Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags to hire Leftwich as next head coach!!

(02-03-2022, 08:33 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: I agree with much of what you said, but the portion in bold is not necessarily true.  We don't know what is said behind closed doors.  Leftwich may not have been their first choice.  They clearly offered him the job on the belief that he would work with Trent Baalke as GM.  Leftwich didn't reveal his ultimatum until after being offered the job.  Pederson may have been the Jaguars first choice as head coach but wasn't offered the job because he made his ultimatum clear during his first interview.  It could be ditto for 3 other coaches as well.  For all we know, Leftwich could have been their fifth choice.  Everyone else just made their ultimatums clear up-front.

Then, after 30 days of interviewing and searching, Khan realized that no good head coaching candidate would accept the position with Baalke in sole control of personnel.  As such, he comes up with a compromise.  What if Baalke is still employed, but a VP of Football Operations (Spielman) would be put over him and would have final say over all personnel decisions?  They then go back to their first choice, Doug Pederson, to see if that is acceptable.  He agrees to a second interview and considers accepting a job.  

I fully admit this is speculation, but it is also speculation to assume that Leftwich was their first choice.  We don't know how many were not offered the job because they refused to work with Baalke.

Very plausible scenario of how it all played out.  But of course goes back to that unanswered question as to why Shad feels the need to center the entire coaching search around who will work with Baalke and under what circumstance will a coach find it acceptable to have Baalke as part of the organization.  It really is bizarre.  And it's not as though Baalke has been here long enough to develop some kind of deep personal relationship with Shad.  Heck Shad isn't in town long enough for that to happen.  It's very possible if not likely he was completely oblivious to how the rest of the league felt about Baalke, but when it dawned on him halfway through these interviews, did he feel it was too late to make a change?  Is it possible it's just a contract thing where Shad doesnt want to have to pay out Meyer and Baalke's contract all at once?  Hopefully at some point in the future we'll get an idea of how this all went down.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2022, 10:28 PM by TheDuke007.)

(02-03-2022, 07:24 PM)FraudKhan Wrote: If you were a coach, would you want to be here? I would think giving a coach their first HC position would be one of the only ways to get anyone decent. Anyone who comes here clearly has the odds against them.

Every job has its pro's and con's.  Yes, they had a bad team last year, but that also means low expectations.  They also have opportunities to turn it around.  Jacksonville has a potential franchise quarterback under a rookie deal, a ton of space under the salary cap, the top draft pick in each round, an extra early 3rd rounder, and multiple extra late round picks.  Unless there are off the field issues such Meyer, the owner has also shown to be incredibly loyal to his staff.  Gus Bradley was given 4 years as head coach and Dave Caldwell was given 8 years as general manager despite terrible records.  From a non-football perspective, you live in a location with warm weather, the beach and no state income tax.  If it weren't for Baalke, I would actually find it a highly desirable head coaching job.

(02-03-2022, 07:54 PM)Craigukjag Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 07:51 PM)Sibelius Wrote: Or . . . it could take a few days to negotiate contracts for Pederson and Spielman both?

He interviewed for the saints job the next day knowing at this stage he’s the only candidate for this job. he can’t of been begging for the job that much

It's smart on his part to interview for the Saints job even if he has zero intention of taking it.  Having another option is leverage in contract negotiations with the Jaguars.

Can we please charge the name of this thread that clearly jinxed us from getting Leftwich? It is way over due.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(02-03-2022, 08:21 PM)Sibelius Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 08:16 PM)Eric1 Wrote: I'll laugh so hard if Pederson takes the Saints job, it'd fit in perfectly with how this entire coaching search has gone.

It really would.

All we can hope is the Saints' salary cap issue is enough to keep him from taking that job. But the $$@$ show Khan has put on with this coach hunt really has to make anyone think about coming to Jacksonville.

