is my biggest issue with him, and not just in the RZ.  He never makes it easier for the WRs when he can

https://twitter.com/_John_Shipley/status...45289?s=20
Can’t say I disagree. A little touch and towards the back corner.

Still not worried about him one bit.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-04-2022, 06:07 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-04-2022, 04:05 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: This is my biggest issue with him, and not just in the RZ.  He never makes it easier for the WRs when he can

Not just the RZ, its every pass.  A RB can be wide open 5 yards in front of him and he has to throw a fast ball lazer.

(01-04-2022, 06:12 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-04-2022, 06:07 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Can’t say I disagree. A little touch and towards the back corner.

Not just the RZ, its every pass.  A RB can be wide open 5 yards in front of him and he has to throw a fast ball lazer.

Big whoop, catch the ball. Herbert and Allen both have cannons and their receivers catch the ball. They rifle those balls as well.

Favre used to dislocate his receivers fingers because he threw the ball so hard, you know what happened though? They caught the ball.

Turn up the jug machine and get to work.

Could he use a little more touch from time to time in certain situations, definitely, but this "he throws the ball too hard" crap is dumb. If the ball hits you in the hands, you better catch the damn thing.

(01-04-2022, 06:28 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(01-04-2022, 06:12 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Not just the RZ, its every pass.  A RB can be wide open 5 yards in front of him and he has to throw a fast ball lazer.

Big whoop, catch the ball. Herbert and Allen both have cannons and their receivers catch the ball. They rifle those balls as well.

Favre used to dislocate his receivers fingers because he threw the ball so hard, you know what happened though? They caught the ball.

Could he use a little more touch from time to time in certain situations, definitely, but this "he throws the ball too hard" crap is dumb. If the ball hits you in the hands, you better catch the damn thing.

Yes, I didnt say throw it not as hard or a touch pass every single time. Most RBs cant catch as good as WRs therefore if he is 5 yards in front of you wide open make it a little easier on the back.  Just like on that play in the back of the endzone, lob it in there.  There are ways the QB can make it easier on the WRs and the great ones no how to do it. Why wouldnt you want to make it easier for your WRs?  Of course a lot of times you need to put the heat on it but not every single throw.

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2022, 06:59 PM by JagsFansince1995.)

(01-04-2022, 03:49 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-04-2022, 03:27 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: It is Trevors fault.  He is suppose to call the plays and make sure the Wrs are spread out with his play design.  Dont you see all the other rookie QBs running their rookie schemes and play designs just fine?

Not to mention, all those tight window throws mac had to make with no running game and bad blocking.  Mac needs to show trevor how to air it out and look like more than a below average game manager.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

So wait.....he's running the routes for the receivers?
Sarcasm went over ur head there but cool.

(01-04-2022, 06:35 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-04-2022, 06:28 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Big whoop, catch the ball. Herbert and Allen both have cannons and their receivers catch the ball. They rifle those balls as well.

Yes, I didnt say throw it not as hard or a touch pass every single time. Most RBs cant catch as good as WRs therefore if he is 5 yards in front of you wide open make it a little easier on the back.  Just like on that play in the back of the endzone, lob it in there.  There are ways the QB can make it easier on the WRs and the great ones no how to do it. Why wouldnt you want to make it easier for your WRs?  Of course a lot of times you need to put the heat on it but not every single throw.
He can make it easier and the FO can too by getting players that can catch halfway decent. QBs getting praised for arm strength that rifle it are putting up stats and we arent reading debates about drops and hindering stats with them. But then again, this is the jags message board with Jags logic.

Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(01-04-2022, 06:07 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:

A real coaching staff that will be focused on developing him (instead of having a fake competition) along with a better receiver or two (Chark plus a good free agent and/or rookie) will go a long way for him. We've seen him make great red zone passes this year already, he's not the problem.

Shipley is showing his youth a bit in that analysis IMO. He's gotten miles better since he wrote for the Green Cove paper, but he still misses it sometimes. 

That pass was no where near Trevor's high velocity passes, it was just overthrown.  A receiver like Jones could come down with that if it were within range. It was high. 

Watching the play on game day it almost looked like he threw it away because he didn't like the coverage. 

There are PLENTY of examples of him throwing lasers when he could throw with some touch instead. RBs out of the backfield and screens to Shenault/Agnew/Austin.  He's gotta learn to take something off of those. Seems like a very overcome-able rookie issue to me.

(01-04-2022, 06:35 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-04-2022, 06:28 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Big whoop, catch the ball. Herbert and Allen both have cannons and their receivers catch the ball. They rifle those balls as well.

Robinson and Dare both had easy drops off of nice touch passes. It goes both ways. Depending on how tight the window is, which lets be honest, the windows are tight more often than not, you have to fire it in there. 

