Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Head Coach Candidates (Merged Threads)

(This post was last modified: 01-25-2022, 01:22 PM by HURRICANE!!!. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-25-2022, 07:09 AM)surfon Wrote: Can someone explain to me how Leftwich went from a candidate that nobody wanted at first to someone a lot of ppl seem to be backing now? 

Just seems kind of weird.

I think it was his offensive gameplan vs the Rams D.   3 points in the 1st half and Brady got his brains beat in all day.  Isn't that what we do here?  Low Score and let our QB get crushed.  Seems like a good fit to me.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-25-2022, 12:35 PM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(01-25-2022, 11:16 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Is he? why is he willing to work with Baalke then? that says so much, I am not saying he will fail but after reading that I wouldn't be surprised at all if he does end up failing.

And NO, I am not saying Byron is dumb.

I don’t think you’re calling him dumb. Humility is part of intelligence; he may recognize that head coaching opportunities are rarely to be passed up. What if Brady leaves, the bucs lose many skill players, and the offense regresses against his will? It happens, and then he is no longer getting interviews next off-season. 

Also consider his options; NY and Chi are just as dysfunctional as this franchise but in their different ways. Fields is nowhere near the prospect that Lawrence is, and in NY he either finds a way to salvage Jones or start from scratch. Denver is in the midst of a potential sale and again, no good options at QB unless the sell the farm for Rodgers, who brings his own set of outside issues to the table. Minnesota is soon to be in cap hell and Cousins is what he is. 

perhaps behind the scenes he will be given some input on drafting and scouting as Meyer. Also keep in mind rumors have said either he brings in a GM or is willing to work with Baalke. Simply put, we don’t know which one will pan out, and the truth might in the middle somewhere. Perhaps Byron brings in a player personnel executive who works with Baalke, or the scenario I described above, where he has input and can be a check on Baalke that Meyer failed miserably to be.

I want Baalke gone, but I’ve accepted Khan is going to Khan as he always does. So a consolation prize would be getting a good up and coming coach to hopefully minimize the damage and provide sorely needed development to our young prospect at QB I agree with this last part, I hope Byron can do that.

I hope you are right.

I honestly see Chicago as a better option though.

-New GM and fresh start 
-I think Fields has potential (I agree, Trevor has more) 
-Their roster is much better than ours
-Owner was also somewhat patient with Nagy
-They also have some cap space.

We'll just have wait and see what happens I guess.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

Maybe it comes down to where you want to live too. Remember that. Freeze your Azz off or feel the heat.

If Sean Payton leaves NO would you want him here ??

(01-25-2022, 01:41 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: If Sean Payton leaves NO would you want him here ??

He wants to take some time off.  According to reports.  If he left NO, it would not be for another coaching job.

(01-25-2022, 01:43 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(01-25-2022, 01:41 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: If Sean Payton leaves NO would you want him here ??

He wants to take some time off.  According to reports.  If he left NO, it would not be for another coaching job.

Yesh but having Tlaw and be able to mold his career could be intising plust 1st pick and all that cap room

(01-25-2022, 01:08 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(01-25-2022, 07:09 AM)surfon Wrote: Can someone explain to me how Leftwich went from a candidate that nobody wanted at first to someone a lot of ppl seem to be backing now? 

Just seems kind of weird.

I think it was his offensive gameplan vs the Rams D.   3 points in the 1st half and Brady got his brains beat in all day.  Isn't that what we do here?  Low Score and let our QB get crushed.  Seems like a good fit to me.
Come on now. Are you going to let one half of football deter you from 3 years of work?

In his 3 years as the Bucs OC, he has had 2 seasons where the QB threw for 5,000 yards and 30+ TDs. The other season was 4,600 and 40 TDs. Leftwich knows what he's doing. The main issue is can the Jags give Leftwich and Lawrence pieces on offense to help build this team into a contender.

(This post was last modified: 01-25-2022, 02:01 PM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-25-2022, 01:45 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote:
(01-25-2022, 01:43 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: He wants to take some time off.  According to reports.  If he left NO, it would not be for another coaching job.

Yesh but having Tlaw and be able to mold his career could be intising plust 1st pick and all that cap room

He is under contract next year, too.  We'd have to give New Orleans compensation.

[Image: stone-cold-steve-austin-oh-hell-yeah.gif]
"There are no asterisks in this life, only scoreboards." - Ari Gold

(01-25-2022, 01:54 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-25-2022, 01:08 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I think it was his offensive gameplan vs the Rams D.   3 points in the 1st half and Brady got his brains beat in all day.  Isn't that what we do here?  Low Score and let our QB get crushed.  Seems like a good fit to me.
Come on now. Are you going to let one half of football deter you from 3 years of work?

In his 3 years as the Bucs OC, he has had 2 seasons where the QB threw for 5,000 yards and 30+ TDs. The other season was 4,600 and 40 TDs. Leftwich knows what he's doing. The main issue is can the Jags give Leftwich and Lawrence pieces on offense to help build this team into a contender.

Yeah I agree. Also, while initially I was scared that Tom Brady was covering for his mistakes, I then realized perhaps working with Tom Brady would be great for Leftwich to learn from. I think  having Tom Brady and Arians as the two people endorsing him should count for a heck of a lot.

Sounds like Leftwich isn't a finalist for the Bears so all roads lead to us.

Khan has to talk to Payton. Make him the highest paid coach

(This post was last modified: 01-25-2022, 02:56 PM by Cleatwood. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-25-2022, 02:45 PM)Upper Wrote: Sounds like Leftwich isn't a finalist for the Bears so all roads lead to us.
https://twitter.com/E_Dilla/status/14860...04969?s=20

(01-25-2022, 02:49 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Khan has to talk to Payton.  Make him the highest paid coach
Payton has to take a year off of coaching. He can't coach right away if he is indeed stepping away.

Saints better stay away from Byron...

(This post was last modified: 01-25-2022, 02:58 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-25-2022, 02:54 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-25-2022, 02:45 PM)Upper Wrote: Sounds like Leftwich isn't a finalist for the Bears so all roads lead to us.
https://twitter.com/E_Dilla/status/14860...04969?s=20

(01-25-2022, 02:49 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Khan has to talk to Payton.  Make him the highest paid coach
Payton has to take a year off of coaching. He can't coach right away.

He can, you'd just have to compensate the Saints for him and he'd obviously have to want to coach this year and want to coach the Jaguars.  This has to be being discussed down at the stadium though.  Pause that Byron interview Shad!

(01-25-2022, 02:56 PM)Upper Wrote: Saints better stay away from Byron...

Haha. Stay away from my man.

Cancel the search and promise him anything he wants.
"There are no asterisks in this life, only scoreboards." - Ari Gold

(01-25-2022, 02:56 PM)Upper Wrote: Saints better stay away from Byron...

I wonder if the Saints will go after Dan Quinn?

Shad in the conference room with Byron, Trent and any other interested parties feels a vibration in his suit pant pocket and pulls his phone out to see the news about Payton on Twitter. He then feels another vibration in his suit pants.

Meanwhile, Byron is giving an answer to some inane question Trent just asked and is interrupted by Shad. "Byron, would you mind if we took a short recess?" He doesn't wait for Byron's answer and just says "Thank you." and gets up and quickly leaves the room and proceeds to run down the hall like a madman to his office to make the call.

Please be what's happening. No disrespect to Byron.