It seems to have largely flown under the radar to many, but I would consider the Saints to be the least desirable team in the entire NFL to coach in 2022 and beyond.  They are in complete and total salary cap hell which will take multiple years to fix.  Sean Payton fled the team for a reason.  The new head coach is going to be the fall guy.  Even if you absolutely hate Baalke, it's still a better job because it's at least possible that he gets fired or drops dead.  There's no hope that the Saints salary cap issues will just magically go away.  If I were Pederson, I would sit out another year instead of taking the Saints job.  The only person to take that job is either stupid or someone who knows that he will never ever get a head coaching job anywhere else.

(02-03-2022, 10:03 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: I agree, I do not understand the hype on Byron.  Many were saying hire him on Skin tone alone and that I find that extremely racist.  Yes he won a ring with the Goat and had a good year with Winston.  I do not believe OC to Head coach is an easy transition especially in this mess.

Have you ever listened to a word that has come out of the mouth of anyone who has ever played or worked with him? Clearly not.

(02-03-2022, 10:56 PM)Upper Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 10:03 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: I agree, I do not understand the hype on Byron.  Many were saying hire him on Skin tone alone and that I find that extremely racist.  Yes he won a ring with the Goat and had a good year with Winston.  I do not believe OC to Head coach is an easy transition especially in this mess.

Have you ever listened to a word that has come out of the mouth of anyone who has ever played or worked with him? Clearly not.

You already know the answer to that question, no point in even asking.

(02-03-2022, 10:03 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 08:42 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: Not many other NFL teams did.  Outside of Jacksonville, there are/were 8 NFL head coaching openings.  Only 1 interviewed him and 0 gave him a second interview.  I like Byron, but some on here act like he walked on water and was the greatest head coaching candidate of all time.  He got fairly minimal interest outside of Jacksonville.

I agree, I do not understand the hype on Byron.  Many were saying hire him on Skin tone alone and that I find that extremely racist.  Yes he won a ring with the Goat and had a good year with Winston.  I do not believe OC to Head coach is an easy transition especially in this mess.

Boy, yet another great take from the board's resident mensa member.

(02-03-2022, 10:32 PM)Dimson Wrote: Can we please charge the name of this thread that clearly jinxed us from getting Leftwich? It is way over due.

This thread should be pinned as a reminder and as a study on jumping the gun, having only a handful of puzzle pieces for a 1000 piece puzzle and filling in the rest yourself, assuming opinion as fact, citing another message board post as a “source”, favoring a particular outcome for non-football reasons, pretending you aren’t Bevell or in some way related to him, anointing another fan as the Oracle of Duval and discovering quickly that not to be the case, hollow threats to abandon your fandom, pretending you have a clue, pretending you’re somehow “fighting the good fight”…

I could go on and these are not aimed at you specifically but you get the idea.

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2022, 11:14 PM by Eric1. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-03-2022, 11:07 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 10:32 PM)Dimson Wrote: Can we please charge the name of this thread that clearly jinxed us from getting Leftwich? It is way over due.

This thread should be pinned as a reminder and as a study on jumping the gun, having only a handful of puzzle pieces for a 1000 piece puzzle and filling in the rest yourself, assuming opinion as fact, citing another message board post as a “source”, favoring a particular outcome for non-football reasons, pretending you aren’t Bevell or in some way related to him, anointing another fan as the Oracle of Duval and discovering quickly that not to be the case, hollow threats to abandon your fandom, pretending you have a clue, pretending you’re somehow “fighting the good fight”…

I could go on and these are not aimed at you specifically but you get the idea.

The gun was never jumped, 4 or 5 different people (who have no ties or care about the Jags) confirmed it was all but a done deal. They were literally sitting at the table drawing up the paper work when things fell apart. All because Khan and Baalke have some kind of secret weird relationship. Either that, or Baalke has a bunch of dirt on Khan and is blackmailing him, because nothing else makes any sense on why he's so madly in love with Baalke.

