Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags to hire Leftwich as next head coach!!

(02-04-2022, 07:57 AM)OzJohnnie Wrote: So we are all agreed?  Dilla was played like a fiddle by Leftwich's manager?  Seemed a good hire to bring the quiet guy who organises championship teams.  This organisation has had enough drama.  Time for people who work more than they gossip.

No.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Still embarrassing it’s very clear we didn’t get our first choice and that we pandered to Baalke.

I wish Doug the best. But I think the damage done to the franchise management is irreversible.

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2022, 08:39 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

The Leftwich situation reminds me of the Yawn situation. Had a HC opportunity and turned it down. He may never get another HC opportunity again. Hopefully the Bucs can trade for A Rod

(02-04-2022, 08:35 AM)BristolianJaguar Wrote: Still embarrassing it’s very clear we didn’t get our first choice and that we pandered to Baalke.

I wish Doug the best. But I think the damage done to the franchise management is irreversible.

I think we did get our first choice.  It was pondered to Baalke but Tony pushed hard and I believe Spielman was the reason we were able to get him back thankfully

(02-03-2022, 06:04 PM)YouMadThough Wrote: The Florida Times-Union reports “the chatter” at the Senior Bowl is Bucs OC Byron Leftwich made it known he couldn't work with Jaguars GM Trent Baalke. 

This is all conjecture that has been vaguely alluded to at this point, but here it is out in the open. All momentum was pointing towards the Jaguars hiring Leftwich in the middle of last week before he presented Adrian Wilson as a GM candidate and suggested he wouldn't want to work with embattled current GM Baalke. The Jaguars are currently in a holding pattern as they try to find a head coach and GM who actually will want to work together, with the current heavy rumor being Rick Spielman, Doug Peterson, and Baalke employed but reporting to Spielman.

When this is all said and done you know a lot of Duval's eyes will be focused on how the careers of Leftwich and Wilson play out.

I don't think this will be a blemish on Byron's resume, but I'm not a pasty white old billionaire who owns an NFL franchise. Their brains may not work the same as us peasants.

(02-04-2022, 08:37 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: The Leftwich situation reminds me of the Yawn situation.  Had a HC opportunity and turned it down.  He may never get another HC opportunity again.  Hopefully the Bucs can trade for A Rod

(02-04-2022, 08:35 AM)BristolianJaguar Wrote: Still embarrassing it’s very clear we didn’t get our first choice and that we pandered to Baalke.

I think we did get our first choice.  It was pondered to Baalke but Tony pushed hard and I believe Spielman was the reason we were able to get him back thankfully
The bold is such a bad take but you're good at bad takes so it fits.

(02-03-2022, 06:23 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 06:11 PM)nhiverson Wrote: Will Pederson get us to a super bowl how many coaches in history have took two different teams to the super bowl? Probably not many. I just have a bad feeling about him just like Urban.

Shula, Vermiel, Reid, Parcells, Holmgren are the ones that leap to mind.

Reeves with the failcons and broncs? He lost em all, though.

(02-04-2022, 09:49 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 06:23 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Shula, Vermiel, Reid, Parcells, Holmgren are the ones that leap to mind.

Reeves with the failcons and broncs? He lost em all, though.

I remembered Reeves and Fox in another post-possibly in another thread.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(02-03-2022, 06:38 PM)OzJohnnie Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 05:46 PM)Jag88 Wrote: Sucks about leftwitch about to withdraw himself. Smh

Has this come out somewhere?  If it has, remember that it's often a defensive measure to avoid the stain of being rejected.  When it becomes obvious a candidate won't be selected, he'll often drop out of the process rather than let everyone know he got a 'No'.  He remains a more viable candidate for future opportunities.  As he's looking to step up into his first HC gig, I think this is more likely than not in Leftwich's case.  Particularly likely given the hype train his agent was running.

If there's a coach stepping down to Jacksonville and the role, like Pederson, who rejects then I think it's more likely a genuine 'No'.

Were this any franchise other than Jacksonville, I don't think he'd have given them the time he did once he made his demand.

