Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trading Down scenarios

(02-06-2022, 07:03 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-06-2022, 04:09 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Being a top 10 pick and trading up to get him at #1 overall are two entirely different things. Yes, supposedly Willis did have a good Senior Bowl week of practice, but in the actual game, he was a dumpster fire and that should concern any team wanting to draft him. He short-hopped passes, missed open reads, looked completely flustered when pressured and held the ball entirely too long. His athleticism and speed allowed him to make some good plays, but as a passer, he's way more raw than Lamar Jackson was coming out of college. I see RG3 2.0 when I watch Malik Willis. 

Kenny Pickett is the complete opposite. I hear he had a not so impressive week during Senior Bowl practices, but in the actual game, he looked far and away the best passer on the field. He was comfortable in the pocket, had decent mobility, made good reads and showed pretty good arm talent. He was 6/6 for 89 yards and a touchdown, while Willis was 2/4 for 11 yards. I just don't see any way someone trades up to #1 overall for either of these guys.

Agreed that being a top 10 pick and trading up to get him are two totally different things.

But there is also a difference between being a top 10 pick immediately after the Senior Bowl vs being a top QB prospect immediately before the draft.

Between the combines, interviews, individual workouts, and typical positional desperation, it's possible (if unlikely) that a QB prospect could climb the draft boards and cause some desperate team to reach for one up high.

Heck, Jamarcus Russell managed to go 1st overall, as did Jared Goff.

I think the circumstances involving more veteran QBs than usual that may become available (Rodgers, Garoppolo, Wilson, Watson, Cousinm Wentz) is what could change that dynamic this year.  But when the music stops playing post free agency pre draft, any team left without a proverbial seat could try to move up for one of those guys.

Not saying it would be an advisable move for them, but desperation causes teams to do dumb things.

Agreed. I guess I just cannot fathom the thought of moving any of those veteran QB's (with the exception of Watson who might go to prison,) in favor of one of these unimpressive rookie QB's. Especially when it comes to Rogers, Wilson, Cousins and Carr. All of those guys are much better than any QB coming out of this draft.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2022, 07:38 PM by Bullseye.)

(02-06-2022, 07:08 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-06-2022, 07:03 PM)Bullseye Wrote:   Agreed that being a top 10 pick and trading up to get him are two totally different things.

But there is also a difference between being a top 10 pick immediately after the Senior Bowl vs being a top QB prospect immediately before the draft.

Between the combines, interviews, individual workouts, and typical positional desperation, it's possible (if unlikely) that a QB prospect could climb the draft boards and cause some desperate team to reach for one up high.

Heck, Jamarcus Russell managed to go 1st overall, as did Jared Goff.

I think the circumstances involving more veteran QBs than usual that may become available (Rodgers, Garoppolo, Wilson, Watson, Cousinm Wentz) is what could change that dynamic this year.  But when the music stops playing post free agency pre draft, any team left without a proverbial seat could try to move up for one of those guys.

Not saying it would be an advisable move for them, but desperation causes teams to do dumb things.

Agreed. I guess I just cannot fathom the thought of moving any of those veteran QB's (with the exception of Watson who might go to prison,) in favor of one of these unimpressive rookie QB's. Especially when it comes to Rogers, Wilson, Cousins and Carr. All of those guys are much better than any QB coming out of this draft.

Speaking of veteran QBs, I might be inclined to take a chance on Darnold as a backup for Trevor, assuming Darnold became available.

He has struggled so far, but I doubt the surrounding talent and quality of coaching he received in New York and Carolina.  If he came at the right price, he would be a clear upgrade over Beathard.

(02-06-2022, 02:21 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Imagine trading multiple firsts and other picks for Malik Willis. That would be WILD.

It would be wild, especially since not only would it help us stock up with premium picks, but it would push at least one guy further down the draft boards than would otherwise be there at our new draft position.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2022, 08:07 PM by ChrisJagBoy.)

God I wish there was a QB worth the #1 pick so we could tempt one of the teams with 2 high 1's in this draft to givem up lol

(02-06-2022, 07:36 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-06-2022, 07:08 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Agreed. I guess I just cannot fathom the thought of moving any of those veteran QB's (with the exception of Watson who might go to prison,) in favor of one of these unimpressive rookie QB's. Especially when it comes to Rogers, Wilson, Cousins and Carr. All of those guys are much better than any QB coming out of this draft.