So, it's Pederson. As of 3 - 5 minutes ago.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Can we delete this thread now?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(02-03-2022, 11:55 PM)Dimson Wrote: Can we delete this thread now?

No it should be merged with the Wilson thread and resurrected annually as a tribute to ownership.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Does this mean we can stop projecting uninformed personal opinions as fact now?

(02-04-2022, 02:04 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Does this mean we can stop projecting uninformed personal opinions as fact now?

So people from Arizona and Tampa have uninformed and personal opinions about the Jags now?

That's rich coming from somebody who ate up everything Urban Meyer said and was vouching for him every chance you could get.

(02-04-2022, 02:48 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(02-04-2022, 02:04 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Does this mean we can stop projecting uninformed personal opinions as fact now?

So people from Arizona and Tampa have uninformed and personal opinions about the Jags now?

That's rich coming from somebody who ate up everything Urban Meyer said and was vouching for him every chance you could get.

Feel better now?

I think Byron has a really good shot to boost his HC stock this coming season as the Bucs OC post Brady. I don't see why they wouldn't continue to have success in what seems to be a weak NFC South next year with Trask or a FA they bring in.. I have a good feeling he will get a head gig at some point in the near future and do well in that role. I don't think he was the best fit for us at this particular time for this franchise, but I could be wrong. Guys like McVay seem to have made it work.

So we are all agreed? Dilla was played like a fiddle by Leftwich's manager? Seemed a good hire to bring the quiet guy who organises championship teams. This organisation has had enough drama. Time for people who work more than they gossip.

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2022, 08:03 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-03-2022, 10:16 PM)rfc17 Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 08:33 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: I agree with much of what you said, but the portion in bold is not necessarily true.  We don't know what is said behind closed doors.  Leftwich may not have been their first choice.  They clearly offered him the job on the belief that he would work with Trent Baalke as GM.  Leftwich didn't reveal his ultimatum until after being offered the job.  Pederson may have been the Jaguars first choice as head coach but wasn't offered the job because he made his ultimatum clear during his first interview.  It could be ditto for 3 other coaches as well.  For all we know, Leftwich could have been their fifth choice.  Everyone else just made their ultimatums clear up-front.

Then, after 30 days of interviewing and searching, Khan realized that no good head coaching candidate would accept the position with Baalke in sole control of personnel.  As such, he comes up with a compromise.  What if Baalke is still employed, but a VP of Football Operations (Spielman) would be put over him and would have final say over all personnel decisions?  They then go back to their first choice, Doug Pederson, to see if that is acceptable.  He agrees to a second interview and considers accepting a job.  

I fully admit this is speculation, but it is also speculation to assume that Leftwich was their first choice.  We don't know how many were not offered the job because they refused to work with Baalke.

Very plausible scenario of how it all played out.  But of course goes back to that unanswered question as to why Shad feels the need to center the entire coaching search around who will work with Baalke and under what circumstance will a coach find it acceptable to have Baalke as part of the organization.  It really is bizarre.  And it's not as though Baalke has been here long enough to develop some kind of deep personal relationship with Shad.  Heck Shad isn't in town long enough for that to happen.  It's very possible if not likely he was completely oblivious to how the rest of the league felt about Baalke, but when it dawned on him halfway through these interviews, did he feel it was too late to make a change?  Is it possible it's just a contract thing where Shad doesnt want to have to pay out Meyer and Baalke's contract all at once?  Hopefully at some point in the future we'll get an idea of how this all went down.

Good points.  The number 1 goal of the search should have been about who can best develop Trevor Lawrence and get the team on track.  Instead, it appeared the number 1 goal of the search was finding someone willing to work with Trent Baalke.  That was crazy.

It all worked out in the end. That said, I think Leftwich is going to be a great coach.

Took way to long for the process, but I think we finally got our top guy. If we could of fired Baalke at season end we could of got him over a month ago.