Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
CJ Traded

And it looks to be a high 3rd now as the Panthers appear to be mailing it in.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Henderson looked good on paper. Something just went wrong. Maybe its something to do about the rumors he is DEPRESSED. Who could have predicted that? Either way, go jags!

(11-08-2021, 07:15 PM)Jag88 Wrote: Henderson looked good on paper. Something just went wrong. Maybe its something to do about the rumors he is DEPRESSED.  Who could have predicted that? Either way, go jags!

His lapse in his game is almost certainly a mental one. Work ethic? Attitude? Who knows, he had the talent, shame he nearly wasted a million dollar career on his inability to find a good doctor who could help him. Hope he's not depressed or anything and gets help with whatever is ailing him. He's still a very talented player and with the right mindset can salvage his career and still try and earn a big payday. It'd be too bad since he could've been a solid piece of us going forward.

(11-08-2021, 07:50 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote:
(11-08-2021, 07:15 PM)Jag88 Wrote: Henderson looked good on paper. Something just went wrong. Maybe its something to do about the rumors he is DEPRESSED.  Who could have predicted that? Either way, go jags!

His lapse in his game is almost certainly a mental one. Work ethic? Attitude? Who knows, he had the talent, shame he nearly wasted a million dollar career on his inability to find a good doctor who could help him. Hope he's not depressed or anything and gets help with whatever is ailing him. He's still a very talented player and with the right mindset can salvage his career and still try and earn a big payday. It'd be too bad since he could've been a solid piece of us going forward.

It seems like the three most important attributes of a successful NFL player are 1) does he have the physical ability, 2) does he love football, and 3) does he have the mental ability to pick up the intricacies of the game.  

From what I have seen, (3) is not that hard.  There are a lot of apparently not very bright guys playing great NFL football.  (1) is fairly easy to measure, with the Combine and all.  But (2), does he love football enough, that's where your scouts and your GM should earn their money.  I don't understand how we could have missed the fact that Henderson has some sort of psychological problem with playing football.  It should have come out in an interview, or a background investigation.  Obviously, Caldwell gets an F on that one.  That was his job to watch out for that.

(11-09-2021, 07:32 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(11-08-2021, 07:50 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: His lapse in his game is almost certainly a mental one. Work ethic? Attitude? Who knows, he had the talent, shame he nearly wasted a million dollar career on his inability to find a good doctor who could help him. Hope he's not depressed or anything and gets help with whatever is ailing him. He's still a very talented player and with the right mindset can salvage his career and still try and earn a big payday. It'd be too bad since he could've been a solid piece of us going forward.

It seems like the three most important attributes of a successful NFL player are 1) does he have the physical ability, 2) does he love football, and 3) does he have the mental ability to pick up the intricacies of the game.  

From what I have seen, (3) is not that hard.  There are a lot of apparently not very bright guys playing great NFL football.  (1) is fairly easy to measure, with the Combine and all.  But (2), does he love football enough, that's where your scouts and your GM should earn their money.  I don't understand how we could have missed the fact that Henderson has some sort of psychological problem with playing football.  It should have come out in an interview, or a background investigation.  Obviously, Caldwell gets an F on that one.  That was his job to watch out for that.

Some positions put more on you mentally than others. I'd put QB, CB, and kicker up there as far as being on an island. If doubt creeps in, it can end a player in those positions especially.

Sometimes changing scenery fixes it (see Josh Myers), sometimes it doesn't (Henderson).

I'm kind of interested in Calvin Ridley's story, too. Does he come back? Is he able to squelch those voices of discouragement? Or, does he find joy and purpose somewhere off the gridiron?

(11-09-2021, 07:32 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(11-08-2021, 07:50 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: His lapse in his game is almost certainly a mental one. Work ethic? Attitude? Who knows, he had the talent, shame he nearly wasted a million dollar career on his inability to find a good doctor who could help him. Hope he's not depressed or anything and gets help with whatever is ailing him. He's still a very talented player and with the right mindset can salvage his career and still try and earn a big payday. It'd be too bad since he could've been a solid piece of us going forward.

From what I remember, we never even met with CJ prior to the draft. But Caldwell was known for that, he didn't want to tip his hand in round 1.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Also with covid things were weird that year

Panthers have lost 6 in a row and play the Bucs in Tampa this weekend so it will likely be 7. Right now the pick we get from Carolina is the 6th pick in round 3. So it will be no worse than the 6th pick as long as they lose to the Bucs

That is pretty good, considering what they are getting from him. Obviously, it sucks that things went wrong for our number 1 pick, but the trade itself was the right move.

(01-05-2022, 11:20 PM)Newton Wrote: That is pretty good, considering what they are getting from him. Obviously, it sucks that things went wrong for our number 1 pick, but the trade itself was the right move.

I consider Dan Arnold just icing on the cake. Dude was a SOLID contributor in the games he played (28/324 7 games).

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(01-06-2022, 10:07 AM)NCJag Wrote:
(01-05-2022, 11:20 PM)Newton Wrote: That is pretty good, considering what they are getting from him. Obviously, it sucks that things went wrong for our number 1 pick, but the trade itself was the right move.

I consider Dan Arnold just icing on the cake. Dude was a SOLID contributor in the games he played (28/324 7 games).

Man this is going to really run wild during offseason needs discussions isn't it?

Dude caught 3 or 4 heavily scripted two yard aDOT catch and runs a game and made one actual nice catch and run for a first down all season. Which ya know, not awful for a pass catching TE if that's where the story ended. But not great either.