At some point, patience wears thin, and reality sets in. The team wasn't moving in the direction he wanted (did they ever approach or speak to Wilson?), and once news of Spielman's interview made the news, it was pretty apparent they wanted to find some other solution.

I wish him luck, but ain't gonna lie that I'd have been interested to see what he could do here.

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2022, 09:59 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 2 times in total.)

(02-04-2022, 09:47 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-04-2022, 08:37 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: The Leftwich situation reminds me of the Yawn situation.  Had a HC opportunity and turned it down.  He may never get another HC opportunity again.  Hopefully the Bucs can trade for A Rod

I said "may" he might but it's not guaranteed.  Its comical you think it's a guarantee he will be a HC one day.  I hope he can become a HC one day but I'm not sure he will be a hotter candidate than he is now after learning from Brady these last 2 years and he only had 2 teams interested unless I missed one.  Brady is gone, no AB, no Gronk,  maybe no LF, and Godwin is a FA so hopefullythey can keep him.  They do still have one of the best WRs in the league in Evans amd a good oline.  Hopefully they can trade for ARod or Trask is the real deal but they don't have the GOAT anymore and the All Star offense is gone unless they can have a great FA and get ARod.

(02-04-2022, 09:55 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-04-2022, 09:47 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: The bold is such a bad take but you're good at bad takes so it fits.

I said "may" he might but it's not guaranteed.  Its comical you think it's a guarantee he will be a HC one day.  I hope he can become a HC one day but I'm not sure he will be a hotter candidate than he is now after learning from Brady these last 2 years and he only had 2 teams interested unless I missed one.  Brady is gone, no AB, no Gronk,  maybe no LF, and Godwin is a FA so hopefullythey can keep him.  They do still have one of the best WRs in the league in Evans amd a good oline.  Hopefully they can trade for ARod or Trask is the real deal but they don't have the GOAT anymore and the All Star offense is gone unless they can have a great FA and get ARod.
But your statement means nothing.

I never said it's a guarantee but your statement implies that this was likely his one and only shot. He's young, smart, and a great leader.

(02-04-2022, 10:01 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-04-2022, 09:55 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I said "may" he might but it's not guaranteed.  Its comical you think it's a guarantee he will be a HC one day.  I hope he can become a HC one day but I'm not sure he will be a hotter candidate than he is now after learning from Brady these last 2 years and he only had 2 teams interested unless I missed one.  Brady is gone, no AB, no Gronk,  maybe no LF, and Godwin is a FA so hopefullythey can keep him.  They do still have one of the best WRs in the league in Evans amd a good oline.  Hopefully they can trade for ARod or Trask is the real deal but they don't have the GOAT anymore and the All Star offense is gone unless they can have a great FA and get ARod.
But your statement means nothing.

I never said it's a guarantee but your statement implies that this was likely his one and only shot. He's young, smart, and a great leader.

Read it again, you missed the "may". You're confused again as usual miss.  I don't think this is his one and only shot, but this might be his best shot by having Brady, Gronk, Evans, Godwin, LF etc. If their offense goes from being the top offense to say middle of the pack, I don't think that will make him a hotter HC candidate than he is now.  Which I don't see their offensive being top 10 next year if they lose Godwin, Gronk, and LF, unless they get ARod.

(02-04-2022, 10:11 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-04-2022, 10:01 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: But your statement means nothing.

Read it again, you missed the "may". You're confused again as usual miss.  I don't think this is his one and only shot, but this might be his best shot by having Brady, Gronk, Evans, Godwin, LF etc. If their offense goes from being the top offense to say middle of the pack, I don't think that will make him a hotter HC candidate than he is now.  Which I don't see their offensive being top 10 next year if they lose Godwin, Gronk, and LF, unless they get ARod.
I'm not sure you know what the word "implies" means so that's ok.

English is hard.

