Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Did we do that? Ooops.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...k-in-2022/

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If we can't have a good team, ruining the Colts' season is a small but enjoyable consolation prize. And man, did we ruin it.

[Image: oops-chiffre-bond-chonkula-jamesbond-gif-19171070.gif]

We killed Dan Marino and Carson Wentz's careers.

We also killed a lot of NFL careers of our own players but that's a story for another day.

(01-11-2022, 03:35 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: We killed Dan Marino and Carson Wentz's careers.

We also killed a lot of NFL careers of our own players but that's a story for another day.

Don't forget Jim Kelly.

(01-11-2022, 03:42 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(01-11-2022, 03:35 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: We killed Dan Marino and Carson Wentz's careers.

Don't forget Jim Kelly.

Did those checks come due?
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Didn’t know where else to post it, and it surely doesn’t warrant a new thread. This seemed to be the best spot.

Seeing Jim Irsay’s video on the “desert tarmac”, I just want to say this:

I know Irsay has had his issues relating to his extracurricular activities. But when I see a billionaire make that speech, he just comes off as drunk or unintelligent. Obviously he’s a smart guy. I understand many “eccentric” people make it far in life. You’ve got to do things right in life to afford that bad [BLEEP] jet and an NFL football team. But good gosh does this guy come off as under the influence. I don’t expect a man in his position to stumble over his words. Seems impromptu. Seems like he had whatever and got “re- pissed” off and made a video.

(01-11-2022, 03:42 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

Don't forget Jim Kelly.

This tweet that i saw earlier this week immediately comes to mind:

https://twitter.com/_Love_Hyphen_/status...19111?s=20

Haha

Oh memories of 62-7. I remember being in high school. Had a bet with a friend of mine who was a Dolphins fan on that game. That was fun. Alas, the tacks were our kryptonite that year. And that's why they will always be my least favorite team and I wish them nothing but bad luck.
I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Maybe we were just the better team that year.
Just sayin'

It seems inevitable.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...son-wentz/

I just hope they don't get a Russell Wilson. Not that I think they really can without seriously mortgaging their future.

I don't want them getting Aaron Rodgers or Garoppolo, either.

(02-13-2022, 06:21 PM)Bullseye Wrote: It seems inevitable.

I just hope they don't get a Russell Wilson. Not that I think they really can without seriously mortgaging their future.

Agreed...this looks like a no-brainer financially. Wonder if they could be one of the trade-up candidates to get a QB like Corral if he doesn't drop?
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

I just hope they don't get a Russell Wilson.  Not that I think they really can without seriously mortgaging their future.

I wonder who the free agent journeymen who are available? I could see them signing one and drafting one.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(02-14-2022, 10:46 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:

I just hope they don't get a Russell Wilson.  Not that I think they really can without seriously mortgaging their future.

Agreed...this looks like a no-brainer financially.  Wonder if they could be one of the trade-up candidates to get a QB like Corral if he doesn't drop?

They have no first round pick.  Either they would have to absolutely fleece some other team, mortgage the future, or trade away current valuable players on their roster.

(02-14-2022, 01:51 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-14-2022, 10:46 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Agreed...this looks like a no-brainer financially.  Wonder if they could be one of the trade-up candidates to get a QB like Corral if he doesn't drop?

They have no first round pick.  Either they would have to absolutely fleece some other team, mortgage the future, or trade away current valuable players on their roster.

Yep, checked that, i was thinking of them bundling lower rounders. Not with us.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(02-14-2022, 03:56 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(02-14-2022, 01:51 PM)Bullseye Wrote: They have no first round pick.  Either they would have to absolutely fleece some other team, mortgage the future, or trade away current valuable players on their roster.

Yep, checked that, i was thinking of them bundling lower rounders. Not with us.

Even if it's not with us, the dynamic would be similar.

Suppose they wanted to move up to 10 to jump ahead of Washington.

The #10 overall pick has a point value of 1300.

The Colts first pick in this draft-a 2nd round pick (#47 overall) is worth 430 points per the chart.