Unfortunately it doesn't end there. He had 3 combined drops and/or penalties a game that completely negated the positive effect from the passing. In addition to be a large negative in the blocking game.

We still desperately need to upgrade with a 2 way TE like Schultz and then Arnold can be our pass catching TE in 12 personnel. He can't be our TE1.

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2022, 12:16 PM by Caldrac.)

(01-06-2022, 11:59 AM)Upper Wrote:
(01-06-2022, 10:07 AM)NCJag Wrote: I consider Dan Arnold just icing on the cake. Dude was a SOLID contributor in the games he played (28/324 7 games).

Man this is going to really run wild during offseason needs discussions isn't it?

Dude caught 3 or 4 heavily scripted two yard aDOT catch and runs a game and made one actual nice catch and run for a first down all season. Which ya know, not awful for a pass catching TE if that's where the story ended. But not great either.

Unfortunately it doesn't end there. He had 3 combined drops and/or penalties a game that completely negated the positive effect from the passing. In addition to be a large negative in the blocking game.

We still desperately need to upgrade with a 2 way TE like Schultz and then Arnold can be our pass catching TE in 12 personnel. He can't be our TE1.
Did Dan Arnold hit on your wife or girlfriend or something? LOL.

Sheeeeesh.

Much like the team all season. He was far from perfect. However, the offense at least moved the needle a bit with him on the field.

One full training camp with Lawrence and more significant talent being added potentially between March and April could further help his cause as well as the team's cause in general.

I agree though. They need another TE. Not because Arnold is bad. But, because I think that's what Lawrence needs to feel more comfortable this year. A pair of viable, receiving options at that position.

Just not convinced Schultz is the guy. He's benefited from a loaded receiving cast, steady backfield and competent coaching staff. Would rather invest that cap elsewhere and aim to draft a promising prospect to compliment Arnold.

This is a deep class this year. Would be criminal to wrap up this draft without a guy like McBride, Kolar, Wydermyer, Likely or Ferguson.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-06-2022, 12:12 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-06-2022, 11:59 AM)Upper Wrote: Man this is going to really run wild during offseason needs discussions isn't it?

Did Dan Arnold hit on your wife or girlfriend or something? LOL.

Sheeeeesh.

Much like the team all season. He was far from perfect. However, the offense at least moved the needle a bit with him on the field.

One full training camp with Lawrence and more significant talent being added potentially between March and April could further help his cause as well as the team's cause in general.

I agree though. They need another TE. Not because Arnold is bad. But, because I think that's what Lawrence needs to feel more comfortable this year. A pair of viable, receiving options at that position.

Just not convinced Schultz is the guy. He's benefited from a loaded receiving cast, steady backfield and competent coaching staff. Would rather invest that cap elsewhere and aim to draft a promising prospect to compliment Arnold.

This is a deep class this year. Would be criminal to wrap up this draft without a guy like McBride, Kolar, Wydermyer, Likely or Ferguson.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Pretty much. No where in my post did I say Arnold was the "ANSWER". The guy came in, got some plays, and got some yardage with what was designed for him. Considering what we were getting from CJ, a special teams gunner would give us more RFI right now. I'm not anointing Dan Arnold the answer, but he's better than anything else we have on the roster right now.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

I mean, all caps SOLID pretty much means that you think he is the answer at TE1.

The Panthers were 3-0 when they traded for CJ.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Learn from the great collapse of 2023.  

CJ is what is giving me pause when I hear the talk of trades for Ridley....

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2022, 02:41 PM by HURRICANE!!!. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-06-2022, 01:52 PM)jagsfan06 Wrote: The Panthers were 3-0 when they traded for CJ.

Coincidentally, Ed McCaffrey got hurt in the 3rd game of the season.  While Jags fans think the Panthers went downhill as a result of the CJ/Arnold trade, the rest of the nation knows it was the impact of Ed McCaffrey not playing again until November.

It should also be noted that the Panthers played the Jets, Saints, and Texans in Weeks 1-2-3

(01-06-2022, 01:22 PM)Upper Wrote: I mean, all caps SOLID pretty much means that you think he is the answer at TE1.

Or...an all caps SOLID in front of contributor means just that. He was a SOLID contributor. For a 3 game stretch he averaged 6/65. For what we've gotten out of the TE position over the past decade and a half, that's herculean.

(01-06-2022, 02:40 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(01-06-2022, 01:52 PM)jagsfan06 Wrote: The Panthers were 3-0 when they traded for CJ.

Coincidentally, Ed McCaffrey got hurt in the 3rd game of the season.  While Jags fans think the Panthers went downhill as a result of the CJ/Arnold trade, the rest of the nation knows it was the impact of Ed McCaffrey not playing again until November.

It should also be noted that the Panthers played the Jets, Saints, and Texans in Weeks 1-2-3

Man, I had no idea that losing a 53 year old retired receiver would have such a dramatic impact on the team's performance.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-06-2022, 03:52 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-06-2022, 02:40 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Coincidentally, Ed McCaffrey got hurt in the 3rd game of the season.  While Jags fans think the Panthers went downhill as a result of the CJ/Arnold trade, the rest of the nation knows it was the impact of Ed McCaffrey not playing again until November.

Man, I had no idea that losing a 53 year old retired receiver would have such a dramatic impact on the team's performance.

Haha!  You're a meanie!