Speaking of veteran QBs, I might be inclined to take a chance on Darnold as a backup for Trevor, assuming Darnold became available.

He has struggled so far, but I doubt the surrounding talent and quality of coaching he received in New York and Carolina.  If he came at the right price, he would be a clear upgrade over Beathard.

(02-06-2022, 02:21 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Imagine trading multiple firsts and other picks for Malik Willis. That would be WILD.

It would be wild, especially since not only would it help us stock up with premium picks, but it would push at least one guy further down the draft boards than would otherwise be there at our new draft position.

I really don't think Darnold is an upgrade over Blaine Gabbert at this point. I've been wrong plenty of times on draft prospects but during that draft cycle when I said Sam Darnold at USC looked like Blake Bortles 2.0 I've never felt better about a prediction lmao.

I just don't see one of these mediocre QBs attracting a first pick trade with the Jags first pick. None of these QBs were that stunning at the Senior Bowl. I am hoping that one of the OTs or DEs have "Freak" displays at the pro days and combine, to entice a trade.

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2022, 09:16 PM by Bullseye.)

(02-06-2022, 08:05 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: God I wish there was a QB worth the #1 pick so we could tempt one of the teams with 2 high 1's in this draft to givem up lol

(02-06-2022, 07:36 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Speaking of veteran QBs, I might be inclined to take a chance on Darnold as a backup for Trevor, assuming Darnold became available.

I really don't think Darnold is an upgrade over Blaine Gabbert at this point. I've been wrong plenty of times on draft prospects but during that draft cycle when I said Sam Darnold at USC looked like Blake Bortles 2.0 I've never felt better about a prediction lmao.
LOL.

Well I can't definitevely say you're wrong.  Goodness knows I've had more than my share of misses...enough to last a lifetime.

Somtimes talented guys can end up in bad situations. 

At this stage, I don't think Darnold is an ideal starter, but as I said...better than Beathard.

(02-06-2022, 08:19 PM)ATLjag Wrote: I just don't see one of these mediocre QBs attracting a first pick trade with the Jags first pick.  None of these QBs were that stunning at the Senior Bowl.  I am hoping that one of the OTs or DEs have "Freak" displays at the pro days and combine, to entice a trade.

Gerneally I am inclined to agree at this point...but you never knw.

Fortunately, QB is not the only position that might entice a team to move up into that top spot.

(02-06-2022, 08:19 PM)ATLjag Wrote: I just don't see one of these mediocre QBs attracting a first pick trade with the Jags first pick.  None of these QBs were that stunning at the Senior Bowl.  I am hoping that one of the OTs or DEs have "Freak" displays at the pro days and combine, to entice a trade.

Hutchinson is supposedly a "freak athlete" that is gonna test really well. If he does, given his production in college, I'd be inclined to keep that pick and draft him. Right now, I have him and Thibodeaux almost neck and neck and they are far out in front of my #3 prospect, CB Ahmad Gardner.

(02-06-2022, 10:12 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Hutchinson is supposedly a "freak athlete" that is gonna test really well. If he does, given his production in college, I'd be inclined to keep that pick and draft him. Right now, I have him and Thibodeaux almost neck and neck and they are far out in front of my #3 prospect, CB Ahmad Gardner.

I just don't know how people can watch him and see anything that screams freak athlete. I watched JJ Watt, Aaron Donald, Thibodeaux, hell even Taven Bryan you could see the freak athleticism jump off the screen. Hutchinson doesn't look like any of them.

I think Michigan lies through their teeth and Bruce Feldman buys it hook, line, and sinker. They said Kwity Paye runs an all time best for any position 6.3s 3 cone and then Paye conveniently refused to run one in any pre draft tests. Now it does look like Paye has good bend on tape, but nothing extremely special much less special for any position.

