Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monroe Traded

Quote:Expect people to say "why couldn't we have done it before the draft"

Two reasons for me: The Jags owuld have made it obvious we where taking a LT and couldn't have attempted to trade down, which I believe they did.

And they wanted to see him in this team, like the quote from Long says, the coaches didn't like his cut blocking.

I said that exact first sentence a few times earlier in this thread....

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:C'mon FBT....you're smarter than that....

Of course Baltimore is going to sign him to a long term deal. They don't make this deal for a 12 game rental.....sheesh....you of all people I'd thought would understand this....

You have quite the knack for making an opinion, fact.

Monroe was the best OT from that draft year.  a 4th and 5th?  sigh.  I would have rather franchised him until we found a better suitor.  it wouldn't be bad to package that 4th OR 5th with our second to sneak into the first round though.

Quote:YAWN....no, NO he's not. He's going to re-sign a long term deal with the team that just traded for him. Thats the idea. That you buy into this "12 game rental" nonsense, is hilarious. 

The Ravens don't make that deal without a verbal agreement that Monroe is there for the long haul and will sign a new long term deal there. . 

It's absolutely 12 games, that's all that is guaranteed currently.  The Ravens may well be able to re-sign him earlier, or if his agent is smart he'll still see what offers he gets on the market. 

As a team with a lot more hope than ours, Monroe may choose to sign for them at no major premium above market, but he would almost certainly not have done so for us.  You can be sure, he wasn't staying with us unless we overpaid him. 

So again, what does keeping him do for us?  Our keeping him was predicated on being willing to overpay.  We can still overpay (if not for Monroe, then for another tackle) in FA, and have gained draft picks in the process. 

The world is truly ending.

Quote:I said that exact first sentence a few times earlier in this thread....

Doesn't mean they didn't try. If you  believe the tweet posted earlier, they reached out to Arizona and were told "no". Maybe they reached out to Baltimore earlier in the offseason and the Ravens weren't interested at that time.

;

;

Quote:Exactly.  Unless Baltimore moves quickly to sign him to an extension, they're not schooling anyone here.  They've signed a band aid for 12 games. 

We got a 4th and 5th for a player at a premium position.  That's something I have concerns about.  Granted, he could have walked at the end of the season and the team would have gotten nothing.  But, the franchise tag is always an option, and for a team that has as much cap room as this one does, even if we're paying him top 5 money (for a top 5 LT, BTW), so what? 

Trading him removes that from the equation.  I'm not a big fan of the move, but I understand it.  We'll know soon enough if Caldwell's quest to get more draft picks pans out or not.

Franchise tag for a tackle is 10 million bucks.  Not chump change for a team that seems to have confidence in their new LT and needs help at every position except special teams and WR.  After which, Monroe would be worthless as a trade option.

The band aid analogy is perfect, though.

Quote:I said that exact first sentence a few times earlier in this thread....
So what's the problem with the trade?

We could get a good RT in the mid rounds who we're not paying big bucks to, Joeckel is cheaper than Monroe would be so we're left with more picks and cap room to fill in the many holes this roster has.

Quote:You have quite the knack for making an opinion, fact.

Its not about making an opinion/ fact - its about using your head and actually understanding the moves that are being made. 

If you think that Baltimore made this deal without good confidence that they were signing Monroe long term, you are being delusional. 

Quote:Monroe was the best OT from that draft year.  a 4th and 5th?  sigh.  I would have rather franchised him until we found a better suitor.  

Me too....

Quote:Better be a 1st

A 4th and a 5th? Really?

If we can package them together to move up for a quality RT then ok. But I don't think we get someone of Monroe's skill in the 3rd round.

Regards.........................the Chiefjag

Just thinking out loud...

On the Richardson trade, if this was the Browns message board, and we had just traded our #3 overall pick for a late 1st rounder... im sure this board would be just as upset as they are now.

If we redid the Eugene Monroe draft, I personally wouldnt have took him at 10, knowing what I do now. If Caldwell drafts Teddy Bridgewater and packages those picks for a trade back up into the first, I think this trade works out great.

So lose with Monroe at LT and no compensation when he walks or lose without Monroe and get something as compensation? Don't like the idea of weakening a part of your team that is already questionable but it isn't like the QB was being protected much either way.

It makes the position match up watch more interesting for the next Ravens game but probably won't have much impact on the Jaguars train wreck season.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:I really don't know.  Based strictly on what we did actually get for him, I see two possible scenarios.

1. Caldwell did absolutely no testing the market with other teams and just took the first offer that came along.
  2. Caldwell did test the market, and this was the best offer out there.
So, which of those seems more likely?  Who honestly believes a GM of any NFL team wouldn't at least try the most likely trade candidates and gauge interest before doing this?