I would like to see more touch in the corner of the end zone though. This one to Chark for a TD against the Cardinals was beautiful. Had some time, went through his reads, set his feet and dropped a dime to Chark in the corner of the endzone over two dude's heads from the far hash at the 20. Hes shown the ability to make those big time throws a bunch of times this season. Hes missed some of them as well. https://twitter.com/FanSided/status/1442191899142414341

Trevor's biggest issue right now IMO (besides the entire team/franchise being a mess around him), he doesn't always set his feet before he throws it. That's why he continues to sail passes high at times. Happens quite a bit when he's rolling towards his left. Hes got to work on and clean up some footwork stuff. The throw always starts with the feet.

(01-04-2022, 07:19 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(01-04-2022, 06:35 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Yes, I didnt say throw it not as hard or a touch pass every single time. Most RBs cant catch as good as WRs therefore if he is 5 yards in front of you wide open make it a little easier on the back.  Just like on that play in the back of the endzone, lob it in there.  There are ways the QB can make it easier on the WRs and the great ones no how to do it. Why wouldnt you want to make it easier for your WRs?  Of course a lot of times you need to put the heat on it but not every single throw.

Robinson and Dare both had easy drops off of nice touch passes. It goes both ways. Depending on how tight the window is, which lets be honest, the windows are tight more often than not, you have to fire it in there. 

I would like to see more touch in the corner of the end zone though. This one to Chark for a TD against the Cardinals was beautiful. Had some time, went through his reads, set his feet and dropped a dime to Chark in the corner of the endzone over two dude's heads from the far hash at the 20. Hes shown the ability to make those big time throws a bunch of times this season. Hes missed some of them as well. https://twitter.com/FanSided/status/1442191899142414341

Trevor's biggest issue right now IMO (besides the entire team/franchise being a mess around him), he doesn't always set his feet before he throws it. That's why he continues to sail passes high at times. Happens quite a bit when he's rolling towards his left. Hes got to work on and clean up some footwork stuff. The throw always starts with the feet.
Jumped out my chair on that throw!

Feel like his mechanics took a hit as the season progressed because there was so much drama surrounding this team that he had to focus on just about everything else.

I think it’ll get fixed in the off season.

Lawrence before practice

[Image: 9avz1pgyziw51.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a...b3d736f274]
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(01-04-2022, 09:34 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-04-2022, 07:19 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Robinson and Dare both had easy drops off of nice touch passes. It goes both ways. Depending on how tight the window is, which lets be honest, the windows are tight more often than not, you have to fire it in there. 

Jumped out my chair on that throw!

Feel like his mechanics took a hit as the season progressed because there was so much drama surrounding this team that he had to focus on just about everything else.

I think it’ll get fixed in the off season.

They did and he'll fix them. Not worried.

Losing Chark so early didn't help him or this offense any either. Definitely took a big hit when he went down.

What I noticed as time went on is TL really isn't too sure the receiver will run the route properly. A lot of variation can be seen in depth, angle on cuts etc. I suspect practice is one thing with most of our receivers and the game is another. This forces him to almost stare down the receiver at times reducing the window requiring a harder throw. To his credit he has never said that or blamed anyone. Can you imagine being in the pocket and during one of your reads you see 2 of your guys run into each other ? Kid is doing the best he can with the hand dealt in my opinion.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

It's all about the offseason. The front office needs to stack this team with talent. I still cant believe how wrong I was about these wide receivers. I thought they were good. Remember when tlaw and all the wide outs were bonding together before the season out on the boat? Ouch this went south quick. I would bring back chark jr though

(01-05-2022, 12:38 AM)Jag149 Wrote: What I noticed as time went on is TL really isn't too sure the receiver will run the route properly. A lot of variation can be seen in depth, angle on cuts etc.  I suspect practice is one thing with most of our receivers and the game is another.  This forces him to almost stare down the receiver at times reducing the window requiring a harder throw. To his credit he has never said that or blamed anyone. Can you imagine being in the pocket and during one of your reads you see 2 of your guys run into each other ?  Kid is doing the best he can with the hand dealt in my opinion.

He's struggling to read the coverage, not wondering about the routes.  He's not sure who and how the defense is covering the receivers so he's late to realise the right order progression and subsequently not sure who will be open until they are open. That's why he's staring down receivers.

There are two ways to fix this problem:

1. Lots of reps so he learns how defenses play against the Jags.  But opposing defenses are too sophisticated in the NFL and this is why he regressed, failing to read defenses despite the game time as well as falling into bad mechanics habits as he tries to compensate his lacking mental gifts with physical gifts.

2.  Coach, coach and coach some more. Get the guy a QB coach he can work with.

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2022, 07:38 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-05-2022, 05:19 AM)OzJohnnie Wrote:
(01-05-2022, 12:38 AM)Jag149 Wrote: What I noticed as time went on is TL really isn't too sure the receiver will run the route properly. A lot of variation can be seen in depth, angle on cuts etc.  I suspect practice is one thing with most of our receivers and the game is another.  This forces him to almost stare down the receiver at times reducing the window requiring a harder throw. To his credit he has never said that or blamed anyone. Can you imagine being in the pocket and during one of your reads you see 2 of your guys run into each other ?  Kid is doing the best he can with the hand dealt in my opinion.