The Colts would have to make up 870 points, the equivalent of a first round pick-between 19th and 20th overall.

If they gave a future first round pick-like next year's-the common thought is that a pick decreases a round in present value each year removed, meaning next year's 1st round pick is thought to be worth a 2nd rounder this year.  Let's assume for argument's sake, it would be worth the 47th spot.  That's still a difference of 440 points-the equivalent of a 2nd round pick in current value.

To make up that difference, they would have to throw in every other pick in this year's draft, and they'd still only come up with 288.2 points leaving a balance of 152 points, the equivalent of a mid to late 3rd round pick.

If they wanted to move ahead of Pittsburgh-another team believed to need a QB- they'd likely have to come up with 900 points (assuming a trade with New Orleans at 18, since Philly has Indy's first round pick at 19 already).  If they gave this year's 2nd round pick, again worth 430 points, they'd have to come up with another 460 points to get there-the equivalent of a 2nd round pick.  They could offer next year's first round pick in addition.

In either scenario, when you factor in what they gave to Philly for Wentz, they likely will have minimally given up:

2 first round picks (2022, 2023)
1 2nd round pick (2022)
1 3rd round pick (2022)

Again, this represents the best case scenario (trading with New Orleans at 18).  If they traded up to 10, you could easily add a 1st round pick to that and still need to add more to it.

To minimize the draft capital expended, they could add existing players to the mix.  But who on their roster has trade value that would entice the Jets or Saints to move down that far?  Quentin Nelson?  Darius Leonard?

This is even assuming the Jets or Saints would be willing to trade back that far.

Suppose their QB of choice somehow manages to slip all the way down to 31st-Cincinnati's pick (600 points).  That's a difference of 170 points-a 3rd round pick.

Only then are we talking about affordability in terms of draft capital.

But even with that, assuming Cincy was willing to trade back from 31 (a dubious proposition considering they could easily take a Zion Johnson there and upgrade the OL that cost them the Super Bowl).  If they give up their 2nd and 3rd this year for Howell or whomever, how do they address their shortcomings along the OL?  Fisher wasn't the same post injury, and on top of that he's a free agent.  How do they add speed at WR or another TE?  Their lack of quality skill players outside was exposed against us.  Even if they got Howell at 31, the cupboard would be bare, barring a considerable free agency expenditure on their part.

How would such an expenditure impact their ability to keep guys like Nelson and Leonard?

(This post was last modified: 02-14-2022, 07:58 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 2 times in total.)

(01-20-2022, 07:32 PM)Jags Wrote: Didn’t know where else to post it, and it surely doesn’t warrant a new thread. This seemed to be the best spot.

Seeing Jim Irsay’s video on the “desert tarmac”, I just want to say this:

I know Irsay has had his issues relating to his extracurricular activities. But when I see a billionaire make that speech, he just comes off as drunk or unintelligent. Obviously he’s a smart guy. I understand many “eccentric” people make it far in life. You’ve got to do things right in life to afford that bad [BLEEP] jet and an NFL football team. But good gosh does this guy come off as under the influence. I don’t expect a man in his position to stumble over his words. Seems impromptu. Seems like he had whatever and got “re- pissed” off and made a video.

I don't think he's particularly intelligent. He inherited the team in 1997 and two once-in-a-generation QB's have since fallen to him. His personal life, as you noted, is a train wreck. He's a drunk and a drug addict. His team succeeded more in spite of him than because of him, and he just rode the coattails of success. Tho to his credit, he did have the good sense to stay out of the football side of things and just act like a buffoon off to the side, rather than run the team totally into the ground.

It's still funny to me that a few on here think that the reason for the Eagles success on offense in 2017 was because of Reich and Pederson is the one who called the plays.

(02-20-2022, 03:11 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: It's still funny to me that a few on here think that the reason for the Eagles success on offense in 2017 was because of Reich and Pederson is the one who called the plays.

What's interesting to me is the same people crediting reich for Wentz' MVP level performance pre injury don't blame him for Wentz's regression this year.