Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Head Coach Candidates (Merged Threads)

(01-21-2022, 02:10 PM)Dewboy01 Wrote:
(01-21-2022, 01:55 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Now this is interesting.  Jim Caldwell has turned down interview requests with the Vikings and Raiders. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...s-raiders/

I can't click on the link, but the rumor I read said that Caldwell is thought to be the front runner for the Chicago Head Coach position.  I guess Bill Polian is running that search and the thought is that he prefers Caldwell.  My preferences are Caldwell, Pederson or Leftwich - in any order.  I like the fact the Caldwell & Pederson have previous experience, but could definitely get excited about Leftwich....

If Jim Caldwell was offered both the Jaguars and Bears HC,  it would seem like a difficult choice for him even beyond the two organizations. 

Caldwell was a Bears fan in this youth in Southern Wisconsin, less than 100 miles from Chicago.  But he appears to be a better fit for coaching in Jacksonville from the standpoint of his dislike for most aspects of the media component of being a NFL HC.    Also, he has a daughter ( and her family) who lives in North Carolina.  Caldwell is very family oriented.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-21-2022, 12:00 PM)Newton Wrote:
(01-21-2022, 11:14 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: When he was here we had a top 5 offense and made Bortles look decent

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/se...e/dir/desc
Yeah I think Hackett made lemonade out of lemons here. Not sure how people have such bad memories of the guy.

Yes, he made Keelan Cole look like the best slot receiver in the NFL for a stretch. He confused Belicheat in the one game when he opened things up and let Bortles throw it around the yard. That was epic.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(01-21-2022, 02:42 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-21-2022, 02:10 PM)Dewboy01 Wrote: I can't click on the link, but the rumor I read said that Caldwell is thought to be the front runner for the Chicago Head Coach position.  I guess Bill Polian is running that search and the thought is that he prefers Caldwell.  My preferences are Caldwell, Pederson or Leftwich - in any order.  I like the fact the Caldwell & Pederson have previous experience, but could definitely get excited about Leftwich....
There's also currently a rumor out there that Caldwell has taken a position in our FO. 

If that's true, Caldwell in the FO and Byron as the HC is actually perfect.

Gonna need some more info on that one bro.

(01-21-2022, 02:42 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-21-2022, 02:10 PM)Dewboy01 Wrote: I can't click on the link, but the rumor I read said that Caldwell is thought to be the front runner for the Chicago Head Coach position.  I guess Bill Polian is running that search and the thought is that he prefers Caldwell.  My preferences are Caldwell, Pederson or Leftwich - in any order.  I like the fact the Caldwell & Pederson have previous experience, but could definitely get excited about Leftwich....
There's also currently a rumor out there that Caldwell has taken a position in our FO. 

If that's true, Caldwell in the FO and Byron as the HC is actually perfect.

Of all the possibilities, this might be the best coaching outcome for the Jaguars.

https://twitter.com/DemJags/status/1484552306247012355

I don't know who that guy is and Dilla says he hasn't heard about it but doesn't mean it's not true
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(01-21-2022, 03:09 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: https://twitter.com/DemJags/status/1484552306247012355

I don't know who that guy is and Dilla says he hasn't heard about it but doesn't mean it's not true

That would be great. He's been around quite a few winning organizations and he's been around some good coaching staffs. If he's in any capacity as far as making football decisions or personnel decisions I am all for it. Even if Baalke stays. Having somebody above his head is needed at this point. Caldwell would be able to put in place adequate checks and balances for this team. Great start. Hope it's true.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-21-2022, 03:09 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: https://twitter.com/DemJags/status/1484552306247012355

This would be a good outcome. I just don't see Caldwell having the fire in his belly to be HC for many years. On the other hand, he could keep Baalke in check. If Baalke takes a break from watching film to spread gossip at the water cooler, Caldwell can order him to go back to his office.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2022, 03:14 PM by Upper.)

A lot of us have said Caldwell as EVP or QB coach/assistant HC would be the perfect fit, but I'm gonna have to wait for a better source than that to get my hopes up.

Although I do see that he follows me on twitter so he does seem like a pretty wise man.

(01-21-2022, 02:56 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-21-2022, 12:22 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: From all the reports I read the was Marrone that made that decision to play it safe when we got the lead in the AFCCG, Penderson even called Marrone out on it.  If that was his decision than I don't want him here, but by all the reports I seen that was Marrones call

I was scouring the news on that at the time.

There weren't any "reports" on that. Merely speculation. Various writers speculated it was a Marrone thing. 

Plus, I didn't say my problem with him in that game was taking his foot off the gas or playing it safe. I just didn't like the play calling compared to what was working for him in the first half. He tried to fix something that wasn't broken when he could have continued pulling water from the well. 

If they aren't stopping you at what you are running, don't change it until they actually adjust and stop it. That was my issue. And what they were running was plenty "safe."

Yeah, they just started running the ball every play.  Even at the half with a few time outs and a couple minutes left the just ran the clock out, thats on the coach.  I could of sworn also that Marrone even mentioned it in a press conference that he wanted to run the ball and try to kill so clock when they were up 10 in the 4th and Pederson called him out on being to conservative.  If all that was on Hackett then I don't want him here.  Even if that was Hacketts idea to play conservative Marrone should of overruled Hackett and told him to call a pass play.  Has Marrone all over it to me

Yup. This is where I saw it.

Again. Just a rumor.

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2022, 05:28 PM by Upper. Edited 1 time in total.)

Welp that is kind of ominous.

https://twitter.com/E_Dilla/status/1484632959533604873

(01-21-2022, 05:26 PM)Upper Wrote: Welp that is kind of ominous.

[Image: 200w.gif]

My in-laws are Bears fans. I can go egg their house if it helps send a message? Just can't tell the wife about it.

If the Bears hire Leftwich, and Caldwell has turned down interviews with everyone but the Bears and the Jags, can we put 2 and 2 together?

(01-21-2022, 05:48 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:

If the Bears hire Leftwich, and Caldwell has turned down interviews with everyone but the Bears and the Jags, can we put 2 and 2 together?

Perhaps, but I am currently putting my irrational faith in that rumor that Caldwell is going to join our FO.

That would be a bummer to lose out on JC and BL both in one fowl swoop.

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2022, 06:28 PM by Cleatwood. Edited 1 time in total.)

My interpretation of that tweet was that it was a “lock” before but now he’s not so sure.

Or maybe buckle up for the ride lol

(01-21-2022, 06:23 PM)Jags Wrote: That would be a bummer to lose out on JC and BL both in one fowl swoop.

Yes. However, would it really surprise anybody?
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Man it will be kind of sad to me at this point if we lose Byron. He was not my pick in the beginning, but the more I have researched, the more he has risen to the top of my list.

(01-21-2022, 05:49 PM)Upper Wrote:
(01-21-2022, 05:48 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: If the Bears hire Leftwich, and Caldwell has turned down interviews with everyone but the Bears and the Jags, can we put 2 and 2 together?

Perhaps, but I am currently putting my irrational faith in that rumor that Caldwell is going to join our FO.

Me neither.  It actually makes little sense.  The reports are that Caldwell is recruiting a coaching staff.  That says head coach, not front office.

If we're talking head coach, it also makes little sense given that Eberflus has been granted a second interview while Caldwell has not.

He is either going to the Bears or it's just rumors.