I think they are lying about Hutchinson's 6.5s 3 cone too, and again Feldman bought it and that lie has spread like wildfire. You can not watch Shipley's clip of Hutch windmilling around the edge looking like Andre Branch 2.0 and think that guy has an all time great 3 cone. I hope I'm wrong and Hutch goes to the combine and blows it out of the water, but I will guess right now that he finds a way to do some useless 40 yard and bench press or something and skips the 3 cones and jumps and rests on his "freak list" bigfoot legends.

(02-06-2022, 10:47 PM)Upper Wrote:
(02-06-2022, 10:12 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Hutchinson is supposedly a "freak athlete" that is gonna test really well. If he does, given his production in college, I'd be inclined to keep that pick and draft him. Right now, I have him and Thibodeaux almost neck and neck and they are far out in front of my #3 prospect, CB Ahmad Gardner.

I just don't know how people can watch him and see anything that screams freak athlete. I watched JJ Watt, Aaron Donald, Thibodeaux, hell even Taven Bryan you could see the freak athleticism jump off the screen. Hutchinson doesn't look like any of them.

I think Michigan lies through their teeth and Bruce Feldman buys it hook, line, and sinker. They said Kwity Paye runs an all time best for any position 6.3s 3 cone and then Paye conveniently refused to run one in any pre draft tests. Now it does look like Paye has good bend on tape, but nothing extremely special much less special for any position.

I think they are lying about Hutchinson's 6.5s 3 cone too, and again Feldman bought it and that lie has spread like wildfire. You can not watch Shipley's clip of Hutch windmilling around the edge looking like Andre Branch 2.0 and think that guy has an all time great 3 cone. I hope I'm wrong and Hutch goes to the combine and blows it out of the water, but I will guess right now that he finds a way to do some useless 40 yard and bench press or something and skips the 3 cones and jumps and rests on his "freak list" bigfoot legends.

We shall see.

I actually think a more realistic trade down scenario will be at the top of the 2nd round.

Usually that should see a lot of attention because there is a pause between day 1 and day 2. A guy will invariably fall and teams will think about it and want to move up, and they won't necessarily have to pay a boatload of picks to do so. I think depending on the positions the team thinks are the deepest in the draft, who the team signs in free agency, etc., I could see a trade back for some more mid round picks, especially since Baalke and Spielman, assuming he comes aboard, like trading back.

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2022, 10:16 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-04-2022, 04:52 AM)Black and Teal Wrote: I don’t know if it’s possible, I doubt it. But trading down is probably the best move for the franchise. Any scenarios?
1. Aidan Hutchinson destroys the combine and drives his stock up
2. Kayvon Thibodeaux destroys the combine and drives his stock up
3. Malik Willis, spending all week with the Lions coaching staff, builds a strong pitch at the Senior Bowl (maybe the Lions gives us a second to move up and insure Willis).

This might come off as a bit snarky, but for me, the whole idea of trading up was predicated on the idea that we don't like the #1 pick enough to want to keep it.  If Hutchinson or Thibodeaux destroy the combine and drive their stock up, then I would want to keep the #1 pick.  Not trade it.

However, that said, I will still read the rest of the posts in this thread with interest.

I do not expect the Jags to find a trading partner willing to give up enough for us to trade out of the #1 pick. That is unless we discount it a whole lot, more than we should. My memory is the #2 or #3 pick is where you can get appropriate value. The first pick in the second round is another matter. That is probably our best chance to trade back and get enough to make it worth while. It seems someone always falls to the second round another team covets. Same goes for our 3rd round pick. Since this is based upon casual observations of the draft over the years and not research I could be wrong (again..LOL)
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(02-07-2022, 09:46 AM)Bullseye Wrote: I actually think a more realistic trade down scenario will be at the top of the 2nd round.

Usually that should see a lot of attention because there is a pause between day 1 and day 2.  A guy will invariably fall and teams will think about it and want to move up, and they won't necessarily have to pay a boatload of picks to do so.  I think depending on the positions the team thinks are the deepest in the draft, who the team signs in free agency, etc., I could see a trade back for some more mid round picks, especially since Baalke and Spielman, assuming he comes aboard, like trading back.