Isn't it just possible that a 12 game rental of Monroe wasn't as valuable as some here seem to think, and the best offer available was what we got?  And if that was the best offer, he just might not be as well regarded as some believe.

Or, you know, we can assume Caldwell is an idiot.  I know some people really enjoy getting worked up.

Hammer meets nail.

For the hard of reading, or for those who like to mischaracterize people and their positions on the message board let me be clear:

1.  I am not an "In Caldwell we trust" guy.  Ultimately I do not know whether he will succeed or not.  Way too soon to tell.

2.  I wanted more in trade for Monroe, but realize it may not have been in the cards for various reasons.

3.  While the team's performance to date is disheartening, it is not, by any stretch, a shock.  This was a 2-14 team last year, and high turnover was bound to affect team performance in an adverse way.  As such, a step backwards in year one of the new regime isn't indicative of failure, nor is it a guarantor of success.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 02:06 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:So what's the problem with the trade?

We could get a good RT in the mid rounds who we're not paying big bucks to, 

Thats quite a leap of faith...

The chances of finding a long term quality reliable ORT with a pick as late as that (the picks we acquired) is very low. 

Quote:A 4th and a 5th? Really?

If we can package them together to move up for a quality RT then ok. But I don't think we get someone of Monroe's skill in the 3rd round.

You're right. We got someone with more skill than Monroe in the last draft.

Which is exactly why you take Joeckel at 2.

He has the athletic ability to play LT at a high level.  If you have an OL need, you take the LT when you are in a position to get one.

Meanwhile, RTs can be found later in the draft.

Why do you think you'd need to move up to get a quality starting RT?

Of the starting RTs in the league, there is only one more starting first round RT than there are starting UDFA RTs.  Half of all starting RTs are round 3 and lower.

Erik Pears

UDFA

Tyson Claybo

UDFA

Sebastian Vollmer

Austin Howard

UDFA

Doug Free

Justin Pugh

Lane Johnson

Tyler Polumbus

UDFA

Michael Oher

Andre Smith

Mitchell Schwartz

Marcus Gilbert

Jordan Mills

Jason Fox

Don Barclay

UDFA

Derek Newton

Gosder Cherilus

David Stewart

Jeremy Trueblood

Byron Bell

UDFA

Zach Strief

Demar Dotson

UDFA

Orlando Frankin

Eric Fisher

Tony Pashos

DJ Fluker

Eric Winston

Rodger Saffold

Anthony Davis

Breno Giacomini

This move was inevitable the moment Joekel was drafted.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Thats quite a leap of faith...

The chances of finding a long term quality reliable ORT with a pick as late as that (the picks we acquired) is very low. 

In the 5th round?  Maybe. 

But you can certainly find a quality RT in the 3rd round, and use the extra 4th and 5th to fill lesser positions.

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 02:09 PM by dwolf.)

Quote:Monroe was the best OT from that draft year.  a 4th and 5th?  sigh.  I would have rather franchised him until we found a better suitor.  it wouldn't be bad to package that 4th OR 5th with our second to sneak into the first round though.

Monroe was the best from his year as it turned out but the only reason that is true is because nearly every other OT that year turned out to be garbage.  Saying that Monroe was the best in his year was like the Jags saying that Gabbert would have been the highest rated QB in the 2013 draft.

He was the big fish in a decidedly sad, ugly little pond.

Quote:Thats quite a leap of faith...

The truth blows this opinion out of the water.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Why do you think you'd need to move up to get a quality starting RT?

Of the starting RTs in the league, there is only one more starting first round RT than there are starting UDFA RTs.  Half of all starting RTs are round 3 and lower.

Erik Pears UDFA Tyson Claybo UDFA Sebastian Vollmer 2 Austin Howard UDFA Doug Free 4 Justin Pugh 1 Lane Johnson 1 Tyler Polumbus UDFA Michael Oher 1 Andre Smith 1 Mitchell Schwartz 2 Marcus Gilbert 2 Jordan Mills 5 Jason Fox   4 Don Barclay UDFA Derek Newton 7 Gosder Cherilus 1 David Stewart 3 Jeremy Trueblood 2 Byron Bell UDFA Zach Strief 7 Demar Dotson UDFA Orlando Frankin 2 Eric Fisher 1 Tony Pashos 5 DJ Fluker   1 Eric Winston 3 Rodger Saffold 2 Anthony Davis 1 Breno Giacomini 5

This move was inevitable the moment Joekel was drafted.

All of this ^