(02-03-2022, 07:17 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 06:59 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: We do have scouts there but i have faith in Spielman to draft some good players.  I'm sure he's been scouting most of these guys the whole college season.  Plus we have the combine coming up

Maybe I'm ignorant about the Senior Bowl, but aren't the most desirable players going to end up leaving early anyway and won't play in this game? You're certainly a better developed and more experienced player after 4 to 5 years in college, but on average the level of talent playing in the Senior Bowl is probably lower than the average level of talent of players leaving early because they're more desired.  I guess its good for the later round picks to eval this game?  Asking sincerely

That's the thing, a good GM is the one nailing those mid-to-late picks. Anybody with a pulse should be able to find good players in the first round or two.
If everyone else is there and you are not, you're putting yourself at a disadvantage, no matter how small a disadvantage that may be.

(02-04-2022, 10:16 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-04-2022, 10:11 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Read it again, you missed the "may". You're confused again as usual miss.  I don't think this is his one and only shot, but this might be his best shot by having Brady, Gronk, Evans, Godwin, LF etc. If their offense goes from being the top offense to say middle of the pack, I don't think that will make him a hotter HC candidate than he is now.  Which I don't see their offensive being top 10 next year if they lose Godwin, Gronk, and LF, unless they get ARod.
I'm not sure you know what the word "implies" means so that's ok.

English is hard.
I implied that I think this was his best shot, yes.  Not his only.  I don't think his offense will ever be as good as it was these last 2 years.

(02-04-2022, 09:47 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:

I was going to say that but didn't get into some stupid back-and-forth.  Thanks.

(02-03-2022, 07:29 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 07:18 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:  Leftwich may end up being a successful HC eventually.

Thats my point.   I do not want a guy who "maybe" or "could be" or "should be"   a good HC.   I want a HC like Pederson or even Caldwell that have done it before at a high level.

There's no guarantee that any coach you hire won't fizzle out, though. This blind belief that just because a coach was at this paygrade in the past instantly makes them failproof is so very flawed.

You make it like dealing with AB, trying to build an offense around the GOAT (who certainly wouldn't be silent if you weren't catering to his ability), or getting the best possible out of Jameis was nothing. Frankly, Pederson's end in Philly is an argument AGAINST your mindset that just because he's a coach, he's gonna handle adversity, toxicity, call it what you may in any more mature a manner.

(02-04-2022, 10:20 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-04-2022, 10:16 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I'm not sure you know what the word "implies" means so that's ok.

English is hard.
I implied that I think this was his best shot, yes.  Not his only.  I don't think his offense will ever be as good as it was these last 2 years.

Wow, there's a bold take.  Had possibly the best QB ever and without him his offense will not be as good.  Way to go out on a limb.

I think leftwich will be a head coach in this league. The guy is very intelligent, clearly knows how to get along with elite players, and he’s had a great mentor. For me, he is way more qualified than the Rams offensive coordinator who never even called his own plays.

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2022, 10:35 AM by Mikey.)

(02-03-2022, 10:03 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 08:42 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: Not many other NFL teams did.  Outside of Jacksonville, there are/were 8 NFL head coaching openings.  Only 1 interviewed him and 0 gave him a second interview.  I like Byron, but some on here act like he walked on water and was the greatest head coaching candidate of all time.  He got fairly minimal interest outside of Jacksonville.

I agree, I do not understand the hype on Byron.  Many were saying hire him on Skin tone alone and that I find that extremely racist.  Yes he won a ring with the Goat and had a good year with Winston.  I do not believe OC to Head coach is an easy transition especially in this mess.

Gonna need to cite some sources on that one, sunshine.

(02-03-2022, 11:04 PM)Khan Artist Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 10:03 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: I agree, I do not understand the hype on Byron.  Many were saying hire him on Skin tone alone and that I find that extremely racist.  Yes he won a ring with the Goat and had a good year with Winston.  I do not believe OC to Head coach is an easy transition especially in this mess.

Boy, yet another great take from the board's resident mensa member.

"voice of raisins" or something like that.

I think Leftwich made a principled position when he said he didn't want to work with Baalke. But specifying which GM he wants the team to hire was probably an overstep. Had they been interviewing Wilson for GM and he said he wanted Leftwich as HC, that makes more sense. But the HC demanding a certain person for GM?

Maybe he just recommended Wilson. That would make more sense.
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]