My guess would be the Jaguars would approach either Atlanta or Denver with the Jaguars receiving the 2nd and 3rd rounders for pick 33. The Jaguars benefit by getting one additional draft pick in the top 75 without having to drop down too far in round 2. It will be interesting to see whether our brass are willing to pass on a player still available who they'd love to have- especially if they play a position of great need such as receiver, offensive line, edge rusher or tight end. If they believe that Jahan Dotson is by far the best receiver available, will they be willing to make the trade and settle for someone like Tolbert or David Bell in the 3rd round plus a 2nd rounder like Enagbare who'd be a solid pick if they pass on an Edge rusher in round 1. Due to the strength of this draft in rounds 2 and 3, I'd make this trade.

(02-07-2022, 06:12 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(02-07-2022, 09:46 AM)Bullseye Wrote: I actually think a more realistic trade down scenario will be at the top of the 2nd round.

Usually that should see a lot of attention because there is a pause between day 1 and day 2.  A guy will invariably fall and teams will think about it and want to move up, and they won't necessarily have to pay a boatload of picks to do so.  I think depending on the positions the team thinks are the deepest in the draft, who the team signs in free agency, etc., I could see a trade back for some more mid round picks, especially since Baalke and Spielman, assuming he comes aboard, like trading back.

My guess would be the Jaguars would approach either Atlanta or Denver with the Jaguars receiving the 2nd and 3rd rounders for pick 33. The Jaguars benefit by getting one additional draft pick in the top 75 without having to drop down too far in round 2. It will be interesting to see whether our brass are willing to pass on a player still available who they'd love to have- especially if they play a position of great need such as receiver, offensive line, edge rusher or tight end. If they believe that Jahan Dotson is by far the best receiver available, will they be willing to make the trade and settle for someone like Tolbert or David Bell in the 3rd round plus a 2nd rounder like Enagbare who'd be a solid pick if they pass on an Edge rusher in round 1. Due to the strength of this draft in rounds 2 and 3, I'd make this trade.
If Dotson is there at 33 you take him.   I don't think Spielman trades back this year being we already have 12 picks

(02-07-2022, 06:58 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-07-2022, 06:12 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: My guess would be the Jaguars would approach either Atlanta or Denver with the Jaguars receiving the 2nd and 3rd rounders for pick 33. The Jaguars benefit by getting one additional draft pick in the top 75 without having to drop down too far in round 2. It will be interesting to see whether our brass are willing to pass on a player still available who they'd love to have- especially if they play a position of great need such as receiver, offensive line, edge rusher or tight end. If they believe that Jahan Dotson is by far the best receiver available, will they be willing to make the trade and settle for someone like Tolbert or David Bell in the 3rd round plus a 2nd rounder like Enagbare who'd be a solid pick if they pass on an Edge rusher in round 1. Due to the strength of this draft in rounds 2 and 3, I'd make this trade.
If Dotson is there at 33 you take him.   I don't think Spielman trades back this year being we already have 12 picks

We could certainly use his explosive speed.  If Chark leaves, we have nobody on the roster that can get vertical separation.

That said, given Pederson's philosophy of building from the trenches, it would not surprise me if this is an OL pick, especially if we go edge rusher first.

(02-07-2022, 08:06 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-07-2022, 06:58 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If Dotson is there at 33 you take him.   I don't think Spielman trades back this year being we already have 12 picks

We could certainly use his explosive speed.  If Chark leaves, we have nobody on the roster that can get vertical separation.

That said, given Pederson's philosophy of building from the trenches, it would not surprise me if this is an OL pick, especially if we go edge rusher first.

I think we go oline in FA, we shall see

We need to get as many top ~115 picks as possible. After you get past the very early 4th (but ideally 3rd) history shows hit rates drop off like a rock. I would be very interested in trading down as long as we're getting picks above that threshold, and I would be trading as many of our extra late picks as possible to get picks right around 100.