He's struggling to read the coverage, not wondering about the routes.  He's not sure who and how the defense is covering the receivers so he's late to realise the right order progression and subsequently not sure who will be open until they are open. That's why he's staring down receivers.

There are two ways to fix this problem:

1. Lots of reps so he learns how defenses play against the Jags.  But opposing defenses are too sophisticated in the NFL and this is why he regressed, failing to read defenses despite the game time as well as falling into bad mechanics habits as he tries to compensate his lacking mental gifts with physical gifts.

2.  Coach, coach and coach some more. Get the guy a QB coach he can work with.

I don't see how you can make that evaluation ("lacking mental gifts") until he gets guys around him who can reliably run routes, reliably get open, and reliably catch the ball.  He's been put in the worst situation possible for a rookie QB.  He's really had no chance to show if he's got what it takes.  Tom Brady got shut out 2 weeks ago because he had to play with 2nd string WRs and 2nd string RB.

Do you see any open receivers on that play?  I don't.  I think he probably just threw the ball away on purpose.

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2022, 08:12 AM by SeldomRite. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-05-2022, 07:43 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

Do you see any open receivers on that play?  I don't.  I think he probably just threw the ball away on purpose.

The only one you can possibly argue might have been doable is Tavon, though the guy covering him never turned, and the dropping linebacker was heading in his direction. The TE crosser was running right into the dropping linebacker, Treadwell had a safety inside and a corner outside, the running back was in blocking, and Marvin Jones had no separation. Sure he could have tried to make the Jones throw work anyway. It probably wouldn't get picked because Jones is pretty good in jump ball situations, but I'm not angry that he threw it away rather than risk another int.

The only thing I might have liked to see that might have made a difference would be Trevor just trying to make something happen by exiting the pocket and placing some pressure on the defense to defend him running along with the routes.

(01-05-2022, 08:11 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(01-05-2022, 07:43 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Do you see any open receivers on that play?  I don't.  I think he probably just threw the ball away on purpose.

The only one you can possibly argue might have been doable is Tavon, though the guy covering him never turned, and the dropping linebacker was heading in his direction. The TE crosser was running right into the dropping linebacker, Treadwell had a safety inside and a corner outside, the running back was in blocking, and Marvin Jones had no separation. Sure he could have tried to make the Jones throw work anyway. It probably wouldn't get picked because Jones is pretty good in jump ball situations, but I'm not angry that he threw it away rather than risk another int.

The only thing I might have liked to see that might have made a difference would be Trevor just trying to make something happen by exiting the pocket and placing some pressure on the defense to defend him running along with the routes.

There wasn't a place where only Jones could catch that pass, he was covered. Aaron Rodgers or Brady make that pass out of bounds no one says anything, but even when TLaw makes the right decision these clowns criticize the fact that he can't do the impossible.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2022, 08:33 AM by SeldomRite. Edited 2 times in total.)

(01-05-2022, 08:17 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-05-2022, 08:11 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: The only one you can possibly argue might have been doable is Tavon, though the guy covering him never turned, and the dropping linebacker was heading in his direction. The TE crosser was running right into the dropping linebacker, Treadwell had a safety inside and a corner outside, the running back was in blocking, and Marvin Jones had no separation. Sure he could have tried to make the Jones throw work anyway. It probably wouldn't get picked because Jones is pretty good in jump ball situations, but I'm not angry that he threw it away rather than risk another int.

There wasn't a place where only Jones could catch that pass, he was covered. Aaron Rodgers or Brady make that pass out of bounds no one says anything, but even when TLaw makes the right decision these clowns criticize the fact that he can't do the impossible.

I agree, it would have had to have been him just looping one up for a 50/50 jump ball, I'm not at all upset that he didn't do that.

The two big differences between Trevor and everyone else in the NFL is first that most other quarterbacks have a lot more of the kind of TD throws that Trevor finally got on Sunday, which is to say ones that aren't at all special throws, but which they get a TD for because the team executes the play well. We saw the Texans QB get a couple of them a few weeks ago. Second is that most quarterbacks get at least 9 or 10 real shots at the end zone per game, and probably more. By real shots I mean their team is actually in the red zone and a pass is called in a non-end-of-half situation. In end of half situations the defense is only looking for the pass, so it's harder to get one of those 10-15 yard TDs that other guys often get when the defense is still defending the run. The Jaguars offense has been so bad for the last few months it wouldn't shock me if Trevor has averaged less than 5 attempts like that per game, and it could be more like 2-3.

Brady got shut out when his skill players went down a couple of weeks ago. It blows my mind what some people around here seem to expect Trevor to whip up from bare cupboards.