(02-07-2022, 08:06 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-07-2022, 06:58 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If Dotson is there at 33 you take him.   I don't think Spielman trades back this year being we already have 12 picks

I could see us taking Guard there though like Zion Johnson or Kenyon Green if he is there

We will have a much better idea of the Jaguars draft strategy following the Super Bowl when teams can begin re-signing or tagging their own free agents. Once free agency officially begins on March 16, we will learn whether the Jaguars are able to sign a high-priced/top 10 player- something which did not happen last year. If they are able to sign a top receiver in free agency and possibly sign Chark to a 1 year "prove-it" deal, wide receiver would no longer become a top priority come draft time. They could still add to this group as early as round 3, however, with someone like Jalen Tolbert or in round 4 with Khalil Shakhir. The same goes for the offensive tackle position where a decision must be made on Cam Robinson. Peterson's decision on Robinson will be determined by how much confidence he has in Walker Little. Little looked good in his brief stint starting at left tackle, but is Peterson willing to gamble on Little's vast potential with such a small sample size? If he lets Robinson walk, the chances of drafting Evan Neal increase greatly.

My curent preference is to part ways with Cam Robinson. He only gave up 1 sack last season, however his overall PFF ranking is average, at best. I'd rather use the $17-$20 million it would cost to tag him to go after another free agent(s) who could be counted on at a position of need. Chris Godwin will likely return to Tampa, but he'd be my first target since I can't see Armstead coming here to replace Robinson. If Godwin stays in Tampa, Mike Williams would be a solid alternative. There are several viable choices in the NFL draft who could do a better job at right tackle than Jawaan Taylor. The Jaguars could use their 2nd round pick on this position and still draft Hutchinson in round 1 if a viable trade offer does not come their way. Neal would be a "safe" pick since he could immediately be plugged in at either tackle position, but Hutchinson could be elite and greatly upgrade the pass rush.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2022, 01:58 PM by DTWD4∞. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-08-2022, 01:05 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: We will have a much better idea of the Jaguars draft strategy following the Super Bowl when teams can begin re-signing or tagging their own free agents. Once free agency officially begins on March 16, we will learn whether the Jaguars are able to sign a high-priced/top 10 player- something which did not happen last year. If they are able to sign a top receiver in free agency and possibly sign Chark to a 1 year "prove-it" deal, wide receiver would no longer become a top priority come draft time. They could still add to this group as early as round 3, however, with someone like Jalen Tolbert or in round 4 with Khalil Shakhir. The same goes for the offensive tackle position where a decision must be made on Cam Robinson. Peterson's decision on Robinson will be determined by how much confidence he has in Walker Little. Little looked good in his brief stint starting at left tackle, but is Peterson willing to gamble on Little's vast potential with such a small sample size? If he lets Robinson walk, the chances of drafting Evan Neal increase greatly.

My curent preference is to part ways with Cam Robinson. He only gave up 1 sack last season, however his overall PFF ranking is average, at best. I'd rather use the $17-$20 million it would cost to tag him to go after another free agent(s) who could be counted on at a position of need. Chris Godwin will likely return to Tampa, but he'd be my first target since I can't see Armstead coming here to replace Robinson. If Godwin stays in Tampa, Mike Williams would be a solid alternative. There are several viable choices in the NFL draft who could do a better job at right tackle than Jawaan Taylor. The Jaguars could use their 2nd round pick on this position and still draft Hutchinson in round 1 if a viable trade offer does not come their way. Neal would be a "safe" pick since he could immediately be plugged in at either tackle position, but Hutchinson could be elite and greatly upgrade the pass rush.

I think if Neal is the pick, it is for LT. Still resistant to the thought of a RT at #1 overall. The question is, can we get a Rt in the 2nd or 3rd round?  Saw Bullseye? post in another thread Cowboys may release Amari Cooper and Demarcus Lawrence. Scooping up Cooper could really help the WR room.  Add a Godwin type (I agree we won't get hom) #2 wr also in FA allows the Edge at 1st pick and Rt in 2nd or 3rd round and let Little take over LT. Then focus on IOL with FA and draft. We still need LBs and Dbs as well. IOL in the midrounds too but I would like at least one guard from FA.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2022, 01:58 PM by Upper. Edited 1 time in total.)

Why in the world would a guy whose career is starting it's downturn come sign with a cellar dweller whose past two regimes (and current GM) has been singled out as toxic by the NFLPA when every team except for the Saints has more than enough money to give him a giant contract? This isn't 2016 where only a few teams have the money to give Calais a giant contract, the salary cap took a huge leap post covid and every team has loads of money. I don't expect to get anyone in the top 20-30 FAs.